Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: April Game Director Letter Interview

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Age of Conan Game Director Craig Morrison recently released a new letter to the game's players for the month of April. MMORPG.com Managing Editor Jon Wood had the opportunity to ask the Conan boss a few questions about it in this interview.

Today Craig Morrison, the Game Director for Funcom’s Age of Conan, released the “Letter from the Game Director” for the month of April. The letter focuses primarily on the upcoming Update 1.05, nade reference to its progress and announced at least one new feature that players can expect to see. MMORPG.com had the opportunity to speak with Morrison about the letter and its contents.

“…there will be a new option for players who already have a character above level fifty,” Morrison said in the original letter. “All players with characters above level fifty will now have a one time option to create a new character that starts life at level fifty. This character can be of any class you want to make so you can jump straight into a different class after the update without having to go through the early leveling stages. This will be available to all players from here on in after they reach the milestone of leveling a character to level fifty.”

Read the April Game Director Letter Interview

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

What a horrible Idea! There is a reason most other mmorpgs dont do this, because it devalues class choices and the work thta goes into them.

• JpizzleJpizzle Member Posts: 371
    Originally posted by Rabenwolf

What a horrible Idea!

How exactly? They're giving people who are utterly dissappointed w/ the changes to there class, to the point where they don't want to play it any longer, to create a new "main" and be 62% of the way to the cap from the word go. How is that not good? It's not a free 80. There's still an amount of work to do.

I think it's genious personally. They're giving people not only to stay with the game, but try new classes w/out the early leveling (and sometimes difficult).

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Agree this may not be a good idea but then they are not known for listening to there player base.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA

There worried about subs nothing else.

MAGA
  • StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

There worried about subs nothing else.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but show me an MMO studio that isn't. *shrug* Remenmber, these are businesses first and foremost, every one of them.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

You are correct Stradden they are a busniess first but some folks who post here are close to religious zellots as far supporting Funcom goes. This company likes to play in the gray areas of things to much in my opion.

MAGA
  • DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Jpizzle

Originally posted by Rabenwolf

What a horrible Idea!

How exactly? They're giving people who are utterly dissappointed w/ the changes to there class, to the point where they don't want to play it any longer, to create a new "main" and be 62% of the way to the cap from the word go. How is that not good? It's not a free 80. There's still an amount of work to do.

I think it's genious personally. They're giving people not only to stay with the game, but try new classes w/out the early leveling (and sometimes difficult).

Its more like, they cant fix some of their classes since they were designed badly to begin with, while others are completely over powered and since the gimped classes are whining for a balance fix... instead they get the option for an easy reroll. What do you think you will see? Remember what happened when the Dread Knight came out in WoW? Everyone played that one class, really messing up the balance even more.

Regarding the early leveling and AoC... AoC from lvl 1-20 is the best and most balanced part of the game. I would hardly call an automatic lvl 50 class of your choice a "genius" idea. Its just another gimmick Funcom is willing to go through to keep another month or two of subs. Its really not an answer to the overall problem with the title.

• BeltenebrosBeltenebros Member Posts: 12

Sorry, Rabenwolf, it's called DEATH Knight, not Dread Knight !

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608

I dunno what they've been thinking or smoking but I do see it as ballsy.On the other hand this can be a critical blow to their subs when we know games such as Aion will hit the market in about 4 months

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

lol /level 50

Someone should have looked into that /level 20 worked out for Mythic back in DAoC

It's hard to find a better admission that your low level game is dead and no one new is sticking around than that.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Great Idea for the /bump to 50, One time only to try a new class out.

• Reward for having a higher level player already
    • Not scared to show off all the new endgame content plus all the stuff that is coming too. Confident in Content.
    • Combination of either free feat reset / hold cost
    • Good idea for players who like to level alts and have that choice there for themselves now

From level destiny quests take an upward turn, things tie in well.

I want to also make a comment on the community aspect media wise. AoC is getting a good name for itself with many comp's out there now promoting this. Example is  Machinima.com doing a $5000 Age of Conan Contest 

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

I think skipping to 50 is a horrible idea because it means that you're skipping what is still the best polished part of the game: Tortage & the first 20 levels. 

• Hammertime1Hammertime1 Member Posts: 619
    Originally posted by ericbelser

lol /level 50
    Someone should have looked into that /level 20 worked out for Mythic back in DAoC
    It's hard to find a better admission that your low level game is dead and no one new is sticking around than that.

Sadly, that is the most true statement in this thread.

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

In my opinion, this is a great idea.

Remember this ONLY applies to players who already have a character over lvl 50. The intention, no doubt, is to try and bring back players who left months ago and by creating a new lvl 50 toon they can jump straight into their "new" area of Ymirs Pass without having to do Tortage all over again, as well as the new high level dungeons later. Many players who left last year already have a level 80 toon and would not be able to fully appreciate this instance, or the content between that and level 80.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Troneas

In my opinion, this is a great idea.
    Remember this ONLY applies to players who already have a character over lvl 50. The intention, no doubt, is to try and bring back players who left months ago and by creating a new lvl 50 toon they can jump straight into their "new" area of Ymirs Pass without having to do Tortage all over again, as well as the new high level dungeons later. Many players who left last year already have a level 80 toon and would not be able to fully appreciate this instance, or the content between that and level 80.

This ^^

He does mention there is more "news" coming soon. I wonder if this is getting ready for a "winback" program as well.

Would make perfect sense.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Just for all You nay sayers that are saying that a level 50 start will ruin the game/balance/expierience etc ... Its a one time option. Means once you make yourself that one level 50 char you cant redo it, you can delete it and make a new level 50. Personally i find it a neat idea since as much as i liked Tortage part of AoC it does get annoying after 3-4 chars you got through it, and saying 1-20 is most balanced is a bit off since, from the pvp PoV, its more of rogue archetype heaven for easy PvP exp.

• WolfkroneWolfkrone Member Posts: 116
    Originally posted by Ezhae

Just for all You nay sayers that are saying that a level 50 start will ruin the game/balance/expierience etc ... Its a one time option. Means once you make yourself that one level 50 char you cant redo it, you can delete it and make a new level 50. Personally i find it a neat idea since as much as i liked Tortage part of AoC it does get annoying after 3-4 chars you got through it, and saying 1-20 is most balanced is a bit off since, from the pvp PoV, its more of rogue archetype heaven for easy PvP exp.

This ^.

I've done Tortage at least 15 times now, it's boring after the second try. It's actually the reason why I avoid making new characters.

The fact they are allowing a brand new level 50 character (which is not halfway, by the way, level 60 would be halfway in reality) just shows that they have confidence in the game's mid to end game, which in my opinion is a good sign.

Tried: WoW
    Played: EQ, EQII, AO, SWG, NGE-SWG, LoTRO, WAR, Vanguard, Eve, WWIIOL, Guild Wars, Darkfall, AoC.
    Playing: DAoC.
    Waiting For: SW:TOR.