Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Top Ten Games That Should Be MMOs

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com Managing Editor Jon Wood counts down the Top 10 video games that should be made into MMOs.

The game World of Warcraft has become synonymous with the MMORPG genre, and why shouldn't it? The game's subscriptions numbers speak volumes, its boxes dominate shelves in video game stores, TV shows parody it while its commercials run on another channel. The reasons for WoW's dominance in the video game industry are many and varied and could be debated for hours. One thing that can not be argued though is that Warcraft's popularity as a pre existing video game franchise played a role.

With that in mind, MMORPG.com presents a list of the top ten video games that should be made into MMOs:

Read the Top Ten Games That Should Be MMOs

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

you forgot 2

1) Elder Scrolls Online

2) Fallout Online

both game series revolutionized the CRPG Experience that no other game has come close to

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• lvluplvlup Member UncommonPosts: 33

Elder Scrolls? Fallout 3?

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by lvlup

ditto and ditto.

Those would be AMAZING mmorpgs.

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by lvlup

Guys,

Trying to avoid games that are being made... As to the other games, opnions will differ ;)

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• roalandroaland Member UncommonPosts: 185

I know your talking about video games made into MMOs but Rifts should be on there somewhere. Its perfect for an MMO. YOu could just take the original core book and make an MMO out of it. And the expantions could be the other side books they have out. its brilliant i say.....

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by roaland

I know your talking about video games made into MMOs but Rifts should be on there somewhere. Its perfect for an MMO. YOu could just take the original core book and make an MMO out of it. And the expantions could be the other side books they have out. its brilliant i say.....

I completely agree. Another list for another day :)

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663
    Originally posted by akiira69

you forgot 2
    1) Elder Scrolls Online
    2) Fallout Online
    both game series revolutionized the CRPG Experience that no other game has come close to

Yeah, seriously. How could someone just brush over two of the most popular rpg's to date.

Elder scrolls online: tying all the old elder scrolls like morrowind, oblivion and daggerfall together and an expanded new territory. WoooHooo, it would have blizzard shakin in its shoes.

and secondly, Just call it Fallout World Online, starting with Fallout 3 and then just expanding across the united states and just think of the scope of the game if they could expand to europe and asia. They would never have a lack of content, aboveground and also underground instances. Are you kidding me?

I know bethesda has it's own formula and it seems to be very successful for them, I was just a bit dissapointed when FO3 had no online functions. Oh well, maybe in the future.

• AllNewMMOSukAllNewMMOSuk Member Posts: 241

10 -> Nah

9-> I'm sure sports nuts would love it, isn't someone trying to do a sports MMO?

8->Would be great assuming that there was better balance, no lame revive bunny hoping medics, and no cheats like the actual game

7-> eh

6->never actual tried the game

5->nah

4->sure

3-> If by Left4Dead MMO you mean a survival MMO involving zombies but not like Left4Dead in any way at all then yes. If you mean like Left4Dead then nah

2->Thought some companies talked about this, maybe it was wishfull thinking

1->How would this not be WoW but with different races?

• maniacfoxmaniacfox Member UncommonPosts: 171

Wow, not Diablo Online?

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

I still think a Wild Wild West MMO could work.  Gunslingers, Indians and their forklore, Wacky Engineers with steam powered enhancements, toss in some Far West Martial artists with a Kung Fu flavor and you could break open this era. Fantasy-History MMO.

Magic the Gathering Online -A few card / skill games out there now ( Wizard 101, Guild Wars ( sort of), and some card gmaes that tie into MMO worlds ( WoW, Legends of Norrath). Why not ?

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

Bioshock?  C'mon.  It was a decent shooter, nothing more.

And fail for not having Mass Effect.

• WielandWieland Member Posts: 27

The Dark Eye (Fantasy Pen and Paper RPG, 4 singleplayer PC games so far and more currently in development)

Shadowrun (Magic High-Tech Mix Pen and Paper RPG, some old console games and a horrible shooter)

Battletech (Mech Tabletop, several Mech shooters, 2 RTS, 1 semi MMO that was stopped shortly before release)

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

Mass Effect or even Half-life 2 would fit as an MMO a lot more than Bioshock.

One is a space opera with unlimited potential, the other a post apocalyptic sci-fi shooter. But bioshock? Underwater city? really?

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Wieland

Battletech (Mech Tabletop, several Mech shooters, 2 RTS, 1 semi MMO that was stopped shortly before release)

A MechWarrior online would be awesome.

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Guys - The entire point of these lists is to inspire discussion. No one is going to agree with anyone 100%, so if you think something is missing, feel free to explain why... just try and keep the flamethrowers stashed ;)

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• SumeragiSumeragi Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Originally posted by lornphoenix

Originally posted by Wieland

A MechWarrior online would be awesome.

I'm glad someone else remembered our friends at FASA.

Down with Jade Phoenix!

• Glacial_RainGlacial_Rain Member Posts: 110

10. would sound interesting,..

9. nah sport mmo has been tried before with Shot Online (Golf). Isn't there a soccer one as well?

8. how about instead a mmo based off of the likes of street fighter or mortal kombat (with semi-permadeath)

7. never played so not sure on that

6. I'd vote Pac-Man online just for the sake of it being Pac-Man (pssst you free to play mmo makers get going on this)

5. GAH now i have images of Mario tossing PokeBalls at Bowser while dancing around mushrooms.

4. YES!

3. would definatly bring innovation back to the genre

2. but would it be set in a previous city or a whole new one.

1. nah, Diablo would be a better property for blizzard to mil..... er make into a MMO

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

I think a Battlefield MMO would be really cool.

One that didn't make the list that I think would be awesome would be a Pokemon based MMO. It would be like playing a Game Boy pokemon in 3d in a persistant world with tons of people. The 11 year old in me gets giddy at the thought.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Ok, I am guilty of a touch of trolling, please forgive me. I have an active imagination

I thought of another game that should of made the list, Warhammer 40K:Dawn of war online. Keep the RTS aspect and allow me to cultivate a squad that I can turn into an army with the guild creation tab. Think of mixing the core elements of Atlantica Online wich I am a fan of into the warhammer 40k lore-iverse. Give me the ability to expand into different worlds via airships that I can level up as well as well as my squad and we have the yen to play Starcraft online covered. Start with one main character and a few soldiers/followers and level up to a maximum number that is interchangable with only certain alignments/races and classes.

Obviously Orcs and Sisters of Battle will never get along. That handles the racial part of it. Need to expand into a different race, no problem just recruit or do a questline for it if you are a proper alignment.

Hey wait a sec, why should I play this game?

So my guild can band together and act as an army?

YES!

And I can also own a city on planet X? Or maybe eventually own a planet?

YES!

Fully customizable armor and weapons?

YES!

And I can build a fortress/warship etc for my guildmates to recoup and train in?

YES!

Is there alot of PVP, or PVE if I'm not in the mood to fight?

YES and YES!

How much is this game?

$50 for software and $10 a month.

Ok, sounds great! Where can I download the software and sign up!

Umm, sorry you can't; the game doesn't exist online just as a single player RTS, they put all the IP and effort into Warhammer Online the fantasy Genre. Y'know that one, really laggy, boring and set in a played out single avatar fantasy setting exactly like WoW, FFXI, Everquest and a host of similar MMORPG's?

Boo...  

• Glacial_RainGlacial_Rain Member Posts: 110
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

One that didn't make the list that I think would be awesome would be a Pokemon based MMO. It would be like playing a Game Boy pokemon in 3d in a persistant world with tons of people. The 11 year old in me gets giddy at the thought.

don't remember where here in the forums but someone linked an unofficial Pokemon MMO

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by Glacial_Rain

Originally posted by Abrahmm

don't remember where here in the forums but someone linked an unofficial Pokemon MMO

Yeah I saw that, but was a little disheartened when I saw it wasn't "official"

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

None of those games ...

But I'm sure some of it will happen, and some of them may even become good.
    But I rather see developer funds go towards creativity and new worlds.

/junker

• 0theri0n0theri0n Member UncommonPosts: 114

If blizzard can make a better and more meaningful pvp system than in WoW, then i would get excited over a Starcraft mmo. I played starcraft before warcraft so it would bring back so many memorys, and to atcually run around the starcraft world would be awesome. It could be a massive world with planets, own and customize spaceships, be a freakin bad ass zealot  and become a templar, or a marine, be a ghost for the rouge type lovers, or be a...zerg thing ha...sweet

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

As I rode though the countryside on horse-back, or ran through the alleys or over the rooftops of the cities I thought that Assassin's Creed would make an amazing MMO environment.

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Inktomi

Ok, I am guilty of a touch of trolling, please forgive me. I have an active imagination
    I thought of another game that should of made the list, Warhammer 40K:Dawn of war online. Keep the RTS aspect and allow me to cultivate a squad that I can turn into an army with the guild creation tab. Think of mixing the core elements of Atlantica Online wich I am a fan of into the warhammer 40k lore-iverse. Give me the ability to expand into different worlds via airships that I can level up as well as well as my squad and we have the yen to play Starcraft online covered. Start with one main character and a few soldiers/followers and level up to a maximum number that is interchangable with only certain alignments/races and classes.
    Obviously Orcs and Sisters of Battle will never get along. That handles the racial part of it. Need to expand into a different race, no problem just recruit or do a questline for it if you are a proper alignment.
    Hey wait a sec, why should I play this game?
    So my guild can band together and act as an army?
    YES!
    And I can also own a city on planet X? Or maybe eventually own a planet?
    YES!
    Fully customizable armor and weapons?
    YES!
    And I can build a fortress/warship etc for my guildmates to recoup and train in?
    YES!
    Is there alot of PVP, or PVE if I'm not in the mood to fight?
    YES and YES!
    How much is this game?
    $50 for software and $10 a month.
    Ok, sounds great! Where can I download the software and sign up!
    Umm, sorry you can't; the game doesn't exist online just as a single player RTS, they put all the IP and effort into Warhammer Online the fantasy Genre. Y'know that one, really laggy, boring and set in a played out single avatar fantasy setting exactly like WoW, FFXI, Everquest and a host of similar MMORPG's?
    Boo...  

FYI THQ is trying to make a Warhammer 40k MMO...

http://www.massively.com/2009/04/03/warhammer-40k-mmo-gets-a-release-date/