Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EQ2 ever going to fix its lousy armors?

Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572

EQ2 has the worst armor designs in any MMO, they never bother to release genuwinly new armors, you know with new mesh designs instead of obvious reskins. Or what about the fugly robes, there is only one real robe design in the entire game! It's seriously sad! Even EQ1 has better looking armors and variety!

Comments

• tromerostromeros Member Posts: 31

i can understand where you are coming from

some do look shocking and youd expect tier 4-5 armor that youve paid generously for to look crazy beautiful,

personally i dont mind though

EQ 2 has that sort of New Age/Renaissance feel to it for some reason (my opinion)

Feelin Fine

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Originally posted by Tutu2

EQ2 has the worst armor designs in any MMO, they never bother to release genuwinly new armors, you know with new mesh designs instead of obvious reskins. Or what about the fugly robes, there is only one real robe design in the entire game! It's seriously sad! Even EQ1 has better looking armors and variety!

Yea it is horrible. Worst in any mmo.

• ShiymmasShiymmas Member UncommonPosts: 587
    Originally posted by eccoton

Yea it is horrible. Worst in any mmo.

I don't get it.  Are you being sarcastic somehow?  The only one I found to be half-way decent was the final shot that I left in the quote.  The rest look, quite literally, like garbage.

The first one is just so homo-erotic I can't help but cringe.  The next line all look atrocious, but particularly the dwarf or w/e he is.  I almost pissed myself when I saw that one - that's gotta be a joke it's so awful.  Both of the ratonga look decent.  Nothing to stand out in, but nice looking armor if it's just being leveled in, particularly fitting to the chars wearing them.  The last fella, though, looks impressive enough to motivate actually shooting for such armor.

And don't get me wrong, I'm sincerely interested.  Trial hell has gotten me nowhere, and I'm re-considering a few options, namely EQ2.  However, if I can expect only to look like shit for my efforts, that's a big deal-breaker for me.  I like my characters to look nice.  Call it immersion, call it me being vain, whatever.  I just can't get into playing a character that I can't even stand to look at, or that stands out like a big, fat, swollen sore thumb in the game's environment.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
    George Bernard Shaw

“What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”
    Oscar Wilde

• IronacolyteIronacolyte Member UncommonPosts: 26

Go play something else.

Other MMOs are that way ----------------------->

Here, I'll help you:

World of Warcraft

Lord of the Rings Online

Age of Conan

Originally posted by Shiymmas

I don't get it.  Are you being sarcastic somehow?  The only one I found to be half-way decent was the final shot that I left in the quote.  The rest look, quite literally, like garbage.

The first one is just so homo-erotic I can't help but cringe.  The next line all look atrocious, but particularly the dwarf or w/e he is.  I almost pissed myself when I saw that one - that's gotta be a joke it's so awful.  Both of the ratonga look decent.  Nothing to stand out in, but nice looking armor if it's just being leveled in, particularly fitting to the chars wearing them.  The last fella, though, looks impressive enough to motivate actually shooting for such armor.

And don't get me wrong, I'm sincerely interested.  Trial hell has gotten me nowhere, and I'm re-considering a few options, namely EQ2.  However, if I can expect only to look like shit for my efforts, that's a big deal-breaker for me.  I like my characters to look nice.  Call it immersion, call it me being vain, whatever.  I just can't get into playing a character that I can't even stand to look at, or that stands out like a big, fat, swollen sore thumb in the game's environment.

Homo-erotic? Thanks for clearing that up for me. Know I will be able to tell a homosexual toon from a straight one. I bet that anyone who would even let one of their digital characters wear someting like that must be a homosexual to. That thought just makes me cringe.

• napalmswebnapalmsweb Member UncommonPosts: 150

The pics were obviously meant to highlight the variety and level of detail in the armour and I think they look really impressive. In most MMOs, you can pretty much guarantee you are going to run into someone else that looks a lot like you (LOTRO, WoW etc) but EQ2 has a lot of variation in how the toon looks and the armour further differentiates them.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

its not the best but everquest 2 is a great game so i looked past it.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

All the armor models are rehashed throughout levels. You'll be wearing the same robe/chain mail/plate armor from 1-80 but they might be tinted or re-textured differently. Just get used to wearing the same gear but with different textures/tints in EQ2. The engine is very limited in how it can manage and implement new models.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

I like the armor, there's no reason to change it. They should just add more styles. Stop griping about nothing. If you want to add more styles, create some ideas yourself, and submit them to EQ2 devs instead of moaning.

See thats the problem with people now adays, they want to bitch but they don't want to actually get involved.

Edit: Oh and I can pretty much guarantee that if any of your armor ideas look like they come from anime, they will be turned down because they don't fit in the EQ2 setting. Try medieval ideas.

• VillakoiraVillakoira Member Posts: 40

New Lavastorm armor. Check it out, man. Some of the color combinations are eh but some are awesome.

Currently playing: EverQuest II

Tried: EVE Online (will return someday), Final Fantasy XI (didn't like, sorry)

• ShiymmasShiymmas Member UncommonPosts: 587
    Originally posted by eccoton

Homo-erotic? Thanks for clearing that up for me. Know I will be able to tell a homosexual toon from a straight one. I bet that anyone who would even let one of their digital characters wear someting like that must be a homosexual to. That thought just makes me cringe.

I apologize eccoton.  It's easy for a bit of sarcasm and humor to come off as insulting in the form of text, but rest assured, I was only poking a bit of fun.  To explain; the mask is a bit on the odd side, and the hair plays a big part into how strange it looks.  The lack of shoulders on the character makes him look a little bit on the feminine side, and in all the character just has some sort of "fabulous" look.

By the by, homoerotic does not a homosexual make.  I wasn't calling the outfit gay, nor its owner.

ho·mo·e·rot·ic (hm--rtk)

adj.

1. Of or concerning homosexual love and desire.

2. Tending to arouse such desire.

More specifically #2.  I mean, I could be completely heterosexual, but if I go into public looking like one of the Village People, I can't expect not to be looked at in such a way........

All in all, there's no reason to be so defensive.  If that were my character, I'd personally make fun of myself and how silly it looked, especially if it were the best gear I could get.  No sense getting bent out of shape about it, though.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
    George Bernard Shaw

“What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”
    Oscar Wilde

• drag9999drag9999 Member Posts: 252

I'd post pictures on all the different looks I got my character, but since I don't have a running sub I can't. Anyways, EQ2 has one of the richest amount of armor looks I have seen in a game. Maybe you can't see that yet as you are in the Trial, but just wait until T6 and you will start to see LOADS of different looks. Mastercrafted and Fabled generally look awesome.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

Yeh the main things people complain about in EQ2 that'll never be fixed...

- Bland generic ugly graphics

- Ugly plastic character models

- Ugly Armour

- Zoning

- The horrible ugly barren zones like Nek, Antonica and CL.

I dunno what happened to SOE's Art department when they were working on EQ2 but the concept art is great and then somehow all that gets lost when they put it into the game and it turns to shit.

• bahamut1bahamut1 Member Posts: 614

OMG LMAO,

This thread is so pathetic, I totally laughed, still laughing, and will be laughing for a while.

Here's the thing, EQ2 has APPEARANCE SLOTS. What does that mean you say? You can dress up your little doll in whatever you want, as long as the class can use, even if it has no benefit to you. So you can wear your normal armor, and look however you want. The Homo-Erotic guy, as you call him, is a mask (so don't wear it, DUH), 4 pieces of a set (he's not wearing the shoulders, cause maybe he LIKES it that way), and the hair which can be changed in the game at any time choosing from several hairstyles.

The guy on the bear that you DID like was another hodge-podge of different pieces put together for a look that player happens to like. You can do that on ANY toon. You can wear dresses, robes, pant-suits, shirt and pants, heavy armor, light clothing, WHATEVER YOU WANT... Mix and match. Find a look YOU LIKE.

And the troll with the Everything sucks in EQ2, go away, nobody cares about your chip on your shoulder because you can't handle that lots of people actually like EQ2...

"Granted thinking for yourself could be considered a timesink of shorter or longer duration depending on how smart..or how dumb you are."

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310
    Originally posted by bahamut1

OMG LMAO,
    This thread is so pathetic, I totally laughed, still laughing, and will be laughing for a while.
    Here's the thing, EQ2 has APPEARANCE SLOTS. What does that mean you say? You can dress up your little doll in whatever you want, as long as the class can use, even if it has no benefit to you. So you can wear your normal armor, and look however you want. The Homo-Erotic guy, as you call him, is a mask (so don't wear it, DUH), 4 pieces of a set (he's not wearing the shoulders, cause maybe he LIKES it that way), and the hair which can be changed in the game at any time choosing from several hairstyles.
    The guy on the bear that you DID like was another hodge-podge of different pieces put together for a look that player happens to like. You can do that on ANY toon. You can wear dresses, robes, pant-suits, shirt and pants, heavy armor, light clothing, WHATEVER YOU WANT... Mix and match. Find a look YOU LIKE.
    And the troll with the Everything sucks in EQ2, go away, nobody cares about your chip on your shoulder because you can't handle that lots of people actually like EQ2...

I agree the thread is silly, the OP is obviously trolling, there is so many options to dress ya toon up its crazy. I dont consider the graphics to be bland at all, i actually like them alot;granted there is a bit of areas that can stand for a bit of TLC in the art dept, but what what game doesnt here and there. I consider the game quite entertaining and very versatile, and i dont see the issue, I had literally dozens upon dozens of different armor types on my paladin, when i left i had a full set of lvl77 di' zok plate gear, which to looks awesome on my kerra paladin. not to mention you forgot to add in, all the elite lvl gear such as ebon,cobalt, feysteel, the list goes on. my toons were down right shiny, and thats only the armor soldier classes, not including the casters i had

frankly and simply put as another person said........the other MMO's are that way ------------------------>>>>

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

You want gay, take a look at my character :P  I rather think of him as heroic but hey...

---
    Ethion

This is my lastest look for my main. That fact is, I do not care if anyone else likes it, bottom line, I like it.

Keep in mind that you can also use alternate appearances to add even more variety. Some of the alternate appearances I do not like but some I do. Here is one toon in both regular and alternate apperance. I like the gnomes and the elves alternate appearance the best.  To preempt the "homo-erotic" nonsense, the outfit is standard monk cloth fighting gear and common low level gear.

• VillakoiraVillakoira Member Posts: 40

I think my necromancer has pretty cool armor (black silk.)

I'll post my other characters later.

Currently playing: EverQuest II

Tried: EVE Online (will return someday), Final Fantasy XI (didn't like, sorry)

• IronacolyteIronacolyte Member UncommonPosts: 26

I agree Villakoira, very cool.

I dig the armor in EQ2. I prefer my armor to look at least MILDLY realistic with a sense of usefulness.

Originally posted by Ironacolyte

I dig the armor in EQ2. I prefer my armor to look at least MILDLY realistic with a sense of usefulness.

I agree. Armor does not have to be colorful and with flaming skulls to be cool. In EQ2 your characters actually appear to be wearing armor not just a graphic pasted on. Armor is used in battle so it should look like it, not all cartoony. Armor is not alway pretty. It has dents and flaws and sometimes does not match perfectly. These are the reasons I like EQ2 armor over the more flashy styles in games like WoW. Don't get me wrong I like the art style in WoW, I played it for over 4 years. However, I prefer EQ2 armor. It looks like the material that it is made of. It feels more realistic but with a unique art style. Not everyone likes that style but many of us love it. Sometimes you have to see with better eyes. It is easy to be seduced by colorful flaming skull shoulder pads but that does not make it better, just different. EQ2's armor is far from lousy.

• SenumaSenuma Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by Ironacolyte

I agree with the last 2 posters.  I like my armor to have a purpose and to be realistic.  Enough of this less is more craze that many mmos are doing.  Really how much help is a thong bikini in a battle.  I will admit that it is good for distracting guys in pvp (wiggle my butt and chop off a few heads while they ogle me hehe).

For RP purposes I do like to have a choice though in clothing.  Being able to get out of my armor into something more comfortable is nice. :)

P.S. I am a girl gamer

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Some of the armours loke good, particulary the plate armors. The chain is so-so while the leather and cloth armor are generally ugly.

They dont have to fix the ones they already have but som newer better looking would be nice, particulary robes that looks real ugly.

Some better looking hats would be nice too.