Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asheron's Call: A Look At Essential 2009 Game Changes

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com Asheron's Call Correspondent Stephen Williams writes this look at some of the more essential changes and fixes that have come to Turbine's Asheron's Call since the beginning of 2009.

The first three patch updates of 2009 have brought us multiple bug fixes, tweaks, and exciting additions to the world of Dereth; and many of them have been a breath of fresh air for the players. Unfortunately there are still many players out there who are completely oblivious to many of these important changes, and as many of us know by now a basic understanding of recent changes can dramatically enhance your character and your overall enjoyment of Asheron's Call.

While many of the bug fixes I mentioned are minor, there are indeed plenty of them. A quick look at the release notes from Turbine will give you an idea of what has been fixed, but it is worth noting here that among these minor bug fixes there have been a few hot fixes that are important to note.

Read A Look At Essential 2009 Game Changes

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Bummer, when i saw the article, i was hoping these fixes would have included some vista tweaks.   I'd love to play AC again but i'm not willing to have to disable 56 things and play with my routers ports just to play a game. 

• AllNewMMOSukAllNewMMOSuk Member Posts: 241
    Originally posted by Aguitha

Bummer, when i saw the article, i was hoping these fixes would have included some vista tweaks.   I'd love to play AC again but i'm not willing to have to disable 56 things and play with my routers ports just to play a game. 

I had posted this in another thread in the MMORPG AC forums but I will reiterate it here. Microsoft released a hotfix for Vista which fixes the AC issues, since this was a Vista problem. The link to the hotfix is http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=961775&kbln=en-us

This seems to have resolved all Vista issues for AC players, you no longer have to disable or uninstall anything. You should check it out.

• FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591

Amazing (or maybe not so amazing) that AC has survived Lo These Many Years based on strength of Gameplay and Storyline and Immersion.

MMOG Developers take heed - IMITATE LONG TERM SUCCESS - this is what leads to a long and profitable game world, NOT cheap fx and pandering to the peeveepee degenerates.

• BleakmageBleakmage Member UncommonPosts: 186

I tried going back to play again, like maybe the third or fourth time over the years since it came out. The other periods I was able to get into it, at least for awhile, but the last time had nothing for me. For me it is over. Would be nice if there was a sequel that was not D&D or LotR. :D Yeah, I know, wishful thinking.

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Flummoxed

Amazing (or maybe not so amazing) that AC has survived Lo These Many Years based on strength of Gameplay and Storyline and Immersion.

MMOG Developers take heed - IMITATE LONG TERM SUCCESS - this is what leads to a long and profitable game world, NOT cheap fx and pandering to the peeveepee degenerates.

so true

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Actually AC has always had some decent pvp, you can even drop decent items if you are not careful.  The open pvp server has been a long time standby for the pvp crowd even to this day.

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by AllNewMMOSuk

I had posted this in another thread in the MMORPG AC forums but I will reiterate it here. Microsoft released a hotfix for Vista which fixes the AC issues, since this was a Vista problem. The link to the hotfix is http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=961775&kbln=en-us

This seems to have resolved all Vista issues for AC players, you no longer have to disable or uninstall anything. You should check it out.

Its up to developers / publishers to patch their software to accomodate a new operating system not for microsoft to appease everyone by forcing their operating system to accomodate the thousands or millions of software variations out there.

Vista and the other windows operating systems are standards therefore is up to everyone else to create fixes to resolve issues with operating systems since everyone is far more likely to use the same operating system than all of us play the same game.

I noticed you threw out an unecessary comment,  "since this was a vista problem" in an effort to lay blame.  Vista probably caused a problem but its up to turbine to provide a fix.  Its in their best interest.  The more vista users can play the more potential customers they have.  Turbine can benefit from a fix, microsoft does not benefit from more asherons call subs.

• Jerid13Jerid13 Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by Spiritof55

Its up to developers / publishers to patch their software to accomodate a new operating system not for microsoft to appease everyone by forcing their operating system to accomodate the thousands or millions of software variations out there.

Vista and the other windows operating systems are standards therefore is up to everyone else to create fixes to resolve issues with operating systems since everyone is far more likely to use the same operating system than all of us play the same game.

I noticed you threw out an unecessary comment,  "since this was a vista problem" in an effort to lay blame.  Vista probably caused a problem but its up to turbine to provide a fix.  Its in their best interest.  The more vista users can play the more potential customers they have.  Turbine can benefit from a fix, microsoft does not benefit from more asherons call subs.

Why are you defending Microsoft?

They made a choice to put out a patch to fix an issue with their product, good for them.

I think your going way overboard and reading into things.  Expecting a game as old as AC to have to fix its client to work with newer technology is a lot more unrealistic than hoping Microsoft will make their new product backwords compatable.

I don't even see why you would take such a strong stance in this argument, it seems silly.

• DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607

microsoft does not own the rights to ac any longer they sold it to turbine long ago when ac2 was still around

• pesto126pesto126 Member Posts: 5

Bingo!!  Game is old and done.. should be free now - if it was, I'd gladly pay the $20 for the box version but $12-15 a month for this?  Come one...  a game that was glorious way past its prime..

• i love the rare changes

• justin4251justin4251 Member Posts: 3

loved the game the "upgrades" killed it for me less WoW prz!! would love to see a rebeta of AC

Originally posted by Spiritof55

Lol spaz much? It WAS a Vista issue. Odd how the game works with windos xp and windows 7 betas but not vista the most disfunctional system ever created. Microsoft found a BUG in the vista code that was causing confusion with some older networking software and anti-virus programs. Vista put out a hotfix to fix the BUG in THEIR code. AC wasn't the only software having these issues because it was an opertaing system bug.

I'm not trying to defend AC, I'm pointing out where the bug was you microsoft fanboi.

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621

I haven't played it since DAoC first launched but AoC is still the most fun in a MMORPG I've had. Wish Turbine would bring us a new generation of AC without losing the soul of the original.

pesto126:

Oh man, that would be great! I'd play it all the time then. They wouldn't even have to monthly events anymore. That game is so rich with accumilated content it would take you years of casual gameplay to do everything. :D

Originally posted by AlienShirt

I haven't played it since DAoC first launched but AoC is still the most fun in a MMORPG I've had. Wish Turbine would bring us a new generation of AC without losing the soul of the original.

No doubt. I'd be all over that. :D

• ZionnaxZionnax Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by Bleakmage

This...this would RULE!

I enjoyed the fact that as an archer, you crafted your ammunition.  You had different arrow heads with different damage types to use on different mobs.  You could have an alchemist create oils to apply to your arrows to add different damage types still.

I enjoyed the housing, and the mansions with the "hooks" so you could display trophies and whatnot.

If they could, as you say, bring us a new generation of AC "without losing the soul of the original", I would play it for years.

Originally posted by Zionnax

This...this would RULE!

I enjoyed the fact that as an archer, you crafted your ammunition.  You had different arrow heads with different damage types to use on different mobs.  You could have an alchemist create oils to apply to your arrows to add different damage types still.

I enjoyed the housing, and the mansions with the "hooks" so you could display trophies and whatnot.

If they could, as you say, bring us a new generation of AC "without losing the soul of the original", I would play it for years.

Why not just play the one that is out and still has those things? Just because the graphics are older?

• ZionnaxZionnax Member Posts: 107

This...this would RULE!

Why not just play the one that is out and still has those things? Just because the graphics are older?

The graphics issue does not bother me in the least.  I have come back a couple times since 2005, and each time the population was abysmal.  I'm sure if I made an effort on forums and whatnot, I could find a group of people to play with, but when I resubbed and logged in, the world was just so empty (of other players, definately not content).

I feel a "new skin on an old classic" would bring about new advertising, and attract old and new players for a healthy population.  The population as it stands is obviously strong enough in total, else Turbine would not continue development and support; but for me, it felt aweful lonely.

This...this would RULE!

Yes. :D

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

This...this would RULE!

The graphics issue does not bother me in the least.  I have come back a couple times since 2005, and each time the population was abysmal.  I'm sure if I made an effort on forums and whatnot, I could find a group of people to play with, but when I resubbed and logged in, the world was just so empty (of other players, definately not content).

I feel a "new skin on an old classic" would bring about new advertising, and attract old and new players for a healthy population.  The population as it stands is obviously strong enough in total, else Turbine would not continue development and support; but for me, it felt aweful lonely.

I started playing MMOs with Asheron's Call in January 2000 -- game had been out a few months by then and strange words like "beta test" and "non-player character" and "mule" were Greek to me.

But, Asheron's Call, after all that time is still without doubt the game in which I had the most fun, was scared the most, thrilled the most and enchanted the most.

If they take the majority of the game mechanics (the new stuff is generally an improvement to some of the old mechanics) and add a brand-new graphics engine to the game I would be back like a shot.

The last time I went back to play, I looked around and almost never saw a living soul.  Fort Tethana was deserted, except for the NPCs.  Starter towns were empty.  Houses were vacant.

Old AC was so freaking crowded we got portal stormed out of towns!  Certain dungeons were just mobbed with people (and mobs too).  I would run far off into the wilderness just to get away from the crowds and have some good spawns for myself.

If Turbine ever decides to toss some of that LOTRO (which I play) cash into old AC and make it graphically a NEW game again, I would happily pay my money for that experience and end my ceaseless wandering from one unsatisfying MMORPG to another.

~ Ancient Membership ~

• damo122damo122 Member Posts: 2

Here here! 

Asherons Call was my first love and I supsect it will be my last.

I to remember portal storms, and for me nothing since has even come close to the zoneless enviroment provided by AC, or the thrill  / fear I felt as  my first Carrion Shreth chased my lost  newbie butt through the landscape just outside Holtberg, and in the middle of a thunder storm!

I guess your first love really is your true love :)

• TetheredTethered Member UncommonPosts: 55

This is like on the my main prayers up there with world peace...AC + some new stuff + new graphics =  Nirvana..err Heaven..err

I go back and look around from time to time but the graphics and feeling like the only person in the world is truly disturbing.

Oh well back to my knees to pray some more..

You know you are old when the dev's on the games you play are almost young enough to be your grand-kids.