Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: No New Faces for Conan

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Conan Screenshots

Yesterday, a number of news sources reported that players of Funcom's Age of Conan would soon be able to import their faces onto characters in the game using Big Stage Entertainment's technology that "maps the contours of the face from a few digital photos", creating 'realistic, animated 3-D model[s] called an @ctor[s]";. Unfortunately, it looks like there may have been some confusion surrounding the press release from Big Stage as we are told that face importation into Age of Conan is not on the way.

"While Big Stage may be planning to implement the technology in games soon, it is not currently slated for implementation into Age of Conan", said a Funcom spokesperson when asked for a comment on the stories.

Read more

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• puffmousepuffmouse Member UncommonPosts: 44

It was what i thought they meant also until i watched the video and it was just some stupid facebook app or something.  I wanted to know how they would be certain that it was my face picture i uploaded and not something else.  I'm glad funcom has no intention of allowing aoc to be ruined this way.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Interesting that this video surfaced on Youtube a week ago from Big Stage:

www.youtube.com/watch  "Obama Bells of War - Age of Conan"

If you watch around the 1 minute mark...

There is a clear face change resembling Obama!! as Conan!

Screen Cap from video:

Kinda cool.

• MoLoK_MoLoK_ Member UncommonPosts: 307

Import player faced? Bah, uninteresting!

How about importing player boobs, that would rock!

• FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591

Yeah this is going to be a disaster for whoever implements it in game, it'll be about 5 minutes before some fool uploads pics of their body parts as their "face".

Maybe DarkFall should implement this technology, those are the kind of players interested in doing this sort of retarded stuff.

• trozyxxxtrozyxxx Member UncommonPosts: 249

i'v used this (or similer) technology with Tiger Woods golf on the xbox360, import a pic of my face and the game maps it onto my golfer.... even after i add 20 pounds lol it looks nothing like me.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

That would be an intersting technology to see in an mmo.  I think it would probably end up looking kind of strange though, because I don't think our technology is really at the point where they could actually make it look good.

I kind of like making my character not look like myself, that way I can roleplay my character.  Not everyone likes to do that though.

• upsilonmercupsilonmerc Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by MoLoK_

Import player faced? Bah, uninteresting!

How about importing player boobs, that would rock!

Yes, lets all stare at imported moobs

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Good to hear they are not wasting resources on a mostly fluff feature like this as the game is still too shallow to worry about features that do nothing for the actul gameplay.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• biplexbiplex Member Posts: 268

That's a change in failcom procedings. Usually they would claim that it was almost ready from the start, and advertise it on the game box and every possible place. Then after a year would say - but it is there, just still in testing.

I'm glad Erling "Fat lying pig" Erlingsen is not confabulating anymore. I might even take a second try on this game if they start winback campaign.

On a second thought, this whole "event" was totally planned, and was cheap way to get some publicity...

http://www.teraonline.info.pl Polski Poradnik Gry Tera Online

• kazimbrkazimbr Member Posts: 4

Has anyone been able to take part in this contest? I get errors whenever I try to upload my pictures..

Tried different browsers, a different computer, disabling antivirus, still nothing..

Now, I think it would be ridiculous to get our faces ingame, but a contest to win free stuff is always nice.