Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Chronicles of Spellborn: Howard Marks Talks Launch

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Only hours after it launched, Acclaim CEO Howard Marks sat down with MMORPG.com to discuss how it has gone so far and what Spellborn is all about in this exclusive interview.

Developed in Holland by Spellborn International over five years, this is a big budget game and the first published by Acclaim to employ a subscription model exclusively. It is an important launch for Acclaim.

“We’ve got hundreds of players coming all the time, lots of downloads. Our systems are holding well,” said Marks of the launch to date. He reported no major problems. “We designed it so we could probably have 10x more people and it would still be OK.”

You can read the article here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Awesome!!!  Thanks for the heads up.  I can't wait for the download.

• gekkie96gekkie96 Member Posts: 12

And to add to the great release they are giving away FREE 2 week subscriptions to all players, so you just have to check it out IMO...

• PoPfyrenPoPfyren Member Posts: 19

if they would just launch the patch for w7 i would be happy :(

• LorelLorel Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by gekkie96

And to add to the great release they are giving away FREE 2 week subscriptions to all players, so you just have to check it out IMO...

Yeah 2 weeks to existing subscribers aswell :)

But if you signup as a new player for the game between the 23rd of April to the 7th of May then you get full access for 14 days, existing players just got 2 weeks added to their sub.

So a free game to download and free to fully experience for the next 2 weeks, have to say thats better than what WoW, AoC, War and Darkfall have offered so far.

• toordtoord Member Posts: 139

I tried it while in Open Beta. It is a nifty little game and the story line is more immersive than I thought. Still sorely needing mounts and more players. Combat system is different, not sure if I like it better than DDO's (which is also real time, non-que, twitch-based but based on d20 system). But in all honesty I think the game will have a hard time grabbing new subscribers due to Acclaim's and Spellborn NV's decision to split regions and IP bans a few months back.

Peace.

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415
    Originally posted by toord

I tried it while in Open Beta. It is a nifty little game and the story line is more immersive than I thought. Still sorely needing mounts and more players. Combat system is different, not sure if I like it better than DDO's (which is also real time, non-que, twitch-based but based on d20 system). But in all honesty I think the game will have a hard time grabbing new subscribers due to Acclaim's and Spellborn NV's decision to split regions and IP bans a few months back.

Peace.

Marks mentioned in the inteview specifically that there is nothing blocking one region from the other. Player choice.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• bmdevinebmdevine Member Posts: 429
    Originally posted by Dana

Peace.

Marks mentioned in the inteview specifically that there is nothing blocking one region from the other. Player choice.

You can probably google for more information on this, but having played it myself a bit, I can tell you that changing regions is pretty simple.  If I remember correctly, all I had to do was replace some values in a text file.  Not sure where toord (how is the oo pronounced?) got the information above.

That being said, I've only played in the beginning areas, and am thinking that having to constantly hold the right button down during combat may give me carpal tunnel syndrome.  Does anyone know if there's a way to set up a different type of control system that might be a bit easier on one's aging joints and tendons?

• dsebutchrdsebutchr Member Posts: 245

Sooooo

Is it my browser being humorous again or did anyone else notice their Credit Card payment website is not secure...

Looking for the little gold lock.....still looking....maybe it's just not loading....

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Originally posted by bmdevine
    That being said, I've only played in the beginning areas, and am thinking that having to constantly hold the right button down during combat may give me carpal tunnel syndrome.  Does anyone know if there's a way to set up a different type of control system that might be a bit easier on one's aging joints and tendons?

You can change something in the settings so that pressing the button toggles mouse aiming as opposed to having to hold it to get mouse aiming.  The game still seems to have a lot of potential for repetitive strain injuries, though.

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

Yes, press 'R'. It will lock you into mouselook mode. 90% of the game can be played entirely in mouselook mode.

Anyone looking for a game that actually utilizes player skill and has a unique setting should be trying this game. Now is the best time to try since you get those free two weeks.

One warning though, it starts a little slow in the first zone. There are a lot of kill quests and fed-ex quests. It certainly gets better as you get into the second zone and beyond. This is one of the reasons why its especially good if you are able to try the game in the next couple weeks since you won't be limited to the trial content.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

This is by far a fun game. i stopped playing because LoTRO got me. But it was fun, and I would recommend downloading it to at least try it out.

• oliverholiverh Member Posts: 1

Hi all,

For those of you who are wondering if this is worth your time to download, check out my review for newbies over here: games.thegeeklynews.com/2009/04/chronicles-of-spellborn/ I've also done a bunch of other MMO reviews, compiled here, if you're interested.

Oliver

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by natuxatu

This is by far a fun game. i stopped playing because LoTRO got me. But it was fun, and I would recommend downloading it to at least try it out.

This kind of sums it up nicely. The game is good, it's fun. There's not a whole lot I can really say bad about it. However, somehow, it just doesn't seem to have the necessary draw to pull in the players needed to make it achieve it's potential. And honestly, with the current size of their worlds (though admittedly not feeling too cramped) are probably not large enough to handle the player base it'd need to remain steady.

• PkpiePkpie Member CommonPosts: 18

I'm looking forward to giving this game a try once the Windows 7 fix is in.

• logangregorlogangregor Member Posts: 1,524

Originally posted by toord I tried it while in Open Beta. It is a nifty little game and the story line is more immersive than I thought. Still sorely needing mounts and more players. Combat system is different, not sure if I like it better than DDO's (which is also real time, non-que, twitch-based but based on d20 system). But in all honesty I think the game will have a hard time grabbing new subscribers due to Acclaim's and Spellborn NV's decision to split regions and IP bans a few months back.

Peace.

Not sure where toord (how is the oo pronounced?) got the information above.
    That being said,

OO = UR

Peace.

I don't know if you remember that players in North America could NOT try the game out when it was released in Europe. In fact certain parts of europe could not play with other countries within europe. Not even through proxys. This might've changed recently.

Peace.

Originally posted by logangregor

Peace.

That being said,

OO = UR

How would you know? ;)

• logangregorlogangregor Member Posts: 1,524

Originally posted by logangregor  

Peace.

That being said,

OO = UR

How would you know? ;)

I know a turd when I see one :P

• AllNewMMOSukAllNewMMOSuk Member Posts: 241
    Originally posted by Aganazer

Yes, press 'R'. It will lock you into mouselook mode. 90% of the game can be played entirely in mouselook mode.

Anyone looking for a game that actually utilizes player skill and has a unique setting should be trying this game. Now is the best time to try since you get those free two weeks.

One warning though, it starts a little slow in the first zone. There are a lot of kill quests and fed-ex quests. It certainly gets better as you get into the second zone and beyond. This is one of the reasons why its especially good if you are able to try the game in the next couple weeks since you won't be limited to the trial content.

I plan on trying this, even though with my aging system I should probably check the specs so I'm not surprised when I go to run it. I don't know how it will compete with DDO which seems to be the solid player skill and real time fighting MMO, especially since DDO is designed around quests so most of them have a lot of depth and they don't use fedex/killtasks to fill the space.

But what I have read on this does certainly peak my interest enough to download it sometime in the next couple days and see what it's all about.

• netboyznetboyz Member Posts: 46

This game is dead before it even started.  By the very fact that it is being published by Acclaim diminishes the game's credibility to nil.  Sorry, thanks for trying.

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

I don't know if you remember that players in North America could NOT try the game out when it was released in Europe. In fact certain parts of europe could not play with other countries within europe. Not even through proxys. This might've changed recently.

Peace.

Right, which is why I asked. It was apparently changed now that it's out in both places.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

Peace.

Right, which is why I asked. It was apparently changed now that it's out in both places.

Right, which why I said that decision might hurt them. A lot people felt alienated and ditched which I'm assuming is why they backed up the truck, so to speak.

Peace.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Starting from the first question,

1. You can use the "R" key to get into mouselook mode. If you have played any FPS in the past 5 years, you will find your movement to resemble that when in mouselook mode.

2. There is no reason to bring up the past about the IP blocks, as SiL (now SpellBorn NV) saw the problem and removed the IP blocks when Acclaim went into Open Beta. It's time people keep the past in the past.

3. The CC system is fine and secure. This system was also just put in place a day or two ago. If you don't feel secure in using the CC system, you can use the coin system with different methods of purchase.

4. There is a 2 week free subscription going on right now for new and existing players. This is probably the best deal you will find in any MMO, as you can if you work hard enough, get to a high level and enjoy some of the deeper questlines.

5. Here is some things slated for the next patch coming soon ( End of April was the last update ).

If you have any other questions, you can ask them here or send me a PM, as I have been playing and enjoying this game since Closed Beta in EU.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

I've long thought the whole "I'm not going to play it because of pre-release difficulties" bit was a ridiculous excuse.  If you want to play a game today and can play the game today, then why should it matter if you couldn't play it a few months ago?

Originally posted by mackdawg19

2. There is no reason to bring up the past about the IP blocks, as SiL (now SpellBorn NV) saw the problem and removed the IP blocks when Acclaim went into Open Beta. It's time people keep the past in the past.

Ostrich syndrome? While myself and a lot of other people are probably glad they took the IP bans down, the fact REMAINS that it was a bad decision AND it turned off quite a bit of people from even trying the game which might hurt them long run. You can read people talking about this issue quite frequently in zone chat, btw.

Peace.