Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ether Saga Open Beta!!!!

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I been playing this game since closed beta and its a nice game. Anybody else playing?

Comments

• BekaBeka Member UncommonPosts: 59

I've just started playing ESO. So far it is a lot of fun. The graphics are vey nice (cuteness overload, so be warned), sounds and music have a nice mood feeling to them.

The pet system should be worth investigating and I might even check out the crafting.

My only real nitpick so far is the control system. There doesn't seem to be any 'rotate left / right' and you can't remap the keys. Having to use the mouse to rotate just does not work at all for me. I hope they'll fix both of those in time.

The voices are all in Chinese, but considering the setting that actually works out well, at least I don't mind. They have done an excellent job with the English text, compared to some other games like Runes of Magic and Atlantica Online. Not that those other two have really bad translations, but I have run into several messed up / confusing problems with both, stuff that should have been easily caught considering they were in the starting areas.

If the rest of the game is as good as the little bit I've explored, this will be a winner. As long as the item shop prices are reasonable, I can see spending some on things to speed up travel (wings?) or vanity gear. I don't mind supporting a quality game, as long as they aren't trying to nickle and dime you to death *cough***Runes of Magic rentals****cough. And unlike Free Realms (which probably has a similar target audience), this game actually is free to play, not just a limited section of it.

Might be a game the whole family could play, even younger kids. Well worth a try!

• xesolorxesolor Member Posts: 7

I don't know how to translate it (I'm playing the Chinese ESO servers), but if you tick a box in the options menu in the third tab, you can rotate the camera horizontally by "A" and "D" keys.

And yeah, there are pet rides and special equip that allow you to travel faster in ESO - there's the basic clouds, then there's winged horses (a bit like a hippogriff), massive magic pens allow you to ride on while it drip ink all over the landscape, huge, fluffy bunnies for girls, lion-like pet rides for male. There's even floating lotus, lightning cloud, demonic / angel wings, propellers that stick on your head and lift you off, and strangely, JETS and helicopters that you can buy in cash shop. Currently the fighter jet is the fastest. Why it's in an ancient Chinese fantasy game, I've got no idea

"Laziness is a way of life, a portal to transcend into another dimension of being" - Me

• BekaBeka Member UncommonPosts: 59

xesolor,

Thank you! Not sure how I missed that setting ('style' on third tab) but that makes moving around much easier for me. Now to set some free time aside to do some more exploring and questing.

• wiredknightswiredknights Member Posts: 56

I'm a World of Warcraft player for 4 years.. Ether Saga Online is a total "copy" in what touches class skills.. really.. no imagination. What still gives it a new touch is the "birthday" skills.

Still, it's a free cute game to play.. although I also like to rate MMO by their customer support and I'm still waiting for almost 4 days for a reply to my 2 tickets.. Something as simple as changing a email address.. which I should be able to and well.. the account management page is "poor" to say the least.

This is why I normaly hate free-to-play MMO with cash shops.. players think that just because it's free that it's normal that the customer support is awful but they miss that the MMO company is proly making more money out of the cash shop that they would from a monthly fee..

So, we pay the same, and get less.. it's cool if you dont end actualy needing the customer support. :3

Originally posted by wiredknights

I'm a World of Warcraft player for 4 years.. Ether Saga Online is a total "copy" in what touches class skills.. really.. no imagination. What still gives it a new touch is the "birthday" skills.
    Still, it's a free cute game to play.. although I also like to rate MMO by their customer support and I'm still waiting for almost 4 days for a reply to my 2 tickets.. Something as simple as changing a email address.. which I should be able to and well.. the account management page is "poor" to say the least.
    This is why I normaly hate free-to-play MMO with cash shops.. players think that just because it's free that it's normal that the customer support is awful but they miss that the MMO company is proly making more money out of the cash shop that they would from a monthly fee..
    So, we pay the same, and get less.. it's cool if you dont end actualy needing the customer support. :3

*Cough* why does every WOW player think WOW is superial to every other MMORPG? Note WOW is NOT the original, NOR the creator of modern MMORPG.

In fact there's hundreds of MMOs out on the market, I'd say you can hardly find one where you can practically capture every mob you encounter, tame them into full pets with individual stats, growth speeds, special skills / abilities. I wouldn't say you can find your character can merge with your pets, or you can merge two pets together to form a stronger pet anywhere else than ESO either ...

And er ... *cough* (bad throat) ESO is based on one of the four all-time classic novels of ancient China - Journey to the East, which was written about 1500AD (is it a bit more original than WOW?). And by the way I never spent any money on ANY MMOs I have ever played - yeah it's tempting, but it's perfectly fine to live without cash shop.

The English ESO is still in OP, there's plenty to be added in the game. Wait it out a bit and you'll be surprised how good it gets ;)

"Laziness is a way of life, a portal to transcend into another dimension of being" - Me

• wiredknightswiredknights Member Posts: 56

Sorry, but "originality" is having a lore of its own.. basing a MMO on a ancient novel isnt exactly original..

Unless you're using your pets to fight for you all the time, I don't see how that makes the player copycat skills bearable. Wow is not the "top" MMO, it's simply one of the best paid MMO out there at the moment. You can argue with all the 11milion subscribers.. or you can simply try to admit why Ether Saga Online has class skills identical to WoW's class skills.. WoW players are getting "bored" but WoW is like a drug.. you can manage being without it for awhile but sooner or later you go back. Well, Ether Saga Online gives you a "WoW" kind of feeling by giving you praticaly the same class skills..

Anyhow, none of that makes a CRAPPY customer service a "good" thing.

• rye130rye130 Member CommonPosts: 9
    Originally posted by wiredknights

Sorry, but "originality" is having a lore of its own.. basing a MMO on a ancient novel isnt exactly original..

Unless you're using your pets to fight for you all the time, I don't see how that makes the player copycat skills bearable. Wow is not the "top" MMO, it's simply one of the best paid MMO out there at the moment. You can argue with all the 11milion subscribers.. or you can simply try to admit why Ether Saga Online has class skills identical to WoW's class skills.. WoW players are getting "bored" but WoW is like a drug.. you can manage being without it for awhile but sooner or later you go back. Well, Ether Saga Online gives you a "WoW" kind of feeling by giving you praticaly the same class skills..

Anyhow, none of that makes a CRAPPY customer service a "good" thing.

By original, he meant it is not a copy-cat of WoW in the fact that it is based off a novel. The skills of WoW are in pretty much every game, not that every game is copying WoW, but WoW pretty much covers every type of skill. The Pet system is inovative and sets this game aside from most other games.

Is WoW being so addictive and threateningly overwhealming such a good thing? I play MMOs for the community and the innovative fantasy world it's built on, not exacly hardcore leveling to reach the top, just a bit of casual gameplay. Other players concentrate on grinding in dungeons, swapping rare equip and buying all sorts of things, and I'm drifting somewhere far away taking screenshots. In fact most players already reached lv60 on the Chinese servers whereas I'm still at 37, but I'm still having a great time.

• HayabusaaHayabusaa Member Posts: 3

Every mmo board you get some moron saying its a copy of WoW /sigh.

Thing is, WoW was a copy of every mmo before it as well, you dont see the WoW forums cluttered with posts/threads about how its a copy of every mmo before it do you?

Currently downloading Ether Saga, looks interesting.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

I played it for awhile, and even bought $10 into it to get the Baahu Magebane pet....needed 25 inv slots to hold all the puzzle pieces, and you only start with 24...doh.  Anyway, I got to lvl 38-39 Mystic and it just got boring, and I didn't care for the bot item that was included in the game that everyone but I seemed to use! 

Killing 300 of one enemy for each quest was getting insane manually so I see why the bot item was made, but then why make or even play a game that plays itself.  The server events were rather fun, but got monotonous after a 2 weeks of catching every one!  Also the whole auto-travel to any NPC or mob anywhere in the world made it so simple to find anything.

Ah well, here is the Baahu Magebane I had....well I actually acquired enough puzzle pieces to build 4 of them, and then I gave them away to friends along with all my possessions when I quit...

The 4th one on the right was the first I built and level'd to 42!

You had enough pieces for *cough* FOUR of that pet??!!!!!!!

But then where would you store all your other stuff? I've stuffed both bank and inventory full of things I don't even have enough space for mob drops! Did you expand more item slots?

By the way have you tried any instanced dungeons yet? They're not so much repetitive and is more challenging than normal missions with rare drops, that would take you a break from grinding.

• RelnReln Member Posts: 9

i think its closed beta now,wait it is I think.It is very fun,the events are hosted every 3 hours from 8:00-8:00 every day from realm 6-14/15 I think. Each event is very easy,but important part is that you have to finish it early before the event NPC goes away,if thats the case then wait couple hours,3 I think.Also each event gives you atleast 60000 exp,so thats a lot and everyone enjoys doing those.

It's officially out of CB and into OB in late March. Now you don't need to apply for a key and just register on Perfect World Entertainment and log in and voila you can play ;)

Just a out of interest - I can't play the English servers because of IP block - what events are available right now?

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by xesolor

By the way have you tried any instanced dungeons yet? They're not so much repetitive and is more challenging than normal missions with rare drops, that would take you a break from grinding.

Yes and that is one of the reasons that I quit, besides the forced PvP after 45.  As a Mystic I'm supposed to be the main healer, but the instance bosses are so unbalanced that you cannot heal enough to keep 1 person the MT alive let along the entire party....instead the MT and anyone in melee range or AoE dmg range had to have the massive potion pots that you could buy for $4 in the cash shop. 

You could use them every 10sec and it'd instantly heal all ur HP/MP for a total of 300k of each which would count down to 0 then dissappear from inv.  The only purpose of the Mystic was to hopefully get lucky and heal enough to to keep 1 person alive when almost all bosses would cast some ability that prevented players from using that potion.

That was just stupid making a healing class, but then designing all the group stuff to require RMT potions to succeed!

Really? Haven't reached lvl45 in the Chinese servers yet, and I mostly solo, since the Chinese players mostly stick to play with their friends and  family. Though if that's true it's a serious flaw in the game! Along with the heavy grind ...

Since I'm solo and most dungeons are designed for team only, I have to do the dungeon quests 10 levels higher than they're supposed to be. Kinda sucks, playing on my own, that's why I wanted to try the English servers. But if you do the dungeons leveled lower than your team, you'll manage just fine. Plus daily events give you boosts to exp any day.

• applejdotzapplejdotz Member Posts: 2

I had wanted to continue with my 20mystic, but hearing the same thing from a lv 45 makes me wanna quit too.

Damn, most useless healing class ever.

• tiagofoiltiagofoil Member Posts: 4

I saw peoples saying that Mystic class is useless, the Rogue class is useless, the Conjurer is weak. But the true is, all classes are useful in a Instance or Dungeon. Since they are in a group with well-organized and experienced players. The eternal discussion about a class being better than another will never end. But in ten years playing MMOs, I've seen players doing things that neither the class permits. In Ether Saga, players are encouraged to play as a team in some times. Especially when it comes to a Dungeon. Dungeons are places with strong monsters, and it is the true in most RPGs. Imagine a mage killing ballrogs and 3000 Orcs in a mine alone.

Another important point is, healing classes are not equal in all MMOs. And the Mystic is not a Sumo Sacer like Ragnarok, not a Monk like Guild Wars, not a Holy Paladin like WoW. He will be a DPS too. Like a Hybrid class. And he have some important buffs. When you switch a new game, you must change your point of view too. Or you sometimes will be frustrated. I am playing a Rogue, and i don´t have a Stealth skill yet. I leave because of that? No, I will become strong enough. And stop me fitting and fill the gaps, and even without an ability to hide, I will make the role of good DPS.

• TrashcantoyTrashcantoy Member Posts: 827

built-in bot? blah not bothering with this then

i dont  want a game that plays itself, i want to play it.. no matter how hard the grind is. yes i know i dont have to use the bot but whats the point when everyone else does? no1 to talk to, only being KSed and cant even cry to a GM for help ;)

MMOs currently playing: -
    About to play: Lord of the Rings Online
    Played: Anarchy Online (alltime favorite) and lots of f2p titles (honorable mentions: 9Dragons, Martial Heroes, Dekaron, Atlantica Online)

• tiagofoiltiagofoil Member Posts: 4

The possessor is limited. And after level 40 you can not use it effectively. Nobody can raise skills level and make money using the possessor alltimes. They thought of people like you, the bot is much less abusive than other forms permitted by famous MMOs that I see there. Comes a time that is more viable to sell it to use it. Trust me. I hate bots and always denounced this illegal practice.