Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shadowbane: Game Closing Permanently

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com has learned that Wolfpack Studios is closing the doors on their MMO Shadowbane as of May 1st, 2009.

Wolfpack Studios and publisher Ubisoft announced today that Shadowbane, the company's MMO that had been running now since March 25th 2003, will be shutting down its severs permanently on May 1st, 2009.

The official announcement on the game's website doesn't offer a specific reason for the closure, but instead chooses to reflect fondly on the game and its players.

When a game closes, we here at MMORPG.com like to mark its passing by taking a look at just how many days the game has been online. Recently, many of the cancellation numbers have borne low day counts, so it is a triumph of sorts that we report Shadowbane's legacy included an impressive 2253 days in Aerynth.

Read Game Closing Permanently

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

No0o0o0o0o0o0o00o :(

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• PsalmsPsalms Member UncommonPosts: 137

Best video game i have ever played.  Unfortunately, SB ruined every other MMO for me.  Nothing else is riveting enough to keep me entertained more than a week or two. 

Sad day in MMOville.  Hopefully Stray Bullet Games can get their own MMO developed asap.

• darkgamerxdarkgamerx Member Posts: 311

I tried this game once, even though i did'nt get too into it. It had the fine makins of a good game, its a shame the developers gave up on it and didnt try to improve it .

I guess we all owe shadowbane /salute !!

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

For those that played Treachery:

History of Treachery - Start to Finish

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

I enjoyed it, sucks it's gonna be gone. I actually downloaded the game again a few days ago but the servers were down for a few days, finally went back up and I kept crashing. Ahh, byebye Shadowbane.

• andmillerandmiller Member Posts: 374

Repeat of a thread from earlier, but sad indeed.  One of the most fun experiences I had in MMO's, despite the numersous technical difficulties.  You know it's good if you play through the stuff that happened when it was released like I did!

Farewell SB.  You have a place in my heart next to UO.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

*sniff*

I really had some good times playing Shadowbane.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

RIP, the game gave a lot of peole some good times.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• hail2dathiefhail2dathief Member UncommonPosts: 232

Yeah this sucks considering i never tried this game earlier considering i just started playing like 5 days ago and then they announce that it's shutting down on may 1st.  I was really looking forward to getting pretty involved with this game but now i can't :(.  

• myrrdinirlmyrrdinirl Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 314

about time this turd got flushed...

• ZerocydeZerocyde Member UncommonPosts: 412

The only mmo in the history of mmos to get pvp right. (not the act of pvp, but the reasons for pvp that the game mechanics produced) Now dies.

Because of the technical problems of the game, so few mmo fans will ever know just how bloody amazing pvp in an mmo can be. Come to think of it, neither will mmo developers...

R.I.P. PVP

"It is in your nature to do one thing correctly; Before me, you rightfully tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe." ~Francis Dolarhyde

• kalistarkalistar Member UncommonPosts: 46

In my mind this was truly one of the great ones

• Bull-MooseBull-Moose Member Posts: 1

the pvp fights

even better the gvg fights

the multitude of races

the mutitude of professions

an almost unlimited number of viable character builds

no major leveling grind

no major reliance on chance for elite drops

Just get down to bussiness and Battle your favorite enemy.

yes the graphics are old and the game engine buggy but I will miss shadowbane and have no idea what I will find to hold my interest for more than a week or 2 

• LogothXLogothX Member Posts: 245

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I liked Shadowbane. Not as much as some of you, but I liked it.

Sad to see it finally kick the bucket.

• AirphelAirphel Member Posts: 51

To those of you that didn't play this game...

The most intricate race/class/profession/discipline system ever.

The most thrilling pvp ever.

The highest learning curve ever.

The hardest mmorpg to top EVER.

Definatly the most thrilling game of all time. Ever been in a battle against 50 people? Thats fun. Against 500... Thats Shadowbane.

This game had it all, you could solo it as an assassin, ranger, scout, theif, ect... hope for the kill and the quick get away with that +40 int rune, whether you needed it or not, its worth at least 2mill (a whole city could be bought for the same price some times). You could small group it, big group it, mine fights, or banes... then the complete economic side, buy, sell, trade.

All I have left on my computer is a picture from the bane to rid Thurin of CN once and for all...

There where about 1500 people in this area, mostly inside the walls. We where defending the banestone from attack.

Ahh shadowbane, you will be missed.

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.
    Euripides (484 BC - 406 BC)

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

I loved the charcter race's, where else am I going to get to play a centaur in armour?

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

I had some fun times with SB.

Sad to see it go.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• mOoKmOoK Member Posts: 26

Considering the HUGE controversy and hype that was around this game before release, its interesting to ponder its long term effect on the MMORPG genre.

I was very heavy into EQ at the time, I think EQ was still top dog as well.

The newcomers at the time were really innovative.

Where DAoC's hook was RvR, 3 realms, 3rd person, Shadowbane went  with the almost sandbox "make what you will" "build your own empire" 3rd person perspective.

Not the economic simulation that EVE became, but not the hum drum MMORPG of the time.

Sadly, the MMORPG space hasn't really pushed the boundaries since, with "instancing" being probably the most inventive "feature" (read workaround) in the past 5 years.

There is something to be said about evolutionary design in MMOs.  Make them better, don't re-invent the wheel.  An conversly, being inventive for inventions sake, doesn't a good game make.  But the current tendancy to make careful, safe games that appeal to the largest demographic, using a huge budget, I think will only weaken the future of MMOs.

• HerithiusHerithius Member UncommonPosts: 218

Alongside Ultima Online, one of the most enjoyable mmorpg experiences for myself.  While not perfect, they did so many things right and were unbelievably innovative for the genre as a whole.  Here is hoping Stray Bullet Games(formed by many of the devs who made SB), make a worthy heir with their untitled mmorpg.

• SojhinSojhin Member UncommonPosts: 226

I highly enjoyed Shadowbane and will always look back at the great pvp I experienced there with fond memories.  I only hope that soon there will be a successor with better gameplay yet with the same quality character choices that allow 100s of possible outcomes; that and firce pvp that is more then (lmb) games of the present.

• VagnerVagner Member UncommonPosts: 51

Its a sad day, what a kick but game it was. Fantastic P.v.P

My wife will be happy no more shadowcrack for me.

Drunken The Master

Crimson Brotherhood

• lorddeath101lorddeath101 Member UncommonPosts: 315

I just brought the game for $1 from bargain bin.  

Am i stupid  or what ?

• zagreoszagreos Member Posts: 53

I'll miss you shawdowbane.

It's a true classic.