Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• andmillerandmiller Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by throckmorton

Greatest game of all time. Game over.
    http://ubbforums.ubi.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=news&Number=3465328&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I loved this game when it came out.  Too bad their back-end was so crappy or I think this game would have been much more successful.

Greatest game of all time, no, but always sad to see one you liked eventually flame out.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• VesilisVesilis Member UncommonPosts: 21

I will SB no more forever.

• kumobladekumoblade Member UncommonPosts: 86

Hail to the King of PVP.  He will be sorely missed.

I hope Stray Bullet lives up to its Legacy with their new Future Fantasy MMO

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

RIP Shadowbane.  Best damn game on the market is now being put to death.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628

This game was in a league of it's own, and there may never be another like it. Hope an emulator comes out, would be a shame to lose SB forever.

• eldestseldests Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by kumoblade

I would think twice about trying their new game.  Past performance says a lot to me.  They may end up shutting it down after a few years too....     

Sb shined at open PVP, character design that required thought and planning, and a lore back story that caused many debates and discussions.   SB and its many "loyal" players deserved better.   

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Never actually got to see or play this one. Alwasy sad to see a game get cancelled and powered down (seems to be happening alot lately, isnt this number 6 so far this year?). It wont be the last either. I predict possibly Daoc to fall too and at least 2 of SoE tagged titles.

However, for those sayign this was teh best game on the market, if it was then why is it closing. Game is probably old, very dated and lacking in players<-- main reason to pay the server costs.

• Buzzhead1Buzzhead1 Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Manestream

Never actually got to see or play this one. Alwasy sad to see a game get cancelled and powered down (seems to be happening alot lately, isnt this number 6 so far this year?). It wont be the last either. I predict possibly Daoc to fall too and at least 2 of SoE tagged titles.
    However, for those sayign this was teh best game on the market, if it was then why is it closing. Game is probably old, very dated and lacking in players<-- main reason to pay the server costs.

Only the graphics were dated, the content, mechanics, and gameplay were awesome.  Grinding was removed as xp rates increased over the years which made lvling up a variety of toons acceptable.  The political landscape was player made and player based, after mines and epic armor drops came out there were endless PvP incentives.  Sieges although laggy and crash causing were manageable in most cases even with upwards of 500 toons nearby (sound off, chat scrolling off, graphics way down).  The launch was riddled with mistakes and taught many companies that delay is better than what Wolfpack/UBI did...  put a beta product out premature even after 5+years developement (this thing was started in the 90s).  It was not for the faint hearted or the loner...   you had to make friends and get in a guild to get anywhere and you still got pkd...  pkd alot and again   and more...  most of us got numb to it, we became hardcore, we studied the builds and made counters to every other build, we played for keeps and for glory and chased all the "hand me levels on a pay to play platter" wannabes away by handing them their pansy asses...   no doubt you would be one of them.... run  away   run away.  SB sucks cuz I can't take it  :0.   That sums it up though.   The hardcore and the asian zerg drove off the weak and SB lost allot of its player base from the start with a forced pre-ejaculated release then couldn't appeal to the EQ carebears or the WoW PvE roleplayer life sucking morons.

luv ya all that did love SB...  truely  group hug to the hc peeps...

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409
    Originally posted by throckmorton

Greatest game of all time. Game over.

• David_RRDavid_RR Member Posts: 134

Even though I left this game over 2 years ago, I enjoyed playing and I enjoyed the city seiges.  I hate to see this game go.  I thought about playing it again but now I will let all my old toons and guild stay inactive.   This game had so much potential but with so many games out there it is hard to stay with just one.  This game will be missed.  Take care to all.

• throckmortonthrockmorton Member Posts: 314

The graphics are terrible, and the engine is clunky and buggy, but that's only part of it. The main reason the game never fully flourished was that the learning curve was immense, and you were pretty much forced to join a guild to get anything done.

In fact, I completely hated this game the first month I played it. I would get ganked every 10 minutes, I only had basic gear, and leveling was way too slow solo. As soon as I joined a guild, all that changed.

Added to that, the class, race, and group diversity was so intricate, that it took me nearly 6 months before I got close to grasping all the intricacies of the game. I can fully understand why someone would play for a few days and then quit.

I didn't start loving the game until I went to my first siege. It was Blood Clan attacking leet's city, which was subbed to DS at the time. As soon as I fully saw the intensity, brutality, organization, and politics culminating into a 2-hour all or nothing fight, I fell in love.

There was only a trickle of new players entering the game, so they moved onto a free to play with advertisement model for sustaining the game. But people figured out how to bypass the advertisements, and it never fully panned out. The servers were getting very old, and started needing costly repairs, so ubisoft shut down the game.

• vellusvellus Member Posts: 30

They extended the game, the shut off is now July 1st

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• Ubel12Ubel12 Member UncommonPosts: 153

I was looking at the forums here today, and found out that SB is dead. Died in July I take it. DamnitI was wanting to play the game again. Man this makes my eyes rain! =(

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by kumoblade

Hail to the King of PVP.  He will be sorely missed.

Isn't Stray Bullet the company that bought Wolfpack Studios?  Wolfpack made SB so Stray Bullet has no legacy to the SB name.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• Ubel12Ubel12 Member UncommonPosts: 153

Oh hell no, that could be bad news for them developing anything like what SB was in its day. Not unless they have some of the Dev's from Wolfpac still on. Ony time will tell the tale I guess.

• DirktoothDirktooth Member Posts: 33

What i miss most is the days where i hop around player shopping city for browse or running around in groups to steam roll soloers or druid power level groups.

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630
    Originally posted by Dirktooth

What i miss most is the days where i hop around player shopping city for browse or running around in groups to steam roll soloers or druid power level groups.

And now you wonder why Shadowbane died...

• MrGimpzMrGimpz Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by Vetarnias

SB was player driven; if that's what he wanted to do then he could do it. Now, if he had a guild affiliation and killed someone with any pulling power in a guild, he could expect his guild's city baned in the future. Or if he had no guild affiliation, those he was killing could call one or two of their buddy's and go and kill him.

It's up to you in SB - you drive what happens and your actions have consequences so you and/or your guild better be able to back up what you do and/or say.

*Edited wording*

MrGimpz
    Crash and Burn
    valeofshadows.21.forumer.com

• IbluerateIbluerate Member Posts: 256

I've got the feeling I missed out on something.

Oh well.

Playing: World Of Warcraft
    Resting From: Nothing
    Retired: EQ2, CoH, Tabula Rasa, SWG, Warhammer, AoC
    Waiting For: SWTOR, APB
    Love(d): Tabula Rasa, SWG, World Of Warcraft, Age of Conan

• SturmrabeSturmrabe Member Posts: 927
    Originally posted by Ibluerate

I've got the feeling I missed out on something.
    Oh well.

You did... you really did.

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by MrGimpz

Originally posted by Vetarnias

SB was player driven; if that's what he wanted to do then he could do it. Now, if he had a guild affiliation and killed someone with any pulling power in a guild, he could expect his guild's city baned in the future. Or if he had no guild affiliation, those he was killing could call one or two of their buddy's and go and kill him.

It's up to you in SB - you drive what happens and your consequences have actions so you and/or your guild better be able to back up what you do and/or say.

Never explain SB. People who got it played it. People who didn't never will.

Actually, I did play Shadowbane. Not in its beginning -- I got a computer capable of running it only in 2007 -- but I did play it for free in December 2007 - January 2008, before leaving for Pirates of the Burning Sea.

What I found was a grindfest, peopled by gankers who acted out of boredom, while everybody was whining about the Chinese players (that was on Mourning).  Guild politics got us screwed, and we were just peons at the bottom of the ladder.

I hope a Shadowbane-type game can work and could work, but such games always end up being peopled by "1337" pricks who always want to stroke their e-peen, whatever it takes to do it: the people who killed Shadowbane and now wonder why it failed.