Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Apocrypha Interview

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Recently, MMORPG.com Managing Editor Jon Wood sat down with CCP's Petur Oskarsson to talk about EVE Online's most recent expansion, Apocrypha.

EVE Online Screenshot

Recently, I had the opportunity to sit down with CCP's Petur Oskarsson to talk about the recent launch of EVE Online's most recent, and some would say most sweeping expansion, Apocrypha.

When the team from EVE Online launched their Trinity expansion, there was an issue for a short time that saw people's boot.ini file deleted. While the issue was caught and repaired by the EVE team fairly quickly, it still left a number of players scratching their heads so I asked Petur if there were any similar incidents this time around with the rollout of Apocrypha.

Read the Apocrypha Interview

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Dear lord, the skill queue ALONE is worth the price of admission. I'm looking forward to start seeing tech 3 items in circulation, as well as the ships. This expo got me playing EVE again after a long time off and Im having a blast.

What I wonder is, with the boxed re-release, as a single server setup.....can things get out of hand technologically? How many players at once is too man y players, after they're last massive hardware overhaul? Just a consideration.

Anyways, Grats CCP, great expo and launch.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360
    Originally posted by spankybus

Dear lord, the skill queue ALONE is worth the price of admission. I'm looking forward to start seeing tech 3 items in circulation, as well as the ships. This expo got me playing EVE again after a long time off and Im having a blast.

What I wonder is, with the boxed re-release, as a single server setup.....can things get out of hand technologically? How many players at once is too man y players, after they're last massive hardware overhaul? Just a consideration.

Yeah.  The skill queue means you have to log in less often to manage your training.... but the game is still hopelessly boring and frustrating for new players.  No amount of shiny new graphics or media blitz will will change that.  I was hoping the game would be be better than it was when I tried it a couple of years ago, but from the perspective of a new player it's the same or worse.... now you start with less skills, and if anyone says the new tutorial or epic arc are any fun, they are lying to you.

There is a lot of stuff about this game I find appealing, but I just don't have any fun playing it.

• Unicorns_PwnUnicorns_Pwn Member Posts: 427
    Originally posted by Salvatoris

Yeah.  The skill queue means you have to log in less often to manage your training.... but the game is still hopelessly boring and frustrating for new players.  No amount of shiny new graphics or media blitz will will change that.  I was hoping the game would be be better than it was when I tried it a couple of years ago, but from the perspective of a new player it's the same or worse.... now you start with less skills, and if anyone says the new tutorial or epic arc are any fun, they are lying to you.

There is a lot of stuff about this game I find appealing, but I just don't have any fun playing it.

Who appointed you the spokesperson of the new players? Personal opinion is just that: personal. I have had an on off relationship trying to get into this game till the new expansion. Not only am I a subscriber now but have a friend who's playing now too and enjoying it. The idea isn't to be blown away and enjoy countless pve activities but just use them as a guide and the game is quite a bit clearer this go around than it used to be.

As for starting off with less skills, players now advance at 2x the speed while they actually make informed decisions about their players instead of things being assigned to them when they had no clue of their impact on the game like it used to be. All around this seems like a win in many ways for the new player. There is a video out there called the CCP challenge which demonstrates players who started new accounts and after only 2 days of training were raising hell against even established players.

I wish you luck in playing/finding a game you enjoy but don't go nominating yourself as any kind of spokesperson for others.

I am curious, and i do not mean this in a bad way at all, but is your play style geared towards soloing? EVEn is very confusing, even for someone like me whose toon started in 2004. But once I found fun people to play the game with, i started learning a lot from them and the game became more fun.

Before that, i played solo a lot and it was my favorite boring game. EVE is basically like a fantasy game with group-only play. You can solo, but god it sucks. jmho

www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

Originally posted by Unicorns_Pwn

Who appointed you the spokesperson of the new players? Personal opinion is just that: personal. I have had an on off relationship trying to get into this game till the new expansion. Not only am I a subscriber now but have a friend who's playing now too and enjoying it. The idea isn't to be blown away and enjoy countless pve activities but just use them as a guide and the game is quite a bit clearer this go around than it used to be.

As for starting off with less skills, players now advance at 2x the speed while they actually make informed decisions about their players instead of things being assigned to them when they had no clue of their impact on the game like it used to be. All around this seems like a win in many ways for the new player. There is a video out there called the CCP challenge which demonstrates players who started new accounts and after only 2 days of training were raising hell against even established players.

I wish you luck in playing/finding a game you enjoy but don't go nominating yourself as any kind of spokesperson for others.

I really don't see where I presented my opinion as anything other than that.  I wanted to be clear that I was a new player, but I certainly didn't claim to be representative of the group. :/

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

Originally posted by Unicorns_Pwn

I really don't see where I presented my opinion as anything other than that.  I wanted to be clear that I was a new player, but I certainly didn't claim to be representative of the group. :/

and yet my corp continues to gain new players weekly from mmorpg.com...even those who are past thier trial period.

and yet even after it being the most "boring" game.....it gains thousands of players monthly, continues to grow, is in the top 10 rated mmorpgs consistently, gives free HUGE expansions every year, and keeps breaking its own records for most concurrent users, and shows up in mainstream news like the New York Times when major alliances do something in game. How many games can you say that about almost 5 years after launch?

yeah the game sucks /snickers

I saw a review linked in that thread that sums this game up perfectly in four words.  :)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/208-Eve-Online

I saw a review linked in that thread that sums this game up perfectly in four words.  :)

ahh yes.....cause we all know zero is a true critic and not an entertainer..should i pull up the countless of gaming forums which rate eve at 90% or better?

Originally posted by miagisan

ahh yes.....cause we all know zero is a true critic and not an entertainer..should i pull up the countless of gaming forums which rate eve at 90% or better?

hahahahaha you know, i like EVE. regardless, this video bout made me shit my pants, because its really qft, just because i like it doesn't mean i can't admit it lol.

www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Actually that review is pretty much spot on for the single palyer side of it. What i noticed is that he didnt join a corperation and we all know how boring EvE can be when playing solo and mission runnning all the time

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

Originally posted by HYPERI0N

Actually that review is pretty much spot on for the single palyer side of it. What i noticed is that he didnt join a corperation and we all know how boring EvE can be when playing solo and mission runnning all the time

possibly but i been in a great corp (now a good alliance) since day 1.....so i never experienced the solo side of it

• ShadowsladyShadowslady Member UncommonPosts: 148

its all about finding fun people to play the game with.

Shadowlord Sage
    CmdrAkbar

Napa Valley, UO, 1997.

• CowzmanCowzman Member Posts: 1

I don't know after all the developer misconduct, shady deals and consistent ongoing rumors of in game tampering and cheating from the Devs I  just can't play this game anymore. I just don't trust CCP. Sell the game so blizzard :) Then maybe we can get a game with a good UI, and able to look at other things than outside of ships and boring planets all the time.