Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Ord Mantell Screens and Concept Art

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

Bioware has released details, screenshots and concept art for Ord Mantell, the planet first known in Star Wars lore simply as the planet where Han Solo encountered a bounty hunter between Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, and also the latest planet to be revealed to be in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

The folks over at BioWare Austin have posted an overview of the most recent planet revealed to be a part of the upcoming and hotly anticipated MMORPG Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Ord Mantel, the planet in questions, is a world that has been mentioned but never seen in the Star Wars films, but has featured prominently in expanded lore.

Star Wars:TOR Screenshot

Read more about Ord Mantell in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Comments

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

One day I will be on that planet.  SW:TOR is looking better each week.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

Count me in.

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

Bioware has me so excited, it makes me want to tinkle me pants.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

I wonder how much of that terrain will be explorable and open.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

I wonder how much of that terrain will be explorable and open.

If it's anything like KoTR...not much :/

• spaghett1spaghett1 Member Posts: 15

by the look of this game its gonna be Pay to Play..

• m240gulfm240gulf Member UncommonPosts: 460
    Originally posted by spaghett1

by the look of this game its gonna be Pay to Play..

Lol, I hope it is!

Ord Mantell, here I come....pew.pew.pew

I Reject your Reality and Substitute it with My Own!

• AmbushMartyrAmbushMartyr Member Posts: 69

No disrespect, but I think what some people think this game is going to be maybe different than what LucasArts and BioWare are making!

Most companys will release screens of a game when the graphics have been pretty much settled on and fluffed up to entice players to take notice. In most of these screens ive seen, the graphics cater to a younger crowd, and the shadows for starters are horrid, and the colors seem a wee bit pastel for me. I assume they chose this style for the fact they want everyone to be able to play this game whether its on a quad core 10 gigs of ram and dual 9800GTX NVidia cards, to those still playing on their Amegas. Thing is these graphics are way to out dated in a sense and give the game a more slightly upgraded feel than WoW. I think they couldve made the graphics a little more life like as most people now are at least running dual core processors and at least 3 gigs of ram in their systems. These graphics you could make look good playing it on a old Atari2600!

Im disappointed. I really dont think this game is gonna be what I or anyone else thinks its going to be. I could be wrong, but theres just something about those screens and how the saber fights look that scream mash button 1 5 times, hit button 2 three times, and finish him with button 3 one time! I just feel this game is just going to be another played out MMO that everyone will say is basically a "niche" game with a couple of neat features, and the rest will lead you on a linear path of never ending quests that will slowly turn out to be raid eccentric in the end. Hmm where have I seen that formula before?

Now I know people are going to go off on me, and thats fine. Ive played the sucker for far to long when it comes to believing MMO companys are going to delivery something revolutionary and different but cant even give you revolutionary graphics that CAN be tweaked down for older machines and still make the game look good. The tech is out there and with the money Lucas has, you would think they would be using it! Instead we get the same tired look, and that leads me to believe the same tired gameplay!

I will say I could be wrong, and I hope to god I am, but form all these screens and reading most of what I did read so far, Im not impressed. I would rather see another remake of Galaxies preCU but better than ever! Maybe they will here I dont know but the graphics is what sets the tone for me, and if Im playing in cartoon network MMO, thats pretty much what its going to feel like for me the rest of the game and possibly the mechanics. But I guess Ill have to wait and see to make a final judgment once CB comes around just how sandboxie itll be and just how revolutionary it has become. Till then, I just dont have any hope for this game atm due to the screens.

I didnt want to come off saying the grfx completely blew cause they dont. For the same type of tired look Ive seen before but a bit enhanced, it looks great! But it doesnt take much to make these types of graphics to look great to start with! Also as a SW fan myself its fantasy I know, but, its also a dark moody universe with real human characters and alien ones. So it shouldve been done more based on the time the old republic was in, and thats dark days not something that looks like Walt Disneys Happy Slappy Poly Pastel Pretty MMO!

• rawguttsrawgutts Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by AmbushMartyr

No disrespect, but I think what some people think this game is going to be maybe different than what LucasArts and BioWare are making!
    Most companys will release screens of a game when the graphics have been pretty much settled on and fluffed up to entice players to take notice. In most of these screens ive seen, the graphics cater to a younger crowd, and the shadows for starters are horrid, and the colors seem a wee bit pastel for me. I assume they chose this style for the fact they want everyone to be able to play this game whether its on a quad core 10 gigs of ram and dual 9800GTX NVidia cards, to those still playing on their Amegas. Thing is these graphics are way to out dated in a sense and give the game a more slightly upgraded feel than WoW. I think they couldve made the graphics a little more life like as most people now are at least running dual core processors and at least 3 gigs of ram in their systems. These graphics you could make look good playing it on a old Atari2600!
    Im disappointed. I really dont think this game is gonna be what I or anyone else thinks its going to be. I could be wrong, but theres just something about those screens and how the saber fights look that scream mash button 1 5 times, hit button 2 three times, and finish him with button 3 one time! I just feel this game is just going to be another played out MMO that everyone will say is basically a "niche" game with a couple of neat features, and the rest will lead you on a linear path of never ending quests that will slowly turn out to be raid eccentric in the end. Hmm where have I seen that formula before?

Now I know people are going to go off on me, and thats fine. Ive played the sucker for far to long when it comes to believing MMO companys are going to delivery something revolutionary and different but cant even give you revolutionary graphics that CAN be tweaked down for older machines and still make the game look good. The tech is out there and with the money Lucas has, you would think they would be using it! Instead we get the same tired look, and that leads me to believe the same tired gameplay!

I will say I could be wrong, and I hope to god I am, but form all these screens and reading most of what I did read so far, Im not impressed. I would rather see another remake of Galaxies preCU but better than ever! Maybe they will here I dont know but the graphics is what sets the tone for me, and if Im playing in cartoon network MMO, thats pretty much what its going to feel like for me the rest of the game and possibly the mechanics. But I guess Ill have to wait and see to make a final judgment once CB comes around just how sandboxie itll be and just how revolutionary it has become. Till then, I just dont have any hope for this game atm due to the screens.

I didnt want to come off saying the grfx completely blew cause they dont. For the same type of tired look Ive seen before but a bit enhanced, it looks great! But it doesnt take much to make these types of graphics to look great to start with! Also as a SW fan myself its fantasy I know, but, its also a dark moody universe with real human characters and alien ones. So it shouldve been done more based on the time the old republic was in, and thats dark days not something that looks like Walt Disneys Happy Slappy Poly Pastel Pretty MMO!

Ambush, you will be joining the dark side soon enough with the rest of us.  You cannot resist the temptation, no way in hell if you are any Star Wars fan. Bad shadows or not.   :-)

"waves hand"

*You will join the dark side.

**I will join the dark side.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by rawgutts

Ambush, you will be joining the dark side soon enough with the rest of us.  You cannot resist the temptation, no way in hell if you are any Star Wars fan. Bad shadows or not.   :-)
    "waves hand"

Point is, he is right.

This game is about to release somewhere in 2011-2012 or so?

By that time the graphics will be horribly outdated. Most of the gaming community will have PC's that can handle much better then this.

It doesn't need to have Age of Conan like graphics, but at least more life like like Ambush says.

The whole graphics look too much cartoonish for my taste and doesn't do the Star Wars IP and it's incredible worlds any justice. Wich is a shame.

Cheers

• VolvinoVolvino Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Originally posted by Guillermo197

"waves hand"

Point is, he is right.

By that time the graphics will be horribly outdated. Most of the gaming community will have PC's that can handle much better then this.

It doesn't need to have Age of Conan like graphics, but at least more life like like Ambush says.

The whole graphics look too much cartoonish for my taste and doesn't do the Star Wars IP and it's incredible worlds any justice. Wich is a shame.

Cheers

We dont know the release date yet and I, personally, believe that Bioware will come out with a release date anytime soon and that the game will come out in between 2009 and 2010, but thats just me.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by Volvino

Originally posted by Guillermo197

"waves hand"

Point is, he is right.

Cheers

We dont know the release date yet and I, personally, believe that Bioware will come out with a release date anytime soon and that the game will come out in between 2009 and 2010, but thats just me.

I think this is a more accurate estimate seeing how long they have been working on the game, and how they bought an engine for it.

But his point is still valid. The graphics look childish and outdated even by today's standards, so any time that passes before launch will just make that effect worse.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• ShadowsladyShadowslady Member UncommonPosts: 148

dearaa baby jesus, let me be a mando

Shadowlord Sage
    CmdrAkbar

Napa Valley, UO, 1997.

• JKnight1JKnight1 Member Posts: 72

We have to remember...the GRAPHICS are damn good. They are fine. It's the ART STYLE you dislike. the stylized, cartoonish art style. The graphics in it are awesome, and well made. Graphics have nothing to do with the cartoonish style, the art does.

But again, i'm a Star Wars fan. I played Lego Star Wars, both of em, beat em, unlocked everything. Now THAT is kiddy, cartoony, but also, fun, funny, and entertaining as hell. If you played either of them and liked/loved em, then go to say the art style for TOR is bad or you dislike it...shame on you.