Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Earthrise: First Look Preview

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

At GDC, the team from MMORPG.com got their first look at the upcoming, post-apocalyptic MMO Earthrise as Masthead Studios CEO Atanas Atanasov gave us an overview of some of the game's systems.

At GDC, we had the opportunity to sit down and talk to the folks from Earthrise to get our first look at their game. During the demo, Masthead Studios CEO Atanas Atanasov gave us an overview of a number of the game’s systems:

Armor

“In Earthrise,” said Atanasov, “everything is based on what gear you wear”.

The game makes use of two different major armor types: Heavy Armor and Light Armor. Heavy Armor is more suited toward players who want to play soldier types, both with guns and in close combat while light armor will be used by the game’s equivalent to mages in fantasy MMOs, psionics, cybermentalists, etc.

Equipment is divided into five slots: helmet, vest, gloves, leggings and boots.

Read the First Look Preview

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

"Atanasov made a point to remind us that the game makes use of RPG style combat and not FPS combat, meaning that ability recharges aren’t instant and that the pace of combat is a little bit slower than in an FPS."

My intrest just droped to nill. Also, Italic does not work. Changing the font also, changes your Forums UI font too.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• SXRchosen1SXRchosen1 Member Posts: 179

In Earthrise, you have to enter “fight mode”, which brings up a reticule. Your left mouse button will allow you to attack, and your right mouse button will activate your abilities.

Atanasov made a point to remind us that the game makes use of RPG style combat and not FPS combat, meaning that ability recharges aren’t instant and that the pace of combat is a little bit slower than in an FPS.

this kind of makes me feel uneasy...have a reticle lock but dont slow the game down, people need learn some skill not just pressing abunch of abilities... *prays* it doesnt turn out to be some auto aim bullshit like stargate...

on the upside! it looks neat :D

http://acominos.evony.com <- if your bored at work :)

• HarabeckHarabeck Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

"Atanasov made a point to remind us that the game makes use of RPG style combat and not FPS combat, meaning that ability recharges aren’t instant and that the pace of combat is a little bit slower than in an FPS."

My intrest just droped to nill. Also, Italic does not work. Changing the font also, changes your Forums UI font too.

This has been known for months, it was never meant to be an mmofps. It is a pvp-centric rpg.

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

This game sounds like another tabula rasa

• Reno0513Reno0513 Member Posts: 47

Fallen Earth looks like a better option.

• Sp00shSp00sh Member Posts: 48

Man...boooring trailer.  Step it up a notch!!!

• sithlord617sithlord617 Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by Zzulu

yeah reminds me a lil bit of tabula rasa mixed with some old swg. not sure if thats a good or bad thing either

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Not from a mile way.  Tabula Rasa had fastpasted FPS style of combat.

It's just a shame they are going for the boring dice rolling type of RPG combat with long cooldowns.

Doesn't suit this type of game at all. It's suppose to be a PVP centric game. So why in earth going for this slow boring combat system *sigh*

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

The God of gaming " Koster of Mos Eisley " doth approve of the features in this game, all we need now is player housing for the pre-cu Vets and the promise land will be ready!

I'd be interested to see how that combat system works out, since I'll be playing with a fully programmable keyboard I hope it is more of an rpg combat system :)

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

Originally posted by Guillermo197

Not from a mile way.  Tabula Rasa had fastpasted FPS style of combat.

It's just a shame they are going for the boring dice rolling type of RPG combat with long cooldowns.

Doesn't suit this type of game at all. It's suppose to be a PVP centric game. So why in earth going for this slow boring combat system *sigh*

"For everyone concerned about the slow pace:

We demonstrated 2 weapons at GDC - a close combat and ranged combat. The one from the video is a heavy gun used for ranged combat, which has 4 seconds cool down time. Think of it as a bazooka or a rocket launcher. This is probably one of the slowest weapons in Earthrise. The close combat weapon had 1 second cool down time, and is much faster. Some weapons in the game will have even shorter cool down than 1 second. We are still balancing the combat and weapons.

To say it in short, yes, we are aiming at an RPG feel, but most weapons will react fast and will have short cool down times. Yes, you can run and shoot too."

http://forums.play-earthrise.com/index.php?topic=4136.15

Don't jump the gun, this is the very first gameplay footage and the game is still in its early stages.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Reno0513

I agree.

Originally posted by mbd1968

I agree.

Different crowds, ER has more pvp and sandbox elements.

• vktra79vktra79 Member Posts: 34

I agree.

This doesn't tell anything. I don't think this is the place to comment other games.

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300
    Originally posted by vktra79

I agree.

This doesn't tell anything. I don't think this is the place to comment other games.

on the countary, the game just lost a potential customer, I was hyped bout this game.. till I saw their "slower RPG based combat" I might be wrong but that looked really boring. I wont say WoW in a Sci fi world because I know theres a lot of differences still.. with that UI and boring animations it tickles my mind..

It just looked dull and boring from the vid, thats it, if thats major or pointless its relative and subjective.

It tells everything and nothing, either theres a fanboy defending his precious or.. he/she/it just thought it was crap and so meantioned a competeter which I myself will pay more attention to now then before I saw the vid, I think thats very relavant to the disscusion

• vktra79vktra79 Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by PapaB34R

I agree.

on the countary, the game just lost a potential customer, I was hyped bout this game.. till I saw their "slower RPG based combat" I might be wrong but that looked really boring. I wont say WoW in a Sci fi world because I know theres a lot of differences still.. with that UI and boring animations it tickles my mind..

It just looked dull and boring from the vid, thats it, if thats major or pointless its relative and subjective.

It tells everything and nothing, either theres a fanboy defending his precious or.. he/she/it just thought it was crap and so meantioned a competeter which I myself will pay more attention to now then before I saw the vid, I think thats very relavant to the disscusion

Papa, you are making a good point that games should be compared. Well after seeing this:

www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/126/view/videos/play/1357/Fallen-Earth-Dance-Video.html

and this:

www.fallenearth.com/showvideo.php

No thanks, I will stick to Earthrise for the time being. In fact the second video is I think the first Fallen Earth video just like the one of Earthrise which was posted several weeks ago. Lets see what Earthrise gameplay videos are coming in the future and some Earthrise game reviews and then decide. It is too early to tell.

I agree.

Saying a game is slower than an fps isn't saying much. Keep in mind that this game is still in early beta (as in, it just started beta), and

that the weapon we saw in the video was one of the slowest in the game.

• SecurionSecurion Member Posts: 206

Omg, Darkfall take 2? Great features, great looking world but horrible animations and sounds? Wth...? Is every dev thinking we just wont notice? Or care?

Fix the god da** animations and sounds before releasing the game or dont release at all.

And whats up with the combat? "pew................. pew................ *grabs a smoke*........ "pew"...................."

Wtf?!? Wheres my aiming?!? Who took my aaaaaaiiiiii.....aaargh. *dies from a heart-attack*

Originally posted by Securion

Omg, Darkfall take 2? Great features, great looking world but horrible animations and sounds? Wth...? Is every dev thinking we just wont notice? Or care?
    Fix the god da** animations and sounds before releasing the game or dont release at all.
    And whats up with the combat? "pew................. pew................ *grabs a smoke*........ "pew"...................."
    Wtf?!? Wheres my aiming?!? Who took my aaaaaaiiiiii.....aaargh. *dies from a heart-attack*

Except the game isn't out, it's still in early testing. There is plenty of time to tweak the animations. As for the slow cooldown, look one post up.

• 1Samo1Samo Member Posts: 6

You guys need to stop wth the assumptions, this is not Adventurine, these are guys who love gaming and love making this game from what I can tell.

I've been keeping up with Earthrise for a long while now, I've always had fears that despite all this PERFECT ideas/concept the gameplay wouldnt be as perfect, but I still think it looks fantastic given that it's very early beta.

The fact that Ostiak cleared up the combat speed for us makes it even better as well. Let's not all get pre-judgy and wait for what this game might actually turn into.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725

By the time a game is in the public eye its mechanics are set in stone.

Originally posted by rounner

By the time a game is in the public eye its mechanics are set in stone.

That's a joke right?

• darkasterdarkaster Member Posts: 187
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

My intrest just droped to nill.

This.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Agricola1

The God of gaming " Koster of Mos Eisley " doth approve of the features in this game, all we need now is player housing for the pre-cu Vets and the promise land will be ready!
    I'd be interested to see how that combat system works out, since I'll be playing with a fully programmable keyboard I hope it is more of an rpg combat system :)

The amount and type of XP or in case SKILL POINTS earned is the key and i don't see it talked about.

This is the part ALL players who see the "SKILL POINTS " get all excited but are just fooled into thinkiong this means a good or better system.All it means is that you instead of starting at your proper skills for that GAIN,you start at the LOWEST point and have to work your way up.This is actually the EXACT same thing as a normal traditional system,they just fool you by allowing you the option to load the points,it is also a way to further players "GRINDING " in a game.

A real EFFORT put into game design knows how to utilize a XP leveling system and yet still maintain a skill system RELATED to your "skill tree" or as in normal case a "CLASS SYSTEM".

Case in point FFXI>>you have xp gains and levels.Depending what type of weapon and class you are, you can further raise your skills that relate to what you need "OF COURSE" just as you would in this games system.

The BIG difference is a lesser design in this games point.You do not need to DESIGN anything,just give the players nothing and make them "GRIND" to where they meet the normal game level of gaining skills.So just as in FFFXI as an "example" by level 5 you have 20 skills point in several areas "YOU NEED",say 14-18 skills points in related areas such as defensive abilities as Block/Parry/Shield/magic whatever is related to your class.In FFXI's case it takes a LOT more effort to design.This game you start with 0 then by the same TIME equivalent you will end up with guess what?yep the equivalent of 20 skills points where you need them and some skills points in RELATED areas,to mould your player into the EXACT same thing as picking a class and mould it into the proper skill set it needs.I found it funny when the video said you have 1 for a noob tactic,then 2 is fully upgraded?huh 1 an 2? lmao not much design there.

To further show the simpler and quicker approach,this game will utilize "LESS" slots than almost every game on the market...ONLY 5 ![missing kneck/back/fingers/wrist].This takes again less effort.MOST games utilize THREE sets of armour,a CLOTH/LEATHER/PLATE,this game utilizes TWO.I feel the more i look over the features,this game is being rushed out the door,as nothing but a nice idea but little time and effort put into it's design.I have yet to hear an "IN DEPTH" discussion on how they plan to implement the PVE part of the game,PVP is again a stupified design,all the games do it the same,except AV made their PVP based on "I can't see shit"so now it's skilled" lmao.It takes a lot more effort designing PVE,because you have to make the game based on what you "PERCEIVE" players will do with their skill points,or as in EVERY skill based system i have seen,they make sure to allow for players that max out the damage end of the spectrum,because they cannot allow the game to be broken.

If the game takes a super stupified approach and just lets you grind out points forever with no care for SKILL,then it would be a terrible design.Case in point, fighting the lowest level of mob in the game for 3 weeks straight before moving on,and having skills that are far too strong for the matched area.So as in case of a XP type game,would be the equivalent of allowing players to gain xp as a level 20 player killing level 1 mobs,just a ridiculous design and a lazy one.You need to make players EARN their skill points and FORCE them to make PROPER decisions,because once they out skill the area,they are forced to move on to get more skill points.If you still cannot understand what i am saying,then imagine this for a simplified example.....

Player stays in noob area for 3 weeks,has 30 skill points in running,30 skill points in heavy weapons,30 skill points in ANY other areas related to the game design,you can see how DUMB down the game design would be.It would also allow players with superior skills to stick around and kill new players just joining the game,what kind of challenge would that offer to players?a heck of a lot to the noob but ZERO to the vet.This was a simple example to show how the game fails using this design.Just as in an XP or level based game ,players SHOULD and MUST be forced to move onto their proper skill area in order to achieve gains,otherwise what is the purpose of playing,if there is NO challenge?

I probably need to wait and see a lot more of their design before i criticize,but looking over the basics,it seems a cheap design.I LOVE a good looking game it means as much to me as design,but without design it will still IMO fail.From what i have seen,these guys struggle to equal the design challenge ,because in the end they will LIMIT your skills quite a bit based on what tree you decide to open up or follow.Guess what?again i will utilize the FFXI system,the type of system players are tired of and think is a lesser system.In FFXI you "CAN" be a healer and a melee at the same time ,using their sub class system,and you know why?because a LOT more thought and design was put into it ,to make it work and not break the game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Originally posted by Agricola1

The amount and type of XP or in case SKILL POINTS earned is the key and i don't see it talked about.

This is the part ALL players who see the "SKILL POINTS " get all excited but are just fooled into thinkiong this means a good or better system.All it means is that you instead of starting at your proper skills for that GAIN,you start at the LOWEST point and have to work your way up.This is actually the EXACT same thing as a normal traditional system,they just fool you by allowing you the option to load the points,it is also a way to further players "GRINDING " in a game.

A real EFFORT put into game design knows how to utilize a XP leveling system and yet still maintain a skill system RELATED to your "skill tree" or as in normal case a "CLASS SYSTEM".

Case in point FFXI>>you have xp gains and levels.Depending what type of weapon and class you are, you can further raise your skills that relate to what you need "OF COURSE" just as you would in this games system.

The BIG difference is a lesser design in this games point.You do not need to DESIGN anything,just give the players nothing and make them "GRIND" to where they meet the normal game level of gaining skills.So just as in FFFXI as an "example" by level 5 you have 20 skills point in several areas "YOU NEED",say 14-18 skills points in related areas such as defensive abilities as Block/Parry/Shield/magic whatever is related to your class.In FFXI's case it takes a LOT more effort to design.This game you start with 0 then by the same TIME equivalent you will end up with guess what?yep the equivalent of 20 skills points where you need them and some skills points in RELATED areas,to mould your player into the EXACT same thing as picking a class and mould it into the proper skill set it needs.I found it funny when the video said you have 1 for a noob tactic,then 2 is fully upgraded?huh 1 an 2? lmao not much design there

Whether a game is "grindy" or not is independent of level vs skill, in any case, all rpg's will have some element of grind. The point of a skill system such ER's is that you get to choose any combo you want instead of being tied to the builds the devs hand you. If that's not your cup of tea, go find a theme park game. Also, if you were listening, the 1 and 2 were after you buy the original ability, each of the 270 abilities have 3 levels.

To further show the simpler and quicker approach,this game will utilize "LESS" slots than almost every game on the market...ONLY 5 ![missing kneck/back/fingers/wrist].This takes again less effort.MOST games utilize THREE sets of armour,a CLOTH/LEATHER/PLATE,this game utilizes TWO.I feel the more i look over the features,this game is being rushed out the door,as nothing but a nice idea but little time and effort put into it's design.I have yet to hear an "IN DEPTH" discussion on how they plan to implement the PVE part of the game,PVP is again a stupified design,all the games do it the same,except AV made their PVP based on "I can't see shit"so now it's skilled" lmao.It takes a lot more effort designing PVE,because you have to make the game based on what you "PERCEIVE" players will do with their skill points,or as in EVERY skill based system i have seen,they make sure to allow for players that max out the damage end of the spectrum,because they cannot allow the game to be broken.

You forgot the 3 devices, it comes out to just a few less than what Wow uses. For any in depth discussions, I suggest you head over to the ER forums. And how the hell can you call fully guild controlled territory warfare, with guild built bases including defense, a "stupified design", do you know anything about the game you're talking about?

If the game takes a super stupified approach and just lets you grind out points forever with no care for SKILL,then it would be a terrible design.Case in point, fighting the lowest level of mob in the game for 3 weeks straight before moving on,and having skills that are far too strong for the matched area.So as in case of a XP type game,would be the equivalent of allowing players to gain xp as a level 20 player killing level 1 mobs,just a ridiculous design and a lazy one.You need to make players EARN their skill points and FORCE them to make PROPER decisions,because once they out skill the area,they are forced to move on to get more skill points.If you still cannot understand what i am saying,then imagine this for a simplified example.....

There is a system which accomplishes exactly this called battle rating. Again, actually research the game you're talking.

Player stays in noob area for 3 weeks,has 30 skill points in running,30 skill points in heavy weapons,30 skill points in ANY other areas related to the game design,you can see how DUMB down the game design would be.It would also allow players with superior skills to stick around and kill new players just joining the game,what kind of challenge would that offer to players?a heck of a lot to the noob but ZERO to the vet.This was a simple example to show how the game fails using this design.Just as in an XP or level based game ,players SHOULD and MUST be forced to move onto their proper skill area in order to achieve gains,otherwise what is the purpose of playing,if there is NO challenge?

See above, just because you havn't looked into the game, doesn't mean the devs are dumb.

I probably need to wait and see a lot more of their design before i criticize(no kidding?),but looking over the basics,it seems a cheap design.I LOVE a good looking game it means as much to me as design,but without design it will still IMO fail.From what i have seen,these guys struggle to equal the design challenge ,because in the end they will LIMIT your skills quite a bit based on what tree you decide to open up or follow.Guess what?again i will utilize the FFXI system,the type of system players are tired of and think is a lesser system.In FFXI you "CAN" be a healer and a melee at the same time ,using their sub class system,and you know why?because a LOT more thought and design was put into it ,to make it work and not break the game.

It baffles me that you can spout so much garbage without having looked into the game at all. Head over MastHead's forums and check out their site, especially the Question of the Week forum, a lot of stuff has been explained there, and nothing seems rushed, they aren't totally retards, they have in fact thought about the game they're making..

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300

I agree.

Papa, you are making a good point that games should be compared. Well after seeing this:

www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/126/view/videos/play/1357/Fallen-Earth-Dance-Video.html

and this:

www.fallenearth.com/showvideo.php

No thanks, I will stick to Earthrise for the time being. In fact the second video is I think the first Fallen Earth video just like the one of Earthrise which was posted several weeks ago. Lets see what Earthrise gameplay videos are coming in the future and some Earthrise game reviews and then decide. It is too early to tell.

it is true that we should wait for final judgement till both games have atleast entered its last stage of beta but... I was referring to the dullness and plain empty and shallow gameplay which we saw  in the video wether or not its the correct picture of gameplay remains to be seen but in my eyes fallen earth just took a great leap.

As for the videos in liks your showing me.. I believe one is made as a joke so dont know why you would compare those two videos, there are a lot of videos on youtube on fallen earth and to me it looks like itl be a lot more fun.

Is this a fanboy reply?