Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stargate Worlds: Stargate Still Standing

2»

Comments

• vefrodevefrode Member Posts: 13

I'm suprised MGM isn't investing a lot into this game, They get on their knees for SG-1 and Atlantis, even still trying to get sifi renew SG-1. Or at least they were. Stargate Universe would be amazing to explore but i don't see sucess if MGM isn't even dedicated to it.

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449
    Originally posted by Mysk

"The lights here are still on and the development team is working hard every day to get this game built," said Balentine in the statement. "Team members are in the office seven days a week to deliver Stargate Worlds."

Picture says it all.  Doesn't even need a caption.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Well if they hadn't hit on having a good MMO coming together on their hands by the time this hit, they may as well not bother if it's just looking mediocre. Lets hope this new company has not been looking over it's shoulder copying popular trends in the MMO industry and has created a game with their own creativity and innovation that will make it a popular MMO for sci fi fans who enjoy the StarGate IP, only time will tell. They've got stiff competition from Earthrise and Mortal online, not to mention two twitched based space action MMO's join the claim to the MMO sci fi pie soon.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by Stradden

Originally posted by streea

The economy might be suffering, but the gaming/MMO industry is not.

I wouldn't say that... There have been layoffs all over the place. many people from within the industry are currently unemployed due to the economic crisis. Investor money in these difficult times, is hard to come by, smaller studios are having trouble making payroll... just like everywhere else.

This is a very true statement that the overall financial outlook has had a great effect on developers but I do have to add that the way they try to use the economy as an excuse doesn't sit well.These kind of statements to me are akin to a person commiting murder and then blaming a song that they heard on the radio.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• Deadman87Deadman87 Member Posts: 253

I don't understand what this game have that's going to attract enough people to keep it alive.

Can I play as MacGyver?

It is preferable not to travel with a dead man.

• Egamst3kEgamst3k Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by jaxsundane

This is a very true statement that the overall financial outlook has had a great effect on developers but I do have to add that the way they try to use the economy as an excuse doesn't sit well.These kind of statements to me are akin to a person commiting murder and then blaming a song that they heard on the radio.

That's an incredibly poor analogy, no offense.

A company's ability to raise capital is heavily metered by the Fed and surrounding entities. Since most up-start companies rely almost exclusively on debt (hence the incredibly high volatility) through Bonds, IPOs, and general lending through major banks (whose interest rates are heavily influenced by the Fed), funding availability in a Recession -as we're in - is slim.

This basically ends up to there being nobody to borrow money from, and no one willing to give loans. When was the last time you heard of an MMO built without debt? Tabula Rasa was some $7.5 Million (or was it more?) in debt by the end. Funcom was also multiple million dollars in debt at the launch of AoC. I can't think of a single 3D MMO that has launched without massive debt.

Now, however, without anyone lending money and available credit shrinking, you have to finish up games with less money. This means cut features, fewer employees, and other cost-reducing measures to ensure that you still have a viable product. Whether or not Stargate Worlds is a viable product or not doesn't matter if they can't get the money to fund production costs.

So it may seem like a Cop-out, but they get their money from investors and banks. As an investor myself, I have to say - these are not fun times to start a company.

Yes, I am an English Major.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

It's Dead, Jim!

• cccttvvcccttvv Member Posts: 6

agreed on it lol

• RastonRaston Member Posts: 438
    Originally posted by Egamst3k

Originally posted by jaxsundane

That's an incredibly poor analogy, no offense.

A company's ability to raise capital is heavily metered by the Fed and surrounding entities. Since most up-start companies rely almost exclusively on debt (hence the incredibly high volatility) through Bonds, IPOs, and general lending through major banks (whose interest rates are heavily influenced by the Fed), funding availability in a Recession -as we're in - is slim.

This basically ends up to there being nobody to borrow money from, and no one willing to give loans. When was the last time you heard of an MMO built without debt? Tabula Rasa was some $7.5 Million (or was it more?) in debt by the end. Funcom was also multiple million dollars in debt at the launch of AoC. I can't think of a single 3D MMO that has launched without massive debt.

Now, however, without anyone lending money and available credit shrinking, you have to finish up games with less money. This means cut features, fewer employees, and other cost-reducing measures to ensure that you still have a viable product. Whether or not Stargate Worlds is a viable product or not doesn't matter if they can't get the money to fund production costs.

So it may seem like a Cop-out, but they get their money from investors and banks. As an investor myself, I have to say - these are not fun times to start a company.

Obviously you don't work in banking...  banks aren't lending because of the fed or the recession, banks (who aren't lending, some are) are doing so due to a crunch in liquidity due to toxic assets (NPL and NPAs) which are eating up their capital due to write downs and write offs and provisions for loan losses due to the idiotic decisions of our government (starting back in 1999 when Clinton pushed for lower standards at FNMA and FHMLC) and the banks and mortgage companies (which are out of the game before the crap hit the fan I might add) that saw dollar signs due to that poor governmental policy who made too many loans to people who shouldn't of had them.  Add to that the charge of racism any time someone tried to fix the problem before it became the mess we have now and you wind up with this situation of the housing market crashing.

There is only one way that the fed controls lending activity and that is with the reserve rate (or how much in deposits a bank must keep based upon their deposits).  The interest rate doesn't change the amount a bank has to lend, just how many are willing to borrow, it is a demand side mechanic.

• KeptKept Member Posts: 22

[quote]For some time now, speculation has been running rampant about the current development status of Firesky's sci-fi MMO Stargate Worlds.[/quote]

I'm confused by the "Firesky's game" comment.

I thought it was being developed by Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment? Was there a change in developers?

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089

I find it amusing that the developers say "We're doing just fine! The "rumors" are lies!" and people just buy it hook, line, and sinker. Guess what, Perpetual Entertainment said "We're doing just fine! The rumors are lies!" just before they abruptly shut down with no warning in the middle of beta for Gods and Heres.

There's a lot more evidence from the community showing CME being in trouble than there is from the developers showing everything is fine. Just like PE with G and H.

• supremeaaronsupremeaaron Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Kept

[quote]For some time now, speculation has been running rampant about the current development status of Firesky's sci-fi MMO Stargate Worlds.[/quote]
    I'm confused by the "Firesky's game" comment.
    I thought it was being developed by Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment? Was there a change in developers?

firesky is the SGW publisher its the publishing part of CME and the stargate license was transferd from CME to Firesky in April 2008. CME is the coding department Firesky is the publisher. Firesky owns the stargate license not CME. They are litterly the same company but different departments

• ShadowsladyShadowslady Member UncommonPosts: 148

TIIIIIMBER

Shadowlord Sage
    CmdrAkbar

Napa Valley, UO, 1997.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

TBH I never had a lot of hope for this game's success because, frankly, I just don't see a way for an MMO to capture the heart of the Stargate shows.. I just don't think it can be done without massive instancing (a-la GuildWars & DDO) which typically pisses traditional MMO players off. But without massive instancing and a very linear storyline I just don't see SGW feeling much like Stargate at all.

I hope, for the sake of the employees, that they do pull it off and it is a smashing success... but if history is any indicator this title is doomed.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092
    Originally posted by Deadman87

I don't understand what this game have that's going to attract enough people to keep it alive.

Can I play as MacGyver?

Maybe they need to hire MacGyver. He could take some used bubble gum, his shoe laces, a piece of lint, and make SGW with just those items.

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652
    Originally posted by vefrode

I'm suprised MGM isn't investing a lot into this game, They get on their knees for SG-1 and Atlantis, even still trying to get sifi renew SG-1. Or at least they were. Stargate Universe would be amazing to explore but i don't see sucess if MGM isn't even dedicated to it.

Stargate is a strong IP for MGM but its not a top draw like Star Trek or Star Wars.  The strength of interest will be keeping a Stargate product infront of the audiance.  Stargate Universe will premier soon but I don't think it will have the legs that the two previous series have had.  Stargate Universe basic plot is ---> Star Trek: Voyager.  SGW will need SU to help propel the interest to gain funding.  If this series fails, then thats what will be the final nail in the coffin for the game.

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

From what I've heard, the gameplay and the state of the product  looks as if it suffers from a lack of funding. It's too bad. Hopefully they will work it out.

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

CME failed to meet payroll again last week and the pyramid scheme Whiting was using to pay his staff is cracking up. CME directors are selling off the non toxic assests of the CME/Firesky enterprise to eachother for worthless shares in CME and look ready to bail with golden parachute and all.

I dare Gary Whiting to come here an offer MMORPG an interview and tour of the CME offices where all those DEVs (that weren't laid off) are hard at work coding SGW. But he won't because he can't.

I wonder who that light they left on is for?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• bizarroderekbizarroderek Member Posts: 1

As far as I know, and I havent been in the building since Jan. They are still working on it as hard as they can. Everyone wants it to ship dispite whatever else is going on. I wont talk negitive about it but I also wont sugar coat anything.

• supremeaaronsupremeaaron Member UncommonPosts: 189

Bizzaroderek Im going to miss you not working on SGW :( But where ever you go I hope you do well. Well atleast you speak some positives :D

ps everyone on sgw irc misses you :)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

This was a case of a guy who had a past for feeding BS and getting investors to give him money.I remeber he had some Pyramid scheme or something going as well.He just has no morals and does not beleive in legit,just find a way to fill my pockets with money.

I doubt this is the same team,i doubt they would go back to work for this guy after being mislead.

This imo is just anotehr scheme to bait investors into giving him more money.

I have a LOT of respect for past employees,none for the owner/operator.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Wizardry

This was a case of a guy who had a past for feeding BS and getting investors to give him money.I remeber he had some Pyramid scheme or something going as well.He just has no morals and does not beleive in legit,just find a way to fill my pockets with money.

I doubt this is the same team,i doubt they would go back to work for this guy after being mislead.

This imo is just anotehr scheme to bait investors into giving him more money.

I have a LOT of respect for past employees,none for the owner/operator.

Why are you necroing a 4 year old thread?

Harbinger of Fools
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I wish this game would come to live. I waited for it for so long and I was so disappointed when they stopped developement.

Done right, it could be awesome game.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    OMGGGGGG ef you to the guy that Necro'd this. I saw it in the "Current Forum Activity" section of the homepage and got all excited until I saw the date on the post. ;( I loved the Stargate TV series... aw man....
  • JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    Wish they would go to kickstarter to get some funding to make this game ACTUALLY happen...
This discussion has been closed.