Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Earth: Getting Started

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

At the Game Developer’s Conference, we ran into the guys from Fallen Earth who gave us kind of a whirlwind tour of their game. In this part of our guided tour through the game, we learn about character creation and the game's tutorial.

The world has been decimated by a virus. You are one of the few survivors of the apocalypse fighting to stay alive in a crazy and violent world. That's more or less the premise of the game. The game is set in the Grand Canyon. Interestingly, the "world" was built using topographical maps of the actual Grand Canyon so that the game is more or less geographically accurate.

Next, the game's Lead Designer Lee Hammock told us a little bit about how the character creation process works in Fallen Earth. This part of the game, we are told, is mostly for aesthetics. You don't have to make mechanical decisions (class race, etc. etc.) until you've been in-game for a while.

Getting Started in Fallen Earth

In this part of our guided tour through the game, we learn about character creation and the game's tutorial.

Getting Started in Fallen Earth

Read Getting Started

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300

I must say Im really hyped about this game. No levels should mean no grind.. although thats probably false (the grind that is) one can still hope. Its a fresh wind into the somewhat stale and non-flexible market, I mean you gotta respect something not comin out in pointy ears and silly costumes.

This is for me a must buy, to hell with all lame cartoony mmos. I have longed for something more real-like and more action paced. I mean what would you rather have a shotgun or a pink spear...

*edit* what no womanly body hair?!? what has this world come to*

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

hopefully not a shotgun that fires pink spears /nod

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • PossumPossum Member UncommonPosts: 65

they used a notebook instead of a high-end pc to present the game? maybe i wont have to buy a new pc to play the game.

anyone has a idea which nb that was?

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

After viewing those videos, Fallen Earth reminds me a lot of Neocron.  A lot of what was discussed as to features are nearly identical to it, with the exception of classless, skill oriented system.  This however is not a bad thing, as this is what Reakktor should have done to begin with.  I hope that Fallen Earth will succeed, where Neocron failed.  This game as it looks from the videos, deserves mass market success.

Can't wait to try the final product.  Good luck to the devs.

• SXRchosen1SXRchosen1 Member Posts: 179
    Originally posted by hidden1

After viewing those videos, Fallen Earth reminds me a lot of Neocron.  A lot of what was discussed as to features are nearly identical to it, with the exception of classless, skill oriented system.  This however is not a bad thing, as this is what Reakktor should have done to begin with.  I hope that Fallen Earth will succeed, where Neocron failed.  This game as it looks from the videos, deserves mass market success.
    Can't wait to try the final product.  Good luck to the devs.

Neocron is free by the way everyone! Come check it out!

ive been playing since day 1 release

back on topic: Fallen Earth had a full page in Game Informer so it seems that have good marketing somewhere ;)

Keep up the good work FE!

[Mod Edit]

http://acominos.evony.com <- if your bored at work :)

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

I'm impressed with the thought that went into the setting and starting story.   Kind of Fallout-like but heck, it's not like the games wouldn't share similiarities in setting lol

I was wondering how they were going to do the setting. The Grand Canyon is an excellent choice. It explains why you can't just wander off - there's nothing but barren desert where you'd die if you go off into the sunset lol.

I also like the idea of characters being freshly minted clones, it explains why you don't know anything about the world or even know how to do anything lol

They obviously put a good deal of thought into these aspects, it will be interesting to see if just as much thought was put into the game systems.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Women still shave their legs in an apocalyptic future.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Hammertime1Hammertime1 Member Posts: 619

This is definately a game to watch! 

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525
    Originally posted by grunty

Women still shave their legs in an apocalyptic future.

That's what the B-grade post-apocalypse movies tell us :)  

• ShreddiShreddi Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Originally posted by blackthornn

hopefully not a shotgun that fires pink spears /nod

Im with you.  I hate nerfed guns.  Especially ones that are supposed to be built with futuristic tech.  Maybe thats whats in store for us in real life.  Nerf guns that dont kill people.   Tabula Rasa really did the guns right.  One blast with the shotgun blew the enemy back off its feet and killed it.   TR even used the coolest gun sounds taken from the coolest sounding guns in real life.

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

I've been pimping this game on this site every chance I get. It's my #1 must-have. Everything about the game mechanics sounds awesom;. from fps aiming combined with rpg damage accessment, to the in-depth crafting that actually gives you an alternate xp path, to the 6 factions that should prove to be an incentive for role-playing, and add interest to pvp. Now I only hope it LOOKS better than thosse videos represented...:)

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Alienovrlord

I'm impressed with the thought that went into the setting and starting story.   Kind of Fallout-like but heck, it's not like the games wouldn't share similiarities in setting lol
    I was wondering how they were going to do the setting. The Grand Canyon is an excellent choice. It explains why you can't just wander off - there's nothing but barren desert where you'd die if you go off into the sunset lol.
    I also like the idea of characters being freshly minted clones, it explains why you don't know anything about the world or even know how to do anything lol
    They obviously put a good deal of thought into these aspects, it will be interesting to see if just as much thought was put into the game systems.

Just to give credit where credit is due.  Neocron did the clone thing.  Again not a bad thing to copy Neocron, as it has a loyal following, and for good reason.  However when this comes out, and lives up to its devs.' claims, I'm sure a lot of those players may see themselves migrating to Fallen Earth.

• Erazor01Erazor01 Member Posts: 109
    Originally posted by PapaB34R

I must say Im really hyped about this game. No levels should mean no grind.. although thats probably false (the grind that is) one can still hope. Its a fresh wind into the somewhat stale and non-flexible market, I mean you gotta respect something not comin out in pointy ears and silly costumes.
    This is for me a must buy, to hell with all lame cartoony mmos. I have longed for something more real-like and more action paced. I mean what would you rather have a shotgun or a pink spear...

*edit* what no womanly body hair?!? what has this world come to*

You really didn't pay attention to the videos, did you?  There most certainly are levels, and there will be as much grind as any game trying to get your Advancement Points up, and grinding to get the money/materials for every bullet you fire, all the fuel for your vehicles etc etc.