Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stargate Worlds: Stargate Still Standing

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Acccording to a statement issued on Monday night, Firesky's upcoming MMORPG Stargate Worlds is still up and running and while it isn't out of the woods yet, the statement indicates continued goodness on the horizon.

For some time now, speculation has been running rampant about the current development status of Firesky's sci-fi MMO Stargate Worlds. Monday evening, Kevin Balentine, the game's Senior Marketing Manager issued an official statement assuring fans that the game is still under development.

"The lights here are still on and the development team is working hard every day to get this game built," said Balentine in the statement. "Team members are in the office seven days a week to deliver Stargate Worlds."

Read Stargate Still Standing

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• synergisynergi Member UncommonPosts: 133

Not to sound negative, but this sounds like Perpetual all over again. I for one would rather Firesky die then release a crap game and ruin the Stargate franchise as a viable game.  I rather a tried and tested development company gain hold of the IP and put out a great StarGate game that's polished over Firesky releasing it just to release it.

I guess time will tell if they really have a deal with a new backer coming up. I just have a bad feeling it will be like Perpetual, shutting down over night just weeks before release without any vocal warning from them.

"It is better to die on one's feet than to live on one's knees,"

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Sure Mr. Balentine.   blablabla.

Cheers

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

Kinda reminds me of Ken Lay urging ENRON employees to buy more stock just days before the implosion......

• GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567

Now wait a minute, I don't think they'd let it go this far to let it fail

However notice that NOWHERE did it say they were in the office 7 days a week working full time on the game

gotta save money somewhere.

• jmwiensjmwiens Member Posts: 6

You have to look at the big picture.  It seems pretty unlikely that this game wil ever see the light of day.  Perhaps "still standing" for now but there's not one positive sign to be found.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

What a load of complete nonsense.  We have enough bad spin doctors out there without adding another one.

Accept that you failed and move on.  There has been too much comment on the web how bad this game is. 

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by synergi

Not to sound negative, but this sounds like Perpetual all over again. 

Bingo. I still remember Gods and Heroes. After I played the mess that was beta, and the fact they could only run it twice a week at best...then they pulled this crap of "We are still on track"...oh, I don't know...one to two weeks before announcing the cancellation?

lol

Yea, I do not see this coming out. Disappointed really.

Later

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982
    Originally posted by Stradden

Acccording to a statement issued on Monday night, Firesky's upcoming MMORPG Stargate Worlds is still up and running and while it isn't out of the woods yet, the statement indicates continued goodness on the horizon.

For some time now, speculation has been running rampant about the current development status of Firesky's sci-fi MMO Stargate Worlds. Monday evening, Kevin Balentine, the game's Senior Marketing Manager issued an official statement assuring fans that the game is still under development.
    "The lights here are still on and the development team is working hard every day to get this game built," said Balentine in the statement. "Team members are in the office seven days a week to deliver Stargate Worlds."

Read Stargate Still Standing

Picture says it all.  Doesn't even need a caption.

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654
    Originally posted by synergi

Not to sound negative, but this sounds like Perpetual all over again.

Agreed.

New MMO companies really need to get their stuff together... it takes a lot of time and money to make an MMO. I'd guess that they started with only a fraction of the funds they needed in the hope that a semi-finished product would rope more investors in, but did something wrong down the line. The economy might be suffering, but the gaming/MMO industry is not.

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by streea

The economy might be suffering, but the gaming/MMO industry is not.

I wouldn't say that... There have been layoffs all over the place. many people from within the industry are currently unemployed due to the economic crisis. Investor money in these difficult times, is hard to come by, smaller studios are having trouble making payroll... just like everywhere else.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• BattleskarBattleskar Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by GamerAeon

Now wait a minute, I don't think they'd let it go this far to let it fail
    However notice that NOWHERE did it say they were in the office 7 days a week working full time on the game
    gotta save money somewhere.

Let me remind you that Perpetual had a game called Gods & Heroes that was pretty much a finished product and just about ready for release and they closed down the game and the company.How far a game has progressed means absolutly nothing in todays economic environment.You would be wise to not get hyped about this game until you see it finished and released.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Originally posted by openedge1

Bingo. I still remember Gods and Heroes. After I played the mess that was beta, and the fact they could only run it twice a week at best...then they pulled this crap of "We are still on track"...oh, I don't know...one to two weeks before announcing the cancellation?

Some developers actually have play time "windows" in early stages of beta where they are doing so many changes that they have to focus on getting some of their main priorities in game before they will open it up to 24/7 access.  I recall Cryptic did this with City of Heroes -- iirc, they did a Wednesday/Friday 3 hour window for concentrated testing. As the product matured, they would let it run past the Friday window until the server went down on its own accord (or Monday morning and "back to work" time hit).  And of course, the windows eventually disappeared and the game went 24/7 while still in (what I would call) mid-beta.

Now that being said... I don't foresee anything good coming out of SGW.  If half of what I heard of the beta was even close, they should probably pull the plug and be done with it.

• SlackerboySlackerboy Member Posts: 142

I'd really like to see this game come out, but more and more it looks like they are going to be forced to rush it out the door to get it out before they close up shop.

Sigh. I had high hopes for this one, but these days Im only giving this game about a 5% chance of coming out and being worth paying for.

• slacker0503slacker0503 Member Posts: 1

Quite frankly this just sucks for the gaming community. The fighting style for this MMO was supposed to pave the way for new games out there but with this fail who knows if anyone will try something truly different!

This game was the reason I joined this site to keep tabs on it. Fortunately I've found some other games I like or this would've been a complete waste of my time.

• BlakeySGVBlakeySGV Member Posts: 106

It really should be taken as a kind of responsibility for anyone that's a fan of mmos to avoid this game. If it ever does see the light of day that is. I know how that sounds just looking at the statement, but do your homework on the company making it and the people in charge, and you'll see what I mean. If it ever makes it out, all the stuff surrounding it is going to really put a black mark on the entire genre, and the source IP for that matter. MGM should get this license back as soon as they can. The people still involved with it, employees and fans alike, should be ashamed of themselves.

• SoSilencerSoSilencer Member Posts: 40

I agree with first reply. I still think it's unlikely to come out and if it does it probably won't be what it should be. I'd really love for this to be an awesome game but anything short of amazing and we'd all better off without it.

• shade273shade273 Member UncommonPosts: 47

SGW is the biggest disappointment (imo)-it should have been under developement season 3 and it's not even released after 10 years of sg1 and the many more from atlantis?  Sorry-far from unimpressed at this point.

• -Killez--Killez- Member Posts: 7

Maybe they shouldn't of put all that money into sponsoring a raceteam. Hmmm that would of been a great money saver there. But I think if it comes down to it MGM would step in take control of CM and finish the game. MGM is very protective of the Stargate Franchise.

Make Sure to Visit Stargate Worlds For up to date news and screenshots.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• HadorakHadorak Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by -Killez-

Maybe they shouldn't of put all that money into sponsoring a raceteam. Hmmm that would of been a great money saver there. But I think if it comes down to it MGM would step in take control of CM and finish the game. MGM is very protective of the Stargate Franchise.

At this point it would probably be to little to late.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

What do they mean by first Launched title??? I played a star gate game for the Super Nintendo or Genisis when i was a kid and that launched so what are they meaning?

http://www.amazon.com/Stargate-Super-Nintendo/dp/B00002SU38

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by Goldknyght

What do they mean by first Launched title??? I played a star gate game for the Super Nintendo or Genisis when i was a kid and that launched so what are they meaning?

Oops, I have honestly never heard of that. My mistake.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    Originally posted by Stradden

Originally posted by Goldknyght

Oops, I have honestly never heard of that. My mistake.

OH hehe

• PuglaPugla Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by BlakeySGV

It really should be taken as a kind of responsibility for anyone that's a fan of mmos to avoid this game...do your homework on the company making it and the people in charge, and you'll see what I mean. If it ever makes it out, all the stuff surrounding it is going to really put a black mark on the entire genre, and the source IP for that matter.

/agree

I am actually saddened when I hear of CME making strides to keep the game going at this point. I'd much rather have CME lose the title to another company. Please note that I am not saying every CME employee is crooked. I'm just saying I'll never play the game if Gary Whiting somehow makes money from it.

Geeked for FFXIV
    Freelance FFXIV guide author for Ten Ton Hammer.com

• AuroretteAurorette Member Posts: 9

Funding issues are a killer for any computer game but even worse for MMORPGs.

Any mmorpgs worth playing has received lavish investment and development time. Any mmorpg with funding problems has been released incomplete with the vain and wrong hope it coud be patched up later. This permanently destroys its user base and therefore income potential and hence its future development budget.

Stargate may possibly be given enough cash to rush the game out of the door. But in this climate, the banks, dumb at the best of times and with no understanding of game development, will give them at best enough to get the game out incomplete. The result will almost certainly be a mess that will take 2 years to fix (if the company is lucky and makes it) and will have 1/10th the potential user base that it would have with a release made when they *want* to make it not when forced to.

By the time the game is worth playing people will have lost interest and instead be playing whatever has just come out at the time. If the Old Republic from Bioware is out by the time stargate is any good, it will be too late. No one will go back.

I also cant believe that the Stargate Studio guy is uninformed. If he had been uninformed he would have said so, not kept saying 'its a shame'.

This discussion has been closed.