Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World Debut Cinematic Trailer and Interview

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47571.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47696.html

This one looks cool but so did Conan, but hey maybe it will work out this time since its by a different team.

Comments

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

lol i liked the trailer, and it does look new and different, kinda reminds me of a cyber punk type setting. I'll wait and see how the release is before i right it off, unlike most of the posters on this site that will probably turn this thread into a funcom flame thread.

EDIT: saw the interview and all i gotta say is OMG. Skill based game, set in a "massive" world where you get to choose what you want to do, and explore whats out there? I like that director or producer guy as well, he knew what he was talking about and knew the direction and what kind of MMO they are shooting for. I gotta say, even though its FC developing the game, i will have this game very high on the hype meter.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

massively.com impressions from GDC09

The veil lifts on The Secret World

www.massively.com/2009/04/07/gdc09-the-veil-lifts-on-the-secret-world/

Eurogamer preview

www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-secret-world-preview

Character customisation is completely free, and allows players to explore paths such as dark magic, voodoo and witchcraft as well as martial arts, ancient weapons and modern firearms.

"If you want to be a character that has some magic power and ranged combat, you can use a shotgun and a voodoo doll and you can kick some serious ass using just your fists and your feet; you can do that.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

No levels, No classes!

Fully skill based.

Finally the developers start waking up and see we have become tired of being locked into linear class restrictive levelbased gameplay and looking for total freedom in a game.

If they get this right, then Funcom has something incredible at hand.

At least Gaute isn't around anymore to screw things up.

It's been under development for more then 3 years, so lets hope they finally learned their lesson with AoC's launch and launch this game when it's trully ready.

Both me and my gf have been waiting for this kind of game and are now in much anticipation how all this is going to unfold.

Cheers

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Looking foward to this one.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

It looks cool.. but so did age of conan. Ill have to wait for more information, especailly since the website say saying comming 2009, this game better be the reason why age of conan was a failure.

the game sounds great in theory, but is funcom the company to bring out a revolutionary MMo title... i dont know.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Will be interesting to see how it comes along, but not holding my breath after the lackluster launches of AO & AoC and the massive number of lies they dished out.

• bryan1980bryan1980 Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by bobfish

Will be interesting to see how it comes along, but not holding my breath after the lackluster launches of AO & AoC and the massive number of lies they dished out.

Basically this...  

Does anyone remember how awesome AOC sounded about 3 months before launch?

Funcom was so deceitful about AOC and AO at launch, they released horribly broken games, then for months afterwards pretended everything was great because they sold so many boxes to suckers.

Blizzard and Bioware, I would buy any game they make on release day because they have a history of always releasing polished and fun games.   Funcom has shown nothing but the opposite.. not only do they release terribly broken games, they continue to market those games as 'perfect' for months afterwards.

Definitely wait 30-60 days to buy this after launch.   AO and AOC should be a clue as to what is going to happen.

• SynEaterSynEater Member Posts: 63

Yeah it looks really nice and I have hopes for it BUT I will be damned if I preorder this from Funcom after the AOC crap release. Hopefully they are more capable now then just making pretty trailers

• ukiiukii Member Posts: 28

Really liked the videos, all the features sound nice, but im not getting my hopes up yet since AoC was an epic fail. At least this game has a completly different team than AoC. Funcom is Funcom they always fail you will say, but they might hit the jackpot with this one.

• MoLoK_MoLoK_ Member UncommonPosts: 307

So, when is Erling Ellingsen gonna start hyping this game?

I miss the big dude.

He always got me in a good mood. He was jovial like Göring.

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

This one definately makes my list of games to watch.

Too jaded to become a fanboi any longer.  :[

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• slythsslyths Member UncommonPosts: 208

Walter85

[10]

Posted 4-7-2009 11:01am

What a horrible person! First she just walks in probably uninvited then help herself to a milkshake without even sharing, I mean its obvious that he only wanted to have a taste :P. To top it all she attacks the poor fellow and vandalize his apartment! I can only hope he can escape and call the police before that crazy bitch hurt him.

LoL xD
  • NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Heh, that trailer looked like a cross between The Longest Journey and Constantine... Consider me much intrigued.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by SynEater

Yeah it looks really nice and I have hopes for it BUT I will be damned if I preorder this from Funcom after the AOC crap release. Hopefully they are more capable now then just making pretty trailers

heh....so 3 yrs of solid development or say he says and all they have to show at first is a CG trailer that any developer could make, and all these promises of....well just promises!  Just like Funcom always gives...just promises of all this and that but no solid actual gameplay and again "well I can't show you anything yet, but soon; later this year"  rofl

Already off to a very bad start...it not like showing what the game actually looks like will ruin it, and we all know what a modern style setting will look like and knowing Funcom it'll be pushing top end graphics instead of content.

Ah well...

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Khrymson

heh....so 3 yrs of solid development or say he says and all they have to show at first is a CG trailer that any developer could make, and all these promises of....well just promises!  Just like Funcom always gives...just promises of all this and that but no solid actual gameplay and again "well I can't show you anything yet, but soon; later this year"  rofl

Already off to a very bad start...it not like showing what the game actually looks like will ruin it, and we all know what a modern style setting will look like and knowing Funcom it'll be pushing top end graphics instead of content.

Ah well...

Maybe you should go back to school and learn what the words Marketing and Hype means.

Cheers

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

Any game from Ragnar Tornquist is worth following, in my opinion. I loved the Longest Journey games.

My regret is that this has already been delayed when Funcom "borrowed" the TSW team for a while to help get AoC launched. I wasn't aware until now it is going to be skill-based, which is a plus. I can count on Ragnar to have a good story, but the gameplay is the question, and so far it sounds different enough from standard MMOs.

Now, let's hope Funcom actually don't rush this one out.

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

Funcom if you ever read this...

Don't screw this one up !!!

I really like the looks of this MMO.  I played AO from the start and if you had not messed up the game with Shadowlands I would still be playing AO.

Also please no item shops.  Let up earn our way without having to compete with people who buy their way in games.

• bluedragonnnbluedragonnn Member Posts: 118

I have to say it, this game has me PUMPED, failcom messed up on AoC but they might just make a comeback on this one, im deffinatly going to give it a try when it comes out.

Originally posted by Turdinator:
    Wow. So many great points made in that post. You are a fine addition to the Athiest movement my good man. Keep up the good work and post as often as you like. It sounds like you have important/intelligent things to say.
  • bryan1980bryan1980 Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Khrymson

Ah well...

Yep, it reminds me of the AOC beta, when beta testers said " why can't we leave Tortage".. and the devs said... don't worry, the rest of the game is just as polished as Tortage.. trust us...

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

"I think that Conan had a pretty good launch and it's holding incredibly well."

, Ragnar Tørnquist, Funcom

When interviewed about "The Secret World"

How arrogant this is. I guess we can expect more lies, empty hype and deceit.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Draccan

He didnt lie, they did make a lot of profit at release (800k subs at release) and still are making a lot of money even after losing majority of the players from release.  So when it comes to business its not a lie.

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050
    Originally posted by tkreep

He didnt lie, they did make a lot of profit at release (800k subs at release) and still are making a lot of money even after losing majority of the players from release.  So when it comes to business its not a lie.

Agree

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

There was nothing wrong with the launch (well, a few minor hickups), it was the game its self that had issues, not the launch.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by tkreep

Yeah they did....they only let OB players test and dish about info on Tortage which was done very well, and nobody knew about the awful crap post lvl 20.  The CB testers tried for months, myself included too leak info about what the game was really like, but for some reason everyone always thinks there is this miracle patch that will fix everything every time a new MMO nears release.

So yeah everyone rushed out to get in on it, thinking how great the entire world would be like Tortage, but once they got out of there and saw the truth...  So Funcom decieved everyone to give them money for the box which was also a lie and to this day they still claim how great their launch was and how well off AoC is doing and how much better its getting.  All I see are most servers beings merged, players leaving in droves, finacially Funcom is falling very fast, but there are still a few paid fanbois or players that just don't get it and think its all the shit just cause its very slowly getting a bit better.

...and seriously why are they worried so much about getting DX10 done when most of their remaining fanbase can barely play it on DX9, and itemization is still raw as ever, and pathetic.  That should come first...not trying to make the game even prettier which was a major percentage of their downfall too.

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

I've got some great mountain cabins to sell some of you guys in south Florida. 

Holy %$&^#&, a CG trailer for a MMO.  I'm sold=)  I've always liked Funcom's artists, but they can't make a MMO worth a damn.  Apparently there will be another line of suckers.  But in all seriousness, if FC doesnt' allow a full open beta for a few weeks before release, you'd be a MORON to buy the game.  Hell, if theres an NDA up at all a month before release, you can be sure the game sucks big time.

The only true sign of a solid MMO is a mostly unrestricted open beta and an NDA drop weeks before release.  Anything else means they're hiding something and if they're hiding something its SUPPOSED to be hidden which is never good.  if the game is solid, theres nothing to hide.  Fun games only get good word of mouth.