Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Warhammer 40K for 2012?

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Gamespot is reporting that THQ, the well known game publisher, is planning to release the much-talked about Warhammer 40K MMO in 2012.

This information, it would seem, was gleaned from a single slide during an investor's presentation in February where they listed expected fiscal 2012 releases (fiscal year runs from April 2011 to march 2012).

The Warhammer 40K MMO is being developed by a cmpany called Vigil Games. The only game listed for the company on their website is an upcoming RPG called Darksiders. In their description of Warhammer 40K, all they say is:

"Warhammer 40,000 is one of the most eagerly anticipated MMOs on the horizon. As long time fans of Warhammer 40,000, we're pulling out all the stops to deliver a game that will plunge players deep into this incredibly rich universe.

We’ll be announcing more about the game in the months to come, so stay tuned."

Knowing the high standards for their franchise and the diligence with which games Workshop has protected the IP with Mythic's Warhammer Online, it will be interesting to see how Vigil handles the game.

Read the original source article

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• KainisKainis Member Posts: 436

Article with actual slide can be found in my earlier announcment on the same topic.

-----------------------
    Tried- L2, Ryzom, WAR, DDO, PWI, Tab Rasa, Requiem, Champs, AA, JD, PWI, SUN, Dawntide

Played- SWG (pre-cu), AoC, VG, WoW, LoTRO,CoX, EQ2, DAOC, GW, PotBS, Aion, MO,APB, NASA, Fallen Earth, DCUO, Rift

Playing- EVE, Black Prophecy, TOR

Waiting for- Tera, Jumpgate Evo, WH40K, WWE, WOD, TSW
    --
    --
    "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."

• LivettLivett Member Posts: 126

Oh good lord.

I can't start to get excited about this game as it will be a long time before I even get to try it.

• KainisKainis Member Posts: 436

Well, on a side note, the slide also shows tentative release dates for both Company of Heroes online, as well as WWE online. I am sure quite a few of our members wouldn't mind bringing their "diva" attitude into a wrestling mmo.

-----------------------
    Tried- L2, Ryzom, WAR, DDO, PWI, Tab Rasa, Requiem, Champs, AA, JD, PWI, SUN, Dawntide

Played- SWG (pre-cu), AoC, VG, WoW, LoTRO,CoX, EQ2, DAOC, GW, PotBS, Aion, MO,APB, NASA, Fallen Earth, DCUO, Rift

Playing- EVE, Black Prophecy, TOR

Waiting for- Tera, Jumpgate Evo, WH40K, WWE, WOD, TSW
    --
    --
    "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061

Woah, exciting news! Just like with WAR, my affection for the IP will be enough to at least initally buy the boxed version of the game.

• IvaxIvax Member Posts: 18

oh my.. 

• DyrttDyrtt Member Posts: 422

Well, if it releases in March, 2012, that will leave 9 months to play until the end of the world in late December.  I should be able to hit the level cap by then.

• ajikanajikan Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Dyrtt

Well, if it releases in March, 2012, that will leave 9 months to play until the end of the world in late December.  I should be able to hit the level cap by then.

I was thinking the same thing. lets hope it doesent get delayed

• tRenstRens Member UncommonPosts: 2

I hope that the art style is not geared towards children, and they have people that know what they're doing.  

I hope money doesn't become an issue!

• sevionsevion Member UncommonPosts: 1

Thats all we need is another warhammer flop.  Hope this is a late and poor April Fools joke.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    Originally posted by sevion

Thats all we need is another warhammer flop.  Hope this is a late and poor April Fools joke.

have you been living under rock? , it most likely will flop.. as one of first announcements that was made.. that warhammer will beat wow, thats why they are releasing that late.. wow wont be king anymore and we got plenty of time blablabla

im not saying thats exactly bad thing.. but thats bad way to look at why you are creating mmo ..

• GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567

considering THQ is heralding the 40k MMO I'm sure they'll bring their flair to the whole thing making it look better.

Now if they put in Active Combat and use the Unreal 3 or Crysis 3 Engines WHOA that'd be beautiful game, oh and much like Warhammer is it'd have to PvP Active to stick to the lores.

• DrogithDrogith Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 3

A lot of the success of game weighs on if it fits it's genre and how well it it involves the people playing it. For instance if, when this game comes out, they have it as a large PvP game, then they need to make sure that the end game content is also PvP and not PvE. They also need to make sure that there is Player Character recognition for all of the races. This includes the skeletal Necrons to the stealthy Dark Eldar as well as the long rang Tau to the hive minded Tyranids. If they concentrate more on a storyline perspective, events/quests that players do must have an adverse affect on the verse you are playing in. If your a Marine that finished a diplomatic mission to the Eldar, you should be able to go into their encampments where as those that didn't would get shot down. Of course this is all stuff that THQ would have to deal with in the future, but any game that comes out now HAS to have that sort of depth to it.

• Bruticus_XIBruticus_XI Member Posts: 827
    Originally posted by ajikan

Originally posted by Dyrtt

I was thinking the same thing. lets hope it doesent get delayed

I knew it was only a matter of time before the loonies mentioned December, 2012. I didn't think it'd be on the first page though.

Warhammer 40K is a good IP, but I think by then WAR will be a much improved game and unless WH40K offers something really different, people will only play it for the lore.

Will be funny to see some retards calling WAR40K a WAR clone though, lol.

• Dynamo112Dynamo112 Member Posts: 240

Mmmm...not a good idea to roll this out around the time Guild Wars 2 comes out. I think any MMO developer releasing their game around GW2 will be asking for game suicide.

Idk, but one thing is for certain. End of 2010 will be the next big wave of big name MMOs . Only two more years to go people so I suggest you all find something decent to play untill then.

• MaxxaureateMaxxaureate Member UncommonPosts: 46

And all of them will fail cause they can't be bothered to do it right.

• TormDKTormDK Member UncommonPosts: 101

I'm looking forward to this title.

I just hope they are able to not cater for the masses, and I wonder how they will do the whole squad / army theme of Warhammer 40K.

If it's Warhammer - Online in space then I think it's not going to do alot for me.

• csf1701csf1701 Member Posts: 4

I for one am psyched, I really enjoy the books and the lore around the WH40k universe. I am not realy thrilled with the whole fantasy ruled MMOs right now. I know there are scifi options, but this is huge. I will cross my fingers that it is done right. Hey didn't THQ publish Freespace and FS2? THat could mean good things for WH40k!

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

Can't wait to play necrons and people think I'm dead, but only to stand back up and fight after my wbb roll.

• Rattrap227Rattrap227 Member Posts: 1

Bring on the Tyranids!

Don't leave them out as has happened with all the other warhammer 40K pc games!!!!!

• SuperHansSuperHans Member Posts: 87

Oh, man. W40k MMO is what I've always(past several years) wanted. I don't think I'll be able to wait this long. 

I'm just cool like that.

lol Oh ye ppl of little faith

I'm sure WH40k will be Active Combat and kind of like an MMOFPS/RPG *points at the new breed flooding down the causeway*

You'll have an established theme and HOPEFULLY since THQ knows their stuff will get with GW and push the lore throughout the game and not completely Screw it up. *points at WAR*

As for Squad/Army combat

Duh...You = Soldier/Warrior/Grunt

Group = Squad

Guild = Army

Ya feel me?

• WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

I'll buy the CE if they make Dark Eldar Haemonculi playable. Back in the day I took out an entire unit of 13th company Space Wolves with one. Think you're so tough superman with two hearts who is mutating due to warp exposure?? Not after I roll for your toughness and ignore armor saving throws byatch.

• DyrttDyrtt Member Posts: 422
    Originally posted by Wycliffe

I'll buy the CE if they make Dark Eldar Haemonculi playable. Back in the day I took out an entire unit of 13th company Space Wolves with one. Think you're so tough superman with two hearts who is mutating due to warp exposure?? Not after I roll for your toughness and ignore armor saving throws byatch.

Dude, your nerd is showing.  Don't worry, it happens to the best of us.

• mutatormutator Member Posts: 131

i cant wait for this game... i read all the books i could find about warhammer 40 k:) i play the games once a while:) and i also got the warhammer figure thingie boardgame:P but noone wants to play that:( i hope it will be like i have imagined a warhammer 40 k online will be... mmofps and rpg:) hopefully they will add spaceship combat and guild spaceships and stuff like that:D but that may be going to far:( so the thing i hope the most for is NO LVL SYSTEM because with lvl system it will be just like... hate to say the curse, WOW! where people just bash eachother endlessly with a few different attacks so it wont be too booring... and that you have to play a life time just to be able to fight players fairly! ofcourse skillsystem is ok... but they should just be to give you a edge... what should really count is how good you think aim and ofcourse how good armor/weapon you have:D (ofcourse these can be looted:P) but they wont do mutch good unless you can actually use it:) and your inventory is not big enough to carry a spaceship just because it takes "1" slot... but if atleast they manage to add 1/3 of this i am happy:) noone can do miracles like adding all these:P

actually you'll probably start as the base unit of the Race instead of the more ADVANCED units as seen in the RTS titles by THQ

But you can probably specialize Haemonculi later or for the Imperial Folks Karskin