Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World to be Unveiled Tomorrow

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

If you're unaware of Funcom's newest project, The Secret World, it's about time you knew that the secret is about to be unveiled. Forget the stigma associated with Funcom and Age of Conan, and consider the fact that The Secret World comes to us from Ragnar Tørnquist, the man behind The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. The unraveling of clues that lead up to this game's reveal is impressive, but not as impressive as the fact that The Secret World's community is comprised of some of the most intelligent gamers you'll find this side of EVE. We have games that are hardcore for strategists, games that are hardcore for economists, games that are hardcore for the combat-savvy, but with The Secret World, we will finally get an MMO that was made for the hardcore conspiracy theorists, history buffs and puzzle solvers out there.

Case in point, a recent teaser video was released showing certain decipherable codes that led to a new Alternate Reality Game website called Sanctuary of Secrets. Leave it up to the TSW community to crack the codes and discover the hidden secrets. Of course Funcom has not officially commented on their involvement with this site, but it goes to show the passion brewing in the people anticipating this game. Ever since our demo at GDC last month, we've been itching to let our readers know what's in store. Tomorrow the embargo will lift and everything we know will be revealed, so stay tuned!

Source: www.massively.com

Comments

• wartywarty Member Posts: 461

I want to be excited, I really do. It sounds like it could be a genuinely 'new' mmo experiance. But I just cant bring myself to touch anything related to that shitty lieing company.

Playing polished, lag free, feature complete games is carebear. Whining about a game you hate but still play is hardcore man!

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

very interested in this game, hopefully funcom will learn from AOC a bit.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Yeah I am hoping this one turns out alot better.

• bryan1980bryan1980 Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Ravanos

People were saying the same thing when AOC was about to be released  " hopefully funcom will learn from AO a bit".    The truth is, Funcom did much worse with AOC then they did with AO and obviously learned nothing.

Funcom is the single worst MMORPG maker in the world.  They are the only company that has had two completely disasterious game launches.  It took AO years before it was a fun game.  AOC is still undergoing major changes to try and make it playable... a year after launch, they still don't have itemization in the game (stats on equipment don't work right)

Things you should learn from the AOC launch

1. Don't trust the pre-launch marketing from Funcom (including forum shills)

2. Don't trust a limited beta

3. Don't buy the game until after 60 days - leveling will be fast enough that you can quickly catch up if the game is good.

4.  Don't expect Funcom to admit or fix any issues for at least 3 months - As bad as AOC flopped the first month, the devs were still talking about how great the launch was for 3 months afterwards.

• vader999vader999 Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Originally posted by bryan1980

People were saying the same thing when AOC was about to be released  " hopefully funcom will learn from AO a bit".    The truth is, Funcom did much worse with AOC then they did with AO and obviously learned nothing.

Funcom is the single worst MMORPG maker in the world.  They are the only company that has had two completely disasterious game launches.  It took AO years before it was a fun game.  AOC is still undergoing major changes to try and make it playable... a year after launch, they still don't have itemization in the game (stats on equipment don't work right)

3. Don't buy the game until after 60 days - leveling will be fast enough that you can quickly catch up if the game is good.

4.  Don't expect Funcom to admit or fix any issues for at least 3 months - As bad as AOC flopped the first month, the devs were still talking about how great the launch was for 3 months afterwards.

5. A fresh batch of fanboys will try to convince you this is the best game ever made. Because the Devs said so, what possible reason could they have for lying?
  • AllNewMMOSukAllNewMMOSuk Member Posts: 241

My honest surprise is how people get all excited before every new game release (both MMO and non MMO alike). At this point in gaming people should realize that when you get all hyped up for a new game, it will never meet your expectations. Just sit back, don't read all the developer hype, and wait for release. Then either try it out on launch with no preset expectations, or wait a month for the player feedback.

I personally wait a month or two when it comes to MMOs, then a lot of the major game breaking bugs are fixed and there's been a lot of feedback. Then when I pick up the game I don't expect it to be amazing and change MMOs for all of time, and I don't expect it to be complete garbage. I find I enjoy game so much more this way and I don't turn into one of the, raging hate-mongers saying how this game could of changed the world but I hyped myself up so much that it didn't even come close to my expectations and now I'm angry at the world, posters.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Here is the LINK to the TEASER_VID enjoy.

AND more secrets reveled here.

• eight675309eight675309 Member Posts: 246

Funcom reminds me of that Churchill quote about America always doing the right thing. Funcom always seems to have a very rocky opening, but they also always seem to make a quality, innovative game. That can be nothing but good in the current stagnant MMORPG market. Also, they tend to have a habbit of having unbalanced items in the early parts of their game, and then let the players keep them but nerf it for later players. Think about those tanks that gave like 400 strength in AO and the Knight armor in AO, along with tons of similar stuff. So if you are the type that likes finding uberly broken skills/items, it's all good. Personally, I like trying to find overpowered stuff. I'm always looking to "break the game". 

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by vader999

5. A fresh batch of fanboys will try to convince you this is the best game ever made. Because the Devs said so, what possible reason could they have for lying?

Funcom obviously learned from AO's launch.  Anyone that says otherwise was not around for AO's launch.  It was abysmal; people could not play due to server issues not computer issues.  The game was playable for 20 minutes tops before the server crashed.

I did not like AoC (too restrictive for me) but it, by far, was no comparison to how bad AO’s launch was so just relax.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • eight675309eight675309 Member Posts: 246
    Originally posted by Locklain

Originally posted by vader999

Funcom obviously learned from AO's launch.  Anyone that says otherwise was not around for AO's launch.  It was abysmal; people could not play due to server issues not computer issues.  The game was playable for 20 minutes tops before the server crashed.

I did not like AoC (too restrictive for me) but it, by far, was no comparison to how bad AO’s launch was so just relax.

Aww, C'mon.

AO's launch was fine if you :

A. Never went into a shop in a major city.

B. Avoided major cities as much as possible.

Haha. Basically the beta testers who got through the low levels fast were golden, but the true newbies got crushed aimlessly wandering around the capital cities.

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

I was actually in AOs beta. (Saw the disk last time I cleaned my closet.)

Not that I got to test anything other than character creation.

You see, for a month (before I gave up), I was stuck in my apartment.

Nothing to do in an empty apartment.

Yes, that's right, I'd make a character, they'd start in their apartment automatically, and I couldn't exit, ever.

Well, there was one time I was able to get out of the apartment, and about 90 seconds later the server crashed.

When it came back up I was back in the apartment and couldn't get out again...

It was over a year after AO launched before I was willing to try it because of that mess.

I might not have been so negative about it, but I didn't recieve any acknoweledgement or feedback at all from the devs/moderators.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

The person responsible for 2 horrible launches parted Funcom last year.

Enough said.

• ForumfallForumfall Member Posts: 570

They are trying to pull of a funcom again.

If they drop the instancing crap that might be a start...

• kakarotragekakarotrage Member Posts: 280

Stop putting work into pointless advertising and PRing and create a fing normal game, DOESN'T ANYONE learn from Blizzard? make good games and stfu with the misleading photoshoped screenshots and info while you create it, THANKS!

World of Warcraft is a proof that MMORPG quality should affect schedule/budget and not the other way around.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

People will NEVER learn from their mistakes and certainly not on mmorpg.com.
    I have a better idea.
    I'll post my bank account next time and you can all send $15 each month to me.

I'll make a deal with you. Create a profound gaming experience like The Longest Journey and I will do that for a full year, no further service expected.

You see, Ragnar Tørnquist has that kind of credit with me. I may have lost all sympathy with Funcom as a company but this man has earned it, so he has at least one pre-order waiting right here. Not because of a hype for what is to come, but because of good old gratitude. Yes, I know it is a forgotten concept around here.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Funcom can unveil anything they want.  After being burned twice by them, most of us will never trust them again. 

The only way most of us would try it, is if it has been out for a while and the negative comments are minimal.

No matter what you say, they are still Funcom and they have yet to prove to any of us they can develop a fun game.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Strike Three Funcom your out, will not ever try another one of your hyped games and im sure you know im not along.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Funcom can unveil anything they want.  After being burned twice by them, most of us will never trust them again. 
    The only way most of us would try it, is if it has been out for a while and the negative comments are minimal.
    No matter what you say, they are still Funcom and they have yet to prove to any of us they can develop a fun game.

Just another SOE with horrible customer service that will never get a dime from me again regardless; no matter the hype or positive influence.

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529

what if it turns out to be an extremely fun game?

your wallets might be singing a different tune.

Let's face it...we all just want to have fun. You can talk at me all day about how much you hate Funcom and they are the most untrustworthy bastards on the face of the planet, but if they make a game that clicks with you, I bet you'd fork over the cash.

It's funny how people are so touchy about losing 50 or 75 dollars.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

Originally posted by Capn23

Let's face it...we all just want to have fun. You can talk at me all day about how much you hate Funcom and they are the most untrustworthy bastards on the face of the planet, but if they make a game that clicks with you, I bet you'd fork over the cash.

Capn23 its there Track record

MAGA
  • KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Its not entirely about losing that small amount of money on 1 game, but more about giving the money to a horrible company that doesn't deserve to be in business anymore because of their actions and horrible track record.  When people keep giving into this crap it keeps them funded too keep making more and more horrible games and continually ripping off the gaming community.

AoC for example...they sold how many copies...over 800k and less than 100k are still around in under less than 1 yr.  Thats over 40 million dollars they made just on box sales alone, not including those that stuck around for a 2nd month and longer.  Then they used those sales as a false point to claim how great their game was luring more unsuspecting players into forking over their money to them.

Its an endless scam that should be shut down....and I won't participate in it.

Originally posted by Elsabolts

I don't know...I'm just not really one to hold grudges I suppose. Don't get your hopes up, but if it turns out to be fun, why not get it? Or would it be breaking your MMORPG moral code?

lol...

but if we are going to talk about track records...then you must mention the fact that both their games have managed to come back from terrible launches and become decent games. AoC gets better and better with each patch. I know you absolutely refuse to admit that AoC is anything more than a pile of shit barfed up from the stomach of a fat Pict, but it HAS become a better game. The average player doesn't analyze every misgiving a game has. They notice the big ones...and so far the only big one left is itemization and that's about to be addressed.

so anyway...my point is that Funcom's record is to make a come back.

Originally posted by Khrymson

Its not entirely about losing that small amount of money on 1 game, but more about giving the money to a horrible company that doesn't deserve to be in business anymore because of their actions and horrible track record.  When people keep giving into this crap it keeps them funded too keep making more and more horrible games and continually ripping off the gaming community.

AoC for example...they sold how many copies...over 800k and less than 100k are still around in under less than 1 yr.  Thats over 40 million dollars they made just on box sales alone, not including those that stuck around for a 2nd month and longer.  Then they used those sales as a false point to claim how great their game was luring more unsuspecting players into forking over their money to them.

Its an endless scam that should be shut down....and I won't participate in it.

if everyone got what they deserved, we'd all be dead right now.

but anywho...I will continue to pay for a game that I enjoy while you can certainly move on and find one that suits your taste.

Originally posted by Elsabolts

I don't know...I'm just not really one to hold grudges I suppose. Don't get your hopes up, but if it turns out to be fun, why not get it? Or would it be breaking your MMORPG moral code?

lol...

but if we are going to talk about track records...then you must mention the fact that both their games have managed to come back from terrible launches and become decent games. AoC gets better and better with each patch. I know you absolutely refuse to admit that AoC is anything more than a pile of shit barfed up from the stomach of a fat Pict, but it HAS become a better game. The average player doesn't analyze every misgiving a game has. They notice the big ones...and so far the only big one left is itemization and that's about to be addressed.

so anyway...my point is that Funcom's record is to make a come back.

The only thing Funcom wants is your money the easer the better.

MAGA