Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for something new, different, unique.

bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007

I'm tired of the same old recycled crap, repackaged and sold as a "new" game. I'm looking for something that breaks the mold, or at least offers something different.

Games that I've enjoyed: Auto Assault (Underexplored genre, fast-paced, sadly it went tits-up), Wizard 101 (a bit kiddie, but I like the super-casual style and card-based combat mechanic), City of Heroes (has some of the basic class roles, but presents them in a new way. Fast paced, not a gear grind).

Games I've had enough of: WoW (Undisputed King of the Same Old Crap), EQ2 (Elves and Dwarves and Tanks and Healers, all over again), WAR (Nice PvP, but ultimately the same old formula)

I don't mind fantasy settings, so long as the game doesn't fall into the same tired formula, and I don't automatically go for non-fantasy settings since many of them are just reskinned EQ clones. I'm looking for some fresh ideas, new mechanics, or innovative systems. I prefer a standard subscription-based payment system, but I could get into a F2P cash shop game if it was good enough.

What games actually offer something new for a change?

Comments

• stillwatersstillwaters Member UncommonPosts: 13

754 posts and you need help coming up with a game are you kidding. You should know better. 

Are you trying to stir the pot today?

• bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007
    Originally posted by stillwaters

754 posts and you need help coming up with a game are you kidding. You should know better. 

I'm asking for suggestions for a game. If you don't have any, kindly fuck off.

• voltinvoltin Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by bonobotheory

Originally posted by stillwaters

I'm asking for suggestions for a game. If you don't have any, kindly fuck off.

indeed.

• Dynamo112Dynamo112 Member Posts: 240

Let me know if you find anything decent, ive been looking for two years now.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Me too... I'm tired of the same level to end-game grind. I've been trying a few of the free trials recently (EQ2, VG, AoC) hoping for something new (or changed since I originally played it) but it's still the same type of game with different names. I have a small amount of hope for Fallen Earth and Earthrise but I have a feeling that 2009 will be the same as 2008, full of games that didn't match their hype.

• penpen135penpen135 Member UncommonPosts: 3

You could try Age of Conan or Chronicles of Spellborn. These two arent the usual point and click MMOs. I tried AoC, I liked it, but my trial ended and Im saving up for Aion.

A free game you could try is Atlantica Online. Its more of a tactical rpg rather than an actual mmo. But i think atlantica's pvp is fun even though its tendious to get to the proper level to get the "good" mercenaries.

• A.DantesA.Dantes Member Posts: 148

At some point I'm sure someone will mention both EVE and Darkfall, although I've yet to play either.

Granado Espada offers combat unlike any other MMO .  The primary difference is that you always control a team of three characters and the enemies are substantially more numerous than would be tradtional.  Combined with a unqiue setting and artstyle (for an MMO anyways), it is at least different although not quite to my tates.

My favorite would definately be Mabinogi, hands down.  While it does have standard fantasy elements like elves, giants, and kobolds, it has an entirely different combat system from any other MMO.  There are no classes and no one fills a tank or a healer role.  Instead you have to rely on personal skill to avoid getting hit at all.  No matter how high your HP or defense, there will always be creatures in the game capable killing you in a single blow if they can hit.

• BluefishBluefish Member UncommonPosts: 96

Ha, nice response to the troll.

The game that I've enjoyed most over the last year or two, after also really being in need of something different, is Pirates of the Burning Sea. I'm not hugely into PvP (and POTBS is largely billed as a PvP game), but I love the PvE in this game, and enjoy the excitement of playing in a semi-open PvP environment.

Ship combat is very elegantly implemented, avatar combat less so, but it is something the developers have been working on.

Some of the quest chains are quite interesting, and the instanced combat is something you'll either love or hate, personally I love it.

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Originally posted by bonobotheory

I'm tired of the same old recycled crap, repackaged and sold as a "new" game. I'm looking for something that breaks the mold, or at least offers something different.
    Games that I've enjoyed: Auto Assault (Underexplored genre, fast-paced, sadly it went tits-up), Wizard 101 (a bit kiddie, but I like the super-casual style and card-based combat mechanic), City of Heroes (has some of the basic class roles, but presents them in a new way. Fast paced, not a gear grind).
    Games I've had enough of: WoW (Undisputed King of the Same Old Crap), EQ2 (Elves and Dwarves and Tanks and Healers, all over again), WAR (Nice PvP, but ultimately the same old formula)
    I don't mind fantasy settings, so long as the game doesn't fall into the same tired formula, and I don't automatically go for non-fantasy settings since many of them are just reskinned EQ clones. I'm looking for some fresh ideas, new mechanics, or innovative systems. I prefer a standard subscription-based payment system, but I could get into a F2P cash shop game if it was good enough.
    What games actually offer something new for a change?

If you have not tried it give Saga of Ryzom a shot. It definetly breaks the mold and offers something different.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

Here's a few that you might find interesting:

Pirates of the Burning Sea - class/level design but interesting sea combat game

EVE Online - space-themed virtual world with tactical combat and an amazing market/industrial aspect to the game

Atlantica Online - puts thinking and planning back into MMO combat in fantasy settings, but a bit grindy

Taikodom - kind of like an Earth and Beyond / EVE Online hybrid

Gods and Idols - 4X Space-themed MMO in development. Easy to learn, small and friendly community.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    Originally posted by LynxJSA

Here's a few that you might find interesting:
    Pirates of the Burning Sea - class/level design but interesting sea combat game
    EVE Online - space-themed virtual world with tactical combat and an amazing market/industrial aspect to the game
    Atlantica Online - puts thinking and planning back into MMO combat in fantasy settings, but a bit grindy
    Taikodom - kind of like an Earht and beyond / EVE Online hybrid
    Gods and Idols - 4X Space-themed MMO in development. Easy to learn, small and friendly community.

Wow...a couple I haven't even heard of....nice.

• babyshakerbabyshaker Member Posts: 13

You can try worldofbattles.com (World of Battles). It's a kinda fantasy/strategy mmo where you command your units into battle. Easy to learn. I'm sure some of the snobby mmo players would say that it sucks, but since I can't find many mmo's that I can get hooked on, this will do the trick for a few weeks. Not many players because it's in beta, but if you join and you tell your friends to join, etc., we will have more players to fight with.

• URNotMegaURNotMega Member CommonPosts: 115

Atlantica Online.  Completely different combat than any other MMO you've played.

• rlaxogurrlaxogur Member Posts: 3

Check out Lunia. Action Arcade Rpg. Episode/Stages with skill and combo use, equipments. Pvp. 2.5D? Anime/Fantasy Theme

• rlaxogurrlaxogur Member Posts: 3

Forgot 1 more, Not out for English yet, but Valkyrie Sky, Raiden-Like, but rpg with classes and skills, equips Fantasy/Anime Themed.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

If you want really, really different, try A Tale in the Desert.  Then you'll probably say, whoa, I didn't mean that different.  For example, there is no combat.  There are, however, the most vicious scandals you'll find in online games, rather than the pathetic "some people in a guild had a fight and the guild broke up" that passes for scandals in other games.  And there is a crafting system so deep that you could break it into a dozen disjoint parts, each of which would probably be deeper than what you'd think of as a pretty good crafting system in some other game.

Puzzle Pirates is also far off the beaten path.  Everything is almost purely skill-based--and that's player skill, not character skill.  The crafting system built around hiring other players to work in your stall (passively using labor) is pretty unique.  Combat based around puzzle games is also quite unusual.

Guild Wars is closer to a conventional MMORPG, but does a lot of little things differently.  Mob AI is much smarter than in most games, as they don't use an aggro system.  You get to the level cap with essentially perfect gear very quickly, and then most of the content is still ahead of you.  You can warp instantly to any town or outpost you've ever been to whenever you want (e.g., in the middle of combat), as often as you want (If you want to do so once per ten seconds for the next hour, you can.), so you don't waste a lot of time running back and forth.  There are no canonical archetypes, nor hybrid classes, but every class has its own unique uses.  You can (but don't have to) bring henchmen or heroes (AI party members), so that you don't have to spam for players all day to fill up your group.  There are over 1300 skills in the game, but you can only have 8 on your skillbar at a time--but can respec completely free, as often as you like in any town or outpost.  The game isn't split into separate servers, but anyone who has an account can group with anyone else--even if they bought different language versions of the game on different continents.

• bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007

Thanks for all the suggestions. A Tale in the Desert is a little more different than I was looking for, but it still might be worth a try. I gave Puzzle Pirates a shot, and it's got a lot of what I'm looking for, but also a lot of annoyances (I get booted out of my puzzle games because the Captain says to "take a break," or because we've reached our destination. If I can find how to stop that, or stick to puzzles that don't do that, I might play it some more. I've also downloaded Atlantica, and I'm giving that a try - the tactical combat is definitely the sort of thing I'm looking for (and since it's a cash shop game, I don't have to make any commitment to it).

I've tried Eve in the past, and the learning curve was too much for my tastes. As much as I want something different, I still want some familiar elements. I gave up somewhere in the "how to make your ship move forward" tutorial because I just wanted to use the W key again. I've played Ryzom too, and while it was fun at first, it seemed to take ages to get anything accomplished. But it does so much right that I really want to like it and may end up giving it another shot. I've played Guild Wars, and I still have it installed on my computer, but I lost interest in it a long time ago (before any expansions came out, so it might be worth another go).

Looking good, but still have to try are Pirates of the Burning Sea and Mabinogi. PotBS's ship-to-ship combat might be more fun than hacking at monsters with the same four skill buttons. Mabinogi looks like it has a lot of things to do that don't involve killing things and taking their things so I can use their things to kill other things and take their things too.

So thanks again for all the suggestions (but if anyone has more ideas, don't let me stop you).  I've found a few things to keep me occupied, and I still have more to check out.

• merruamerrua Member Posts: 12

I probally would have suggested wizard 101 which you tried.

RoM has a duel class system with is kind of interesting, it also has a interesting crafting system.

Perfect world has pretty interesting races and the crafting is nice. might be both too grindy though

Imagine maybe?

http://megaten.aeriagames.com/

Its a different sort of world and I'm enjoying the plot. I'm not quite sure how to explain what it does. Its like their console games if you know them. Its a dark world but not a horrible one.

• GrumiumGrumium Member UncommonPosts: 57

I would say try Planetside. It's not fantasy and also kind of different then most of  the other mmo's here.

• ben1314ben1314 Member Posts: 14

i have no idea

i cant decide