Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AV's One Shot... one shot? They already had it

KatrarKatrar Member Posts: 168

I find it interesting that quite a few people continue to insist that the fact an MMO only gets "one shot" out the door (which is true) is actually justification for this access limited and hugely botched release.

Their argument is that AV's "one shot" has not come yet, and that it will actually happen when they figure out whatever they have yet to figure out and the tap is opened for wide availability.

I have unfortunate news for those of you that are still dreaming of that yet to be "one shot". It already happened, fanboys. The one shot happened, and there's no going back.

Sorry.

Comments

• prowprow Member Posts: 188
    Originally posted by Katrar

I find it interesting that quite a few people continue to insist that the fact an MMO only gets "one shot" out the door (which is true) is actually justification for this access limited and hugely botched release.
    Their argument is that AV's "one shot" has not come yet, and that it will actually happen when they figure out whatever they have yet to figure out and the tap is opened for wide availability.
    I have unfortunate news for those of you that are still dreaming of that yet to be "one shot". It already happened, fanboys. The one shot happened, and there's no going back.
    Sorry.

/agree again...

I am one of those guys that was very unlucky to start playing AOC when it was released... Found out that Funcom's customer support was terrible and everything they told us and kept telling us were complete lies...

That will not happen again and after playing DF 2 days... After a week of not being able to log into my character due to the 8 hour queues, I canceled my account...  I just will not deal with a company that treats their customers like crap... check out my darkfall drama thread  - www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/231135/Darkfall-drama-for-my-babys-mama.html

and thats just ONE example of their customer support...

Anyway... their ONE SHOT has already passed... it pasted while I was waiting 8 hours in queues :)

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

If they had not "released" the game, but had instead gone forward with a pre-release Beta which people could have scaled payments for (and thus given them much needed revenue) then they'd still be able to make the "one shot" argument.

The game is clearly a paid Beta, so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't decide to doublespeak their way into a new "release" and thus give themselves another "shot."

I know there are plenty of you partisans that will love this game until its dying day, but that company is fleecing you guys.

• KatrarKatrar Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by ianubisi

If they had not "released" the game, but had instead gone forward with a pre-release Beta which people could have scaled payments for (and thus given them much needed revenue) then they'd still be able to make the "one shot" argument.
    The game is clearly a paid Beta, so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't decide to doublespeak their way into a new "release" and thus give themselves another "shot."
    I know there are plenty of you partisans that will love this game until its dying day, but that company is fleecing you guys.

I completely agree. If they had been honest about their need for both revenue and an extended beta period I think they would have had people lining up outside the door AND general goodwill from the gaming community. But they didn't, they lied. And yes, I also agree with your prediction that they will attempt to spin a re-release at some point.

• _Shadowmage_Shadowmage Member Posts: 1,459

I completely agree. If they had been honest about their need for both revenue and an extended beta period I think they would have had people lining up outside the door AND general goodwill from the gaming community.

That worked so well for Vanguard /sarcasm So I can see why no-one would do it again.
  • KatrarKatrar Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by _Shadowmage

I completely agree. If they had been honest about their need for both revenue and an extended beta period I think they would have had people lining up outside the door AND general goodwill from the gaming community.

That worked so well for Vanguard /sarcasm So I can see why no-one would do it again.

Well, Tacos & Co seem pretty unphased by that little thing the rest of us like to call reality, so... I wouldn't put it past him. lol

• yukumoyukumo Member Posts: 86

Sorry.

Thank you,

first of all i totally agree..darkfall needs to die now! After 10 years if you dont have a game then it needs to be scrapped

2nd of all. WoW needs to die :D

• NakedFuryNakedFury Member UncommonPosts: 411

the last poster threw the completely random sucky joke that kills the conversation.

First Impression. That is what you call it. This game had it horrible. Its like meeting a new girl, DF just did all the wrong things when it met us gamers, there is no u-turn now. They have to keep going the scam road until the true fork of the road appears, until then it blows.

• Jerid13Jerid13 Member Posts: 465

Sorry.

I feel like what your saying has been said many times before on other threads and is sorta obvious to most people, the only people your suprising with this knowledge is those who havn't heard DF is "released" or those who are insanely dedicated.

So yeah... it failed its "opening one shot" 

whatever that is...

I mean cus games can't get better once they are made right?

cus FFXI and WoW and EQ2 don't have increaseing player bases...

I agree the game failed its launch, but almost all MMO's have rocky starts

• Joker2240Joker2240 Member Posts: 664

See that is where it gets me.. Sooo many companies have had horrible releases. Shouldn't every time a company have a horrible launch shouldn't other companies learn and do better? It seems like all the companies are like "ohh they will buy whatever we push out, so it does not matter how finished we are."

WE as gamers are sending out that message to the companies. WE the gamers are paying for this crap.. Basically beta games. For once I would like to pay for a game that is actually complete.

Lets put it this way.. A building company is constructing a building and did not finish it. You think that the client that paid for it would be happy? You think that they would open that building? Heck no!

This is why I am not going to pay to play DF.. I am not going to dish out my hard earned cash for something that is not complete and is having troubles. Also because there is SOO much drama over this game. The fanbois are annoying, the community is immature as crap, and it is just annoying.

• IzureIzure Member Posts: 518
    Originally posted by Joker2240

See that is where it gets me.. Sooo many companies have had horrible releases. Shouldn't every time a company have a horrible launch shouldn't other companies learn and do better? It seems like all the companies are like "ohh they will buy whatever we push out, so it does not matter how finished we are."

WE as gamers are sending out that message to the companies. WE the gamers are paying for this crap.. Basically beta games. For once I would like to pay for a game that is actually complete.
    Lets put it this way.. A building company is constructing a building and did not finish it. You think that the client that paid for it would be happy? You think that they would open that building? Heck no!

This is why I am not going to pay to play DF.. I am not going to dish out my hard earned cash for something that is not complete and is having troubles. Also because there is SOO much drama over this game. The fanbois are annoying, the community is immature as crap, and it is just annoying.

All Mmorpg are never complete and are without troubles, Dfo maybe have more in both categorys but is fun in my view and is the only type of game out there that fits my style, some like it, some dont, we all hate there support but they seem to be getting better in game. And the community in game are nice, and I play alfar, sure they may gank you but most of them are nice about it.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Jerid13

Sorry.

I feel like what your saying has been said many times before on other threads and is sorta obvious to most people, the only people your suprising with this knowledge is those who havn't heard DF is "released" or those who are insanely dedicated.

So yeah... it failed its "opening one shot" 

whatever that is...

I mean cus games can't get better once they are made right?

cus FFXI and WoW and EQ2 don't have increaseing player bases...

I agree the game failed its launch, but almost all MMO's have rocky starts

Actually, FFXI started out with more players than it has now. It settled off at ~500k and has kept it there for several years running. By any measure, it's been a successful launch, followed by a succesful run which continues to this day. Not even sure why you would use FFXI in the same sentence as DF. 

Second, the whole "almost all MMO's have rocky starts" comment is disingenuous, because - like others who've used it in a similar manner - you ignore "degree".

EQ2's launch was not that great, mostly because many at the time could hardly even run the game due to its lofty system requirments. However, the game was playable, quests worked, the game worked, there was plenty of content. You could buy the game, register the game, log in, create characters, do quests, etc. etc. I was in EQ2 from launch day, so I remember it well.

FFXI... again... I'm sure there were issues during its original launch, and that SE quite capably took care of them. I knw people were able to log in, create characters, play the game. I know there was content to be played. I know by the time it made it to the US launch, the game was solid.

DF's development was a mess. Its release was a mess. Its billing is a mess. Players can't get accounts. Those who do can't get into game. People are being charged multiple times. PvE content Tasos gloated about long before launch never made it in (which fans are now claiming is because it wasn't intended... classic fanboy behavior; "when the facts don't fall in your favor... ignore them"). In short, by any objective measure - fanboy spin notwithstanding - DF is a rolling trainwreck; especially compared to EQ2 and FFXI.

So, again, while most MMOs do indeed hit some speed-bumps at launch, simply saying that isn't enough because some launches, like DF's, go far beyond mere "speed-bumps".

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops