Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: New Screenshots

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

Today we continue our look at Star Wars: The Old Republic with nine new images which have been added to our screenshot gallery.

Screenshot

See more Star Wars: The Old Republic screenshots.

Comments

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

I think I've realized that my biggest gripe with the way this looks so far is the textures. That is the major factor that makes it look so cartoony and not Star Wars. The models really aren't that bad(besides everyone's clothing being extremely tight and wrinkleless). I think if they redid the textures to make them look more realistic it would go a long way to making this game look better. Until then, still think the game looks like crap.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• Reno0513Reno0513 Member Posts: 47

Eh, I'm not as turned off by the textures. Could be better, but still looks alright. I love the flying leap with the lightsaber. Makes me want to see what the combat will actually look like. I'm still hopeful and waiting to see more.

Thanks for the screenshots.

Reno

• puskajussipuskajussi Member Posts: 5

Well imo the jedi looks kinda bad and plastic but the surroundigs look pretty good.

graphics dont make make the game :)

http://www.globalagendagame.com/
    Check it out! this will be a good game:)

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

I am sick and tired of the constant barrage of cinematic screens (from all developers). You want to get me excited then show me a in-game screens with UI, Hud, etc.. in action....

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654
    Originally posted by sonicbrew

I am sick and tired of the constant barrage of cinematic screens (from all developers). You want to get me excited then show me a in-game screens with UI, Hud, etc.. in action....

As any developer will tell you, the UI is the last thing they want to show in screenshots because it's the first thing people tear apart... plus, it's a feature that is constantly changing depending on player feedback during the alpha and beta stages.

As for the screenshots themselves, I agree where I'm a little... distanced due to the style they've chosen for the character designs, but I think it's one of those things that once you start playing with it yourself, it won't bother you as much. At least, that's what I hope.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

SWTOR isn't even in alpha yet. These screenshots look excellent for a game where nothing is polished yet.

• ShijukiShijuki Member UncommonPosts: 318

From earlier interviews they have said they wanted to compete with WoW and in order to do that, they have to make sure most people can run the game hence why it has a cartoony feel to it's graphics. What is the point of having a KOTOR looking mmorpg when most people probably won't be able to run the game properly?

• MarkItZeroMarkItZero Member Posts: 9

Personally, I like the character textures shown in the SW:TOR screenshots. They seem to be a very decent compromise between cartoony (WoW) and realistic (AoC), quite akin to LotRO.

The Dauntless Reverie - a multi-game, heavy-RP community. CoH/V, LotRO, and coming soon to SW:TOR!

• SuperwasbeerSuperwasbeer Member Posts: 85

Cool, looks like a real star wars game in my opinion. Man I want to play this sooooooo bad

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

Can't wait!

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

There had better be some form of cloth animation.  The piece of cloth on the female jedi's backside will drive me crazy.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Cool more old pics that already been on the swtor website for a few months now.

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652
    Originally posted by Locklain

There had better be some form of cloth animation.  The piece of cloth on the female jedi's backside will drive me crazy.

Yah, it could drive me crazy to... 

Oh, you mean... you don't care for it?

Heh,  nvm

• ShadowsladyShadowslady Member UncommonPosts: 148

canooooooooooot wait

Shadowlord Sage
    CmdrAkbar

Napa Valley, UO, 1997.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by Shijuki

From earlier interviews they have said they wanted to compete with WoW and in order to do that, they have to make sure most people can run the game hence why it has a cartoony feel to it's graphics. What is the point of having a KOTOR looking mmorpg when most people probably won't be able to run the game properly?

You are under the false assumption that a game must be cartoony to run on old computers. It doesn't. Guild Wars has some very nice graphics and runs on old computers. Making it cartoony is just a lazy way out.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I for one applaud Bioware for the visual style they managed to create. Every single screen looks like a beautifully handpainted scifi illustration. I think its nothing less than pure brilliance.

And mark my words: at a first glance you might be slightly dispointed by the lack of stunning realism, but I am convinced that this 'realism with a twist' looks and feels way more immersive than cold, harsh, unforgivingly realistic visuals, when you actually play the game. (In that regard, with high def realism, every modeling and animation flaw stands out like a shining beacon, here it gets much more enveloped in the immersion sauce).

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

Originally posted by Shijuki

You are under the false assumption that a game must be cartoony to run on old computers. It doesn't. Guild Wars has some very nice graphics and runs on old computers. Making it cartoony is just a lazy way out.

I agree, thing is though, cartoony is a lazy and effective way to run on cheap computers. Cartoony takes a lot longer to look dated, as opposed to guild wars, because cartoony will always be cartoony, but realistic graphics always get better, thus making the old gen realistic graphics dated.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

I think I've realized that my biggest gripe with the way this looks so far is the textures. That is the major factor that makes it look so cartoony and not Star Wars. The models really aren't that bad(besides everyone's clothing being extremely tight and wrinkleless). I think if they redid the textures to make them look more realistic it would go a long way to making this game look better. Until then, still think the game looks like crap.

opposite for me.

I don't mind the cell shaded look. its a good idea took because it means better performance, more people on screen...

the models are the worse part of the visuals, they have got alot better since the earlier screenshots but some of them are still pretty terrible. proportions pretty messed up, thats what make it feel more cartoony imo.

My blog: image

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

This is one the games I am certainly keeping an eye on.   I like what I've heard so far from the developers. 

• pinoyjesterpinoyjester Member Posts: 81

I think this game would drive Atlantica Online out of my system when released (but i think i would still play when SW: TOR is in maintenance lol)...

Updates:

SW: TOR Reveals the Bounty Hunter

Star Wars: The Old Republic will feature many familiar character archetypes including the just-revealed bounty hunter.

Hunter, Seeker, Killer for Hire

Countless enemies stand in the way of the Sith Empire's drive for domination. The Empire spares no expense eliminating these threats, offering massive bounties to employ the galaxy's most lethal hunters. Earning a death mark from the Empire means a life spent in fear, constantly looking over one's shoulder. It's never a question if a Bounty Hunter will find you... only when.

Both infamous and anonymous at the same time, Bounty Hunters are far more than mercenaries for hire-they're heirs to a professional legacy-an ancient brotherhood with a glorious history. Tracking elusive targets across multiple star systems requires expertise, especially when the targets can be prominent, powerful, and often prepared for confrontation. Thrill seekers from all walks of life set out to become Bounty Hunters, but only the most hard-boiled survive in this competitive and deadly business.

The Bounty Hunter's path lies along the edge-the stakes are always high-and the path only leads two places, to a life of infamous glory... or to a quick and ignominious death.

Imperial Relations

Though the Empire disapproves of the Bounty Hunters' fierce independence, exceptions are made for those who get results. Few individuals in the galaxy have the gall and the stomach to deliver on the delicate and grim tasks in which Bounty Hunters excel. Nonetheless, no one is irreplaceable in the Empire, and even the most proficient must repeatedly prove their worth. In the bounty business, one's name is everything, and with each mark a Bounty Hunter takes down, his reputation grows, as does his price.

Affiliations and Loyalties

Bounty Hunters are far from a homogeneous lot-they come from all races and affiliations and each pursues his quarry in his own unique way. Some Bounty Hunters adhere to the rugged Mandalorian code of honor while others answer only to their own moral compass. Some work only on behalf of organizations they agree with, while others have no sense of loyalty.

Despite being kindred spirits, fellow Bounty Hunters cannot always be trusted-among the profession's most notorious members, competition turns colleagues into the most ruthless of enemies. Even the Bounty Hunters' employers harbor hidden agendas; the tables are turned quickly when complications arise... and they always do. Shifting allegiances, unbeatable odds, and deadly showdowns are common in the occurrences in the life of a Bounty Hunter.

For more information check out this link: http://www.swtor.com/info/classes/bounty-hunter

• vktra79vktra79 Member Posts: 34

I like the art style. Hope that closed beta comes soon.

• soulrevolversoulrevolver Member Posts: 33

All I can say is, I am getting the same excited feeling I had when I first opened the original SWG box. The same feeling as when I got Boba Fett for Christmas when I was seven. Now I am a cynical old(er) fool, Star Wars stuff seems to be the only thing that gives me this feeling.

I am happy with what I have seen so far. I am one that tried and tried to like wow but I couldnt get used to the look of it and gave up.

I cant wait to play this.