Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Level Cap

TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

I was initially excited about a higher level cap in GW2, but after playing other MMO such as WoW annd LoTRO I'm not so sure any more. It seems that most other games are all about the level grind, but I never felt that way playing Guild Wars. You could reach level 20 in a reasonable amount of time, and that with taking your time to enjoy the game. After 20 you spent time in the under world for fissure of woe or making sorrows furnace runs collecting greens to make your Toon look good for all the great PvP.

My question to you guys, do you think Guild Wars 2 really needs level grind?

Comments

• SoliTearSoliTear Member Posts: 46

initially they have said no level cap.  i think that is their strategy in that they want levels not to mean much other than how long you have played.  i bet there still will be a level where you don't get anything.  i bet there will be a level 20 equivalent.  it is just after that, whatever you gain is either skills or something. 

i am concerned about GW2 project.  NCSoft is struggling.  i also think Anet has much to rethink.  Their skill system finally collapsed GW and that is the reason they decided to go to GW2 and not make anymore content.  Trying to balance their skill system has become almost impossible.  That is why they finally split pvp and pve skills.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by Tekaelon

I was initially excited about a higher level cap in GW2, but after playing other MMO such as WoW annd LoTRO I'm not so sure any more. It seems that most other games are all about the level grind, but I never felt that way playing Guild Wars. You could reach level 20 in a reasonable amount of time, and that with taking your time to enjoy the game. After 20 you spent time in the under world for fissure of woe or making sorrows furnace runs collecting greens to make your Toon look good for all the great PvP.
    My question to you guys, do you think Guild Wars 2 really needs level grind?

I remember something about diminishing returns. Making the lvl grind less mandatory. Meaning that the higher lvl you got, the less impact a new lvl would have on your toon. A mechanic to make lvl difference at higher lvl having less meaning. Anyway it implies that you dont have to max a toon to enjoy all content.

And yes, I agree with you about the lvl20 cap. In other games many players that I meet in PUGs are obsessed with xp gain and fastest route to max lvl.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

from the wiki

wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2/FAQ

Levels

So are they raising the level cap?

Yes, but the final cap hasn't been announced. It could be as high as 100 or even limitless.

Isn't that going to get in the way of me playing with my friends?

A side kick system will be used which will bring your armor and power up to that of people you are with.

Am I going to have to endlessly grind to be the most powerful I can be?

No. The amount of power you get at higher levels will reduce significantly. At some point you will not get any more powerful by gaining more levels.

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210
    Originally posted by Nadia

from the wiki
    wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2/FAQ
    Levels

So are they raising the level cap?
    Yes, but the final cap hasn't been announced. It could be as high as 100 or even limitless.

Isn't that going to get in the way of me playing with my friends?
    A side kick system will be used which will bring your armor and power up to that of people you are with.

Am I going to have to endlessly grind to be the most powerful I can be?
    No. The amount of power you get at higher levels will reduce significantly. At some point you will not get any more powerful by gaining more levels.

Exactly, but there is also this on the Wiki too:

Characters

A character can be used to play any game mode available in Guild Wars 2; PvE, Structured PvP and World PvP. A player may still have multiple characters.

The level cap will be raised. It has been suggested that this could be as much as 100 or even unlimited. There will be a plateau of power, where each level no longer adds as much to the power of the character. A sidekick system has been mentioned which would allow characters of a lower level to play with high level characters without disadvantage.

The skills system will be modified. There will be fewer, less complex skills which may behave differently in different situations, such as if the character is jumping or is surrounded by monsters. As in Guild Wars, characters will have access to only a limited number of skills at a time.

The professions are being designed to be viable for both solo and group play. A primary and secondary profession system will be used. It is currently not known if any professions from the original Guild Wars will return, and the profession count is unknown, however, as of June 2007, all ten professions from the original Guild Wars were under consideration.

So as it says there, levels are just a number after a while and not really relevant, so its still Guild Wars, just with a higher level...  Hell, with the amount of experience and skill points my Necro has rocked up in nearly 4 years, he'd easily be lvl 100 if the cap was higher in GW1

imageimage

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Lonesamurai1

with the amount of experience and skill points my Necro has rocked up in nearly 4 years, he'd easily be lvl 100 if the cap was higher in GW1

that made me laugh - good point

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Its a RPG

So upgrading and Lvling is a major part of the gameplay. Thats one thing that GW was lacking. The game was basically a single player console game that required internet to play.

Originally posted by tro44_1

Its a RPG
    So upgrading and Lvling is a major part of the gameplay. Thats one thing that GW was lacking. The game was basically a single player console game that required internet to play.

Wrong, it was a pvp game that used PvE as a training system

PvE was neer intended as the mainstay of the game, thats why factions was over  year after prophecies release, but nightfall was only 6 months later...  they changed the idea because of the way it was taken in by the community

imageimage

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

In all honesty I think my Warrior is over level 1000 if you see that you got the same cap to level up, and I've not played very much on it. Either way I'd not having anything against seeing eternal amount of levels being added, as long as it's no significant difference, or rather the only difference being the number showed, between say level 10 and 1000. Personally I think the time it takes to hit max level in Nightfall is about how long it should take, after that it should only affect your ePeen.

• beaverzbeaverz Member Posts: 660

What I understood from a dev chat some time ago was that after a certain level, the boost in stats would be EXTREMELY minor. The additional lvls being mostly for show.

I'm not a no life that sits in front of his computer all day long, I'm an intern that sits in front of his computer all day long.

Originally posted by beaverz

What I understood from a dev chat some time ago was that after a certain level, the boost in stats would be EXTREMELY minor. The additional lvls being mostly for show.

thats bang on and exactly what they said

imageimage