Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coming Back

So I keep checking forums to see if I want to come back. I loved the thought of AOC and was pretty upset with how bad it was. This is the one game I enjoyed at first. So instead of talking myself in to coming back I am going to just pay the 15 and try it out for a month and see if I like it again. What server is the most populated now? I honestly dont remember which one i was on lol. Is it better to go PVP in this game? If I remember right crafting/gathering sucked anyway.

Comments

• clearSamclearSam Member Posts: 304

im on SET(PvE) and its pretty populated, i know that Tirany (PvP) have a high population too. if you like Role play then you have to go to Wiccana i guess.... 

however, just so you dont get disapointed, crafting/itemization are still pretty sucky, those are the main negative points about AoC as of now, so if you are coming back specifically for those, you better wait til next patch 1.05 is released (probably in a couple of months).

otherwise the game have come a long way since launch, technical bugs have been mitigated and a lot of content have been added especially to the end of the game.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

It depends on if you like free for all pvp or controlled pvp.  I personally prefer controlled pvp (general servers), and play on the server Set, the global channel is always full of people to talk to.  The biggest problem with open pvp servers is there are little 12 year olds (sadly they're probably immature adults) that will kill you while you're in the middle of quest dialog, aka nothing you can do but die.  In the General servers PvP is only allowed in certain areas.  Mini-games seem to be easier to get together in the General servers, as this is the main way people pvp.  On open PvP servers most would rather just run around in gank squads or kill others while in quest dialog.  I would suggest the General server for anyone that is mature, and PvP servers for anyone that has the maturity of a 8 year old.

Funcom has said that they're working on making items more important than they are right now.  The difference between green and blue items while it may look like a huge difference, the difference between them in the numbers is very little in the end.  By the end of April, I guess, they should have an item buff patch which should fix this problem.

• MettMett Member Posts: 75

Is set the main pve server now? I just want to go to one that is highly populated. I am not sure if I could handle open pvp in this game as I have never done it.

I also need to figure out what class to play, I have no clue where my characters from Zug went lol I enjoyed the assassin, barbarian and necro.

• Kungaloosh1Kungaloosh1 Member Posts: 260

Zug merged into Wicana. That is where your toons are at.

That is a pretty busy server then? Based on what I am reading?

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I am on Aquilonia which is a RP / PvP server.  Its quite busy and it shows in the guild I am in.  I saw a leap in members at the start then it dropped down to 10 or so but now its back up to 80's and there are always 30 or so online.  Its a pretty good server and global chat is always busy.  

On the other hand it depends on what you left the game for, which will determine your opinion this time round.  If it was the crashes and lack of content at the top end and the imbalanced classes etc. Then that has been sorted. 

Welcome back, imo its the best fantasy game out there now and the returning crowds are proving it.

• kithekithe Member UncommonPosts: 111

I got the game at launch but had to stop playing due to living conditions.

I resubed yesterday after reading about all the added patches and content. I was surpriced. The game was smoother to play and very fun... That is until I got to level 15 and went to "white sands". It was just crazy it was mass pvp everywhere. Around 20-30 people fighting just where you enter the zone, ranging from 10-25 in level. Okay, I thought and went back to tortage as it was impossible to quest with people fighting like that everywhere. I went for a run in "underhall" instead. It was worse. 2 groups of 5 people each all with red skulls over their heads running around killing everything in sight. I would like to see myself as a casual open world pvper but this was just crazy.

When I asked around about it I got the answer that there is nothing to do at higher levels so this was the most fun the game would have to offer. If I wanted to level pve levels I should pay someone to boost me 1g an hour. I have made around 30 copper by level 15. 

Is this really how it is to play on a pvp server? If so I am rolling pve asap and hope for more pve content. :/

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by Mett

That is a pretty busy server then? Based on what I am reading?

Yes it is pretty good for population, with the server merges came new guilds all put together, the city spots were in contention again and sieges happen often. There is old time server pride from those that came in as well as new friends and enemies for everyone. If you pick Wiccana you can't grow wrong as it was enhanced not by population but decent community too.

• JasmaJasma Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by kithe

I got the game at launch but had to stop playing due to living conditions.
    I resubed yesterday after reading about all the added patches and content. I was surpriced. The game was smoother to play and very fun... That is until I got to level 15 and went to "white sands". It was just crazy it was mass pvp everywhere. Around 20-30 people fighting just where you enter the zone, ranging from 10-25 in level. Okay, I thought and went back to tortage as it was impossible to quest with people fighting like that everywhere. I went for a run in "underhall" instead. It was worse. 2 groups of 5 people each all with red skulls over their heads running around killing everything in sight. I would like to see myself as a casual open world pvper but this was just crazy.
    When I asked around about it I got the answer that there is nothing to do at higher levels so this was the most fun the game would have to offer. If I wanted to level pve levels I should pay someone to boost me 1g an hour. I have made around 30 copper by level 15. 
    Is this really how it is to play on a pvp server? If so I am rolling pve asap and hope for more pve content. :/

First of all. The PvE content is way up after patch 1.04. I am at least very happy with it. It's so many quests that you can't possibly do them all before like 20% of the quests go grey in your questjournal. It's perhaps somewhat thin in level 74-78 range but thats it really. You should not be worried about PvE content. Second, I love PvP but I play on a PvE server. Why? Well it's the beuty of playing a zoned game. There can be different rule sets in every zone. PvE servers have full war and PvP in the borderlands, where Sieges and wars over PvP resources are fought. There are also minigames for PvP to pump you PvP XP and get your guild some guildpoints to use for sieging.

When this is said, if you really want to punish the murderers... It's pretty easy, you gang up like 12 lowbies and rape them.. pretty fun:) Also, if you have a guild it's time to call in the cavalery. After all, they can harvest double PvP XP by nailing murderers. Finally, there is plenty endgame content now... what you see is only people that want to be murderer for the sake of being murderer. But they are doomed, and more doomed the longer they keep fcking around:)

Thanks for such a fast reply. 

I wasn't sure how it worked but if there are still possible to pvp even if I play on a pve server I think I will roll on a pve server. I want to first and foremost see the game. It's so beutiful that it would be a waste not to see it all and as I have no guild or friends playing I am quite free to move around as a please. Think I need to do a little reading about the classes again and then it's off to explore this great world. ^^

I will reinstall the game tonight, I read that the patches are 13gb worth? That will take a while but I will resub once it is active again. I may just roll an assassin as they interested me the first time, I need to learn the controls again as I have not played for a long long time. I will be on wiccana it seems if anyone is starting up with me.

• Deadman87Deadman87 Member Posts: 253

I think perhaps two, three gigs of patching. Not 13!

It is preferable not to travel with a dead man.

When I reistalled the Collector's Edition disks the other day there was 5 gigs of patching. The patch servers are fast though, never under 1.5mb/s so it took about 1-2 hours to patch up. 

• Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581

Deciding on either EVE or AoC, i played AoC 2 months back and got a 40 necro on Tryanny and greatly enjoyed the game. The thing that did make me quit was the murder system. It needs to be done away with or fixed. All i need to say is 3 level 20 archers killing a 80 (no damage mitigation for higher level gear, but from what ppl say items will be buffed and thank you finallly funcom!!!).

AoC also to me had a questing problem, i would either get all these group quests when im soloing and it felt like a quest in a quest to even find quests. And those giant elite looking mobs, it wouldnt kill funcom to label them as elite or give them a special portrait border >.>. I understood that AoC did have a hard pvp level up system but this is what i enjoyed because it felt very like those old days in WoW when you got High Warlord (till blizz ruined the game). I rather play pvp because i like the idea of pvp anywhere, even tho it can get in the way of leveling but at the same time make the immersion to keep even that boring questing interesting. And funny thing about Tyranny is the lack of minigames on a PVP server and how many ppl sit there in global chat and link thier PVE gear on a PVP server. Get what im saying? I simply love how you get full pvp sets for your dedication in pvp, it would be great if ppl got together and did some mini games and more seiges in between but they rather gank because minigames have set levels and this disallows them to gank lowbies :(

One thing that will keep me coming back is Necro, not many games have this class, let alone have it be so awesome!!!!!!!! So any game that can work Necro right has got my wallet. Little things only bother me about this game but its enough to discourage me from playing. I want to pvp but if pvp will consists of ganking lowbies all day and NOT playing minigames/seiges then the game will be to PVE for me and thats not what i seek. AoC has great potential as a pvp game and it seems the focus more on PVE than PVP :(

The same thing bothers me about EVE, ppl make it into a "camp gates until a sucker comes and others say there is factional warfare. Its just i really need to know if this game is an actual strategic pvp beast or just a gank the weak in outnumbered situations. I already find it hard to get into sci fi but if its a great game that does have fun and fair large epic scale battles im in :D. Just need some help from you guys.

• slythsslyths Member UncommonPosts: 208

Welcome back man!

• DaveTTDaveTT Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Darkfalz89

Deciding on either EVE or AoC, i played AoC 2 months back and got a 40 necro on Tryanny and greatly enjoyed the game. The thing that did make me quit was the murder system. It needs to be done away with or fixed. All i need to say is 3 level 20 archers killing a 80 (no damage mitigation for higher level gear, but from what ppl say items will be buffed and thank you finallly funcom!!!).
    AoC also to me had a questing problem, i would either get all these group quests when im soloing and it felt like a quest in a quest to even find quests. And those giant elite looking mobs, it wouldnt kill funcom to label them as elite or give them a special portrait border >.>. I understood that AoC did have a hard pvp level up system but this is what i enjoyed because it felt very like those old days in WoW when you got High Warlord (till blizz ruined the game). I rather play pvp because i like the idea of pvp anywhere, even tho it can get in the way of leveling but at the same time make the immersion to keep even that boring questing interesting. And funny thing about Tyranny is the lack of minigames on a PVP server and how many ppl sit there in global chat and link thier PVE gear on a PVP server. Get what im saying? I simply love how you get full pvp sets for your dedication in pvp, it would be great if ppl got together and did some mini games and more seiges in between but they rather gank because minigames have set levels and this disallows them to gank lowbies :(
    One thing that will keep me coming back is Necro, not many games have this class, let alone have it be so awesome!!!!!!!! So any game that can work Necro right has got my wallet. Little things only bother me about this game but its enough to discourage me from playing. I want to pvp but if pvp will consists of ganking lowbies all day and NOT playing minigames/seiges then the game will be to PVE for me and thats not what i seek. AoC has great potential as a pvp game and it seems the focus more on PVE than PVP :(
    The same thing bothers me about EVE, ppl make it into a "camp gates until a sucker comes and others say there is factional warfare. Its just i really need to know if this game is an actual strategic pvp beast or just a gank the weak in outnumbered situations. I already find it hard to get into sci fi but if its a great game that does have fun and fair large epic scale battles im in :D. Just need some help from you guys.

Well i play on Fury-pvp (EU), and there are new minigames every 5-20 mins. So alot of people do minigames and i think they are alot of fun. Alot of sieging going on, also very fun ;)

FC added pvp-resources in the last patch so Borderkingdoms-cimmerian end is really busy, Alot of pvp going on there all the time. And i think that the open world pvp is pretty fun, me and some friends like to team up and go on a murderer hunt, we kill every murderer we see ;) Really fun and good pvp-xp.

I dont understand you when you say that the pvp in AOC is just ganking?

Many things have changed the last months, the game is much better now and i would definitely recommend you to resub and give AOC another try ;)

------------------------------

Bear Grylls : I need to get out of this frozen hellhole!
    Bear Grylls : (Holds a beetle in his hand) 4 times more protein then Beef

• Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581

When i say ganking I mean like ppl 20-30 levels higher than you in a zone he doesnt have any meritable need to be in just to gank lowbies.

I want to try out a pvp server, what is a good class to play? I am trying the ranger and assassin again now. I like both of them so far.

• DaveTTDaveTT Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Prominent

I will wait for this new MMO called Mortal Online instead.
    Check this ingame video. It has some simularities to Everquest1 but have much better graphic. It is FPV only, no instances, seamless loading of "zones", 10 hit boxes you can aim at, full loot, etc ...
    Exploring dark dungeons with a torch will be an adventure. Just check this movie ...
    www.mortalonline.com
    The beta signup have just started and the release is expected this may -09.  

I am pretty sure this game will not be released may -09.

Maybe around late Q3- 09

------------------------------

Bear Grylls : I need to get out of this frozen hellhole!
    Bear Grylls : (Holds a beetle in his hand) 4 times more protein then Beef

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by DaveTT

Originally posted by Prominent

I will wait for this new MMO called Mortal Online instead.
    Check this ingame video. It has some simularities to Everquest1 but have much better graphic. It is FPV only, no instances, seamless loading of "zones", 10 hit boxes you can aim at, full loot, etc ...
    Exploring dark dungeons with a torch will be an adventure. Just check this movie ...
    www.mortalonline.com
    The beta signup have just started and the release is expected this may -09.  

I am pretty sure this game will not be released may -09.

Maybe around late Q3- 09

Actually, this looks like some more Darkfall style development. Why not add 8-10 years to the release date to get a good idea of when you can play.

• abalabal Member UncommonPosts: 169

And let's not forget that there's always the possibility that some features announced pre-launch might not be available in the release day.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453
    Originally posted by Mett

I want to try out a pvp server, what is a good class to play? I am trying the ranger and assassin again now. I like both of them so far.

Mett the assassin is freaking awesome. I have a few high level characters but the assassin played well is just adrenalin pumping.  I had issues but then read some great forums with setup and how to play it right and now I can take on 4-6 NPC's at the same level and come out fine.  Plus the very fast killing is just too cool.  I have a 79 BS and I thought it was my favourite character but the assassin takes the cake.  For me the BS is more of a slow killer with tons of buffs and healing, so more long term strategy.  The assassin at level 70 still just has 1 buff and its all about movement, combo timing and key execution.  I stopped playing everything else because for me AoC with the assassin is the only fantasy game I have played that real skill means so much.   Have to say the lack of heals (just 1) was daunting. 

Ranger is cool but assassin post 30 was too cool

• abalabal Member UncommonPosts: 169

Ranger and Assassins are overpowered. especially at lower levels.

• yukumoyukumo Member Posts: 86

Me and a buddy are both coming back to the game

server is tyranny...maybe you will resub to!