Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HJ is officially over.

drundledrundle Member Posts: 1

Don't count on HJ ever coming out.  Word is, they just had massive layoffs (20-something people).

Comments

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Any real information about this?  This would severely be a bad thing, insofar as the Hero's Engine is what The Old Republic is using and the development of the engine has been ongoing with BioWare Austin.  Now, if it is just the game's development staff and the engine staff are still fully functional then it's a sad day for people like myself that had been looking forward to this game for several years now but their is still the good news that The Old Republic will not be negatively impacted by this sort of a change.  Any linkage? :)

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

"If the game was dying, don't you think that you would've heard something about it? Doesn't the fact that there has been absolutely nothing like that leaked mean anything?"

- Agent_X7, staff writer (former?) for mmorpg.com

I guess the "as long as they never admit the game isn't launching it must still be launching" theory didn't work out after all.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by drundle

Don't count on HJ ever coming out.  Word is, they just had massive layoffs (20-something people).

Yes, its true, and I thought it was 60 people were layed off.  One of which was a family member.  As much as I've overheard I don't see HJ getting a release in the next 2 years....appears to be just an engine for now.

• froichxfroichx Member Posts: 4

It's over, done, they are finished.  I know someone who works....... sorry, worked there and they are finished.  That game looked amazing too and now thanks to poor management from what I've heard they are going to be over.  Unless of course things pick up which looks more unlikely with the economic down turn.   They should have released that game a long time ago.  Sorry, I'm just ticked off and had to vent.  It seems like a lot of small companies like simutronics are going to have a hard time keeping up if companies like EA are even downsizing..........

rICHARD p dIDDY

• RupardRupard Member Posts: 57

GAME OVER!!!!! pardon the joke, but what a joke.  This game was supposed to come out in 2003, then 2004, then "Early" 2005, then "Summer" 2006, then they were like, O' we are going to focus on the engine.  OK............. then 2007, then "Late" 2008, I love that one, "Late" awesome.  and now "Never" in 2009.  Great, what a tease.  good looking visuals but thats all.   The company should have just let a bigger company buy them out and get the stinkin game out, but instead they decided to stay small.  I said this a long time ago, small companies just can't get over the hill to the promise land, they need some help, and thats ok, everyone needs help sometimes, all you have to do is admit it and everything will be ok, but instead..........nothin.........and now look, they had to let people go.  What a mess,  great managment!!!

• Syyth007Syyth007 Member Posts: 250

Last I heard was that HJ was being programed by mainly volunteer programmers, and that they had a very small inhouse staff (as in less then 20). I dunno, but there is exactly zero information that is any way official, and this is the first time I've heard this "rumor". Unless they fired everyone (which I doubt, as all their other games are still running, and being updated), and I would think it would be a pretty retarded move to fire the volunteers, as they are not being paid.

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

I really doubt the legitimacy of this statement.  HJ is run by a pretty small team (who actually expanded some time ago), and they took over development from their volunteer team some months back in order to speed things along.  They also just built a new building for the company a couple months ago.  They have sold the Hero Engine -several- times now, so I really doubt they've been having money problems.  On top of that, they still make quite a bit of money from their MUD subscriptions, which people pay a pretty penny to play still.

• SorcerousKhanSorcerousKhan Member UncommonPosts: 164

As a former volunteer GM for Hero's Journey, I'm in the loop as far as goings-on at Simutronics.

The layoffs are true. There are now 6 employees still remaining at the Simutronics headquarters. Dave tried very hard to prevent this, but in the end, HeroEngine wasn't selling well enough to support the team anymore.

Simutronics will continue to develop and support HeroEngine, but Hero's Journey is on indefinite hiatus until Simu can get out of this rut.

Personally, I think Hero's Journey is vaporware. Having actually worked on the game, I can say that with some authority.

This is too bad, because it had a lot of potential. HeroEngine really is a very solid engine, and I had a blast using it.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

That is a real shame.  HJ looked very promising.

• ValendrosValendros Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by Sheista

I really doubt the legitimacy of this statement.  HJ is run by a pretty small team (who actually expanded some time ago), and they took over development from their volunteer team some months back in order to speed things along.  They also just built a new building for the company a couple months ago.  They have sold the Hero Engine -several- times now, so I really doubt they've been having money problems.  On top of that, they still make quite a bit of money from their MUD subscriptions, which people pay a pretty penny to play still.

They didn't move into that new building, Sheista.

• ValendrosValendros Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 123

WOW the official message boards suck.

That is all

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

Good news. One less crappy release to deal with.

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

I would wait to see what exactly they say, you have to remember simutronics also owns and opperates about 7 different mud games with suscriptions that run from $14 to $80 dollars. I would want to see that the 20 person lay off was from hero's journey and not from one of their high price server teams. Honestly they make their bank from text based games that people play as much as a normal mmo to play. I'd not count anything that simply says simutronics as impacting HJ unless they said explicityly  that it was from that team the lay offs came.

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891

Sucky news if any of it is true....if they really wanna make money with their Engine they should have some sort of liscences for Hobbyists.   At this point they're hurting themselves for cash if thats the issue.

I was looking forward to HJ...Simutronics is the first online game company I ever played a game by.  Gemstone 3!

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

I played dragon realms as my first, back when it was attached to aol about 13 years ago. It was what really hooked me to mmo's, right up til I got lost forever in a maze. Any game that can make you lost to the point you never get home has a lvl of skill there. I credit that game with why I refuse to get lost in todays mmo's even if I don't have a map.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by drundle

This is ypur title:

HJ is officially over.

Where is the official anouncement in your post?

Is the second thread I read recently with an "officially" in the title with no official information inside. Please dont use this word untill you have some kind of official word.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    Originally posted by Samuraisword

Good news. One less crappy release to deal with.

LOL this comeing from a suer with a Hackfall signature pic, hilarious.

On the thread topic, the a ount of news released about this game is akin to that of darkfall, could even be worse, thou the visuals look WAY better, kinda sad I just found out about the game. Thier website says they are still hireing on the main page lol they may want to update that.

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • TwiztedTDTwiztedTD Member Posts: 79

To bad this game is over... I just noticed it now from the forums and it looks amazing!

• RenessaRenessa Member Posts: 79

Ah, well! Not really a surprise.

I must admit, I am totally inclined to believe the people reporting about the lay-offs etc. The nay-sayers have been right all along about this game.

I only hope, that the engine, at least, delivers, what Simutronic promises, as I am looking forward to SWTOR.

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Wow, a friend who was a GM for HJ confirmed this.  He received an email from the company informing them about the layoffs.  Said the game was not cancelled, but that it would be a while until they could get funding.  Apparently they've had some pretty major financial issues, and haven't been selling as many licenses of the HeroEngine as they would have liked.

I stand corrected, but this really does suck.  :(

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

That's too bad this game is gone. It was one of those I kinda followed over the years. Perhaps the devs shoulda concentrated on getting the game finished/ released so they coulda made some money offa it. Rather than just worrying about trying to sell the engine...they coulda sold engine after the game was released.

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

Figured as much, the are no doubt using HJ as a model for engine for other companies. I think Bioware is using it for Star Wars KOTRO. 

I know in this economy that is what I'd do.

• calmyroncalmyron Member Posts: 46

Simu is still making a profit from their MUDs, but who knows about the Engine. Licensing deals confuse the heck out of me and there is some realistic comments about Simu borrowing some substantial amounts of money to get the engine done. With the credit well pretty much dried up, this could very well account for the layoffs and the decision to put JH on the backburner.

I don't agree that it's over. The powers at the top would like to finish the game. Now, whether the MMO marketplace and the economy will allow that to happen, we'll see. I for one would like to see it come out, but even if it doesn't, there are plenty of good MMOs coming.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

Well they make money when a company recieves liscence to develope a game, or multiple games with their engine. They probably made a substantial amount of money off BioWare, and probably the same with the other companies who have liscenced it (last I heard there were 3 who had liscenced it last year) so my guess would be that they decided they make more money off the engine, and to make Hero's Journey just ends up spending that money, more than they are comfortable with.

• calmyroncalmyron Member Posts: 46

When I did some research on licensing of the engine, it seemed to imply that the maker of the engine only received any substantial amount of money on residuals. So until the game is released by BioWare, Simu may have already used it's initial license fee up already. That would definitely cash strap Simu.