Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smooth launch?! Are you crazy??

2»

Comments

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by onlinenow225
    WAR had an incredible launch. If it did not run for you that was most likly your own fault.
    No I'm no WAR fanboi, i don't play it currently but it did have an incredibly smooth launch.
    WAR can't even be compared to AOC's launch, and should not even be in the same sentence as each other regarding MMO launches.
    Even with WoW's loot bug it cant even be compared to AOC's atrocity of a launch.

And why would it not launch smooth? The amount of fail in this topic is horrible. You make claims about 1 game that had a great launch, another medium okay launch game, and a fail game.

With stating those 3 games, I really don't know if you think this game is going to fail or not.

All I said about WAR was that it had a record breaking launch. Last I checked, breaking records is a good thing. Please stop quoting out of context.

Originally posted by thexrated

"KOTOR 2 was very buggy. I can't even get KOTOR 2 to run on some computers."
    I thought KOTOR 2 was made by Obsidian Entertainment and not Bioware.

Good catch. Bioware suggested that Obsidian should develop it, and they did. This doesn't really impact the overall argument, but it is a noteworthy fact.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

My understanding is LA pushed Obsidion to launch at scheduled date although Obsid wanted more time.

That is why the bugs, and so much content that was planned was cut.

Which is saying something cause it is a pretty long game as is. Would of luved to of had the various content included(the HK factory most of all).

I believe the old Pres of LA has left now. His stance on "games must launch when agreed upon" is the dumbest thing I ever heard of. Sometimes problems crop up in this area of entertainment. We see it all the time.

Folks are getting more and more set on "polished games". We are tired of being sold buggy chit, and there is no excuse for it in the first place.

Making a scheduled production date isnt worth putting out junk.. Sales are showing that, and hopefully all gaming companies are paying attention...although with a few ganes released lately it doesnt seem to be the case.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

I think the launch will go relatively smoothly. No launch is ever perfect, but I have a feeling this one will go well.

• Tedly224Tedly224 Member Posts: 164

I'm pretty sure that this game will make buckets of money, but it's way, way too early to predict a sour launch.

Cryptic Studios and City of Heroes had a closed and open beta that is now more or less used as an industry standard for a "textbook" success of what an MMORPG should have. The game's launch was smooth as hell, but it didn't come as a surprise to anyone in the Beta Test 'cause they already saw for themselves that the programming was ready to go. The game was *so* successful with its launch that some rushed and successfully implimented Instancing of major city points was needed after the fact.

For this game? Save the predictions until the closed and open beta. Assuming they're smart enough to use an open beta stage for stress testing server loads. Predictions won't be needed at that point - the testers will be able to see and post for themselves if it's going to be a successful launch.

The testers for Horizons, Shadowbane, World of Warcraft, Star Wars Galaxies, and many others saw ahead of time what *their* launches were going to look like.

• _Shadowmage_Shadowmage Member Posts: 1,459

A few things I think you should consider

- EA have experience hosting MMO's, and launching them - WAR launched pretty well.

- Bioware are not inventing their own tech - they have licensed a lot of tech from Simultronics for the game development, and Perpetual for the player management, billing, customer relationship management, game feature extension, load-balancing, lobby servicing, patching and community management.

- Also I think their games have shown a marked improvement from Baldurs Gate to Mass Effect in story telling, and less bugs. I certainly wouldnt be holding a game release 10+ years ago against them. I think they have come a long way since the days of Baldurs Gate.

I havent encountered any problems with Mass Effect.

So I expect the launch to be nothing like your prediction and will be buying the game.

• warppwarpp Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by miagisan

* Record breaking sales. Agree
    * Unplayable for 1-3 days after launch. Disagree....maybe the first day it will be, but bioware, with money from EA and LA breathing down their necks...no way it's going to stay down long
    * Stuttering and extreme lag for the first month. Maybe in the main hubs or new player areas, but the worlds seem wide open enough where the rest of the area's this wont be the case
    * Crashes and severe bugs which persist for the first 3 months. Disagree.....EA servers are going to be pretty good, they know this game is going to be big. And bugs? sorry but bioware and bugs rarely go hand in hand...most BW games are very bug free.
    Assuming for the sake of argument that this is the launch we will see, will youl buy the game? Star Wars + Bioware + MMORPG ? just try to keep me away.

I agree with the above.

This will be bioware's baby and it will have a few bugs like every single mmorpg to date but it will still work from day one. There is  bugs and their is a damn right joke...Darkfall

Jah Rasta For I.
    The Wicked Shall Fall..

http://www.ethnic2020.com/images/Ebay/black-jesus.jpg

• DiTHDiTH Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Originally posted by warpp

Originally posted by miagisan

* Record breaking sales. Agree
    * Unplayable for 1-3 days after launch. Disagree....maybe the first day it will be, but bioware, with money from EA and LA breathing down their necks...no way it's going to stay down long
    * Stuttering and extreme lag for the first month. Maybe in the main hubs or new player areas, but the worlds seem wide open enough where the rest of the area's this wont be the case
    * Crashes and severe bugs which persist for the first 3 months. Disagree.....EA servers are going to be pretty good, they know this game is going to be big. And bugs? sorry but bioware and bugs rarely go hand in hand...most BW games are very bug free.
    Assuming for the sake of argument that this is the launch we will see, will youl buy the game? Star Wars + Bioware + MMORPG ? just try to keep me away.

I agree with the above.

This will be bioware's baby and it will have a few bugs like every single mmorpg to date but it will still work from day one. There is  bugs and their is a damn right joke...Darkfall

I agree with these guys.The OP seems to making a HUGE mistake.

Does Bioware games have some glitches/bugs?SURE.

Is there a game ever made that has none?NOPE.

Does Bioware games have less glitches/bugs than most companies that make such huge games like Bioware?YEP.

There is no game ever created by anyone that it wont have bugs and glitches.Having played all games created by Bioware it seems that the ammount and especially the importance of the bugs in their games is really small compared to other companies.

I agree though with the online gaming that there will be some problems with the servers BUT even Darkfall had the servers running "stable" after 1 week so Bioware will surely make it.