Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Metin2 and Gameforge../moved

ImaraImara Member Posts: 3

I read an old thread from 2007 about the company gameforge and I wish i had read it BEFORE i spent over 12 months grinding away in their metin-2 UK server....

I would like to take this opportunity to tell you a little about a free MMORPG called Metin 2.

This was the first real MMORPG experience for me, the reason for searching for a free MMORPG was that I was not sure if I would like/have time to play as much as a paid subscription would require me to do, to be able to justify the cost. I did try alot of different games before finally downloading the metin 2 client, the reason why I stayed with this one was that it was easy to understand the interface while it was powerful at the same time. You get missions at the start of the game that help you get used to the controls and help you explore more of the world, while giving some experience points and some ingame currency.

The graphics are very good and can even match several of the games that actually cost money and you dont need the latest graphics board to be able to play the game in a decent resolution either.

The sound effects are pretty basic, but I can honestly say that they are more than enough for a game of this kind anyway. All monsters and player classes do have their own sounds and i suppose the only thing to wish for is that the monsters would actually say the things they show in speech bubbles above their heads ;)

The music is very soothing and have in some way managed to get very nostalgic for me, I used to have it running all the time when I was a low level player just starting the game and now when i pause my mp3 player and actually listen to the game music again I get a very nostalgic feeling of hearing the tunes from the first maps.

The game is free, but you can buy a currency in their "Item shop", this currency you trade for other items that can help enhance your gaming experience. There is absolutely no need to spend money on this game, you can reach high levels without it since no items lock on to any characters, this means that enhanced items can be bought for the in game currency or traded for other items with players.

Items can be upgraded with the "help" of a blacksmith, the items can require different materials to be upgraded together with some ingame currency, this also helps bring the game forward as it gives you goals to obtain to finally be able to try your new shiny sword to the next level. Although a word of warning, the items can break and then you will lose it completely, there are ways to avoid this and you will learn after managing to grasp the more advanced concepts of the game.

The only regret I have after managing to reach level 76 is that I started playing on the United Kingdom server. There are several different servers and the most advanced one is the Korean server since that is where the game is developed, sadly that version is only in korean, so unless you can read that you are pretty much stuck in one of the other versions. The difference between the american version of the game and all the european versions is that the american version is licensed by G4BOX, which means they have access to the source code and can fix bugs and add features themselves. The european versions are run by Gameforge, a company based in Germany which did not license the game and that is why they need to wait for the korean developers to fix the bugs and implement features for them.

I can NOT recommend to anyone to start playing Metin 2 on a server that is run by Gameforge and especially not the United Kingdom server. The item shop prices are much higher on the european servers compared to the american, the american server has a much bigger team ready to help all players and competent developers able to fix bugs and implement new features as soon as they are needed. The american server is far more advanced than any of the european servers as well and that will make the game last much longer than any of the european servers. Remember that you can not transfer your character to any other server.

Another great problem with the United Kingdom server is that the team responsible for supporting the server are corrupt and are using their powers to ban, create items and characters for their friends. The top team members recently fired all other members to make sure their power can not be removed easily. This story is far too long to continue explaining here, just follow my advice and if you decide to give it a go, play on the american server located at http://www.metin2.us

Comments

• ImaraImara Member Posts: 3

Ouch, well that would hurt alot. :P

To be honest with you I was trying to be balanced and talk about the good points of the game also.. though you may disagree there are any. I really did enjoy playing it and maybe that was more to do with the people I met and friends I made there. However I can honestly say that the UK server (IE the "unfinished game")  really "sucks" right now with absolutely nothing much new for higher level players to do.

I wish I had started on the US server merely so that I could have at least experienced the full game version.

• Timberwolf0Timberwolf0 Member Posts: 424

Hmm played a game with an item shop and OP is surprised they got screwed. Protip : Don't play games with item shops.

• AndurinAndurin Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Originally posted by Imara

I read an old thread from 2007 about the company gameforge and I wish i had read it BEFORE i spent over 12 months grinding away in their metin-2 UK server....

I would like to take this opportunity to tell you a little about a free MMORPG called Metin 2.
    This was the first real MMORPG experience for me, the reason for searching for a free MMORPG was that I was not sure if I would like/have time to play as much as a paid subscription would require me to do, to be able to justify the cost. I did try alot of different games before finally downloading the metin 2 client, the reason why I stayed with this one was that it was easy to understand the interface while it was powerful at the same time. You get missions at the start of the game that help you get used to the controls and help you explore more of the world, while giving some experience points and some ingame currency.
    The graphics are very good and can even match several of the games that actually cost money and you dont need the latest graphics board to be able to play the game in a decent resolution either.
    The sound effects are pretty basic, but I can honestly say that they are more than enough for a game of this kind anyway. All monsters and player classes do have their own sounds and i suppose the only thing to wish for is that the monsters would actually say the things they show in speech bubbles above their heads ;)
    The music is very soothing and have in some way managed to get very nostalgic for me, I used to have it running all the time when I was a low level player just starting the game and now when i pause my mp3 player and actually listen to the game music again I get a very nostalgic feeling of hearing the tunes from the first maps.
    The game is free, but you can buy a currency in their "Item shop", this currency you trade for other items that can help enhance your gaming experience. There is absolutely no need to spend money on this game, you can reach high levels without it since no items lock on to any characters, this means that enhanced items can be bought for the in game currency or traded for other items with players.
    Items can be upgraded with the "help" of a blacksmith, the items can require different materials to be upgraded together with some ingame currency, this also helps bring the game forward as it gives you goals to obtain to finally be able to try your new shiny sword to the next level. Although a word of warning, the items can break and then you will lose it completely, there are ways to avoid this and you will learn after managing to grasp the more advanced concepts of the game.
    The only regret I have after managing to reach level 76 is that I started playing on the United Kingdom server. There are several different servers and the most advanced one is the Korean server since that is where the game is developed, sadly that version is only in korean, so unless you can read that you are pretty much stuck in one of the other versions. The difference between the american version of the game and all the european versions is that the american version is licensed by G4BOX, which means they have access to the source code and can fix bugs and add features themselves. The european versions are run by Gameforge, a company based in Germany which did not license the game and that is why they need to wait for the korean developers to fix the bugs and implement features for them.
    I can NOT recommend to anyone to start playing Metin 2 on a server that is run by Gameforge and especially not the United Kingdom server. The item shop prices are much higher on the european servers compared to the american, the american server has a much bigger team ready to help all players and competent developers able to fix bugs and implement new features as soon as they are needed. The american server is far more advanced than any of the european servers as well and that will make the game last much longer than any of the european servers. Remember that you can not transfer your character to any other server.
    Another great problem with the United Kingdom server is that the team responsible for supporting the server are corrupt and are using their powers to ban, create items and characters for their friends. The top team members recently fired all other members to make sure their power can not be removed easily. This story is far too long to continue explaining here, just follow my advice and if you decide to give it a go,  play on the american server located at http://www.metin2.us

That sucks man,  sounds like the Euro server is in pretty bad shape.

As for the game,  I have never tried it but I know that a lot of people have an attachment to the first MMO that they played.  For me it was Ultima Online,  so I have been searching for a game like UO ever since the game was ruined with a patch.  

Not sure what to say but I don't know.  If you like the the game that much, you might want to start again on the US servers even thought I understand how much work you put into the game on another server but at least if you started on the US server you could feel sercure about the server and your commitment to the game. 

To all you guys giving this guy a hard time, leave him alone!  I don't know why you are bashing him for simply posting a well thought out post about the game and his concerns about it on an MMORPG forum.  What else would you suggest we talk about? 

Anyways bro,  really good post, it was well written and has a lot of good info about the game. 

• ImaraImara Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Timberwolf0

Hmm played a game with an item shop and OP is surprised they got screwed. Protip : Don't play games with item shops.

Well, as I said this was my first experience, and hopefully it wont be my last :P  When I started to play it was because  I didnt want to be out of pocket for a game that i might not enjoy that had happened to a friend of mine with guild wars. However saying that, you make a good point about the item shop and they do get you caught in that way, it is really the only way for people to compete to be good/top players. So thanks for the advice :P

@Andurin. Thanks for the support :D I have a thick skin and didn't take offense to being made feel like a noob hehe. I also understand what you mean about looking for something that will catch you like "the first one" I have been looking for weeks now, and considering the US server. There was a huge thread opened on the metin UK forum and the Community Manager actually came in and closed it and didnt even answer any of the concerns expressed by the players there. Hackers and bot users are rife, the GM team is minimal and actually quite incompetent in my opinion . It actually feels like the company just wants us all to give up so they have an excuse to shut the server down. Who knows.

Anyways thanks for the input everyone :) Keep the advice coming!

• Myron41Myron41 Member Posts: 23

I played on the UK server as well and completely agree with the OP.  If you don't believe the info Google Metin2 UK and go to the 'General' section of the forum.  There appears to be a uprising developing against Gameforge and a number of the UK team for the reasons given by the OP.  In short Metin2 UK is imploding.

I have my own opinions about the UK variant that I have put forward on other threads so I wont repeat myself again except to say "play on the US servers".

To the OP, the main thing that made me grit about the UK version was

"Ro?"

"Esti Ro?"

and my favourite

"Yang pls"

spammed a thousand times a minute while you were in the middle of fighting loads of MOBs.  :)

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by Timberwolf0

Did you even read the post? OP is not QQing about the item shop but the fact that the company running her servers are a bunch of shady characters that can't bug fix themselves.

Don't touch anything that's run by Gameforge, and run a search on Saga of Ryzom while you're at it and find out what happened there..... They can't manage jack. 

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)