Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Days since" website

sellhigh55sellhigh55 Member Posts: 39

http://www.days-since-cheyenne-mountain-employees-have-been-paid.com/

Stargate Worlds has been made current on their payroll. You'd think whoever owned this site would have the decency to update it. Proof that some people want this to fail - they talk about the bad things but leave the good things out. Your life has to really suck to go out of your way to show that something is failing but not admit when things are looking up.

In today's economy, hundreds of thousands of people are being laid off around the country, and Cheyenne Mountain lays off a few and people call in the attack dogs? I'd rather have a job with a chance I'll get paid (especially if I do a good job and make a good game) than to have no job at all. And before you say "well, if you got laid off you'd have time to look for a job" I'll reply that there aren't jobs to find right now.

Cheyenne Mountain is current on their payroll, and they are good-heartedly trying to put out the most entertaining game they can. Don't like it? Then leave it alone and find something you like. Why try to make so many others miserable with you? There's no consiracy, no mal-intent (sorry folks). It's ust a small game company trying to compete with the big guys and make the most entertaining game they can. Stop wanting them to fail so badly.

Comments

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

Jeez, you know just because something is on the internet...it doesn't mean its true...

Anyway whoever made that site ..be it an employee of Cheyenne or just an internet shit stirrer , more and likely just forgot they even made the darn site.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Well it's either,

1: They got paid and didn't update.

2: They got laid off and didn't update.

3: They still haven't been paid.

As for you'd rather be in a job with a chance of being paid than looking for a job with a reliable wage, speak for yourself. If I wanted to work 9 - 5 then hope I get a pay check at the end of the month, I'd play the lottery instead. Better stakes at a lower cost and effort, and I can go looking for a decent employer at the same time! As to who started that site and their motivations we may never know, I would guess it was a disgruntled employee or an employees family member. Not getting that paycheck at Christmass time would be no laughing matter, then to get laid off would be devestating if you had kids.

But yeah CME is just trying to get by like other small developers by starting a Ponzi/Pyramid scheme to pay off the few employees left. Happens all the time in the MMORPG industry, right?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• ZhirocZhiroc Member UncommonPosts: 220

I'm not placing a lot of confidence in that site nowadays. It was pretty accurate through the end of last year, given Auspex's blog entry, but it's not clear what the real status is at the moment. If I had to wager a guess, it is probably someone who was laid off/quit but hasn't been given the pay they were owed. But it could just be that someone neglected the site.

However, what I do notice is that the devs do not login to the forums with any great regularity. Using the "Last Visit" datestamp, I see only 5-7 that do so more or less daily, and 3 of those are Community Managers. I see a couple more that log in weekly.  Another few that only log in monthly. Another 18 or so who logged in at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb who hadn't logged in since late last year. In all, only about 30 have logged in since the new year. There's also only been one new CME staff forum user since the end of Sept.

I'm not sure what to make of this. It could be that staff have been told to avoid the forums. There's not a lot of constructive stuff going on there these days. But then again, if they are around and working, and would engage in the few "ideas" posts, it would certainly help their image.

It all just gives the impression of a very dead place.

The last game that I saw that went through such a "dead time" was Middle Earth Online, just before Turbine bought the complete rights to it from VU and reworked it into LOTRO. But this was all pre-beta. I suppose that maybe something like that could be going on, but then that would really hammer all those MMOGULs folks if Whiting really did sell off the franchise.

• KyriesunsetKyriesunset Member Posts: 162

In breaking news, I came across a Stargate Worlds tee-shirt at the local GoodWill in the men's department.   

Now don't panic, yes, yes I bought it.   Just wished I had my iPhone with me to take that sad picture.

• supremeaaronsupremeaaron Member UncommonPosts: 189

I dont think the days without pay site is valid anymore due to a simple whois search I did. Heres the link for proof whois.domaintools.com/days-since-cheyenne-mountain-employees-have-been-paid.com If you take a look at the link it shows the status as locked and the website was never updated since its creation.

That's just the domain name record. Once set up, it is typically not updated unless a contact name changes, or the domain is renewed. I believe that Locked simply means that the record is protected against transfer, but even if I am wrong, this relates to the DNS entry and not the website itself.

I've already speculated on how relevant the data being presented still is....

• supremeaaronsupremeaaron Member UncommonPosts: 189

Maybe your right. But we really dont have anough info to truely say the site is still true or just left there forgoten by the creator. The simple fact is we truely have no 100% factual information.

As I posted on the SGW forum:

Aruspex just updated his blog today, saying that CME had paid him "a bit ago". Thus, it seems that back pay is flowing. Whether that means everyone is up to date or not is unknown, but I would now put that other website in a questionable status.
    But this still means that the days-since site was probably accurate from the time it started to sometime after the new year, perhaps as late as Feb.
  • PuglaPugla Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Zhiroc

As I posted on the SGW forum:

Aruspex just updated his blog today, saying that CME had paid him "a bit ago". Thus, it seems that back pay is flowing. Whether that means everyone is up to date or not is unknown, but I would now put that other website in a questionable status.
    But this still means that the days-since site was probably accurate from the time it started to sometime after the new year, perhaps as late as Feb.

This coupled with the rumor of MGM involvement is good news. I hope something gets announced soon. People are starting to find out that the company that runs the data centers for CME have filed suit for unpaid debts (link - search for Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment). It's only going to stir the pot again if somebody doesn't do something.

Geeked for FFXIV
    Freelance FFXIV guide author for Ten Ton Hammer.com

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Makes sense since CME fired their only lead database manager I think it was? Seems that CME and SGW is going into hibernation mode to me!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis