Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sure, Batman can lift a car right?

daadamodaadamo Member UncommonPosts: 135

Every one of the videos I have seen, every character can lift a freakin car...am I wrong? So according to everything I have seen so far, I can make a character who is inspired by Batman that can lift cars and jump 400 feet? It's just wrong.

Comments

• JKnight1JKnight1 Member Posts: 72

Who's forcing you to lift a car as a Batman inspired hero?

• daadamodaadamo Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Originally posted by JKnight1

You miss the point. Even if my character is inspired by Woozy Winks, everyone CAN lift a car and if they have acrobatics can jump 400 feet and stick to walls. You don't see this as a problem?

Being that it's a video and in no way actually states EVERYONE can, and the fact they are normally used to show OFF what you can do, it's not fact that everyone CAN do all that.

Understand that?

I am assuming with the car, since every video they have shown the character has lifted a car, regardless of their power set. As for the giant leaping, they actually stated in the last vide that everyone with acrobatics as a travel power could leap huge distances as well as cling to walls and buildings.

Yes, I understand that, debate, don't be a dick.

Not being a dick, just relatively blunt.

relatively blunt? That's what we're calling it these days. lol, ok. I will give you the benifit of the doubt. I begin to think that all you want to do is play the Devil's Advocate. Is this the five minute argument or the full half hour?

• LordCaptainLordCaptain Member Posts: 178

His point was that just because you have seen them do it in every video that you have seen, doesn't mean every charecter can do that. Maybe they have sepcial builds where they have every ability for demo purposes? It's not a stretch.

You seem to be latching onto a minor issue since there has been nothing I have seen, or you have even eluded to, that says every charecter will have Super Strength.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Your powers 'can' be inspired by another hero, or you can just pick what you want.

You also have skill points that you can assign to skills that you want to use. The more skill points you spend on a skill, the weaker another skill becomes.

So if you want to pickup cars and the such, you might have to sacrifice proficiency in other skills to do so.

There are about 8 dev videos out there where they explain this feature and talk about power/skill sets.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

Understandably, I worry simply because that's ALL they have shown. I hope I am proved wrong. Till they show more than what they have I will be skeptical. I'll keep fllowing it.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

I remember Batman, (Adam west) lifting up the front end,(not the whole thing) of a car, to save someone, (wouldn’t know who, properly Robin) on TV, (about 30 years ago(Monday afternoon, about 3’o’clock after school(channel Nine)

But to answer the Op's question, I wouldn't worry to much about it, remember as much as we all like to believe in promo's, demo's and sneak peeks as a," This is what the game will be like when released!' we all know from experience that this is just not true, that they rarely are that accurate to what a game is really like on release, with that said, the same goes for what we Don’t like in promo's, demo's etc.. chances are it will have been corrected or deleted or changed into something else, by the time we all get to play with it, also now that you have made us aware of it, we will be watching the game to see if you were right or wrong, ether way I’m sure some of the other posters will be back to let you know about it.

• BindoxBindox Member UncommonPosts: 2

Having been a dev on other games, as well as a game tester, I can tell you that those viseos are probably from testing skills. When someone does that, they give the test character EVERY ability to see how they work while interacting with other characters, NPC's, objects, etc.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

the car thing may be true

I did see a video or read an interview where they said not everyone will be able to lift a bus

strength (or whatever its called) will influence WHAT you can pick up -- everyone cant pickup everything

• StimpletonStimpleton Member Posts: 3

Basically its like the Starcraft2 demo vid of Protoss vs Terran.

Vid was designed to show off what abilities are there but not in a balanced format. They said it openly in the video when showing the "mothership" abilites.

Don't panic yet, maybe some of the other skills aren't ready to show

• XundusXundus Member Posts: 1

About the car thing. Not everyone can lift a car. You need to spend points in the superstrength trait to be able to lift cars, or even buses. You can see a small explanation about superstrength and the other traits around  4:20 of this video.

www.gametrailers.com/player/44249.html

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

I've seen several videos with DCUO devs stating that everyone can do certain things, and lifting a car is one of them. Hopefully the fact that everyone can lift a car will change come release time. Granted, these vids are all from July of 08. The devs have to know that this just doesn't make a lot of sense, and I'm confident they will make good choices concerning this great looking title.

Thanks for the link on gametrailers.com Xundus, it was probably the best one I've seen to date, and cleared up quite a bit for me.

Joined - July 2004

• SturmrabeSturmrabe Member Posts: 927

SOE does not care about continuity, lore, continuity with lore, depth, subtility, and texture. All they care about is money... this is a superhero game, and no matter how much you like Batman or Iron Man type "real guys with no power but still heros" type chars, you can hang them up...

If everyone wants pewpewlazorz, everyone gets pewpewlazorz, or lightsabers as the case may be...

imageimage
    Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood. -Nietzsche

• themiltonthemilton Member Posts: 353

So frickin' what?! Even if Batman is able to lift cars, it could be easily explained by enhancements to the Batsuit that give added strength and joint support. Granted, it's not the strongest of explanations, but it works.

-------------
    The less you expect, the more you'll be surprised. Hopefully, pleasantly so.

• GreenroomGreenroom Member Posts: 2

Wait and see is always the answer whether we like it or not.

I'm hoping they dont take out the "humans with no powers" aspect.  There are a lot of points that they will need to build on within the game.  How does a Batman-Green Arrow type get from Star City to Metropolis?  They aren't next door and can't fly.

If I create one of my characters to be human with no powers but a lotta gadgets then I hope they will have built into the game a way for me to acheive a "craft" or "vehicle" for me to ride or fly to the next location.  Otherwise we are going to have to have the human heroes carried by the others or transported there by magic.

So I for SURE see your point as well as the wall climbing etc.  These are points I'm expecting to be worked out or "evolved" within the game after it is released.

I dont want my human character climbing walls, throwing cars or flying without an explanation.

Peace everyone

Love the little tantrums by the way.  really cute.

I dont have a signature and could use one but I'm don't know how to make one so if anyone would like to help out I'm all about charity.

• ILty-CatILty-Cat Member Posts: 39

Oh my god. What's with you people assuming and then bashing things because you assumed?

If you LISTEN to the vids. They say the reason they can jump 400 feet or whatever in the air is because they chose to have acrobat powers and such. :/

I'm pretty sure that lifting a car is also a power choice.

Also, They are going offa the COMICS for batman and them not the shows. Go read all the comics and make sure that batman's suit doesn't give him extra strength in the comics before you run around bashing things. <3

Gosh..

Can't we just all get along? >D

/\*. "Pew Pew"
    | | `.
    | | *>|o

Darkfall = Epic fail.

• HathiHathi Member Posts: 236
    Originally posted by themilton

So frickin' what?! Even if Batman is able to lift cars, it could be easily explained by enhancements to the Batsuit that give added strength and joint support. Granted, it's not the strongest of explanations, but it works.

Exactly, want to lift cars without genetic human strength.  RP that you have gadgets or enhaced armor. I doubt we will be seeing Batman in a cutscene lifting things like that or if you are fighting alongside him that he will be fighting like that. However, in superhero gmes you can customize to your hearts content

Finally - Best site for Chuck Norris
    http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by daadamo

Originally posted by JKnight1

You miss the point. Even if my character is inspired by Woozy Winks, everyone CAN lift a car and if they have acrobatics can jump 400 feet and stick to walls. You don't see this as a problem?

I only see a problem with making a post that speaks to actual play mechanics that haven't been experienced yet, I would agree it would be a bit lame if that's how the game worked but i've seen nothing that said it would be that way it appears you have seen a bunch of shots and began letting your imagination run wild making assumptioins about the game which doesn't really require debate yet

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by ILty-Cat

Oh my god. What's with you people assuming and then bashing things because you assumed?

If you LISTEN to the vids. They say the reason they can jump 400 feet or whatever in the air is because they chose to have acrobat powers and such. :/
    Also, They are going offa the COMICS for batman and them not the shows. Go read all the comics and make sure that batman's suit doesn't give him extra strength in the comics before you run around bashing things. <3

Gosh..

Have you even read a Batman comic?

First of all, Batman is top trained in gymnastics, weight training, science and chemistry, a hundred different styles of martial arts, and acrobatics. Yet he sure don't jump 400 feet in the air.

And his suit does NOT give added strength or any other bonus to his physical attributes. Batman is an ideal specimen of human ability. If you get close enough to cut him, his suit rips and he bleeds. He doesn't wear armor, unlike the movies where they use guys like Michael keaton and Christian Bale who most definitely do not have the bulk or capabilities of the Batman. Could you imagine putting Bale or Keaton in a skin tight Batman outfit? They'd never measure up as a "believeable" Batman, so they get padded armor to make up for it. And still don't match what he looks like in the comics.

If you want to see a real example of what Batman is represented on film, then watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjp0I_okX0w I'ts a 15 minute fan film called "Batman: Dead End", based on the Batman vs. Alien vs. Predator storyline from a few years back. Not only does it show the Batman just as he is in the comics, but is the best representation of him on film I've ever seen.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190
    Originally posted by Zorvan

Gosh..

First of all, Batman is top trained in gymnastics, weight training, science and chemistry, a hundred different styles of martial arts, and acrobatics. Yet he sure don't jump 400 feet in the air.

And his suit does NOT give added strength or any other bonus to his physical attributes. Batman is an ideal specimen of human ability. If you get close enough to cut him, his suit rips and he bleeds. He doesn't wear armor, unlike the movies where they use guys like Michael keaton and Christian Bale who most definitely do not have the bulk or capabilities of the Batman. Could you imagine putting Bale or Keaton in a skin tight Batman outfit? They'd never measure up as a "believeable" Batman, so they get padded armor to make up for it. And still don't match what he looks like in the comics.

If you want to see a real example of what Batman is represented on film, then watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjp0I_okX0w I'ts a 15 minute fan film called "Batman: Dead End", based on the Batman vs. Alien vs. Predator storyline from a few years back. Not only does it show the Batman just as he is in the comics, but is the best representation of him on film I've ever seen.

It's pretty clear you don't read the comics. Batman's "normal suit" is made of a new age type of Kelvar that WayneTech made. It isn't cloth. It hasn't been cloth in nearly 30 years. Even when it WAS cloth he still had the chest area armored.

And Batman DOES have super suits, he just doesn't like using them since he relies on fear over raw power and he would trade that fear if he was just another guy in a power suit like Steel/Iron Man/etc. Besides the Batman Beyond suit came from somewhere.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

being that batman is a martial artist technology hero and the modern technology of today i see no problem with batman lifting a car and sticking to walls.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

Originally posted by Zorvan

Gosh..

It's pretty clear you don't read the comics. Batman's "normal suit" is made of a new age type of Kelvar that WayneTech made. It isn't cloth. It hasn't been cloth in nearly 30 years. Even when it WAS cloth he still had the chest area armored.

And Batman DOES have super suits, he just doesn't like using them since he relies on fear over raw power and he would trade that fear if he was just another guy in a power suit like Steel/Iron Man/etc. Besides the Batman Beyond suit came from somewhere.

The Batman Beyond suit? Are you referring to the futuristic one worn by the kid ( which has nothing to do with THE Batman ) or the mechanical one worn by an aged Bruce ( which he created to compensate for reduced strength and agility )? Neither one have anything to do with modern day Batman.

And the only real "power suit" used by "Batman" was the suit created and used by Jean Paul Valley ( Azrael ) when he claimed the mantle of the bat after Bane broke Bruce/Batman's spine. Bruce himself despised the suit ( especially the fact it was built for mayhem and destruction, not protection ) and rightly ridiculed Jean Paul for wearing it. There have been a few occasions when Batman has augmented himself with an exoskeleton when faced with a truly powerful super vllian, but those times are few and far between. Hell, he even defeated Superman without any power armor.

As for the "kevlar" in his cloth suit, did you notice I said "If you get close enough to cut him, his suit rips and he bleeds."? The kevlar ( which the main "advancement" over normal real life kevlar was the fact of it's malleability and light weight ) protects him from lower caliber ammunition including small rifle rounds, but not from large caliber projectiles or sharp objects, keeping in line with real life kevlar limitations as well as keeping him "vulnerable and human" in the readers eyes.

Edit: