Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

my neutral reasons why AoC is the best MMO as of now !

1356

Comments

  • CyntheCynthe Dawson Creek, BCPosts: 1,410Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by clearSam

    Originally posted by Naranar


    i cant argue with you.
    you want a bug free software !  which means you will never be satisfied.
    doesnt exist yet ! sorry

     

    Oh really and where did i stated that?

    If you would bother stop pulling things from your *** and read what I'm saying maybe we could get somewhere.

    All i want is a patch that

    -Wont make me disconnect every 10 minutes

    -Wont Make me lag spike every 2 minutes

    All in all i want a game that is playable... something game wasn't after patch as it wans't at launch 

    Oh and tell me of that server of yours I'm really hooked in!

    if you dont like the way i talk or simply dont like me then thats fine, its not really relevant to the subject,

    but i cant picture all the players getting spikes every 2mn and disconnection every 10mn.

    no seriously, did that happen to you or youre just making that up?

    cause if thats true then im the only one not having spikes and disconnections o_0

     

     It's completely true and happened to me as well. Obviously it didn't happen to many after the hotfix but there was still some sort of issue with a few of us.

    As for your LotrO rant up there. All I'm saying is your devaluing  a game that is doing very well with an undeniably bigger community then AoC for no good reason at all. It's ok to like AoC better then LotrO but not to say it's a marginally better game. It really isn't. Don't think that means AoC is bad either. I've expressed many times how I love aspects of this game.

    And yes I misunderstood you on your franchise stance, however your own argument falls flat since if you go by that logic then AoC fails and will keep failing. Hopefully that won't be the case.

    (,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

  • AbrahmmAbrahmm ., DEPosts: 2,448Member
    Originally posted by clearSam

    Originally posted by Abrahmm


    Let me get this straight. AoC  is the best game because it has great graphics, good sounds, and potential? Did I miss you talking about the actual important parts of a game, like the actual game play, the game world, and the content? All of which AoC severely underachieves on?
    No, your right this is the best game.

    no you didnt miss, you actually skipped everything i said.

     

    I didn't skip anything, you just didn't say much of value. You made claims that AOC is the best MMO because of it's graphics, sound, and potential. Thats a pretty horrible basis for whether a game is good or not.

    Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

  • clearSamclearSam chicago, ILPosts: 304Member
    Originally posted by Cynthe

    Originally posted by clearSam

    Originally posted by Naranar


    i cant argue with you.
    you want a bug free software !  which means you will never be satisfied.
    doesnt exist yet ! sorry

     

    Oh really and where did i stated that?

    If you would bother stop pulling things from your *** and read what I'm saying maybe we could get somewhere.

    All i want is a patch that

    -Wont make me disconnect every 10 minutes

    -Wont Make me lag spike every 2 minutes

    All in all i want a game that is playable... something game wasn't after patch as it wans't at launch 

    Oh and tell me of that server of yours I'm really hooked in!

    if you dont like the way i talk or simply dont like me then thats fine, its not really relevant to the subject,

    but i cant picture all the players getting spikes every 2mn and disconnection every 10mn.

    no seriously, did that happen to you or youre just making that up?

    cause if thats true then im the only one not having spikes and disconnections o_0

     

     It's completely true and happened to me as well. Obviously it didn't happen to many after the hotfix but there was still some sort of issue with a few of us.

    As for your LotrO rant up there. All I'm saying is your devaluing  a game that is doing very well with an undeniably bigger community then AoC for no good reason at all. It's ok to like AoC better then LotrO but not to say it's a marginally better game. It really isn't. Don't think that means AoC is bad either. I've expressed many times how I love aspects of this game.

    And yes I misunderstood you on your franchise stance, however your own argument falls flat since if you go by that logic then AoC fails and will keep failing. Hopefully that won't be the case.

    ok, and supose you got disconnected 10 times right after the patch? would that imply that the game sucks? what kind of reasoning is this? or is it because its Funcom?

    i remember well when CCP launched Quantum rise expan... there were bigger issues, but yet, nobody was bitching like these guys in here... it seems that some people  just got used to it.

    ************

    yes, i personally think that AoC was and is still a failure compairing to the franchise, i never claimed otherwise.

    even though LoR is much heavier than Conan.

    while Funcom at least invested in heavy gfx and REAL music (and you know that those are very costly) LoR was fitted with an ok engine and was poorly produced leaning heavily on the LoR franchise name and on the movie  fan base to sell.

    and thats where potential comes to play, AoC can be fixed while LoTRO cant ! they simply need to recreate everything with high productive quality and make LoTRO 2 if they want to pull it out. 

     

    so there is no rant up, only facts and numbers, if LoTRO was well made, it should have been the biggest mmo to ever hit the market, its clearly not, loving it and advcocating for it will not change reality.

  • BarCrowBarCrow Tampa, FLPosts: 2,212Member
    Originally posted by Loke666


    I agree with the OP about AoCs good points. However the game still needs another year because the content is still kinda small.
    Graphics can BTW be improved but it is hard work that takes a long time.
    That AoC misses some of the things that was supposed to be in since launch is off course annoying but not that of a big deal. As I see it is the big problems right now that we need a lot more content both high end and low end.
    Low end content because repetition is boring and when you create an alt you will do almost the same quests as your old character, with the exception of lvl 20-30. That makes level up an alt boring compared to games like EQ2 and Wow where you can level up an alt without doing any quest your main did.
    And high end content, there just ain't enough of it. Even with OT: Common it still needs more.
    These things will be fixed eventually but I think AoC will need an expansion or even 2 to reach it's potential. The good news is that it is fun to play, particulary in groups so it will be intresting to see where the game are in 2 years.
    Someone said that AoC was made for Hardcore PvP:ers but I kinda doubt that, there was speculations of that since launch but other games are doing that better. Average PvP is fun but not as good as in Guildwars at the moment. But the game is still evolving so we will see where it ends up, but I kinda doubt it will ever be truly "hardcore", players who wants that will probably be more happy about Darkfall.
    And while I am at it, a screenshot of Ymirs pass, the first large outdoor zone added in the game:

    Thank you...finally..a response that makes sense. ..not just...."NO BARROOM BRAWLING"...and "WORST LAUNCH EVERZ"..GO AWAY FAILCOM". You make good points and I agree........I myself...really like the game..is it perfect?..no. Over the next  year..with more updates and patches it will only get better. Will I be playing it in a year?..who knows.. A lot of mmo's coming out and I am not rich. Chances are it will still be one of my active mmos.

     

    To the OP: I like LotrO too..but agree with your assessment. I think it is a beautifully made game and mostly fun to play...but the middle-earth stories are finite. There is an obvious end to the story. how many times is the ring going to be thrown in the volcano...lol. The great thing about Conan is it was many short stories...with no definitive ending..which leaves much more to the imagination when playing the game.. .imo.

  • clearSamclearSam chicago, ILPosts: 304Member
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

    Originally posted by clearSam

    Originally posted by Abrahmm


    Let me get this straight. AoC  is the best game because it has great graphics, good sounds, and potential? Did I miss you talking about the actual important parts of a game, like the actual game play, the game world, and the content? All of which AoC severely underachieves on?
    No, your right this is the best game.

    no you didnt miss, you actually skipped everything i said.

     

    I didn't skip anything, you just didn't say much of value. You made claims that AOC is the best MMO because of it's graphics, sound, and potential. Thats a pretty horrible basis for whether a game is good or not.

    thats exactly what i said and you are still skipping what i wrote.

    ok since you dont wanna read all that stuff  here is a resume:

    ALL parts are important in a game, there is no important and less important part in a game.

    -great gameplay with 0 anything else = maple story

    -great graphics and music with quasi 0 everything else = AoC at launch

     

    thats what i said, the only diffrence is potential, while AoC can get extra content and better mechanics (not sure but very possible) Maple story CAN NOT get what AoC have because of logistical (player base) and technical delimiters, they will have to recreate the game or make a new one if they wanna enhance it.

     

  • FadeToBlack3FadeToBlack3 Guelph, ONPosts: 89Member

    Potential does not equal the best now, it equals a chance for the future.

    Wolfenpride: <--Giant fucking sword syndrome.

    Probably cause im trying to compensate for miniscule manhood.

  • AbrahmmAbrahmm ., DEPosts: 2,448Member
    Originally posted by clearSam

    Originally posted by Abrahmm

    Originally posted by clearSam

    Originally posted by Abrahmm


    Let me get this straight. AoC  is the best game because it has great graphics, good sounds, and potential? Did I miss you talking about the actual important parts of a game, like the actual game play, the game world, and the content? All of which AoC severely underachieves on?
    No, your right this is the best game.

    no you didnt miss, you actually skipped everything i said.

     

    I didn't skip anything, you just didn't say much of value. You made claims that AOC is the best MMO because of it's graphics, sound, and potential. Thats a pretty horrible basis for whether a game is good or not.

    thats exactly what i said and you are still skipping what i wrote.

    ok since you dont wanna read all that stuff  here is a resume:

    ALL parts are important in a game, there is no important and less important part in a game.

    -great gameplay with 0 anything else = maple story

    -great graphics and music with quasi 0 everything else = AoC at launch

     

    thats what i said, the only diffrence is potential, while AoC can get extra content and better mechanics (not sure but very possible) Maple story CAN NOT get what AoC have because of logistical (player base) and technical delimiters, they will have to recreate the game or make a new one if they wanna enhance it.

     

     

    And yet, by this statement, you are claiming AoC to be the best based on something you know absolutely nothing about. You have no idea how well AoC was programmed, and how well it can be enhanced. You have no idea how hard or easy it is to change any games core mechanics. Truth be told, with enough work, any game can be made into nearly anything. You simply don't know how well AoC can be enhanced given it's current technical designs, and therefore your idea of "potential" is either completely baseless as all games have potential, or a complete assumption.

    Calling AoC the "Best MMO out now" is a bold statement, and you have very very little to back it up with. Potential is as worthless as hopes, wishes and dreams.

    Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

  • blindside044blindside044 Sacramento, CAPosts: 250Member
    Originally posted by clearSam


     

    • Sound and Music


    • Graphics

    bugs can be fixed, content can be added, but gfx can NOT be enhanced.


    • Lore

     I think the free world was in real need of something other than Elfs VS Humans VS Orcs VS Gobblins VS Dwarfs... so it was about time someone gets creative again.


    • Potential

    As a whole, AoC is the game with most potential on the market, while some people argue that other fantasy mmos have more potential, i see AoC as the only one that have a REAL potential of being an EPIC mmo not just another mmo, without going into details, we know that WoW have nowhere to go but down! LOTRO, and with all my respect to the (LoR franchise) is useless, WAR is well... just another ok MMO with nothing else but PvP 24/7... 

    WoW and LoTRO have the most arrogant companies behid them, which makes any positive feedback from users quasi impossible, and even more, the user base is indeed very young, and therfore not to be taken seriously...

     



     

    *my OPINIONS (kinda like the original post was ;) ) are coming from a month of play (cancelled about a month ago)* (note: I enjoyed the combat and just the general gameplay, but a lot of the content was boring. I do plan on subbing in the future as I do like the core game, just not a lot of content.. I hope a lot is added and improved :) )

    - Sound and Music: Didn't find anything that stood out. It was all good, but nothing stood out for me to say, "Wow, this game has really good sound/music". The only time I have said that was in one certain area (certain parts in Evendim) in LoTRO. In terms of environment though, LoTRO easily takes the cake. I LOVE exploring in that game whereas in AoC there where a decent amount of areas I just wanted to get out of cause it was just... lifeless.. boring.

    - GFX: I play all games with gfx maxed out and AoC is 'tied' with LoTRO. Both have awesome gfx, but they are different artistic styles... so I can't really say one is better than the other. It's personal preference between the two and I PREFER LoTRO's over AoC's. And regarding the gfx cannot be enhanced comment: see Eve Online.  :)  ...though it pretty much never happens other than that one time  :P

    - Lore: Once again, personal preference but I too am a little tired of seeing the same races in pretty much every game. Though it doesn't bother me in LoTRO because, well... it is the LoTR, the original, the king of anything fantasy.  :)  How can you NOT like LoTR?!? The stories are fantastic! (see that personal preference right there :) ) The quest storylines are very well written and really immsersive whereas AoC just felt generic.

    - Potentional: yea... without going into ANY details, this point was pretty much useless. What potentional? I know I can't fucken wait till Turbine expands Middle Earth in LoTRO... and we get into some of the most epic and legendary areas in all of fantasy lore!

     edit: From my post it almost sounded like I am saying AoC sucks, which it doesnt. It's actually one of the very fews MMOs I have enjoyed playing (and I have tried A LOT). Enough fun content just wasnt there... like I said, a couple more content updates and im resubbing. But it definitely is not the best MMO out as of now.  :)

  • _Shadowmage_Shadowmage MelbournePosts: 1,459Member


    Originally posted by clearSam
    now clearly LoTRO is doing... hmmm just ok. which means it is not a great success, and since we agree that the franchise is outstanding  that could only mean that its development and production were massive failures.

    and i think you misunderstood me when i talked about LoR franchise, i didnt say that LoTRO is bad because its based on a franchise, i said that : IF you give a company a BIG FAT franchise title like LoR (the biggest and fattest) and they make out of it an "ok" game then IT is a failure.

    So you are saying LOTRO is a failure because it has a really big franchise but more subs than AOC?

    That would make AOC a total disaster as it has a poor franchise and worse subs than LOTRO.

    we know that WoW have nowhere to go but down!


    Really - how do you know this? WoW added more than a million players last year, and the base game and the expansion were the two best selling PC games for 2008. So both sold more copies than AOC or WAR.

    Three of my work colleagues have gone back to playing WoW - after trying AoC and WAR. Prior to the expansion they hadnt played WoW in over a year.

    I would say the only MMO title coming out that stands to gather serious numbers is the Bioware - Star Wars mmo. Great company, great franchise.
  • NetbuddyNetbuddy MelbournePosts: 17Member

    Ill probably give it another go when they put out a free trial. I played at launch, actually enjoyed it for the most part. Loved the atmosphere etc. But then the game imploded, my guild quit, as did most of the server and I lost interest at that point. Now with the merges I should have people to play with. Just dont feel like punting $20 on it at this stage.

    I think they should put out a 14 day free trial just after they release DX10 upgrade, get in on the hype that its going to bring, cause the slick new graphics will get substantial coverage. So a couple months from now I imagine.

  • blindside044blindside044 Sacramento, CAPosts: 250Member

    note regarding LoTRO's 'success', or lack of... It's not because the game "is not that good",(Turbine actually did a fantastic job on it), the marketing completely sucked.. and I mean COMPLETELY sucked.. or do I mean, 'What marketing?'. Barely anyone even knew the game came out, or that its even out currently. I first heard of the game about 6 months AFTER it released, and I cant tell you the amount times I have heard, "wow, this game is really fun, why havent I ever heard of it? (or why didn't anyone tell me about this game?)" ...Turbine's marketing staff needs to be fired. They fucked up a huge oppurtunity to have a massive amount of subs. At work I got plenty of, "people actually play that game, I never hear about it" ...even though the game gets a lot of good reviews. so yea... Turbine's marketing team fucked up big time.
    But anyways, back to AoC... :)

  • NexusCZNexusCZ PraguePosts: 56Member

    i did use buddy pass from my frozen account: game run very smooth.

    Im probably going to resub to have some fun again, i realy enjoyed the game as it was.



    Wias shame i did buy collectors edition + 3months then play 1month :-) i have to stop cause i does not work so much when playing aoc.

     

  • NaranarNaranar PraguePosts: 97Member
    Originally posted by clearSam


    if you dont like the way i talk or simply dont like me then thats fine, its not really relevant to the subject,
    Yeah? So what you are saying is not relevant to subject so then what is relevant ? tell me
    but i cant picture all the players getting spikes every 2mn and disconnection every 10mn.
    no seriously, did that happen to you or youre just making that up?
    Maybe you could pay a visit to Technical forums there are plenty of reports from the D-day
    cause if thats true then im the only one not having spikes and disconnections o_0
     And yet you failed again read I'm saying the lag spikes and aswell disc are gone now but if you didn't had any problems after patch then you are lying because if you can connect to a offline server maybe you could tell me how to do it. 
     

     

  • TheStingTheSting StockholmPosts: 107Member
    Originally posted by clearSam


     


    • Lore

     I think the free world was in real need of something other than Elfs VS Humans VS Orcs VS Gobblins VS Dwarfs... so it was about time someone gets creative again.

    it is very clear that the game respects the geographical properties especial in human NPCs, names for instance are carefully chosen with respect to the culture. in most other games especially the ones directed for European/ NA audiences, those smaller details are left to developement hazard... i, personally dont like being taken for an idiot, so if an M rated game have a Chineese NPC called Yamato which is purely Japanese, ill be very pissed.... cause that totally kills the buzz.

     

    I personally believe Funcom did a horrible job with the lore. I really do.

    They had Conan the Barbarian, the coolest hero ever created. Also they had Hyboria, an interesting, evil place full of super cool stuff. What they did with it was create this.. place that looks like WoW with better graphics.

    Every Conan fan I've talked to agrees with me on this. Like me they all have been disappointed with Funcoms vision of Hyboria. They had a chance to make the first truly "evil" and mature MMO but instead they chose to do a watered down version in hopes to get more kids to play. I've played AoC for a long time and not once have I been scared. AoC is like a day in the park.

    It's really disappointing.

  • LothloreLothlore greensburg, PAPosts: 34Member

     

      The hate of AoC reminds me vividly of some years ago,and another game, Asheron's Call 2.  There was much well-deserved vitriol cast at AC2 at it's launch and it remained pretty awful for a long time. What  strikes me as different  from what happened with that game and AoC  was that AC2 never survived the cloud it had put itself under even though they kept plugging-away at it and honestly,imo, by the time they had shut it down because of  deserted-servers it was actually good and fun to play but it was to little too late. The hate was just too strong, and soon took on a life of it's own. Nothing Turbine might have done for AC2  could have saved it at that point,  when the game remained so flawed  well into it's 2nd year.

     Fast-Forward to AoC and I notice one very important difference and that is not just that they are making improvements (if what I am reading is correct on these and other forums) but the tone of many of the postings seem to be less negative and more optimistic and lead me to think  that whatever may have happened at the launch of this game it has obviously improved and I look forward to trying it out,probably after the next update,possibly 2 (I am not an early-adopter of new mmo's,so I avoided the launch last year). At any rate  while I realize that many still are busy hating on AoC,each for their own reasons there is a growing number of positive comments indicating that AoC has been put on the right track and if they keep it there, there is reason to think  that unlike AC2 they will survive the poor launch it had. I  will certainly be trying the game out when trials start and see for myself. I can hardly wait   : )

     

                                                                                                                                                                                        Lothlore

  • clearSamclearSam chicago, ILPosts: 304Member
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

    Originally posted by clearSam

    Originally posted by Abrahmm

    Originally posted by clearSam

    Originally posted by Abrahmm


    Let me get this straight. AoC  is the best game because it has great graphics, good sounds, and potential? Did I miss you talking about the actual important parts of a game, like the actual game play, the game world, and the content? All of which AoC severely underachieves on?
    No, your right this is the best game.

    no you didnt miss, you actually skipped everything i said.

     

    I didn't skip anything, you just didn't say much of value. You made claims that AOC is the best MMO because of it's graphics, sound, and potential. Thats a pretty horrible basis for whether a game is good or not.

    thats exactly what i said and you are still skipping what i wrote.

    ok since you dont wanna read all that stuff  here is a resume:

    ALL parts are important in a game, there is no important and less important part in a game.

    -great gameplay with 0 anything else = maple story

    -great graphics and music with quasi 0 everything else = AoC at launch

     

    thats what i said, the only diffrence is potential, while AoC can get extra content and better mechanics (not sure but very possible) Maple story CAN NOT get what AoC have because of logistical (player base) and technical delimiters, they will have to recreate the game or make a new one if they wanna enhance it.

     

     

    And yet, by this statement, you are claiming AoC to be the best based on something you know absolutely nothing about. You have no idea how well AoC was programmed, and how well it can be enhanced. You have no idea how hard or easy it is to change any games core mechanics. Truth be told, with enough work, any game can be made into nearly anything. You simply don't know how well AoC can be enhanced given it's current technical designs, and therefore your idea of "potential" is either completely baseless as all games have potential, or a complete assumption.

    Calling AoC the "Best MMO out now" is a bold statement, and you have very very little to back it up with. Potential is as worthless as hopes, wishes and dreams.

    hmmm, can you plz stop arguing and start reading a little bit what i write before? or do i have to repost again?

  • MindTriggerMindTrigger La Quinta, CAPosts: 2,596Member
    Originally posted by Deadman87


     

    Originally posted by MindTrigger
     
    The design of the game world sucks.  When you explore it, you feel like you are in a linear, 'on rails' fps shooter from back in 2001.

     

    Did you even make it out of tortage? Because it sure doesn't sound like it. It isn't the marvelous non instanced wonder that is WoW, but it's definitively not a "linear on rails fps shooter from 2001".

     





    This is a really old picture taken with a geforce 9600, so I hadn't maxed out view distance.

     

    I made it to 50 before I left the game for good.  This game is full of hills and mountains you can't climb and waters you can't swim, invisible walls, etc. I really don't care if I can stand on a hiltop and look across a large area if I can't walk to most of it.

    If this is all fine with you, then by all means, continue to play the game.  Enjoy!

    A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

  • CyntheCynthe Dawson Creek, BCPosts: 1,410Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by clearSam

    Originally posted by Cynthe

    Originally posted by clearSam

    Originally posted by Naranar


    i cant argue with you.
    you want a bug free software !  which means you will never be satisfied.
    doesnt exist yet ! sorry

     

    Oh really and where did i stated that?

    If you would bother stop pulling things from your *** and read what I'm saying maybe we could get somewhere.

    All i want is a patch that

    -Wont make me disconnect every 10 minutes

    -Wont Make me lag spike every 2 minutes

    All in all i want a game that is playable... something game wasn't after patch as it wans't at launch 

    Oh and tell me of that server of yours I'm really hooked in!

    if you dont like the way i talk or simply dont like me then thats fine, its not really relevant to the subject,

    but i cant picture all the players getting spikes every 2mn and disconnection every 10mn.

    no seriously, did that happen to you or youre just making that up?

    cause if thats true then im the only one not having spikes and disconnections o_0

     

     It's completely true and happened to me as well. Obviously it didn't happen to many after the hotfix but there was still some sort of issue with a few of us.

    As for your LotrO rant up there. All I'm saying is your devaluing  a game that is doing very well with an undeniably bigger community then AoC for no good reason at all. It's ok to like AoC better then LotrO but not to say it's a marginally better game. It really isn't. Don't think that means AoC is bad either. I've expressed many times how I love aspects of this game.

    And yes I misunderstood you on your franchise stance, however your own argument falls flat since if you go by that logic then AoC fails and will keep failing. Hopefully that won't be the case.

    ok, and supose you got disconnected 10 times right after the patch? would that imply that the game sucks? what kind of reasoning is this? or is it because its Funcom?



     

    Try to actually read what I'm saying, if you can.

    /throws up hands.

     

    (,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

  • CyntheCynthe Dawson Creek, BCPosts: 1,410Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by clearSam



    hmmm, can you plz stop arguing and start reading a little bit what i write before? or do i have to repost again?

     

    Maybe you should take your own advice.

    (,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

  • Litigator_ABLitigator_AB Edmonton, ABPosts: 311Member
    Originally posted by clearSam


     

    • Sound and Music

    Im not gonna even argue about those, cause the music of AoC is outstanding by general consensus. its one of the few games where you hesitate to turn off the music or even to lower it down... its original, straight to the point, full of context and REAL music not amateur engineered compositions.


    • Graphics

    If there is something that even flamers agree on, is that AoC have the best looking graphics ever to be found in an mmo up to date. some will say, oh but the gfx are not that important, and I say: YES, ITS FREAKING SOOO IMPORTANT, especially in a fantasy mmo where "fantasy" stuff is supposed to happen ! and where you, as a charcter, are supposed to explore and enjoy a world full of odd lore. so yes again: GRAPHYCS ARE VERY IMPORTANT.

    and as someone already said on another thread: in an MMO, content can be and supposed to be added regularly and eventually, but how affen do you see mmos remake their gfx engine?

    bugs can be fixed, content can be added, but gfx can NOT be enhanced.


    • Lore

     I think the free world was in real need of something other than Elfs VS Humans VS Orcs VS Gobblins VS Dwarfs... so it was about time someone gets creative again.

    it is very clear that the game respects the geographical properties especial in human NPCs, names for instance are carefully chosen with respect to the culture. in most other games especially the ones directed for European/ NA audiences, those smaller details are left to developement hazard... i, personally dont like being taken for an idiot, so if an M rated game have a Chineese NPC called Yamato which is purely Japanese, ill be very pissed.... cause that totally kills the buzz.


    • Potential

    As a whole, AoC is the game with most potential on the market, while some people argue that other fantasy mmos have more potential, i see AoC as the only one that have a REAL potential of being an EPIC mmo not just another mmo, without going into details, we know that WoW have nowhere to go but down! LOTRO, and with all my respect to the (LoR franchise) is useless, WAR is well... just another ok MMO with nothing else but PvP 24/7... 

    WoW and LoTRO have the most arrogant companies behid them, which makes any positive feedback from users quasi impossible, and even more, the user base is indeed very young, and therfore not to be taken seriously...

    AoC in the other hand, have Funcom, which used to be called Failcom, simply because they failed to deliver a playable varsion of AoC at launch, so now, after they are done with the internal cleansing, Funcom have no other choice but make AoC an AAA game, deliver its promises and win AoC fans back.

    I, myself was very sceptical a couple of months ago, but after the latest patches and the public announcements that Funcom made, it is clear from a neutral point of view that they are doing a good job so far both in adding new content and getting players feed back from the official forum.

     

     

    I find it hilarious that you said AoC is the best because it has nice music and graphics and a cool background story.  Absolutely zero to do with the actual game (mechanics, depth, game systems, etc.)

    I would say the average poster would read this and say "wow...it has all of this eye candy and yet the game still sucks...that makes it even more of a failure". 

    You see, in the real world, people care less about glitz and more about substance.   Evidence:

    #1:  Put out a crappy movie with fancy special effects and an amazing soundtrack, and the movie will bomb. 

    #2:  Put a fancy cover on fancy paper with a sexy broad on the front of a book...if the book sucks...it will get universally panned.

    #3:  Put cologne in a bottle that smells like skunk and you can have every starlet advertise it in its $50 bottle...and it will be discontinued faster than I can say Failcom.

    You see, AoC has no substance, and that is why it is failing.  For MMOs, RPGs, and RTSs this is especially true.  People by and large care about the game and not the graphics or sound.  How many RTSs failed that had better graphics and sound than Total Annihilation and Age of Kings?  RPGs that looked better than Diablo II?  MMOs that look better than WoW?  Start to see the trend?

    Sigh.

     

  • clearSamclearSam chicago, ILPosts: 304Member
    Originally posted by Cynthe

    Originally posted by clearSam

    Originally posted by Cynthe

    Originally posted by clearSam

    Originally posted by Naranar


    i cant argue with you.
    you want a bug free software !  which means you will never be satisfied.
    doesnt exist yet ! sorry

     

    Oh really and where did i stated that?

    If you would bother stop pulling things from your *** and read what I'm saying maybe we could get somewhere.

    All i want is a patch that

    -Wont make me disconnect every 10 minutes

    -Wont Make me lag spike every 2 minutes

    All in all i want a game that is playable... something game wasn't after patch as it wans't at launch 

    Oh and tell me of that server of yours I'm really hooked in!

    if you dont like the way i talk or simply dont like me then thats fine, its not really relevant to the subject,

    but i cant picture all the players getting spikes every 2mn and disconnection every 10mn.

    no seriously, did that happen to you or youre just making that up?

    cause if thats true then im the only one not having spikes and disconnections o_0

     

     It's completely true and happened to me as well. Obviously it didn't happen to many after the hotfix but there was still some sort of issue with a few of us.

    As for your LotrO rant up there. All I'm saying is your devaluing  a game that is doing very well with an undeniably bigger community then AoC for no good reason at all. It's ok to like AoC better then LotrO but not to say it's a marginally better game. It really isn't. Don't think that means AoC is bad either. I've expressed many times how I love aspects of this game.

    And yes I misunderstood you on your franchise stance, however your own argument falls flat since if you go by that logic then AoC fails and will keep failing. Hopefully that won't be the case.

    ok, and supose you got disconnected 10 times right after the patch? would that imply that the game sucks? what kind of reasoning is this? or is it because its Funcom?



     

    Try to actually read what I'm saying, if you can.

    /throws up hands.

     

    sorry, that was not for you, i know you are not saying that the game sucks, the first part of my post was for @Naranar

     i do read everything you write.

  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Greencastle, INPosts: 2,595Member Uncommon

    OP is now going on 2 days of hypeing Funcoms AOC he is not nutral, and posting alot of negativity on other games complaint filed.

  • TheStingTheSting StockholmPosts: 107Member
    Originally posted by Elsabolts


    OP is now going on 2 days of hypeing Funcoms AOC he is not nutral, and posting alot of negativity on other games complaint filed.

     

    Yeah it's "neutral" reviews like this one that have made these forums almost unbearable. I'm not saying OP is a shill but we've had a lot of these "reviews" were everything is perfect.

    I remember a time when we had real discussion about the game here. Now it's only:

    "OMG teh game is AMAZING!! Go buy it NOW!!!! p.s. this was a neutral review by an average gamer"

    I quit coming to these forums once and I just might have to do it again.

  • clearSamclearSam chicago, ILPosts: 304Member
    Originally posted by TheSting

    Originally posted by Elsabolts


    OP is now going on 2 days of hypeing Funcoms AOC he is not nutral, and posting alot of negativity on other games complaint filed.

     

    Yeah it's "neutral" reviews like this one that have made these forums almost unbearable. I'm not saying OP is a shill but we've had a lot of these "reviews" were everything is perfect.

    I remember a time when we had real discussion about the game here. Now it's only:

    "OMG teh game is AMAZING!! Go buy it NOW!!!! p.s. this was a neutral review by an average gamer"

    I quit coming to these forums once and I just might have to do it again.

    OMG guys, you are killing me here, where did i ever say that AoC is perfect or even close to perfection?

    never said that, so come on... plz

    all i wanted to say is that AoC have good points, and its bad points can be fixed eventually. now, some people over here agree, and others thik that this is just ccrap !

    and thats what forums are for. 

  • clearSamclearSam chicago, ILPosts: 304Member
    Originally posted by Litigator_AB

    Originally posted by clearSam


     

    • Sound and Music

    Im not gonna even argue about those, cause the music of AoC is outstanding by general consensus. its one of the few games where you hesitate to turn off the music or even to lower it down... its original, straight to the point, full of context and REAL music not amateur engineered compositions.


    • Graphics

    If there is something that even flamers agree on, is that AoC have the best looking graphics ever to be found in an mmo up to date. some will say, oh but the gfx are not that important, and I say: YES, ITS FREAKING SOOO IMPORTANT, especially in a fantasy mmo where "fantasy" stuff is supposed to happen ! and where you, as a charcter, are supposed to explore and enjoy a world full of odd lore. so yes again: GRAPHYCS ARE VERY IMPORTANT.

    and as someone already said on another thread: in an MMO, content can be and supposed to be added regularly and eventually, but how affen do you see mmos remake their gfx engine?

    bugs can be fixed, content can be added, but gfx can NOT be enhanced.


    • Lore

     I think the free world was in real need of something other than Elfs VS Humans VS Orcs VS Gobblins VS Dwarfs... so it was about time someone gets creative again.

    it is very clear that the game respects the geographical properties especial in human NPCs, names for instance are carefully chosen with respect to the culture. in most other games especially the ones directed for European/ NA audiences, those smaller details are left to developement hazard... i, personally dont like being taken for an idiot, so if an M rated game have a Chineese NPC called Yamato which is purely Japanese, ill be very pissed.... cause that totally kills the buzz.


    • Potential

    As a whole, AoC is the game with most potential on the market, while some people argue that other fantasy mmos have more potential, i see AoC as the only one that have a REAL potential of being an EPIC mmo not just another mmo, without going into details, we know that WoW have nowhere to go but down! LOTRO, and with all my respect to the (LoR franchise) is useless, WAR is well... just another ok MMO with nothing else but PvP 24/7... 

    WoW and LoTRO have the most arrogant companies behid them, which makes any positive feedback from users quasi impossible, and even more, the user base is indeed very young, and therfore not to be taken seriously...

    AoC in the other hand, have Funcom, which used to be called Failcom, simply because they failed to deliver a playable varsion of AoC at launch, so now, after they are done with the internal cleansing, Funcom have no other choice but make AoC an AAA game, deliver its promises and win AoC fans back.

    I, myself was very sceptical a couple of months ago, but after the latest patches and the public announcements that Funcom made, it is clear from a neutral point of view that they are doing a good job so far both in adding new content and getting players feed back from the official forum.

     

     

    I find it hilarious that you said AoC is the best because it has nice music and graphics and a cool background story.  Absolutely zero to do with the actual game (mechanics, depth, game systems, etc.)

    I would say the average poster would read this and say "wow...it has all of this eye candy and yet the game still sucks...that makes it even more of a failure". 

    You see, in the real world, people care less about glitz and more about substance.   Evidence:

    #1:  Put out a crappy movie with fancy special effects and an amazing soundtrack, and the movie will bomb. 

    #2:  Put a fancy cover on fancy paper with a sexy broad on the front of a book...if the book sucks...it will get universally panned.

    #3:  Put cologne in a bottle that smells like skunk and you can have every starlet advertise it in its $50 bottle...and it will be discontinued faster than I can say Failcom.

    You see, AoC has no substance, and that is why it is failing.  For MMOs, RPGs, and RTSs this is especially true.  People by and large care about the game and not the graphics or sound.  How many RTSs failed that had better graphics and sound than Total Annihilation and Age of Kings?  RPGs that looked better than Diablo II?  MMOs that look better than WoW?  Start to see the trend?

    Sigh.

     

    yes i see clearly your point, fancy gfx and sound are not everything, however, i never said anything contrary to this.

    i said they are important, as any other part of the game.

Sign In or Register to comment.