Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Early Impressions of 1.2

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com Managing Editor Jon Wood reports on three of the most visible features of yesterday's Update 1.2 for Mythic's Warhammer Online, the new map features, the grouping tool and the rally call system.

Last night, I gathered a number of my friends and logged into Warhammer Online not only to check out the new Live Event, but also to see the practical application of those pages and pages of patch notes that bombarded us when we first heard about patch 1.2. In this article, I wanted to share some of my early experiences with the new event, and of course, the new patch.

As it turns out, a great big pile of patch notes would seem to directly relate to the length of time that it takes to download a patch. Yeah, I know, that falls into the “wow, this guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about” category of stupid and obvious things to say. I only note this because up until now, I can’t remember ever really waiting any length of time for a patch to apply with this game. This time, I spent 20-30 minutes waiting to be able to play. Not to worry though, that wasn’t even enough time to go through the condensed patch notes on the game’s launcher. That being said though, a half an hour isn’t really that long relative to most MMOs, I just thought that it was something worth noting.

Read Early Impressions of 1.2

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by sfraden

Sadly, I have no idea about what your saying.  I stopped WAR on Feb 25th (mmm, can we say Darkfall?) and I have no plans to patch WAR or play it again.  Its too little, too late in my book.  I reached level 40 on two characters and felt the lack of any fun endgame.  Since I feel I 'completed' the MMO, Im now done with it.
    Ah well, WAR was fun while it lasted....

Thanks for sharing, but I'm wondering what this has to do with the article in question.  Please don't hijack threads simply because you didn't like the game.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

They guy wasnt trying to hijack anything, I'm with him no clue what your talking about.

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by Zeblade

They guy wasnt trying to hijack anything, I'm with him no clue what your talking about.

Did you read the article, because that pretty much explains it.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

I think that article had some good info for everyone. I don't know what the two posters above have issue with...at all.

ONTOPIC:

Looks like some good changes, but honestly i wonder why they didn't just add a flight master to every warcamp, and added a warcamp for ever zone. While the instant travel is a different approach...i guess it works too.

I will mostlikely come back after a few more patches.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Originally posted by Stradden

Sadly, I have no idea about what your saying.  I stopped WAR on Feb 25th (mmm, can we say Darkfall?) and I have no plans to patch WAR or play it again.  Its too little, too late in my book.  I reached level 40 on two characters and felt the lack of any fun endgame.  Since I feel I 'completed' the MMO, Im now done with it.
    Ah well, WAR was fun while it lasted....

Thanks for sharing, but I'm wondering what this has to do with the article in question.  Please don't hijack threads simply because you didn't like the game.

Touchy :)  Let me be a bit more clear then:

I liked WAR, I have enjoyed it for the past few months, its not a bad game by any standard I can see.  I played a Git shammie and Squig herder both to 40, and enjoyed every single second of it.

As for the article, it is well written, and a pleasure to read.  My point was however that all the content that you wrote about is too late on the part of EA.  For starters, I have no desire to re-roll a new character and play the same content for a third time, so the lure of new classes simply dont appeal to me.  The other new content also has little bearing on me as very few people actually bother with the dungeons.  (why that is, I dont know, I wish they would)

So I apologise if this was viewed as a hijack, it was not intended as such.

So, basically, you just wanted us to know your no longer like the game for reasons that have nothing to do with the article.

Do you have a news letter?

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• jemibanez777jemibanez777 Member Posts: 31

Very nice.

But i'm not sure i like the Rally call feature.

One way that i look at it is that it takes away the ability to outmaneuver (spelling?) your oponents. But on the other hand to defend it, the outmaneuvering isn't happening on the order side on my server.

• emielovicemielovic Member Posts: 11

nice article.

i like the fixes and will play slayer from next week on. i share your irritation on the previous LF system, and I'm happy they improved it.

however the rally call makes orvr a bit more like sc's in my eyes, dunno about that feature ..

well havent played yet, so i'll see :)

• xbellx777xbellx777 Member Posts: 716

well written article it makes me happy that mythic is trying to make the game more enjoyable. i havent played in awhile but i think ill reinstall my game tonight to see how the patch is

• boingedboinged Member UncommonPosts: 161

So the BO timer thing does basically the same as the State of Realm addon? Or will I still need that?

Despite the major nerf my class (WE) has got I'm still looking forward to playing this patch tonight for the improvements to open RVR with the Zone Domination system and fairer loot drops. Also, it's live event time so if my class totally sucks I can at least work towards unlocking the Choppa...

• kalistarkalistar Member UncommonPosts: 46

Thanks for the article. i enjoyed the read. I commend you and your staff for continuing to write unbiased articles about the games we love. It is nice to know WAR is changing for the better and while I no longer play it I am grateful for the fact that i can come here and catch up on all the news of the gaming industry.

thanks again

• ThalosVipavThalosVipav Member Posts: 273

I agree with Kalistar. I now longer play WAR cause it just felt like there was too much missing. And the nerf of WE didnt make me happy either.

But articles like this give me a chance to preview patches and hear what is going on in the game. I am hoping to come back to the game if Mythic keeps fixing and adding things like this.

And...off topic, I am so sick of all the DorkFail fanbois hijacking every thread here just to say how much "X" game sucks and how godly DorkFail is.

Thalos Vipav
    Star Wars Galaxies: R.I.P.

• BoudicaBoudica Member Posts: 7

I haven't really been playing WAR consistently for awhile.. partly because of the little things that become frustrations as they build up..

I'm glad to see they are starting to add a little polish, it just might have me logging in again to take a look..

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Yeah I agree that this was a well written article. I quit playing WAR before my first free month expired because I found the game very tedious to play and the RvR didnt really have any purpose behind it. I just couldnt see what I was fighting for beyond the level progress of my own character and the initial fun factor which seemed to wear off quickly.

However this article has peeked my interest a little bit so I might resubscribe to check it out along with the new classes.....even though I know I'm gonna get bored very quickly but oh well. Who knows maybe in a few years Mythic might actually finish making WAR by including all of the cities that were originally meant to be in the game.

• DopSillypantDopSillypant Member Posts: 21

Hi Jon, nice article, although there was one small mistake that you should correct if only for information integrity;

The maps could always be switched, at the bottom of the map there has always been 3 buttons to switch between World View, Pairing View and Zone View, you can then see any zone from anywhere.  You could also use mousewheel down to "zoom out" the map one layer up, and click in to "zoom in".

For the few people that are considering resubbing to War after this patch, my advice is if you have Rank 40s and were bored, don't resub until they patch in Land of the Dead.  For the others that don't mind starting new characters, make sure you pick a busy server (there are only about 3-4 constantly busy ones) the experience is night and day between a busy server and the many many dying ones.

She cuts me into a thousand beautiful pieces...

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

I love this update

• triprunnertriprunner Member Posts: 169

Nice update, loving the Live Event, good thing Bitch Elves got nerfed, WAR ftw!

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129
    Originally posted by Stradden

Originally posted by Zeblade

Did you read the article, because that pretty much explains it.

I would hate to have your job Stadden, The troll posters are one in the same, just some guy on a alt after he gets a tempory ban. And looking at the history of them, seems they are bitter Darkfall players who got their' $$$ taken by Tasos.

Back to topic

GREAT UPDATE, I tell ya this game keeps getting better and better. There are alot of things planned for this game, and I am seeing increased numbers of players on my server (on both factions).

The updates are awsome, makes the game easy to navigate and lots more

Good Job Mythic!

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

I think that article had some good info for everyone. I don't know what the two posters above have issue with...at all.
    ONTOPIC:
    Looks like some good changes, but honestly i wonder why they didn't just add a flight master to every warcamp, and added a warcamp for ever zone. While the instant travel is a different approach...i guess it works too.

There is a flight master in every warcamp.  They also added flight masters to the zones that didn't have a warcamp.  That change has been in for a while already. I guess they still wanted to do more to help people get to the fight wherever they happen to be when the fur starts flying.

A few other map related things I didn't see in this artical... the hotspot markers on the maps now have mouseover info.  They tell you how many people are fighting at that spot, like 12 or more, 24 or more.  The pairing map also shows the hotspot icon if their is RvR going on in that zone.  Another handy addition is the arrows on the edge of the maps to view the next map in that direction... sure beats backing out and back in to to see the rest of a zone.

The new party and group menu is also great... if for no other reason than the fact you can see the available groups without leaving the one you are in.  Now if they would just add the option for a group leader to add his group to another open warband from the group panel.

All in all the changes are pretty good.  They are mostly aimed at making RvR action easier to find and get to.  No more moving between elf, dwarf and empire looking for the WAR when you log in.

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422
    Originally posted by boinged

So the BO timer thing does basically the same as the State of Realm addon? Or will I still need that?

The addon also the ability to broadcast your target or timers to the zone, rvr, warband, or any other place you choose too.  It is also a visible popup indication of when a BO is being taken by the other side.  I will still use that addon for those features.  It is easily toggle-able.

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422
    Originally posted by Salvatoris

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

ONTOPIC:

There is a flight master in every warcamp.  They also added flight masters to the zones that didn't have a warcamp.  That change has been in for a while already. I guess they still wanted to do more to help people get to the fight wherever they happen to be when the fur starts flying.

A few other map related things I didn't see in this artical... the hotspot markers on the maps now have mouseover info.  They tell you how many people are fighting at that spot, like 12 or more, 24 or more.  The pairing map also shows the hotspot icon if their is RvR going on in that zone.  Another handy addition is the arrows on the edge of the maps to view the next map in that direction... sure beats backing out and back in to to see the rest of a zone.

The new party and group menu is also great... if for no other reason than the fact you can see the available groups without leaving the one you are in.  Now if they would just add the option for a group leader to add his group to another open warband from the group panel.

All in all the changes are pretty good.  They are mostly aimed at making RvR action easier to find and get to.  No more moving between elf, dwarf and empire looking for the WAR when you log in.

Have not tried this, wonder if the group leader can /join "name of other group leader" and his whole group joins?

I know that currently if you are a group leader you can invite the other groups leader to join, and that will merge the two groups.

• JenneroflokJenneroflok Member Posts: 126

Well written article and I am having fun with this patch and live evemt.  Can not wait till Slayers come into the game; I use to have a blast playing a troll slayer in the old pen and paper game.

• thanoskkkthanoskkk Member UncommonPosts: 230

info on mouse over also includes the guild name who claimed the keep ( if any). I really see this game go up with those patches. Mythic is doing a great job.

He that lives upon Hope dies farting.

• farfignugenfarfignugen Member Posts: 4

Great write-up, I've been enjoying 1.2 myself for the last couple nights.

Personally, I found the Hotspot indicators to be a lot more reliable than they previously were. Of all the Hotspots I ran to last night, only one was empty (but there were still fresh corpses lying around).

The Rally Cry system is definitely a little confusing. The intervals at which it went off seemed to be random. Hopefully they supply us with a little more information on how it works.

• TniceTnice Member Posts: 563

Thanks.  Good overview of the visible changes for those who have not played in a while.

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Nice article highlighting some of the major changes with the last patch.

If others don't have the reading comprehension to understand a MMORPG making steps to improve itself (gee, never, seen -that- before) then that's their problem and I'm gald to see their troll posts were deleted.   

As other have pointed out there are lots of other changes/improvements but I think the article did a good job pointing out the more noticeable ones.  

I also liked that the article pointed out of WAR’s continuing weaknesses:

Warhammer often leaves me (and I assume others) scratching my head about how exactly something works. I have a similar complaint about the new scenario that has been added for this live event, but that’s a story for another time.

I agree completely! The new scenario was very confusing and there was no real explaination what was going on with it. I also agree that WAR suffers from lack of explaination with other game mechanics like Crafting and oRvR.

The patch seems to addressing some of these issues with the new mouseovers and additional descriptions but Mythic needs to continue adding in-game explainations for their various mechanics. They also really need to find a way to emphasize the objectives of their Scenarios rather than relying on players using a trial and error method to figure it out.