Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall Draw Distance - Screenshots Included

antiherozeroantiherozero Member UncommonPosts: 76

In a rare charitable moment I decided to screenshot some images to showcase the draw distance in DFO. Some seem to believe the draw distance in DFO is quite poor, which completely baffles me. I believe these pictures should indicate otherwise.  Clearly the terrain draw distance is MMO-average, but the player/mob draw distance is far superior to most single-player games.  I simply do not know how it could be improved when I strain to see what appear to be anorexic ants on my 22", can tell if they are mounted, if they are fighting, casting spells, crouching, etc.  There is never any sudden appearance of  a player or a terrain feature (except grass) short of the typical draw distance as occassionally experiencd in many other MMOs.

These screenshots were captured with an EVGA 9800 GTX+ at 1680x1050 resolution. The in-game settings were all lowered as far as possible, with shadows turned off, AA turned off, and every texture set to low. This game looks much different (in my opinion far better) with shadows turned on. I reduced the file sizes to 7/10 .jpg in Photoshop so they would retain most of their clarity while still being a reasonable size to download.

Longest View (~100 meters). Note: If you look carefully you'll notice there are several players barely visible. I could have actually moved a bit further away and the players would have continued to show up, but the terrain prevented me from doing so.

Long View (~75 meters).

Medium View (~25 meters).

Short View (~10 meters).

Very Short View (0 meters).

Forest Island (high elevation).

Forest Island (low elevation).

Note: Unfortunately, it seems photo bucket has seen fit to resize all of these screenshots down to nearly half of their original size. As a result, most players are quite difficult to see, but if you zoom in you can still make them out just barely. The originals are in much higher resolution as well.

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."

-Matt Groening

Comments

• Einstein-DFEinstein-DF Member Posts: 752

In  before someone shows up and starts with "graphics suck" when u clearly stated that the quality was lowered.

• Darkstar111Darkstar111 Member Posts: 675

Nice one.

Always hated the low draw distance of most MMOs.

-Darkstar

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101
    Originally posted by Darkstar111

Nice one.

-Darkstar

I hate to burst your bubble babe, but:

DF ain't got nothing on those games, and  there are a few/several more I could've nabbed screenshots from that have way longer draw distances than DF.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by antiherozero

... to showcase the draw distance in DFO. Some seem to believe the draw distance in DFO is quite poor, which completely baffles me. I believe these pictures should indicate otherwise.  Clearly the terrain draw distance is MMO-average, but the player/mob draw distance is far superior to most single-player games.  I simply do not know how it could be improved when I strain to see what appear to be anorexic ants on my 22", can tell if they are mounted, if they are fighting, casting spells, crouching, etc.  There is never any sudden appearance of  a player or a terrain feature (except grass) short of the typical draw distance as occassionally experiencd in many other MMOs.
    Longest View (~100 meters). Note: If you look carefully you'll notice there are several players barely visible. I could have actually moved a bit further away and the players would have continued to show up, but the terrain prevented me from doing so.
    Forest Island (high elevation).

I'm glad you are excited about Darkfall... but at least learn what else is available before you start making fantastic claims to greatness.

These are screen shots from WWIIoL on a 7 year old game with a 10 year old engine...

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/34/view/screens/display/7940

See the smoke on the hill in the distance?  Yeah, that was a visible enemy.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/34/view/screens/display/6866

A high elevation shot to match yours... with the naked eye you can pick out infantry movement at 400m... rifle kills are often made at 500m +

If enemy players look like ants at 100m then either you have your distances wrong or the scaling is wrong.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

TBH, this one doestn't look good to me at all. Too much fog of war there. I haven't seen it in game though.

• downtoearthdowntoearth Member Posts: 3,558

100 meteres is he default setting goign higher doesnt do anything atm wait until everything client side is enabled for gfx options lmao

• Darkstar111Darkstar111 Member Posts: 675
    Originally posted by star.buck

Nice one.

-Darkstar

DF ain't got nothing on those games, and  there are a few/several more I could've nabbed screenshots from that have way longer draw distances than DF.

Those screenshots are a good example of what im talking about.

Lets take the top one.

Its obviously from wow, now look at the other side of the lake, it looks completly empty, right? wrong!

That lake has mobs by it, it could even have players there, but we have no idea because the game doesn't show us. And im not even talking about the waterfall on the other side.

If im looking for a rare mob, that mob could EASILY be on both the left and right side this lake, but thanks to a moronicly low draw distance the game will not show us this, u HAVE to go down and check for urself.

Same with the shire showing an empty village, there are people there u just cant see em, and AoC ofcourse with the same issue.

Thanks for the comparison, also im a DIE HARD BSG fan, luv ur nick.

-Darkstar

• downtoearthdowntoearth Member Posts: 3,558
    Originally posted by Die_Scream

TBH, this one doestn't look good to me at all. Too much fog of war there. I haven't seen it in game though.

clip range change doesnt work

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

[snip]

Lets take the top one.

Its obviously from wow, now look at the other side of the lake, it looks completly empty, right? wrong!

That lake has mobs by it, it could even have players there, but we have no idea because the game doesn't show us. And im not even talking about the waterfall on the other side.

If im looking for a rare mob, that mob could EASILY be on both the left and right side this lake, but thanks to a moronicly low draw distance the game will not show us this, u HAVE to go down and check for urself.

Same with the shire showing an empty village, there are people there u just cant see em, and AoC ofcourse with the same issue.

-Darkstar

Ah, so you're talking more about object/npc draw distance rather than envrionmental? :D

In the shire one, if you look carefully (like in the DF ones) you can definitely see some hobbits in the town.

And yes, I'm a huge BSG fan, but I'm effing pissed it's over in like, 3 weeks

• coheed3coheed3 Member Posts: 20

I surely hope your 9800 GTX can run it at more than the lowest settings...

Still doesn't look all that bad though.

• APEistAPEist Member UncommonPosts: 409

So, infidelix has issues.

The noob formally not known as not being the formally not unkown known APEist; The Stone Cold Killer of Tarq.

• CrimsonDecayCrimsonDecay Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by APEist

So, infidelix has issues.

I think hes 'roid-raging'

Question: How many WoW players does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    Answer: 0, Blizzard does it for them.

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

The in-game settings were all lowered as far as possible, with shadows turned off, AA turned off, and every texture set to low.

For christ's sake, why would you post screenshots with lowered graphics? To show everyone how the graphics suck? Because what I see sucks badly.

Please post shots with proper graphics so that we can get a proper opinion on the game. Thanks.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by BigMango

The in-game settings were all lowered as far as possible, with shadows turned off, AA turned off, and every texture set to low.

For christ's sake, why would you post screenshots with lowered graphics? To show everyone how the graphics suck? Because what I see sucks badly.

Please post shots with proper graphics so that we can get a proper opinion on the game. Thanks.

in the beta client, most graphics options don't work. That includes clipping distance, texture quality, etc.

That's what you get to see and play in, more or less...(only shadows can be enabled)

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821
    Originally posted by Galadourn

in the beta client, most graphics options don't work. That includes clipping distance, texture quality, etc.
    That's what you get to see and play in, more or less...(only shadows can be enabled)

Ah ok, thanks for the info.

But are we sure these options will be in the launch client?

Because there is a nice record of several other game developers, like AoC and Vanguard, who told their beta testers a few days before launch "don't worry these features will be in the client at launch...." 

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by BigMango

But are we sure these options will be in the launch client?

no, not at all.

• jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804

I'm a darkfall fanboi, love the game and think its prob one of the greatest things for MMOs since wow.

But really come on, the draw distance blows they need to allow us to alter it so we can see everything, a game with such awesome landscapes really should not have it that restrictive.

-------------------------------------------------
    Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA
    -------------------------------------------------

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I am more bummed that someone would name themself Miss Yuck...

I actually kinda liked all those screens. Then again, I will take lower graphics and draw distances if it delivers a fun gameplay experience.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• ronssonronsson Member UncommonPosts: 20

Allright - I think that Darkfall seems to have a fair drawing distance. It does seem better than in Lotro and Wow at least.

I didn't understand that this was the Darkfall discussion forums rather than some general discussion board so I removed a pic that I posted before.

• warppwarpp Member Posts: 258

Nice one.

-Darkstar

Are you deluded or just a rabid fanboy? thoses screens make DF draw distance look pathetic and out of date. If you want the best draw distance then look no further than Vanguard.

Ill let the vid do the talking rather than screenshots..

forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m

Jah Rasta For I.
    The Wicked Shall Fall..

http://www.ethnic2020.com/images/Ebay/black-jesus.jpg

• ShlomoShlomo Member Posts: 148

Originally posted by star.buck

Nice one.

-Darkstar

Lets take the top one.

-Darkstar

Just had to.. To clarefy what you were talking about.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by Gyrus

If enemy players look like ants at 100m then either you have your distances wrong or the scaling is wrong.

Bingo.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by warpp 

Are you deluded or just a rabid fanboy? thoses screens make DF draw distance look pathetic and out of date. If you want the best draw distance then look no further than Vanguard.

Ill let the vid do the talking rather than screenshots..
    forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m

Are the two not synonomous? In fact isn't that really what distinguishes a fanboi from a rational human being ?

• bongloadsbongloads Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by downtoearth

clip range change doesnt work

Texures, Clip Range, and Antialiasing are all Low, Low, and Off during the debug beta.