Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twelve Sky 2: Why Make a TwelveSky 2?

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

In this new developer journal, the Sang Chan Lee from Gigasoft answer the question "Why Make a TwelveSky 2 sos oon after releasing TwelveSky 1?"

Hello! My name is Sang Chan Lee, and I'm the Head of Marketing and Project Operations for Gigassoft Co., Ltd, the development studio behind such games as "TwelveSky 2" and a few other unannounced projects. Gigassoft was founded in December of 2002 with the purpose to make compelling Massively Multiplayer Online Role Play Games. Our first project, "TwelveSky [1]", went into Alpha testing in late 2003. Following its success, we began working on a sequel, "TwelveSky 2", which entered into its live phase in South Korea in March of 2008. With the game still relatively new, it'll be released in Europe, China, and Japan almost simultaneously. That's quite a feat for any online game company!

Riding on the back of "TwelveSky [1]"'s success, we are now one of the biggest independent game studios in South Korea. Our strength lies with our ability to do every bit of game production ourselves – from 3D animation, programming, all the way to sound effects and music scores. That's quite rare over here! In addition, we even have in-house resources to manage our own Live Operations in Korea such as Customer Service. All these in-house capabilities have allowed us to be much closer to our valued players and understand their needs better. This is the winning formula behind the success of "Twelvesky 2" in regions where the game has been released.

Read Why Make a TwelveSky 2?

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

lol looks kinda like 9 Dragons 2 to me.  After a while all these games just start to look the same for some reason. Maybe it's just me.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441
    Originally posted by tillamook

lol looks kinda like 9 Dragons 2 to me.  After a while all these games just start to look the same for some reason. Maybe it's just me.

agreed

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

On a very unlikely whim the Dev takes notice i will let them know what they are missing out on in KOrean games.

REALISTIC game play.!

I mean arcade looking games are just that arcade classics,put your 50 cents in and watch your guy unload unrealistic damage whacking away at your enemies for a couple minutes then game over.

This game on paper appears to be nothing more than your usual old style arcade game play.

To enter into a true realm of RPG's you have to create game content,realistic game play even if it is fantasy or whatever it still has to be portrayed in a realistic manner,otherwise it comes across as a farce ,something that makes you say "Whatever as if".I mean you watch a movie,we all expect the good guy to live and reign supreme in the end,but you have to make it look realistic,or we turn the movie off.The movie/game has to have a realistic storyline no matter what direction it takes.

Sure we all liked that "Big Trouble in Little China "movie with Kurt Russell,but as a sort of goofy movie,not to be taken seriously,if we had to watch or as in case of a game, play it over and over every day,it would get to be annoying or too goofy to play anymore.Even still the movie had a plot a story,so it was easy to follow and it also had some suspense,none of witch is doable in an arcade game setting,you know exactly what to expect and what you will get every minute of the way.Furthermore the game Twelve Sky uses the EXACT same Korean type armor,there is zero variation or any change it is the same old same old looking stuff we have seen in every single game that comes out of Korea,it is like every game uses the exact same graphic artisits?It makes you ask if any of the artists there have any ingenuity or ability to CREATE?Copying the same look as every other game gets boring and old,like playing the same game over and over,with a different title.

I will give an example FFXI....ever see a Tarutaru before?Galkan ?Notice how the gear in FFXI has a ton of variation ,taking on form and style from all sanctions of the world,even some you don't see in other games.This is called "CREATING"it shows thought and ingenuity,not your same old same old.It shows your developer and your staff can think for themselves and not just copy what every other game is doing or looking like.When CREATING a game it has to look like a creation and must contain lots of things to do that are expected from a MMORPG title,PVP will as of now ALWAYS fail when trying to portray itself as a MMORPG.These type of games ALWAYS end up looking like an arcade PVP classic,that should NOT be labeling itself as a MMORPG,but more as a MMOPVP.

The other thing that amazes me is the constant release of games that are designed to play solo and VERY few grouping mechanics,this is like the ANTI MMO,again fails to live up to the MMORPG label,it seems like EVERY single game that is released nowadays is labeling itslef a MMORPG just to hit the largest market for sales.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SonGokulSonGokul Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Originally posted by Wizardry

On a very unlikely whim the Dev takes notice i will let them know what they are missing out on in KOrean games.
    REALISTIC game play.!
    I mean arcade looking games are just that arcade classics,put your 50 cents in and watch your guy unload unrealistic damage whacking away at your enemies for a couple minutes then game over.
    This game on paper appears to be nothing more than your usual old style arcade game play.
    To enter into a true realm of RPG's you have to create game content,realistic game play even if it is fantasy or whatever it still has to be portrayed in a realistic manner,otherwise it comes across as a farce ,something that makes you say "Whatever as if".I mean you watch a movie,we all expect the good guy to live and reign supreme in the end,but you have to make it look realistic,or we turn the movie off.The movie/game has to have a realistic storyline no matter what direction it takes.
    Sure we all liked that "Big Trouble in Little China "movie with Kurt Russell,but as a sort of goofy movie,not to be taken seriously,if we had to watch or as in case of a game, play it over and over every day,it would get to be annoying or too goofy to play anymore.Even still the movie had a plot a story,so it was easy to follow and it also had some suspense,none of witch is doable in an arcade game setting,you know exactly what to expect and what you will get every minute of the way.Furthermore the game Twelve Sky uses the EXACT same Korean type armor,there is zero variation or any change it is the same old same old looking stuff we have seen in every single game that comes out of Korea,it is like every game uses the exact same graphic artisits?It makes you ask if any of the artists there have any ingenuity or ability to CREATE?Copying the same look as every other game gets boring and old,like playing the same game over and over,with a different title.
    I will give an example FFXI....ever see a Tarutaru before?Galkan ?Notice how the gear in FFXI has a ton of variation ,taking on form and style from all sanctions of the world,even some you don't see in other games.This is called "CREATING"it shows thought and ingenuity,not your same old same old.It shows your developer and your staff can think for themselves and not just copy what every other game is doing or looking like.When CREATING a game it has to look like a creation and must contain lots of things to do that are expected from a MMORPG title,PVP will as of now ALWAYS fail when trying to portray itself as a MMORPG.These type of games ALWAYS end up looking like an arcade PVP classic,that should NOT be labeling itself as a MMORPG,but more as a MMOPVP.
    The other thing that amazes me is the constant release of games that are designed to play solo and VERY few grouping mechanics,this is like the ANTI MMO,again fails to live up to the MMORPG label,it seems like EVERY single game that is released nowadays is labeling itslef a MMORPG just to hit the
  • EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Ill admit I know little about the game... But it looks like a New Lifeless asian MMO... Not that western MMO's have any more life to them.. But the asian ones all feel like cookie cutter single player games with other people running around them.. Dont thing I worded that well, But ah well.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    Originally posted by b0rderline99

agreed

Its just you.

The game is free, when it is relesed download it and play it, if you dont like it fine, but blind bashing, ill never understand why people deem it nessessairy to do that.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

agreed

Its just you.

The game is free, when it is relesed download it and play it, if you dont like it fine, but blind bashing, ill never understand why people deem it nessessairy to do that.

Dude, even the guy said it's only got some social differences, slight combat variations, and slightly improved graphics compared to the first game. It's not going to be the vast improvement that these games need, and it's basically just adding what other games already have in it, so it's basically a waste of time.

And yes, I do agree that they're all looking the same, and basically copying each other. I don't even think they TRY to be different anymore.

• shocking13shocking13 Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Gajari

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

agreed

Its just you.

Dude, even the guy said it's only got some social differences, slight combat variations, and slightly improved graphics compared to the first game. It's not going to be the vast improvement that these games need, and it's basically just adding what other games already have in it, so it's basically a waste of time.

And yes, I do agree that they're all looking the same, and basically copying each other. I don't even think they TRY to be different anymore.

id say dont judge the game until you've actually tried it. i admit i was a bit skeptical about this game since i thought it was like all the other asian mmo grind out fest game, until i tried out TS2 in the taiwanese version. i was actually surprised by the gameplay. it didnt really feel grindy at all and what really kept me in the game is the great PvP, since i am a PvP type of gamer. The PvP function of the game is IMO the best that is out of all the games out there (ive tried other games like WoW and Warhammer and the PvP isnt as fun or unique as this game). There is just so much to do in the game. however there were a few things that i hope they improve, such as the armor custimozation. when you are a certain lvl, everyone of the same faction just looks the same as one another, so its hard to distinguish yourself as being unique. also, i dont really like clicking to move and hope they implement the W,A,S,D movement function in the european version. as i said, we all have different prefrences for games, but i prefer you guys to try out the game before giving such negative comments.

• AkumaDaimyoAkumaDaimyo Member Posts: 185

So your saying they all look alike to you? Racist.

• CyrosphereCyrosphere Member Posts: 105

So, perhaps a more important question reviewers should be asking these days, is:

"How many rootkits does this MMO install onto your PC?"

To date, each and every asian MMO I've tried (most recent being Silkroad, Rappelz, Perfect World) all go and install some form of backdoor rootkit or other, and of course these semi-viruses are undetected by many AntiVirus programs.

I understand the premise that they're intended to prevent third party botting and packet hacking, but talk about treating your costumers like trash. For those not ringing a bell, I'll draw an analogy to the recent Spore DRM debacle.

Remember, it has to be fun to be a game. Grinding is a bedroom activity, and the point is definitely not to do my wife as fast as possible.

• zournlochartzournlochart Member Posts: 1

I don't know why everyone complains so much about the games they play. Are spending hours out of your day to make a better game? If not shut up. Stop whining and go learn how to make your own MMORPG, and be as creative as you think you are.

• ewdemetriusewdemetrius Member Posts: 3

This game is definetly not the typical asian mmorpg. If you are looking for a free to play game ; you'd be crazy not to try this one out.  Although this game won't be for everyone im sure. However It is a very unique game that raises the standards for a free to play mmorpg.

• cheetoh90cheetoh90 Member Posts: 22

Just out of curiousity..... I don't understand why you wouldnt add WASD controlls to Twelve Sky 2. Point and Click can get extremely annoying, especially during PvP. Is adding WASD controlls along with Point and Click really that difficult, even if it means attracting more gamers? I'm not complaining here so please don't get me wrong, I'm simply making a suggestion =).