Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest MMO Disaster

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

The biggest disaster is something I can only relate in relative terms to the chances of success. Insofar I think it is Vanguard, since they had folks from the fabled EQ1 and a big sum of money. It had been one of the best chances, and relative to that it was the deepest fall.

PotBS, Hellgate and other never had the chance IMO, I was in Pirates beta and it was a flaw right away. I never played Hellgate, so I cant say, and I never have played Darkfall beta or will play it, so I have no really educated opinion about it, tho my feeling tells me it will be the biggest disaster with enough time passed. But now it's too early to say. Dark and Light was PRETTY bad, but that was also forseeable. As said, I regard the disaster as relative to the chance it could have been.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

I would say WoW, not a disaster for Blizzard but for the rest of the industry. 

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

The winner is automatically Hellgate: London, since it is now dead and defunct, and didn't even last 2 years.  The other candidates are all alive and kicking.

• TidusRTidusR Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by GreenChaos

I would say WoW, not a disaster for Blizzard but for the rest of the industry. 

I could not have said it better!, blizzard really did take hold of the industry and now evrything has to try and touch them sitting on their high chair lol

• maxnrosymaxnrosy Member Posts: 608
    Originally posted by Sneakers05

Many of you may be wondering why I put up EQ2 up there because some dont see it in a disaster per say...but EQ was legendary, its sequel was supposed to be everything EQ was and plus more, it wasnt and went up against the behemoth world of warcraft, EQ2 may have a nice player base but I Still think in more ways then one you can say it was a disaster.

Sneakers you just prooved to everone on this thread you know crap about mmos. Including games that have not yet been released and ommiting games that  died out shows how much you know about mmo history.

You are just using all these titles as a coverup to bash a game that has not been released. Your including a game that is being produced at a budget price . that alone eliminates it as the biggest mmo disaster even if it does flop.

There are many other mmos out there that spent more in production of the game and are now nonexsistant.

it was those games that should have been mentioned in this thread. Not eq2 or even darkfall. Where is Tabula rasa which almost hit about 100 million spent to produce it. why is that game not mention. How about earth and beyond and ac2.

while I do not plan to play darkfall or support it  i do know the devs didnt aim for mainstream. They targeted the hardcore pvp audience and their game for its production cost does not put in anywhere close to the biggest mmo disaster in mmo history. Like i said even if it flops it is dwarfed by games like Tabula rasa and dark and light.

Watching Fanbois drop their soap in a prison full of desperate men.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

My vote would be for SWG-NGE.

I don't think any game out there, not even the failed ones like AC2, Autoassault etc have drawn as much ire as the SWG community has exhibited since NGE was released.

I think its safe to say that NGE lost more subs for SOE than most failed (or failing) games ever manage to garner.

And the bitterness is still out there in a big way, where as I've not run into too many folks who feel their entire gaming experience has been ruined by TR being shut down.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• chrswlfchrswlf Member Posts: 5

I would say Tabula Rasa or Vanguard, only because of their pedigrees.  Vanguard drove Brad McQuaid...insane?  Lord British had to leave the planet to avoid the TR disaster.

And Hellgate, well, that would be the obvious choice, except that it, like Guild Wars, isn't really an MMO.  It isn't massively multiplayer.

• tasteetastee Member Posts: 65

Neocron  .. not only did it suck but they failed to do backups and lost character activity for a few months

• TsollessTsolless Member Posts: 448

If it was on the list I would say Tabula Rasa. But it isn't and most of the games on that list are still kickin' so... yeah.

• VillakoiraVillakoira Member Posts: 40

Dark and Light by far. I don't consider EQ2 a disaster at all, Vanguard sucked at the start and was Bel-Air'd somehow, and maybe Age of Conan can pull a Vanguard. Maybe. New SWG is obviously crap though.

Darkfall? We can't tell just yet how it will do. I'm going to be honest and say that its community scares me and why can't they be more docile like LOTRO players?

Currently playing: EverQuest II

Tried: EVE Online (will return someday), Final Fantasy XI (didn't like, sorry)

• MidnitteMidnitte Member Posts: 510

Top 5 disasters imo:

1. SWG (combing NGE and CU)
    2. Darkfall
    3. Tabula Rasa
    4. Hellgate London (even though I don't consider it an MMO)
    5. AoC/Warhammer/LOTRO

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

Spellborn,for its bizarre release/ip blocking/acclaim-ness.

• gimmeapennygimmeapenny Member Posts: 85

The answer is Dark and Light and a lot of other games not on that list.

Playing: EVE
    and you better care

• NiblixNiblix Member Posts: 160

I would have voted 'All MMORPG's after EverQuest (no expansions)' but your poll is biased

Be paid for Beta Testing, don't pay to Beta Test.

• DrednaughtDrednaught Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by Sneakers05

Many of you may be wondering why I put up EQ2 up there because some dont see it in a disaster per say...but EQ was legendary, its sequel was supposed to be everything EQ was and plus more, it wasnt and went up against the behemoth world of warcraft, EQ2 may have a nice player base but I Still think in more ways then one you can say it was a disaster.

Biggest MMO disaster was the launch of WoW because it set a standard that most game companies were happy to try and copy/rip off rather than innovate and push the boundaries.

5 yrs and still no change.................

Gaming since 1985 and still going strong.

• ZanetanosZanetanos Member Posts: 146

Star Wars Galaxies obviously takes this one.

• KasmosKasmos Member UncommonPosts: 593

Whatever trolls voted Darkfall, you're pathetic. It's not even out yet and you're calling it a disaster?

Lol, I know your butts must hurt being wrong about it being "vaporwarzesss lulz" but get over it and get a life.

• MidnitteMidnitte Member Posts: 510

Originally posted by Kasmos
    Whatever trolls voted Darkfall, you're pathetic. It's not even out yet and you're calling it a disaster?

Lol, I know your butts must hurt being wrong about it being "vaporwarzesss lulz" but get over it and get a life.

Sounds like your trolling the trolls.
    The reason I think darkfall is a disaster is because the gameplay (from watching the videos) just seems to be ganking and trolling people by running around after them swinging weapons. If the finished product is alot better, then obviously that becomes an invalid point.

• KasmosKasmos Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Originally posted by Midnitte

The reason I think darkfall is a disaster is because the gameplay (from watching the videos) just seems to be ganking and trolling people by running around after them swinging weapons. If the finished product is alot better, then obviously that becomes an invalid point.

An "MMO Disaster" is one that's launched and is completely unfinished, drops the subscriber base right off the bat, very buggy, etc. Darkfall ISN'T EVEN OUT YET.

And for the record, the general "lifted NDA" consensus from the beta testers is that, although it still has some flaws, it's FUN AS HELL to play. That's why I play games for, "fun". But call it a disaster if you will, the jokes on you.

• Skatty2007Skatty2007 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 231

Biggest MMO disaster?  I vote for Motor City Online or Auto Assault.

I'm not creative enough to have a signature

• RespitRespit Member Posts: 770
    Originally posted by Skatty2007

Biggest MMO disaster?  I vote for Motor City Online or Auto Assault.

Dang, MCO.

A lot of fun to play.

Too bad that EA  had control of it, along with E&B.

DarkFall FAQ - Read then Question with Boldness

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112
    Originally posted by Midnitte

Let's get a few things straight.

You watched the videos and determined the game is crap. Good for you.

The game is not aimed at you obviously. There is nothing indicating it was ever aimed at you or people like you and your playstyle. The fact is there are people out there that want to play this game regardless of how you or anybody feels about it.

Unless you can show me an interview or some hard facts that the developers were trying to make a game with over 500k subscribers then there is no merrit in any of your bull. Believe it or not there are MMo companies out there that doesn't aim at millions of subscribers. KingsIsle Studios and their Wizard101 would be one of those companies. They are shocked right now they have a million accounts regardless what percentage is actually paying a sub or access passes.

It's all about how much money they have devoted to making it and running it.  They can easily be aiming at a 100k subs or less and still hitting the mark they aimed at. Because YOU think they should be competing with WoW does not make it so. Remember this is a small indie company that doesn't have the financial backup of bigger brand names. As such i think they are going to hit the mark they were aiming at.

• Skatty2007Skatty2007 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 231
    Originally posted by Respit

Too bad that EA  had control of it, along with E&B.

Oooh - Earth & Beyond.  Nice call.  Another worthy candidate for biggest MMO disaster.

I'm not creative enough to have a signature

• quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

Dark & Light.  There can be no worse failure than that.

Let's take a terrain engine, ignore the licensing restrictions, tack some half-hearted combat systems in with cookie-cutter textures.  Then, let's write up a giant feature list of what everyone has been asking for all these years!  After delays and much backpedaling, let's release what we've got as a "preview" and then open pre-orders to suck $60 out of a few thousand people.

Oh yeah, that preview we said wasn't the game... yeah, that's the game, but we re-seeded the random terrain generation so it's got a whole new world!

Fortunately, I didn't fork out any cash for that pile... but I did get my hopes up quite a bit.  Oh well, now I know better than to ever bother trying to play an MMO when it opens.  If it's still there and not a ghost town 6 months after launch, it might be worth buying.  We'll see how Darkfall turns out...

• harmonicaharmonica Member Posts: 339

I'd say vanguard because people actually thought it was going to be a quailty game.

Games like Mourning and DnL only scammed retarded people who couldn't tell an obvious shit-game even though it had a million and one signs.