Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skirmish coming to Testbed!

Read all about it here in Snap's new devlog:

Enter the Skirmish

Comments

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630

That devlog is impressive, and I like the variety of options they're planning.

However, I fear what the consequences of this might be on open-sea PvP. 

Skirmish plays an important role in RvR, to allow new players to learn and hone their PvP skills without having to risk their ship and cargo.  However, when it gets to the point where you can get all your PvP thrills in skirmish mode, and that you don't need to camp pesky red circles for a fight,  I'm afraid it's just going to lead to a deathmatch-type game where you skirmish, good game, rinse and repeat.

Anyone concerned about ganking will happily embrace skirmish, but they'll still have to risk red circles for everything else, where the segment of the PotBS player core that gets its jollies out of griefing will remain.  At the same time, it might just lead dedicated PvPers to just concentrate on skirmish instead.  Far easier to plan and faster to run.

The great fight of nations might have been a failure in this game due to the lack of pirate impact and faction imbalance, but let's see how skirmish affects it.  Though I'm no longer playing, I certainly hope I'm wrong.

• DJXeonDJXeon Member UncommonPosts: 553

Lucky that FLS employed Snap after moving DrewC to the FLS leisure division or it might never had happened.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

They're actually adding a PvP system now?  Interesting.  Yes, I'm aware that there is theoretically PvP in the open seas and port battles, but those are rare enough to be irrelevant to normal gameplay.

Sounds like they're trying for the "disastrous launch and then fix the game later" model, which I guess is the best you can do after a disastrous launch.  Now I guess the question will be whether there are enough players interested to fill such battles.

Originally posted by Quizzical

They're actually adding a PvP system now?  Interesting.  Yes, I'm aware that there is theoretically PvP in the open seas and port battles, but those are rare enough to be irrelevant to normal gameplay.
    Sounds like they're trying for the "disastrous launch and then fix the game later" model, which I guess is the best you can do after a disastrous launch.  Now I guess the question will be whether there are enough players interested to fill such battles.

If there are normal RvR could suffer & it's pretty dull as it is now on most servers.

• Originally posted by Quizzical

Open Sea PvP is plentiful on Antigua and Blackbeard, and from what I understand Roberts has picked up nicely with a lot of ex-Antigua transfers going over there.

That said, I'm not a proponent of Skirmish for reasons I've posted a dozen times on the official forum and my own blog, so I'll let you guys take care of posting them for me here ;)

However, interest and support for Skirmish among the active playerbase far overwhelms the pleas of the few naysayers, so hopefully it works out as planned.  /fingerscrossed.

Good for newbie practice & risk free fun - not much good for anything else.

Probably won't be used that much but who knows.