Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Choppa and Slayer Impressions

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com’s Hasani Davis Sits down with Adam Gershowitz to talk about Mythic Entertainment's slayer, Choppa and the Call to Arms event bringing them into the game.

Warhammer Screenshot

The Dwarven Slayer and Greenskin’s Choppa bring a new twist to the melee damage game in Mythic Entertainment’s Warhammer Online. Where you have the Marauder and White Lion who can deal area of effect as a light melee, and you have Witch Elves and Witch Hunters who deal stealth strikes and high single target damage, the Slayer and Choppa each have a more random and more chaotic element.

In my recent hands on, I was shown the abilities of both classes and noticed that while the attacks always hit the intended target, they will sometimes hit an additional enemy or two.

Read Choppa and Slayer Impressions

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• BattleFelonBattleFelon Member UncommonPosts: 483

Truth be told, I'm more excited about the Lands of the Dead expansion. While slayers may help continue to even out the Order-Destro balance, it's not like Order needs any more DPS. I'm also at a loss about how the slayer/choppa will fit into the overall strategy. It might be a good thing for other tanks/ melee DPS if these new classes can serve as "shocktroops," but I'm still not convinced they'll be able to break the frontline before getting shot to death.

Anyhow, a competitive raiding environment and a reason to lock down zones besides farming renown is just what this game needs. And the Khemri setting is very cool.

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

Can't Wait.  Should be good times ahead.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Mythic cracks me up,  they can't resist adding more classes even when it messes up the pvp balances.  They ruined DAoC that way and will do the same with War. 

At least Blizzard paid attention to the mistakes made by Mythic and have added new classes rarely.  Even then they always have a spat of balancing complaints.

Mythic will never get the fact that complexity breeds chaos.

• JpizzleJpizzle Member Posts: 371

"the White Lion and Marauder, two melee damaging careers already in the game, are light melee that use debuffs and specialty skills"

LOL! What? 

WLs are debuffers? What'? Their ONE single target sillence that is pet dependent? lol. And their only useful RvR specialty skill is getting nerfed in 1.2.

I'm rerolling a Slayer. Hopefully, they aren't as half-assed as the WL.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

Its gonna be great, things are really looking up for this game!

• SidereusSidereus Member Posts: 316

hehe i will resub next summer i think :D

QUESTION:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xridnasa:
    -
    What's a "grocery store"? Is that like McDonald's?
    -
    ANSWER:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sidimazz:
    -
    Kind of, just without the rapist.

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Darkness fall was great for DAoC and your realm really got something great from your RvR....

This dungeon will be great if done like darkness falls....which is how it seems at this points...the game is coming along but only time will tell...i know ill be back in march 

• FolbyOrbFolbyOrb Member UncommonPosts: 357

I'm still going to wait a bit before I resub, to see how things really turn out.

Playing | GW2
    Wanting | Pantheon
    Watching | Crowfall
    Retired | WAR, Cabal, MO, CO, SHK, WoW, FFXIV: ARR

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Mythic cracks me up,  they can't resist adding more classes even when it messes up the pvp balances.  They ruined DAoC that way and will do the same with War. 
    At least Blizzard paid attention to the mistakes made by Mythic and have added new classes rarely.  Even then they always have a spat of balancing complaints.

I guess you haven't been paying much attention to WAR. These classes (although the Slayer was the Hammerer for a while) were originally in the game, but they were cut before launch. Now that they're returning, they're filling in the remaining gaps, restoring the balance more than disturbing it.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• kraidenkraiden Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 638

I think this is a GREAT ARTICLE... but then again I am biased.

as a fan I am excited about the expansion, and I feel the things in the game that are already imbalanced are so glaring and eronious they will be fixed. DAoC wasnt ruined because of class ballance... it was ruined because we as customers left because of the massive changes all at once that came with New Frontires. People claim ToA made them  leave, but most people I know didnt leave until after their frustrations with the new pvp maps and new keeps made them feel un easy.

(and WOW came out)

Now 10 years later in hindsight, I actually feel the NF maps made the game beter, but it was just too much too fast. So in short, we doged them out for doing the right thing and for comming out with better content 0_o!

add a new map to wow and people cheer.

add new scenerio to WAR and people cheer. 

Add a new map to DAoC pvp after having the same map for 4 years and people revolt.... go figure.

bet ya they wouldnt do that again.

I cant wait for this expansion , the new classes are just more melee that deal damage.

I will report more information as it is passed onto me. and you can check the mmorpg.com feature section for when I have something I will make sure you readers get asap!

Hasani

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by kraiden

I will report more information as it is passed onto me.

When a fan (your own words, though it's obvious) is writing articles for the "news" section, then it's neither news nor information. It's opinions, or even propaganda.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

Run along, WoW fanboy...

• MandaloreMandalore Member UncommonPosts: 131

I dont think that "linebreaker" thing will work - ok the moral 2 of the slayer is a PBAE knock down, but you have to reach the enemy line ... something like the WL Jump with a PBAE knock back whould be cool :)

But will a damage range from 4-6 attract enough players? Where are WE and WH 3-7? 

I hope they will but some nice enounters into the new area. More of the quality of ToA (Phoenix Enc, 4.10 Enc ... ). They promised somthing like traps for LoTM, but i was only a generic dungeon with easy encounters (most of it) - so i hope the can now deliver somthing more challenging and not only Encounters with high damage mobs or where 70% of the fight depends on luck.

-------------------------------------
     Playing: Overwatch, Genshin Impact, Black Desert Mobile, Hundred Soul, Cyberpunk 2077
     Inactive: WAR, DAoC, RIFT, GW1/2, TSW, Age of Wulin, Black Desert, Blade & Soul, Skyforge

• gimmeapennygimmeapenny Member Posts: 85
    Originally posted by Netspook

Originally posted by kraiden

I will report more information as it is passed onto me.

When a fan (your own words, though it's obvious) is writing articles for the "news" section, then it's neither news nor information. It's opinions, or even propaganda

Not sure why but after reading your post CNN and Fox news popped into my head.

The updates sound cool, I would like to try out the Land of the Dead. I think the game will still be like Super Smash Brothers or City of Heroes where you play and enjoy it a lot for a month then drop it and don't look back for a while.

Playing: EVE
    and you better care

• local93bclocal93bc Member Posts: 353

I dont  think ill be resubing at all even with this coming up.

I need a more creative outlet.

this game is for kids.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

The argument that these classes are bringing things 'back into balance' is valid. The problem is that the balance is still so far out of whack it can't be brought back, just somewhat negated. These two classes were among the most desired when WAR first rolled out and when they were cut a lot of folks were very unhappy. Okay, maybe they revamped the both classes and made them more playable (the supposed reason they were cut in the first place was that they were dull..as per the Devs) but the end result is more subs. By adding classes, Mythic hopes to get some old folks who dropped their subs to come back and to hold onto a few folks that might be on the edge of leaving .

WAR can be a good game and I offer well wishes to folks who are enjoying it. This isn't enough for them to get me to re-sub though.

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

the reason why there is an imbalance is because classes were missing at launch. they are adding back in the classes that were supposed to be in the game from the start. blizzard would make you pay for that.

• slippyCslippyC Member Posts: 396

What they need to do is figure out a way to make more people play Order.  If they can't do that, then they need to put in hierlings or henchmen or something to help balance out the population.  Or maybe boost damage and hp for the under-populated side.

This is the same bs that was happening back in DAoC.  It is a game-breaker and they still have not figured out a reasonable fix for it. 

I have really one question.....

How are you going to get into this new dungeon if you hadn't got the numbers to take over objectives to open up the dungeon? 

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129
    Originally posted by cfurlin

Run along, WoW fanboy...

LOL

• local93bclocal93bc Member Posts: 353

A huge Boost to Inf/RP/XP for being outnumbered in RvR is all  Mythic really needed . Some kind of patch counting how many of each side are in the RvR lakes and giving xpbonus for kills to the underdog.

You Get a kills when odds are 3/1 That kill should count as 3 times more xp.  but it dosent work that way ,so the outnumbered side gives out more death lvling the overpopulated side faster, making the problem even biger.

My time playing Order was not all bad. even though on our server we were outnumbered it did not stop us from geting many kills and participating in RvR.  Did we give out more RP then we got?

yes.

Your outnumbered 2/1. to kill a few of them feels very rewarding at first but in the end your just making them stronger, feeding them RP lvls.

the overpopulated side is lvling faster, not because of skill or smart tactics.

this was needed in the game at launch.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by local93bc

A huge Boost to Inf/RP/XP for being outnumbered in RvR is all  Mythic really needed . Some kind of patch counting how many of each side are in the RvR lakes and giving xpbonus for kills to the underdog.
    You Get a kills when odds are 3/1 That kill should count as 3 times more xp.  but it dosent work that way ,so the outnumbered side gives out more death lvling the overpopulated side faster, making the problem even biger.

My time playing Order was not all bad. even though on our server we were outnumbered it did not stop us from geting many kills and participating in RvR.  Did we give out more RP then we got?
    yes.
    Your outnumbered 2/1. to kill a few of them feels very rewarding at first but in the end your just making them stronger, feeding them RP lvls.
    the overpopulated side is lvling faster, not because of skill or smart tactics.
    this was needed in the game at launch.

Yea, that would go a long way towards making the game better. Especially if they applied similar mechanics to scenarios (atm solo dps gets a HUGE boost to exp/rp). They mentioned introducing fixes to the whole PvK / avoidance pvp game, but I haven't heard much as to how they are actually planning to accomplish that. I just hope they get it right this time, as opposed to their usually shinnanigans. Some of the programming in that game scares me...(some parts seem to lack a basic understanding of math).

- All in all I'm not too excited about the new classes. They will probably be fun, and well thought out, if their release goes anything like the heavy metal release. However I don't foresee them effecting much, until Mythic starts addressing the fundamental problems with the game (crowd control, stacked scenarios, poor renown rewards / insentives, a borked endgame city siege mechanic, still buggy loot / drop mechanics).