Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Patch 1.2 Notes, Info and Commentary

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Mythic Entertainment has released a super-sized batch of patch notes for the upcoming 1.2 update. MMORPG.com Managing Editor Jon Wood takes a look at some of the changes and offers some opinions.

Warhammer Online Screenshot

Last night, Mythic revealed their full patch notes for the upcoming 1.2 update to Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, and boy are they extensive

As usual, we’ll start by taking a look at their general announcement and then we’ll talk a little bit about some of the stuff going in. The announcement itself is a severely truncated version of the full 55 pages of patch notes. In this article, I’m going to take a look at some of what I consider to be the highlights of the patch and what they mean to the game. You shouldn’t consider it a full overview, but rather a taste of information and commentary.

So, if you’re one of those people who would just rather pur through notes upon notes than hear my opinion, here’s the link and enjoy

Read WAR Patch 1.2 Notes, Info and Commentary

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

Nice stuff! :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FuerchtegottFuerchtegott Member Posts: 79

I wish other developers were as active and extensive as Mythic when it comes to their patching policy. Although I stopped playing a while ago I was still hoping that at sometime in the future they would make modifications to the game mechanics that would make the world (and I mean the world not the game) more immersive.

Jon complains that a sliding dead toon breaks immersion, but on the other hand he sees no fault in the fact that locations are marked on my map which I haven't discovered yet. While it is definately handy, this is immersion breaking for me. Why would I know where camps, quest hubs and even pqs are, when I never have been there? The sense for exploration gets lost more and more in WAR. It was only small in the beginning and it gets cut down even more. In the end, what you do is run from one point to the next, in order. Exactly knowing where to go, no sense of surprise anymore. What they do is turn this thing in a To-Do-List with a GUI.

• RunianStarRunianStar Member UncommonPosts: 27

Thanks so much for this!  You did a great job at summarizing the major points.  I am a WAR player and have been very interested in the updates, but I don't have the time to poor over a 55 page document.  So thanks for hitting the highlights.  The game seems to be headed in the right direction which is awesome!

To the poster who thought listing warcamps, etc on a map that you haven't been too breaks immersion... i understand your point.  on the other hand it can be extremely difficult trying to find these things without having them mapped out.  As far as immersion, maybe it is similar to someone giving you a map of a city.  It would have the major sites already listed, but for particular points of interests you would have to find them on your own. 

From that perspective I think it is very reasonable to have major sites mapped out then.  Just my thoughts.

Thanks again and Blessings!

• xbellx777xbellx777 Member Posts: 716

Godd Job Mythic!!!!!!

• IonselonIonselon Member Posts: 248
    Originally posted by Fuerchtegott

I wish other developers were as active and extensive as Mythic when it comes to their patching policy. Although I stopped playing a while ago I was still hoping that at sometime in the future they would make modifications to the game mechanics that would make the world (and I mean the world not the game) more immersive.
    Jon complains that a sliding dead toon breaks immersion, but on the other hand he sees no fault in the fact that locations are marked on my map which I haven't discovered yet. While it is definately handy, this is immersion breaking for me. Why would I know where camps, quest hubs and even pqs are, when I never have been there? The sense for exploration gets lost more and more in WAR. It was only small in the beginning and it gets cut down even more. In the end, what you do is run from one point to the next, in order. Exactly knowing where to go, no sense of surprise anymore. What they do is turn this thing in a To-Do-List with a GUI.

One way to look at this is to remember that you are in a world where others have gone before you and some adventuresome soul has produced a map that you bought at the last outpost.  In fact, it seems like I once played a game where you could buy maps for areas that you had not explored yet.

On the other hand, it would be nice to have the option of either showing everything or just what you have discovered.  It seems like this could be a toggle on the maps that would allow you the choice.

Overall, it appears that the devs have been doing some hard work to make the game better.  I'm especially happy about the crafting changes as I had about given up on it because all the ingredients required took up so much of by backpack space.

Ion

• I think the ability to view warcamps et al. on the map should be a toggle setting aka Fog of War. That way if it breaks your immersion to see that info just turn on the Fog of War and it will revert back to the behavior that we see today.

BTW, as a Zealot I'm REALLY excited about the new and improved warband, party and LFG capabilities coming in 1.2. I hate logging into the game and having to spend up to an hour just figuring out where the fighting is and who had a warband going. I'd like to be able to log in and get to Waaagh! right away.

• J-NiusJ-Nius Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by Fuerchtegott

"Kill the messenger! Kill him! Kill him!"

Like Jon said, there are many modifications to the game. You can't be interested or care about every aspect of the game evenly. Some people might be affected differently by them or not at all. It seems like you were trying to express your opinion, but don't deny the opinion of others.

(And to complement what was posted before me...)

Now, let me explain why I was, personally, surprised of these marked locations when I started this game and currently see them as acceptable and coherent to the world. To the question you ask about why would you know these locations even if you didn't travel there yet, I say the commanders or quest giver told you. Not all of them explicitly tell you the exact location of where to go, but in a state of war, isn't there any scouts, tacticians or spies that forge, develop and use a map to know what is where? The commanders know approximately the location of enemies to kill or region to find items, but they don't give you the specific coordinates. Like you know, it is a wide red field that is given to you. If this explanation is not enough for you and want all of this gone, you can remove these indicators. Go to your quest log and uncheck the "Track on map" box. That option is there for quests to get the immersion you personally want.

For a general comment, I'm glad to see that Mythic is putting effort in correcting and improving the game. Even if I think that Warhammer Online needs deeper changes to be fully appreciated or appreciated again by some people, I am pleased to see that they are incrementally doing so. If only Open Realm vs Realm could have stronger implications for the world, the story and the game, especially on a RP server, I would be satisfied.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

Im glad that the devs are making WAR better and better overtime.

Have fun guys

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906

And this is why ive stuck around with War. Things are looking up!

Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
    Playing EVE Online and AOC.
    Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

• thanoskkkthanoskkk Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by Krayzjoel

couldnt agree more.

He that lives upon Hope dies farting.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129
    Originally posted by thanoskkk

Originally posted by Krayzjoel

couldnt agree more.

I could not agree more more!!

Warhammer is gonna have a good 09' year

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

"When using flight masters, the flight cinematic will now be less wobbly for Destruction characters."

Oh, thank f***ing God. I wanted to throw up every time I saw it. 

• Zeal^_^Zeal^_^ Member UncommonPosts: 15

Great game getting better, better and better.

I was exited of 1.1 and suprised all the things they added then but 1.2 got me off-guard. Holy **** the lenght of changelog.

WAR still has bugs and things to fix but Devs are doing an exellent job making this game worth every penny. If they optimized the game engine little more for those whos PC aren't top of the class..... 

• GamerBenGamerBen Member Posts: 52

WEs are gonna reroll to choppas because they won't like not being easy mode anymore :P

but alot of people are gonna play the 2 new classes anyways, i have a feeling t3 and 4 will die out for a week till all the new choppas and slayers get to those tiers

Collision fix with the magus is gonna bring some fun back into SCs ;)

Protip: if you're gonna try WAR or re-sub to give it another try, join a med or high pop server, this is a PvP game so there's no PvP without the P =-B