Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you continue to play these MMO's ?

GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

MMO's I enjoyed, UO and early SWG.   Tried WOW for 2 weeks and couldnt stand it.  Then I joined LOTRO, because UO had changed, SWG went down the shitter and there was nothing else that  I was interested in.  

Played LOTRO for a year, grinding, questing, exploring..........over and over.

How do you guys keep playing games like this?  How can you stand it?  The only MMO i'm playing now is WAR because I can just log in and start playing right away.  Do a scenario, some PVP or a PQ with a group.  Quests ?  Havent done any in 2 months.  I'll never go back to that kind of gameplay.  

Now I know everyone has their opinion and likes a certain gameplay, but how do you play WOW type clone for so long?  Do you just like the torture ?  

You like playing with your friends , ok I understand.  You want to play with others somehow and feel part of a community.   This type of gameplay just seems so boring to me now.   I don't know, guess i'm just and angry UO veteran looking for an MMO with more freedom and where the community itself created content.  Making up player run event, setting up a player run town and waring other guilds whenever u wanted.  

Sorry for my rant, Warhammer is great but I think we can do better still.  I just feel we have taken a step back from what UO offered us in terms of an online world.

Comments

• LoNeOwNzLoNeOwNz Member Posts: 64

Agreed. No games currently give us the freedom to play as we like. All it is is questing, grinding pvp or raiding, and waiting for the next expansion.

Player run events are virtually non-existant and the community is a joke.

This coming from a WoW perspective.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

i dont .....

the only game that captures my attention that doesnt make me feel like a mouse on a treadmill is Eve and thats a difficult fit.

• leinad312leinad312 Member UncommonPosts: 319

I take my time, maybe one or two hours a night if I even log on. Thus I don't run into the "burnout" effect, and the content seems nearly endless.

Playing - FFXIV,  ESO
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ArcheAge, TSW

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514
    Originally posted by LoNeOwNz

Agreed. No games currently give us the freedom to play as we like. All it is is questing, grinding pvp or raiding, and waiting for the next expansion.

I went back to UO early in 2008.  Now I know alot has changed, but when i visited a town on my old server, it was still up and the old Mayor was still there (Pax Lair, Chesapeake).  He got me back involved , letting me run a tavern in the town.  Was ok, i held some dart contests and we fought off PK's from time to time.  (nothing like it was back in the day, but still decent action)

It was fun for awhile, but most of the old vets left and because of all the expansion, people were spread out all over the place.    

I did see some furniture I made with my Name on them in one shop. (furniture I made back in 1999! ). That was kind of cool.

One guy I ran into and said, "are u the same Gunga Din that worked the forge before Trammel was introduced?" I said, "yea", he said, " I still have some of your valorite armor you made for me.  Never destroyed it, you were the first smith to make me some armor and weapons".

I just don't ever see one of these MMO's ever creating that sort of community.  

• shalldoomshalldoom Member UncommonPosts: 106

No one likes to grind quests over and over again but, the fact is simple..."there is nothing else to do", if you want to progress in a MMORPG you have to quest ....when i get tired of my WOW i go play some DOTA or counter strike.......until some game developer comes up with something new...we are stuck with WOW clones...

• MidnitteMidnitte Member Posts: 510

Originally posted by LoNeOwNz

Indeed, it seems my brother gets more enjoyment playing nexus and all the player-run events it contains. I'm honestly to burnt out from playing WoW nonstop for the top guild on my server and it really has made me stop playing MMOs all together, right now I'm weathering the storm waiting for MMOs without release dates to come out. (looking forward to you LOVE when duke nukem forever comes out!)

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

LOL, I don't anymore.

I did play EQ until I get incredibly annoyed with the raiding mentality, I want to group, or to solo, never to raid.   Cost many later MMO the fact I wouldn't even try them.

I play CoV/CoH until I got aggravated beyond repair at always losing the toys they initially gave me.  Nerf, nerf again, more nerfs, always nerfing.  I am still aggroed on the first nerf I suffer...so eventually, there was only 1 logical conclusion, me leaving or playing other characters...I try the other characters, but they continue their nerfs on these as well.  For the sake of balance, they lost my interest as a player...I am an achiever, an hoarder, that which you gave me, you never take back.

Since that...I am mostly playing tiny games such as D&D tiny adventures on Facebook!  Still need to get my first character to a score of 28k!  :P

My interest into the genre is also at an all time low.  In fact, I was more interested in the first BBS games than I am currently in the MMOs as a whole.  I will try some more MMOs...eventually.  But that isn't anymore on my agenda, the genre might as well disappear, I wouldn't shed a tear.  I try really hard to convince peoples, to no avail, they keep doing their stuff, the way they think is okay...but thing is, in entertainment, you can do some stuff, you have some freedom, but you cannot make a player play a game which he doesn't want to (raiding) or changing the rules non-stop and destroying their achievements (nerfs and smoother XP progression).

Some of my friends are trying to convince me to play LotRO or give WoW a chance, but I am not going to play these.  :)

There are other grouping games, it doesn't have to be a MMO.  It was a natural choice and cute and everything, but the price these devs ask is out of balance (raid/nerfs) and cannot be meet.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268
    Originally posted by GungaDin

How do you guys keep playing games like this?  How can you stand it?  The only MMO i'm playing now is WAR because I can just log in and start playing right away.  Do a scenario, some PVP or a PQ with a group.  Quests ?  Havent done any in 2 months.  I'll never go back to that kind of gameplay.  .....

I don't, I'm not playing any, I would play WAR but I'm super into TBS's and single player RPGs right now.

Galactic civ 2, Civ 4, Evil Genius, Oblivion, Fallout 3, GTA 4, haven't even tried mass effect yet.

But I'm with you, no more static quest BS for me.

• Impact1986Impact1986 Member Posts: 14

I'm in the same boat bro. Seems like 90% of the content in these games is made to keep you PAYING not necessarily to entertain you. Huge constant time sinks are rampant "faction grinds for example". Then you got your tards "god knows there is plenty of them in the MMO community" that think, time sinks = hardcore and challenge. the fact is wasting and devoting tons of time into something doesn't make it challenging at all or even fun for that matter, in fact it makes is tedious, boring, tiresome and dull. 

right now I'm playing world of warcraft after being convinced by friends thats its the greatest mmorpg ever and tons of fun. I have been using refer a friend and I'm about to hit lvl 70 and guess what? I'm bored off my ass due the fact a lot of the content while creative isn't very compelling and is essentially the same through the entire game.

FFXI for something new and fresh or back to age of conan. im undecided on which at the momentany suggestions are appreciated.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Some quest-based games are a lot grindier than others.  Right now, I'm playing Wizard101 and doing a quest to defeat 8 O'Leary Burglars.  Not a hundred of them, not 50, not even 10.  Not eight of these and 15 of those and 20 of the other; just eight of one type of mob. Just eight, and then the quest is over and the game sends you off to go fight something else.  As battles are 1 on 2, that's only 4 battles.  And indeed, eight is more than most of the "kill x of y" quests in the game require.  I guess if you don't like doing PvE content at all, eight might be too many for you, but I don't see the problem.

For what it's worth, I've beaten 4 of the mobs while in the process of typing this short post.  Now I'm almost done with the quest.

And no, it's not a WoW-clone, with its turn-based, probabilistic combat.  I mean real turn based, take 30 seconds to pick your move, not the quasi-turn based that is more real-time than turn based combat of WoW.  It has more complicated strategy than WoW, too.

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

Good replies.  Besides  WAR i'm playing Enemy Territory (free Wolfenstein FPS shooter), Lego Star Wars and some retro RPGS (Bards Tale, Wasteland, Ultima).  Gonna fire up Oblivion soon and look into getting Fallout 3.  

Since I've stopped playing LOTRO, I find myself enjoying gaming again.  No longer feels like work to log on and keep up.  

Looking forward to Diablo 3 :).  Miss,  Myth the Fallen Lords (best online game i ever played). 

• LithomanLithoman Member Posts: 16

I'm right there with ya Gunga,

Been playing MMOs for 6-7 years now. Loved DAoC in the old days and spent three years playing it. Then I lost interest (nurfs, bad expansions, etc.) Played WoW ( 2 yrs), CoX (going on 3 yrs now), and I've tried Vendetta Online (has potential) and was completely overwhelmed by EVE (might try that again sometime).

What I am finding is that no matter which MMO I try, I quickly get tired of the grind (they all have it, some more than others). I still enjoy interacting with people I like in CoX, but then again, sometimes it seems a chore...

So lately I've been thinking about getting back into single player RPGs. I played Baldur's Gate and the like, and really enjoyed those. 

Maybe one day somebody will come up with a truely new and original idea for an MMO and I will become interested again. Until then...

... Anyone have a suggestion for a good RPG?

Cheers!

• Impact1986Impact1986 Member Posts: 14

the witcher would be my personal suggestion. I hold it in high regards better then mass effect even in my opinion.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I don't play the games you mentioned.  I quit WoW a long time ago.  I go back for a 10 day trial just to see what's new and so that I can keep up with the kids and their WoW conversations but after about day 2 I just walk away and let the rest of the 8 days burn up.  WAR wasn't for me either.  Did the Beta test and didn't like where it was going.  I didn't see WAR going very far considering the players they were trying to attract.  It was nothing like DAoC, and WoW kids had no reason to leave a stable game they're familliar with and go play something somewhat like it.  It's the whole "old shoe" thing where nothing fits quite like your old pair.

I think in a few weeks I'll end up upgrading my pc and running some of the single player rpg's at full capacity.  Untill some other game comes out that really appeals to my sensibilities I guess I'll be homeless in regards to MMOs.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• Originally posted by Rekindle

i dont .....
    the only game that captures my attention that doesnt make me feel like a mouse on a treadmill is Eve and thats a difficult fit.

EvE is a difficult fit. For many players for many reasons...excellent game however.(2 year vet here)

I am HoH(hearing impaired) and my speech has degraded to the point of embarassment.

To fully enjoy the PvP and corporate/grouping life of EvE Vent or TS are virtually a must,you can imagine how this reality hinders the enjoyment of the game for a person in my condition.

I don't blame the game or community however,it is my problem.

I would just like to see a game rollout that has the features I enjoy with a less demanding communication system.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

While I sympathize with you all completely, and I've been talking about this subject for ages, I have to say that threads like this make me happy.  The tide is turning on the MMO genre.  We've all done the theme park thing to death, and now more and more people want to go back to games that allow personal expression and freedom.

While I am an advocate of sandbox games were I can forge my own path through the game world, I'm not saying we need total sandbox gameplay to fix the genre.  A nice blend of theme park and sandbox play would be welcome.

I've pretty much come to realize that what I am asking for is going to be a niche game. Games like Earthrise and Fallen Earth are where it's at for me.  Just look at the success of EVE.  I personally can't stand EVE's gameplay, but I applaud it's niche success and hope that more developers will get over this 'WoW killer' garbage.  There is lots of money to be made in smaller MMO's.  The sooner someone realizes this, the better.  Gladly, some small dev houses are getting the message.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• veritas_Xveritas_X Member Posts: 393

I don't think the tide is turning unfortunately.  Sure you have indie games like Darkfall (that may or may not offer what we're looking for), but mmo's have now become mainstream and big business, whereas before they were at best a niche hobby and really only partaken of by nerds and techies (and designed by those same people, with very little input from marketing types). 

Now its almost trendy to play Warcraft.  Lawyers play, executives play, soccer moms play, and those of us who are old school and looking for involving gameplay will always take a back seat to the masses who use online games for the same thing they use rounds of golf and tupperware parties for:  idle chit chat and gossip based around a group activity.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

I don't play them. I do have 2 Eve accounts that are active but cancelled because I grew a little bored with it, but beyond that I'm not playing any MMO currently because they are all lacking big time. There is no MMO that has been released in the last couple of years that is worth a damn.

Frankly, I mostly just play Counter-Strike now as it is the only thing that keeps me occupied with no MMO to play.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300
    Originally posted by leinad312

I take my time, maybe one or two hours a night if I even log on. Thus I don't run into the "burnout" effect, and the content seems nearly endless.

Same here. After 3+ years of EQ1, where I'd spend as much time in Norrath as I did at work and school every day, I got totally burned out on that kind of obsessive gameplay and haven't done that in years. And I've deliberately looked for games since then that don't require that kind of marathon gaming in order to advance.

For me, my MMO time is sparse since I'm closing in on my degree and am looking into grad school. These days, I'll log in to WAR for a couple of hours of oRvR, or into LOTRO for some crafting and a few quests, or into CoH/CoV for a few missions or a TF, then log out. And I rarely play every day anymore. If I get 2-3 good days in a game per week, I'm playing a lot.

IMO, that's ideal. I can still play and enjoy a game and the existing content feels nearly endless. I don't burn through everything anymore, and I don't get burned out. Its great, and keeps the games I sub to fresh for me. Plus, I can still get out of the house and have a real life, too. 

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by GungaDin

MMO's I enjoyed, UO and early SWG.   Tried WOW for 2 weeks and couldnt stand it.  Then I joined LOTRO, because UO had changed, SWG went down the shitter and there was nothing else that  I was interested in.  
    Played LOTRO for a year, grinding, questing, exploring..........over and over.
    How do you guys keep playing games like this?  How can you stand it?  The only MMO i'm playing now is WAR because I can just log in and start playing right away.  Do a scenario, some PVP or a PQ with a group.  Quests ?  Havent done any in 2 months.  I'll never go back to that kind of gameplay.  
    Now I know everyone has their opinion and likes a certain gameplay, but how do you play WOW type clone for so long?  Do you just like the torture ?  
    You like playing with your friends , ok I understand.  You want to play with others somehow and feel part of a community.   This type of gameplay just seems so boring to me now.   I don't know, guess i'm just and angry UO veteran looking for an MMO with more freedom and where the community itself created content.  Making up player run event, setting up a player run town and waring other guilds whenever u wanted.  
    Sorry for my rant, Warhammer is great but I think we can do better still.  I just feel we have taken a step back from what UO offered us in terms of an online world.

Personally I found that pre-nge/cu SWG was the crappiest most boring grindy game I've ever played.  Currently playing HZ (Yes it's a grind but I like my dragon and plot) and CoH.

I find HZ has enough of a storyline to keep me entertained and CoH is just good quick fun.  I like quests, they at least give me the illusion that I'm doing something significant which is more than I can say for most games.

Venge Sunsoar

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i play EVE since i left SWG after almost 5 years, been happy, so i dont know what your problem is. There are plenty of great games out there.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Frankly I play and enjoy WoW because the game is honest about what it is unlike the various 'open world' or 'sandbox' phonies out there.    I went and tried various other MMORPGs that claimed to provide meaningful PvP, player driven economies or a 'free world' feel.  In the end they all turned out to be another 'play the way we want you to play or else no fun for you' bait-and-switch games.  The only one to come close was EVE and that game focuses too much on PvP rather than world building for my tastes.

In the end all the 'freedoms' and 'meaningfull goals' those games offered turned out to be just as meaningless as doing a quest in WoW and I actually like doing quests in WoW.   Since none of the other games gave me the tools for creating a meaningfull world experience I wanted to participate in, I instead chose a game that gives me the toools for creative individual character building.

• snowytechnasnowytechna Member Posts: 185

I understand where your coming from OP.

I tried the WoW trial and got bored in two days.

Guild Wars is the only MMO I am currently active in. You should try it out, PVP is great and requires quite a lot of experience and player skill unlike other games where the only thing that matters is gear.

I recently reinstalled Diablo2 LOD and guess what I am having a blast playing it on Bnet.

Games like WoW, LOTRO,  AOC are crapshit boring...I dont understand how my friends continue to play them. Its all about quest quest then go for some raid, grind the same raid again and again for gear GAH!! mindnumbingly boring.

I am actually trying out the SPRGs like Dungeon Siege and to me they seem eons better than any MMO.

I am thinking of buying Fallout 3 and other new SPRGs...The best thing about the SPRGs nowdays is that all of them have some sort of Multiplayer and playing them is so much more fun than any mainstream MMO like WoW or LOTRO.

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

While I sympathize with you all completely, and I've been talking about this subject for ages, I have to say that threads like this make me happy.  The tide is turning on the MMO genre.  We've all done the theme park thing to death, and now more and more people want to go back to games that allow personal expression and freedom.
    While I am an advocate of sandbox games were I can forge my own path through the game world, I'm not saying we need total sandbox gameplay to fix the genre.  A nice blend of theme park and sandbox play would be welcome.

My feelings too.  I'm currently not subscribed to any MMO for the same reason.  I've just done the whole hand-holding, quest driven, number crunching, kill-loot-level thing until my head exploded.  Simply looking for some developer to make something...ANYTHING that feels different.

I keep coming to this site in the hopes that I see news which shows that some upcoming game is heading in that direction.

From being a huge Planetside fan, I felt that was the closest thing to what I was looking for.  It could have been expanded from something great, to something spectacular, but alas...

Currently playing Medieval2: Total War, Oblivion (although not so much because it's somewhat like the MMOs I've gotten away from), and Team Fortress 2 for my online fix.  Waiting for the release of Empire: Total War in a month.

• MoodahMoodah Member Posts: 181

Playing none of them. If I had more time I would go for eve, but I don't... I started playing alot of single player games on my Xbox, and frankly, I get way more enjoyment from them than from any MMO arround.

The biggest flaw in my opinion, of a way MMOs developed is that in MMO, a massive part of the gameplay is just a thing that blocks you from the end and the process is repetitive and not fun.

In MMOs the feeling of joy does not come from the achievement itself and success of solving the problem, but rather from reward in the end, while single player games are you enjoy in the process of playing.

Good analogy for MMOs at this time is that playing them is like going to a cinema and having to watch through 2,5 hours of washing powder comercials, so you get to see the 5 minutes of the movie in the end.

My time is more precious than that.