Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is hellgate london staying F2P forever?

if so they should of made it like this in the first place, the game was way better than diablo 2 but P2P killed it.

Comments

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Speaking of HG:L  I found my cd's the other day, took them out back and set them on FIRE! 

I'm still kicking myself for spending money on that ... thing.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Another MMO saved from death.... I suppose they will bring in a item shop now and start charging for content and the such.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

AWESOME so hellgate london is still going to stay alive!?!?

We still get to shoot zombies but now we're going to have to pay form a Item mall for the bullets ! only 40 cents a shot! WOOOT

No but seriously If they add an item mall to it I honestly rather it be dead... Hellgate was an amazing game imo, and it had awesome potential for greatness, but I would never touch it as a cash shop game. If they charge for expansions and stuff the 10dollars/mo thing I will get back on it.

• khartman2005khartman2005 Member Posts: 477

Where did you all get the impression that it was going to stay around. The op asked a QUESTION. He was not stating a fact or anything.

• pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505
    Originally posted by khartman2005

Where did you all get the impression that it was going to stay around. The op asked a QUESTION. He was not stating a fact or anything.

They are keeping it alive, but for how long, who knows? A new company has taken over its development and it's now going tobe free2play, but if they can't get subscribers it may just be a temporary resurrection.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by khartman2005

Eh, let's see...the latest headline on the front page of this website for starters. 

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

The game sucks so bad its not even funny. The graphics were not bad, neither was the perspective in which you pay it. Items were nice. Thats it. The rest of the game was horribly designed, alienating, crappy, and empty. If they could actually manage to randomize the game better, make it more open, accessable, massive and unique...fix the npc crap, the lame humor that everyone in beta told them to get rid of, if they could remake the entire game while keeping the item drops and graphics, perspective as well..then maybe it might have a chance at being good.

Im pretty sure it will be targeted at the asian market though if its fixed up.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

It might be the same as it is now though, as the current hosts in NA / EU might not want to return the server database information to the Korean IP owners or carry on running the service for them.

All sorts of contract issues to be resolved before anyone knows its fate.

• DillingerEPDillingerEP Member UncommonPosts: 366

Well as of now, Hellgate London is deader then dead for NA/EU.  I don't know what's the deal with Namco Bandai, they could've sold the IP rights to have servers here.. to Hanbitsoft. But then who know's Hanbitsoft, had any attention of really wanting them. The PR around this game was horrible.

So now its either.

1. Learn Korean

or

2. Maybe Hanbitsoft will be nice enough to put up a english server in Korea. 

or

3. GOD himself craps out a miracle, and Hellgate London is magically brought back to NA/EU. Their will be Unicorns and magic Dragons telling everyone about it....... then to top the glorious day off. Pigs will actually fly!!!!

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

You people are on drugs. HGL was announced to close on Jan 31 in North America/Europe months ago, and it did. Try to go to their site. It no longer exists.

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

Originally posted by levsix

You people are on drugs. HGL was announced to close on Jan 31 in North America/Europe months ago, and it did. Try to go to their site. It no longer exists.

I love it when people try to be smart asses and end up embarassing themselves. 

www.joystiq.com/2009/01/26/hellgate-london-staying-open-as-free-to-play/

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527
    Originally posted by Lydon

Originally posted by levsix

I love it when people try to be smart asses and end up embarassing themselves. 

www.joystiq.com/2009/01/26/hellgate-london-staying-open-as-free-to-play/

As Levsix said, the game's website and servers are all down, or at least inaccessible from the US. This is confirmed by every news post I can find on the topic, including the Wikipedia page. Perhaps HanbitSoft is planning to bring them up again in the future, but for now at least, the game is dead.

Regardless, there was no need to be an ass about it. Who's embarassing themselves, again?

Originally posted by Aethios 
    As Levsix said, the game's website and servers are all down, or at least inaccessible from the US. This is confirmed by every news post I can find on the topic, including the Wikipedia page. Perhaps HanbitSoft is planning to bring them up again in the future, but for now at least, the game is dead.
    Regardless, there was no need to be an ass about it. Who's embarassing themselves, again?

I'm being the ass? I'm not the one going around saying people "are on drugs" for simply stating exactly what was said in a press release by the game owners. 

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527
    Originally posted by Lydon

I'm being the ass? I'm not the one going around saying people "are on drugs" for simply stating exactly what was said in a press release by the game owners. 

He's expressing legitimate confusion regarding an obscure announcement from a single source, which all other sources (including the site itself) point to as being inaccurate, and yet you want to preach it as the gospel truth and crucify him. Maybe he is wrong, I don't know, but there's no evidence at this time to support that conclusion.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I believe one of the articles stated that servers would be down for a time. You will take this strictly as my opinion ...I don't blame you... because I can't, for the life of me, remember where to find the article or if they indicated how long the servers are going to be kept off-line.

He's expressing legitimate confusion regarding an obscure announcement from a single source, which all other sources (including the site itself) point to as being inaccurate, and yet you want to preach it as the gospel truth and crucify him. Maybe he is wrong, I don't know, but there's no evidence at this time to support that conclusion.

"Legitimate confusion" does not involve occusing people of something stupid like that unless you are on drugs yourself. How on earth does the company who owns the game making an announcement account as "an obscure announcement?" This website itself had a news article detailing the press release. 

Maybe if the poster in question had a way of speaking to other people and asking a question like any normal person would he/she wouldn't get attacked in response.

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

It's been one day and I already miss my Dunbars and Lee's Light lance already *sniff*

I'll also miss the 5 man Moloch runs w/ my guildeez.

God, I hope Hanbitsoft lives up to it's claims.

• Gammit100Gammit100 Member UncommonPosts: 439

I really hope they do pick the game up for NA, although I'm not going to hold my breath.

MMO games played or tested: EQ, DAoC, Archlord, Auto Assault, CoH, CoV, EQ2, EVE, Guild Wars, Hellgate: London, Linneage II, LOTRO, MxO, Planetside, SWG, Sword of the New World, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WWIIOL, WOW, Age of Conan

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

Hanbitsoft does own the IP to HGL but has no control over the servers in NA/EU and Japan. Those servers belong to Namco/Bandai. And Namco is not going to deal with Hanbit. Namco has said since October that the game will be no longer available in NA/EU after Jan 31. The original announcement about the game being resurrected in NA/EU was from Gamasutra and they have revised their announcement. This was added.

The announcement comes in spite of a decision by Namco-Bandai, which co-published the game through an agreement with Electronic Arts' EA Partners and still claims to own Western publishing rights, to terminate the game's Western servers.

Here is the article. www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php

And here's the blog, enjoy...

http://hanbitgame-espresso.blogspot.com/2009/01/hgld-updates.html

Hellgate: London, Future Updates are All About Stronger Community

Seoul, Korea - January 23, 2009 – HanbitSoft, Inc. announced today that Hellgate: London, an online action RPG developed by Redbana US Studio, will focus its future updates on strengthening community features. During Hellgate: London’s meeting with fan gamers on the 16th, producers and marketing managers revealed plans regarding the direction of future development and new features to be updated.

Maintaining the Speedy, Thrilling Action Game Elements and Strengthening the Community System

Hellgate: London’s future development direction will be focused on strengthening community features while maintaining the speedy and thrilling action game elements, as many users have wanted better community functionality for quite some time. HanbitSoft revealed the new content that is to be included in the next large-scale patch, which is expected to be released soon. In the upcoming update, HanbitSoft plans to combine the two game play modes, unifying the split two communities into one. Also planned are class balance improvements and differentiation of each of the 5 acts. Gamers who attended the conference applauded this announcement.

Hellgate: London Switches Over to a Free-to-Play Model

During the conference, HanbitSoft also announced that Hellgate: London will soon be serviced in a free-to-play model. This was the first time that any related official announcements had been made. HanbitSoft explained that by switching over to a free-to-play model, users will feel less burdened, opening the doors to a larger, more diverse gaming community. The date of the free-to-play switch over is undetermined at this point, but HanbitSoft stated that more news will be released through the official Hellgate: London website soon.

For more information, visit the official Hellgate: London website at http://hg.hanbiton.com/ or contact Janelle Ha at [email protected].

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by firefly2003

Another MMO saved from death.... I suppose they will bring in a item shop now and start charging for content and the such.

You reallly need to revise your definition of MMO. Because Shellgame: London was anything but an MMO.

Singleplayer: yes.

Multiplayer addon: yes.

Massively multiplayer: not even close.

Originally posted by Zorvan

Originally posted by firefly2003

You reallly need to revise your definitoin of MMO. Because Shellgame: London was anything but an MMO.

Singleplayer: yes.

Multiplayer addon: yes.

Massively multiplayer: not even close.

Zorvan is correct.  It's actually and ActionRPGMUD (Multi-User Dungeon/Dimension) should be the proper catergory in which HGL should fall under.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

I actually rather they let hellgate London Rest in peace than it revived and become a crappy Korean Grind fest where getting something done near end game costs you 100+ dollars from the cash shop..

Knowing Habitsofts history with Sword of the new world Id say Hopes dont look to high on the fair cash shop ideas ether...

Originally posted by Calintz333

I actually rather they let hellgate London Rest in peace than it revived and become a crappy Korean Grind fest where getting something done near end game costs you 100+ dollars from the cash shop..

Knowing Habitsofts history with Sword of the new world Id say Hopes dont look to high on the fair cash shop ideas ether...

Considering that I've enjoyed this title for countless hours of Stonehenge fun, and doing the Wilds, looking for the Dessicator, I would hate to see that happen.  However, I mirror your pessimism on such matters.  To be honest I would rather pay monthly for it, then have an item shop.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

It was a shallow, repetitive FPS from day one, and never got any better in spite of the "Ah, but in the NEXT patch..." comments on the official forums. I couldn't credit the fact that some people actually enthused about it!  They must have had extremely low gaming expectations.

I mean, come on - even Flagship's own staff couldn't actually explain some of the game mechanics and how they actually worked in-game.  That just has to be as low as you can sink, as regards game design.

The Guy Fawkes "event" was pitiful, with fantastic Event Items being dropped by mobs such as.... apples and potatoes.  Mmmm, right.  We kan haz epic loot?

Stick a fork in Hellgate - it's done, and best forgotten.