Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the most epic boss you ever fought in an mmorpg ?

Comments

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

My choice is not from a true mmorpg but from an rpgMUD.  I enjoyed, and addictively so, Moloch, the boss of Stonehenge in Hellgate London.  And unfortunately a dying game at that.  Of course that would be in a 5 man party. :)

Alas, poor Hellgate, you were a noble game.

• BodeusBodeus Member Posts: 516

[quote][i]Originally posted by hidden1[/i] My choice is not from a true mmorpg but from an rpgMUD.  I enjoyed, and addictively so, Moloch, the boss of Stonehenge in Hellgate London.  And unfortunately a dying game at that.  Of course that would be in a 5 man party. :) Alas, poor Hellgate, you were a noble game.[/quote]

Off Topic Hellgate is coming back F2P, you know.

blog.wired.com/games/2009/01/hellgate-london.html

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Bodeus

[quote][i]Originally posted by hidden1[/i] My choice is not from a true mmorpg but from an rpgMUD.  I enjoyed, and addictively so, Moloch, the boss of Stonehenge in Hellgate London.  And unfortunately a dying game at that.  Of course that would be in a 5 man party. :) Alas, poor Hellgate, you were a noble game.[/quote]

Off Topic Hellgate is coming back F2P, you know.

blog.wired.com/games/2009/01/hellgate-london.html

Not off topic, as this is about what was the most epic boss.. besides, that has happened yet, and will remain skeptical of Hanbitsoft's claims as to this happening.  I hope it comes true, but I will remain skeptical minded and not be a fanboi about it and believe everything that most companies claim.  Proof is in the pudding, and I'll believe it when I see it.

• MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176

HOGGER!!!

• vardarvardar Member Posts: 282

EQ1 has by far the best Raids and bosses of all time, when you have near 100 people fighting for over an hour, that seems merely impossible to achieve, heck i remember waiting for people to show up for WoW raids, and there wansnt nearly as many people as EQ1 had, and to top it all of, you needed all of the people to be on the same page, set up healing rotations, have the necromance feeding the healers.....and so on and so on, anybody who has played EQ1 truly understands the power of Raiding, and anyone who hasnt experienced EQ1 raiding has missed out what an 'Epic battle' truly means...

• Calind0rCalind0r Member Posts: 735

First Antharas and Valakas killed took 200 people and about 20 deaths each, 4 hours to defeat.

• ShadowpodShadowpod Member UncommonPosts: 29

eq kerafym the sleeper rz ftw ^_^ ... the boss was intended to be undefeatable by players...but it was done damnit....lol supposedly the first time players raided it they got it to 27 percent and the zone was reset becasue someone thought something was wrong with the game hahaha but aye i agree with vardar

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by Miklosan

HOGGER!!!

RUN!!!!!

hehe I still can't help but notice all the skeletons and dead bodies around his spawn area.

Hogger Raid Videos!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erts8g6d_lk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbXGxiYS6-g

• GemmaGemma Member UncommonPosts: 337

Ragnaros and Onyxia, hands down for me.  All the new content is easy.  Back in classic WoW, you had to raid for real, hours on end each night in order to clear stuff.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Krayt dragon pre-cu SWG.

3 guilds got together when we found one on Tatooine and spent ages fighting and dying to that thing, until we finally killed it. It was the most PVE fun I've ever had in an MMORPG, we were throwing everything we had and it was ripping guys down like you wouldn't believe.

Nothing else comes even close to that, before ore since :(

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Once I fought a Drake in EQ2. It wasnt the bigger one, is just the only one I remmember clearly right now. It was a 3 groups raid. I was atemplar in the main group, It was fun.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by Calind0r

First Antharas and Valakas killed took 200 people and about 20 deaths each, 4 hours to defeat.

I saw a Vid about Antharas. Awesome dragon.

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

I'd say Antharas from L2 in the good old days.

Shame to the fucking retarded NCSoft who's letting such a good game to go down and focus on another.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

"What is the most epic boss you ever fought......."

My wife.

• MallarkyMallarky Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by Tibbz

hehe... the ORIGINAL naggy and Vox raids in EQ1

wipes tear from eye, ahh memories

• TwilightAdyTwilightAdy Member Posts: 7

Bumping this ^^

Thanks for the replies so far, going to youtube some of these when I have the time to check what I missed.

On a side note, what does everyone see as epic ? It seems the majority of the replies here are about big raids, big dragons, and large amounts of time invested. All of which I would agree with being epic.

For me, the thing that was absolutely coolest about the Kael'Thas fight (apart from gravity lapse)... when he ascends at the beginning of the 4th phase, dragged up by his magic, causing a massive explosion in the room, shattering all the glass - you look outside and actually see netherstorm, where you probably just came from after a wipe. Kael'Thas, now twice the size he was before, descends to start the fight again. This to me was epic on Ultimecia scales (if you have ever played FF8). :)

• xiukwaixiukwai Member Posts: 16

Edwin Vancleef from the deadmines

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531
    Originally posted by xiukwai

Edwin Vancleef from the deadmines

Best low level instance ever!

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    Originally posted by Shadowpod

eq kerafym the sleeper rz ftw ^_^ ... the boss was intended to be undefeatable by players...but it was done damnit....lol supposedly the first time players raided it they got it to 27 percent and the zone was reset becasue someone thought something was wrong with the game hahaha but aye i agree with vardar

The conspiracy isn't that it was reset to fix anything, but that it was reset because the devs/GMs didn't know what would happen if the sleeper died.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• FeinderFeinder Member Posts: 2

For anyone that can remember it...

[Crap just noticed that the screenship of Lord British getting PK'd was copy-writed. ]

Crap.

Well, for any old-schoolers:  Here's a link to Wiki.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_British

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    Originally posted by Feinder

Ahh, the death of Lord British. Good times. Holy crap, just realized it happened on my birthday.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by Feinder

[crap just noticed that the screenship of Lord British getting PK'd was copy-writed.  Crap.
    Well, for any old-schoolers:  Here's a link to Wiki.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_British

OMG that takes me back!!!  I miss UO!

And I just remembered one of the most epic encounters in all of MMO history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xovc-8TI14

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Without a doubt its Absolute Virtue from FFXI. I was in a Japanese LS and we formed a massive alliance with all major Japanese LS's, and several equipt with relics. Our tank  had 2 excalibur/aegis. We had well over 150 people and the majority of us had really nice equipment.   We fought Absolute virtue for hours upon hours. 

Whatever the key to doing it is, no one has found out how its done(to my knowlage anyways.) It cant get anymore epic than that. 

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

The dragons from the L2 pics look great!  Never played it though.   Some of the ex-EQers sound like they had similar raids to that of DAOC.  From my personal experience, the most "epic" boss(es) I've fought would have to be the first Legion raid after Darkness Falls was released in DAOC.  80-100+ people, wiping left and right, sure it was a clusterfck but it sure had an epic feel.  That and any of the dragons in DAOC the first time I fought em.

I read an article about that whole FF online boss and some players fighting it for hours and hours and never killing it, I fail to see how that is epic, sounds like a waste of time to me.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

The Molten Core bosses in WoW. Back before MC was nerfed, and no one knew the strategies needed to take down the bosses.... it took a lot of trial and error as well as perfect timing and roles being played out. We were one of the first guilds to beat MC and honestly it was the most epic feeling. The bosses were so so difficult and only certain methods could bring them down, even then one wrong move and a wipe could happen. Again this is BEFORE they made MC easier. Blizzard didnt want people to beat it yet.

This discussion has been closed.