Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the most epic boss you ever fought in an mmorpg ?

Hi,

I just thought I would start this topic, as the title said, asking what the most epic boss you fought in an mmorpg was, and more importantly, why.

I've been a hardcore WoW player for about 2 years now, and I've seen all of the content, and while I don't have any other mmorpg to compare it to, I think the game has some pretty immense encounters. The four that defined the game for me:

C'thun: Possibly the strangest boss I have ever come across in any game, let alone in an mmorpg. A giant eyeball that fires constant beams of death everywhere (you can easily get one shotted in this fight), spawns tentacles all around the room you fight him in, and, weirdest of all, you have to get swallowed by him and attack the inside of his stomach in the second phase to take him down. But what was most epic about this encounter was the voices, the whispering: "Your friends will abandon you", C'thun whispers on a number of occassions. This made the encounter epically creepy and all the better for it.

Kael'Thas Sunstrider: I often hear this is WoW player's favourite encoutner, and quite rightly so, it's epic beyond all proportions. A fight designed to make you panic, his assistants slowly release one by one, and you take them down; he then reanimates some weapons which you also have to take down, and then all of his advisors get resurrected at once: before Kael himself descents upon the unexpecting raid group. Thus follows the most panicked I have ever been while playing an mmorpg: phoenix's spawning which slowly die but their eggs must be dpsed, shock barrier which must be destroyed before Kael one-shots the tank, and finally, the most interesting gimmick I have ever seen in a boss fight: Gravity Lapse, the whole raid is teleported to Kael and flung into the air where gravity ceases to exist. You get to swim around in the air while trying to avoid the chain lightning, waiting for it to end so you can go and pound the boss. A truly epic fight that was sadly overlooked (once the attunements for harder content was removed) by much of the community.

Kalecgos:  Another gimmicky fight that I remember wiping for weeks on, but I can honestly say that for the weeks I wiped I did not once get bored of the fight. Basically two fights at once: A dragon in one realm, a demon in the other. You have to kill both within a few seconds of each other, or the fight will fail. How this is achieved is through portals which spawn randomly throughout the fight, and players must take the right portal at the right time with their group, to ensure that both bosses go down equally, there are enough healers in each realm, there is a tank for each realm, etc. What made this fight for me was the pure teamwork that went into it: It was the first time in my WoW career that everyone spoke on vent, when they had gone through the portal, and the fight as a whole was beautifully designed.

Kil'Jaeden: The final boss of the TBC period (as you might be able to tell, this is where I spent most of my time raiding) was the epic fight that it had always promised to be, much more so than an epic-but-ever-so-disappointing Illadin fight. While most guilds didnt get to see this pre-nerf (mine included) due to the cock-block that was M'uru, the fight after it had been nerfed still seemed as epic as it had always been. A fight of many phases, with many things to dodge (meteors, fireblooms), Kil'Jaeden would also spawn mirror images of a random party member which had to be taken down swiftly, and would regularly cast his ultimate move "Darkness of a thousand souls", which would instantly kill anyone in the raid. How was this countered ? Due to the allies you had made along the course of the game, the blue dragonflight are here to help you and provide you with - you guessed it - dragons. Chosen members of the raid would control a dragon which would help provide buffs and would shield party members during darkness, and added a new dynamic to the fight. Getting him down was much harder than it seemed, and like Kael'Thas, it was a fight primarly designed to make you panic. Getting him down was amazing and it was a fitting end to The Burning Crusade.

So, now that I've shared my experiences I would love to hear yours from mmorpgs - whether they be epic 40 man raid bosses, ones you've killed in a small group or even something you have soloed, are there any fights out there that have made you gasp in awe and yet thoroughly enjoy at the same time ?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZoMBiEXxXZoMBiEXxX Member Posts: 107

One word.

Hogger

"Da bigger da Orc, da stronger da Orc. Da stronger da Orc, da more dat's Orc's da boss. No wonder da Black Orcs is always da bosses!"
    - Splinta, a Goblin in the Bloody Sun Boyz tribe

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    Originally posted by TwilightAdy

Hi,
    I just thought I would start this topic, as the title said, asking what the most epic boss you fought in an mmorpg was, and more importantly, why.
    I've been a hardcore WoW player for about 2 years now, and I've seen all of the content, and while I don't have any other mmorpg to compare it to, I think the game has some pretty immense encounters. The four that defined the game for me:
    C'thun: Possibly the strangest boss I have ever come across in any game, let alone in an mmorpg. A giant eyeball that fires constant beams of death everywhere (you can easily get one shotted in this fight), spawns tentacles all around the room you fight him in, and, weirdest of all, you have to get swallowed by him and attack the inside of his stomach in the second phase to take him down. But what was most epic about this encounter was the voices, the whispering: "Your friends will abandon you", C'thun whispers on a number of occassions. This made the encounter epically creepy and all the better for it.
    Kael'Thas Sunstrider: I often hear this is WoW player's favourite encoutner, and quite rightly so, it's epic beyond all proportions. A fight designed to make you panic, his assistants slowly release one by one, and you take them down; he then reanimates some weapons which you also have to take down, and then all of his advisors get resurrected at once: before Kael himself descents upon the unexpecting raid group. Thus follows the most panicked I have ever been while playing an mmorpg: phoenix's spawning which slowly die but their eggs must be dpsed, shock barrier which must be destroyed before Kael one-shots the tank, and finally, the most interesting gimmick I have ever seen in a boss fight: Gravity Lapse, the whole raid is teleported to Kael and flung into the air where gravity ceases to exist. You get to swim around in the air while trying to avoid the chain lightning, waiting for it to end so you can go and pound the boss. A truly epic fight that was sadly overlooked (once the attunements for harder content was removed) by much of the community.
    Kalecgos:  Another gimmicky fight that I remember wiping for weeks on, but I can honestly say that for the weeks I wiped I did not once get bored of the fight. Basically two fights at once: A dragon in one realm, a demon in the other. You have to kill both within a few seconds of each other, or the fight will fail. How this is achieved is through portals which spawn randomly throughout the fight, and players must take the right portal at the right time with their group, to ensure that both bosses go down equally, there are enough healers in each realm, there is a tank for each realm, etc. What made this fight for me was the pure teamwork that went into it: It was the first time in my WoW career that everyone spoke on vent, when they had gone through the portal, and the fight as a whole was beautifully designed.
    Kil'Jaeden: The final boss of the TBC period (as you might be able to tell, this is where I spent most of my time raiding) was the epic fight that it had always promised to be, much more so than an epic-but-ever-so-disappointing Illadin fight. While most guilds didnt get to see this pre-nerf (mine included) due to the cock-block that was M'uru, the fight after it had been nerfed still seemed as epic as it had always been. A fight of many phases, with many things to dodge (meteors, fireblooms), Kil'Jaeden would also spawn mirror images of a random party member which had to be taken down swiftly, and would regularly cast his ultimate move "Darkness of a thousand souls", which would instantly kill anyone in the raid. How was this countered ? Due to the allies you had made along the course of the game, the blue dragonflight are here to help you and provide you with - you guessed it - dragons. Chosen members of the raid would control a dragon which would help provide buffs and would shield party members during darkness, and added a new dynamic to the fight. Getting him down was much harder than it seemed, and like Kael'Thas, it was a fight primarly designed to make you panic. Getting him down was amazing and it was a fitting end to The Burning Crusade.

So, now that I've shared my experiences I would love to hear yours from mmorpgs - whether they be epic 40 man raid bosses, ones you've killed in a small group or even something you have soloed, are there any fights out there that have made you gasp in awe and yet thoroughly enjoy at the same time ?

Quarm Slaughters Kael Thas

Tanvu Slaughters Kil'Jadean

Mata Muram slaughters Kalecgos (my old wow server)

Lol, sorry I had to do the comparison of the two, not to take away from your moments. So please don't take this the wrong way =D

Actually in EQ we had epic 72 man raids and 54 man raids =D

• TwilightAdyTwilightAdy Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Eronakis

Hi,

Quarm Slaughters Kael Thas

Tanvu Slaughters Kil'Jadean

Mata Muram slaughters Kalecgos (my old wow server)

Lol, sorry I had to do the comparison of the two, not to take away from your moments. So please don't take this the wrong way =D

Actually in EQ we had epic 72 man raids and 54 man raids =D

Oh don't worry ;) I genuinely am interested. I want to see what I have been missing. And I'd like to hear about bosses that are more epic that the ones I have seen in WoW ;)

• gFizgFiz Member Posts: 153

For it's time, Darathar in EQ2.

• KalengarKalengar Member Posts: 30

The PoEarth Rathe Council fight in EQ Planes of Power was an Epic hour long non - stop tough near impossible at first - fight.  It took several months before any top end guild could come close to beating it.

I would say that it's place in the game made it the toughest fight out of any i've been a part of.  It truly tested everyones ability to work together.  The equipment you had to work with at that point was just barely good enough to get you by if you all executed perfectly.  Of course after beating it and moving on to find better gear RC was put on farm status and became just another boring grind.  But those first 10-15 attempts before the guild was all geared up were Epic!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Oh don't worry ;) I genuinely am interested. I want to see what I have been missing. And I'd like to hear about bosses that are more epic that the ones I have seen in WoW ;)

Well, if that is the case, though I haven't raided these, Antharas and Valakas from Lineage 2

Antharas:

http://www.bladenknight.com/resources/antharas_pappi.jpg

Valakas:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/images.gamezone.com/screens/28/4/24/s28424_pc_91.JPG

In Lineage 2 there are no 56 or 25 or whatever man raids. You take as many as you can get (especially for the above) and hope for the best.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

I liked Venril sathir from EQ2 because he was a fight more about paying attention than pure DPS power. basically at a certain percentage of his HP everyone in the raid would have to get thier power between 30% and 60%. If you were above or below that at anytime he would wipe the raid, plus he would put a power drain on people that could not be cured so they would have to call out to be powerfed. as well as random debuffs that would make people expend twice the amount of power for spells.

best thing is if you drop below or go above allowed amount a BIG RED message would be sent to everyone in the raid ... "BECAUSE OF RAVANOS'S LACK OF WILL VENRIL SATHIR WAS ABLE TO GAIN AN ADVANTAGE"

*BAM* raid wipe (it was something to that extent probably quoting it wrong but you get the idea)

Maestro in EQ2 was also pretty nasty putting bomb debuffs on people in raids that if they stood near someone they would kill them instantly. had to have people clicking a special item from the zone or he would wipe the raid. debuffing the tank so they couldn't do anything ... making the guild constantly switch tanks. And of course his Curse debuff that made healers damage those they are trying to heal.

Overking was fun ... not as tough as the others but still quite fun as an offtank. basically you would have to split your raid so that while the Main tank the MT healers and a few DPS burn overking the rest of the raid stands back from him killing 6 adds that come to his aid every 30 seconds, they would stun and add various debuffs to the raid as they attacked ... they had to be picked up by the offtank immediately.

at a certain percentage the balls of flames would spawn and move toward overking ... if they reached him he would unleash an AOE blast that would wipe the raids. these would have to be killed at range, if someone meleed them overking would summon them and kill them. and mind you this is still while those adds are attacking every 30 seconds. And if anyone died Overking himself would be healed for 2% of his health.

lots of great raid scripts in EQ2. And i havent even done any raids in the new expansion.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

By far the most epic boss in any mmo has to be the encounter with Absolute Virtue in FFXI.  He is 99.9% fail rate.  As far as I know only gms have beaten him lol.

• FadeToBlack3FadeToBlack3 Member Posts: 89

I would have to agree with the above mentioned Kael'thas, that was truely an all encompassing fight, and it truely felt like an accomplishment in teamwork to take him down.

On that note, I also remember the first time I fought shiro in guild wars factions and he murdered our party in just a few seconds. He was alot easier once you got used to what he did, but it still felt pretty epic for the time.

Wolfenpride: <--Giant fucking sword syndrome.

Probably cause im trying to compensate for miniscule manhood.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by Gravarg

By far the most epic boss in any mmo has to be the encounter with Absolute Virtue in FFXI.  He is 99.9% fail rate.  As far as I know only gms have beaten him lol.

Pretty much, I don't think anyone has reported a successful defeat yet!  Even with the video the FFXI devs released hinting at how to defeat him.  Lets see, he's been in the game for what 3+ years now and still nobody has defeated him, and on top of that it takes months of preparation just to try and usually fail...LOL

Keep in mind though to others that havn't played FFXI, this boss is entirely optional and not required by any means to fight.  He's just an optional very very hard boss...

• Sneakers05Sneakers05 Member Posts: 316

No doubt the most epic fight in all of mmorpg history was Ragnaros in his prime, when there was no TBC and a majority of people were still getting their asses handed to them by onyxia. The ragnaros fight was one ill always remember.

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

Fatalis. The first time I faced this badboy in MH I tried to melee him. Bad mistake.

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• Calind0rCalind0r Member Posts: 735

This thread has been done. I've cleared all WotlK content in WoW, and about 75% of TBC content...but not a single boss in WoW came even remotely close to feeling epic as L2's epic raids.

The 2 that stand out the most are of course Antharas and Valakas:

I dont have any of Antharas on my comp atm, but heres some googled ones

heres also a stupid vid I made of Valakas (just the PvE) when I was bored.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=C7rlIfXZUl0&fmt=22

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

Those dragons look great, but you haven't explained why the encounters can't compare to WoW's.

I used to lead 72 man raids in EQ1 (after PoP 54).  I have the Rathe encounter burned into my brain - there was a point where you NEEDED 72 people 100% concentrating for like 45 minutes non-stop.  And EQ1 does have many, many excellent and epic raids (the whole game is basically about raiding now anyway).

However I have to say that World of Warcraft has the best raids going.  I'll admit I haven't tried Lineage 2 raids, but I could NOT get past the non-raiding game of eternally long grind, and I'm a bit dubious if one high-resolution dragon is really as interesting as WoW's raids.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• dirtyklingondirtyklingon Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by Calind0r

This thread has been done. I've cleared all WotlK content in WoW, and about 75% of TBC content...but not a single boss in WoW came even remotely close to feeling epic as L2's epic raids.
    The 2 that stand out the most are of course Antharas and Valakas:

I dont have any of Antharas on my comp atm, but heres some googled ones

heres also a stupid vid I made of Valakas (just the PvE) when I was bored.
    http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=C7rlIfXZUl0&fmt=22

nothing beats watching your 200+ man raid wipe because at 25% hp antharas suddenly starts going apeshit berzerk with godly hp regen. i hated antharas with a passion back in the day.

KERPLAH!

• Calind0rCalind0r Member Posts: 735

Well aside from thsoe dragons giving a chill down your spine when you see them. They have long respawn times (8 and 11 days)...they also drop enough loot and money to fully gear up half a dozen people...therefore everyone wants to kill them. Not to mention everytime they die, they drop 1 precious "boss jewel"...picture if you were geared in WoW with white gear (no stats), and you got a purple ring, how much bonus it would give you...thats what the gear in L2 is like. (You actually can get a small stat bonus from wearing a full set of armour, though..but its nothing drastic)

The bosses have a small spawn window, in which they can randomly spawn in. Before they spawn, clans will camp the entrance to their lairs to control it, massive PvP will happen with all the best clans on your server trying to win...when the boss spawns, it is asleep at first. Once the first person teleports inside to the lair (you can teleport with an item after doing a special repeatable quest)...After that moment the boss wakes up in 20 or so minutes, after it is awake you can no longer teleport inside and it won't go back to sleep until 20 minutes after everyone inside is dead...so the winners of the PvP will get to kill the boss...but if they wipe they get kicked out, have to repeat the quest, and contend with their enemies who also want the boss.

So the bosses are kind of a big deal, usually after each raid boss fight and kill theres a multiple paged thread that lasts on your server's community forums discussing (flaming) what happened. When the bosses first came out they took hundreds of people to kill...enemied clans would have to form an alliance just for the sake of defeating them...but as the game grew, people got better gear, strategies,etc...the amount of people dropped dramatically. I think and have pretty much proved that too many people on those bosses just makes it harder...Theres a sweet spot you need to hit for each 4-6 parties (36-50 people) for the best efficiency. I've done Antharas with 27 people in ~30 minutes, and I've also tried Antharas with 90 people and failed.

They're just overwhelming bosses at sometimes. They can 1 shot a whole party of people if you aren't paying attention (resurrections in L2 happen all the time...its normal to have a 50 vs 50 PvP last  over 10 minutes because healers keep resurrecting at all cost (1 class has a skill to resurrect all nearby clan members) and it drags on until each site is fatigued and totally out of mana and consumables (target choice and strategy is very important when its like that). Antharas will slap his tail on the ground and send everyone nearby it flying in the air and stunned...he'll cast fear and if you get it you'll run away for like 30 seconds...sucks when your healer gets feared. He'll stomp and rocks will fall from the cave on to ranged attackers, at low HP he goes into berserk and bites the ground causing spikes to rise up in front of him, and they can often 1 shot anyone caught in them.

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

hehe... the ORIGINAL naggy and Vox raids in EQ1

• TrissaTrissa Member Posts: 251

You asked for epic, then i have to agree with people coming from Lineage II.

Antharas of course. Nothing to do with (let me say it with all my respects) the puzzle-bosses of the other games i have played). 150+ men (last time i was there), more than 2 hours to fight this evil drake to show who have the power plus the fights to make our path through the Lair against monsters and rival clans. A war that lasts the full weekend (not 24 hours a day of course).

I have great memories on Lord Deimos (AC2). Was a epic move too. Can't remember numbers but was a almost full server move. 

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202
    Originally posted by Ravanos

I liked Venril sathir from EQ2 because he was a fight more about paying attention than pure DPS power. basically at a certain percentage of his HP everyone in the raid would have to get thier power between 30% and 60%. If you were above or below that at anytime he would wipe the raid, plus he would put a power drain on people that could not be cured so they would have to call out to be powerfed. as well as random debuffs that would make people expend twice the amount of power for spells.
    best thing is if you drop below or go above allowed amount a BIG RED message would be sent to everyone in the raid ... "BECAUSE OF RAVANOS'S LACK OF WILL VENRIL SATHIR WAS ABLE TO GAIN AN ADVANTAGE"
    *BAM* raid wipe (it was something to that extent probably quoting it wrong but you get the idea)
    Maestro in EQ2 was also pretty nasty putting bomb debuffs on people in raids that if they stood near someone they would kill them instantly. had to have people clicking a special item from the zone or he would wipe the raid. debuffing the tank so they couldn't do anything ... making the guild constantly switch tanks. And of course his Curse debuff that made healers damage those they are trying to heal.
    Overking was fun ... not as tough as the others but still quite fun as an offtank. basically you would have to split your raid so that while the Main tank the MT healers and a few DPS burn overking the rest of the raid stands back from him killing 6 adds that come to his aid every 30 seconds, they would stun and add various debuffs to the raid as they attacked ... they had to be picked up by the offtank immediately.
    at a certain percentage the balls of flames would spawn and move toward overking ... if they reached him he would unleash an AOE blast that would wipe the raids. these would have to be killed at range, if someone meleed them overking would summon them and kill them. and mind you this is still while those adds are attacking every 30 seconds. And if anyone died Overking himself would be healed for 2% of his health.
    lots of great raid scripts in EQ2. And i havent even done any raids in the new expansion.

That would be awesome. Though there would be a high /gkick rate in wow lol. At least they can hide there.

Although I have not fought many one of my favorites is HK-47, mostly cause I like the character.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

• slask777slask777 Member Posts: 706

Onyxia, pre-tbc World of Warcraft. That dragon gave me chills the first time I saw her, and I actually cheered in real life the first time I saw her fall Even better was that when you killed her, you could take her head and stick it on a pike in your sides main city and get a global announcement and global buff!!!1 telling everyone that you whooped her ass. The buff was even quite useful, especially for lowbies.

---
    Grammar nazi's. This one is for you.

• Craz_zCraz_z Member Posts: 34

100 percent agree on original Vox and Naggy raids in EQ1. At the time, that was truly epic.

Trakanon in eq2. Quality raidage.

Mythical Weapon achievement, although not a single mob, will get you a server wide message to everyone about your playing addiction.

Read an article about a FF mob that a guild fought for like 10 hours without dropping it. That's just not fun at all.

"Woah....Wait......Dude, am I driving right now?"

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Ragnaros back in 2005 when everybody was in greens and blues. I still remember those yells in ventrilo after we defeated him.

• BodeusBodeus Member Posts: 516

doh i was gonna say hogger but someone beat me to it

• CelastinCelastin Member Posts: 68

it was an epic battle in EQ was a dragon its been so long i cant think of its name

This discussion has been closed.