Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Adding the Choppa and the Slayer

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Mythic Entertainment announced today that as a part of their live expansion, Call to Arms, the two remaining careers will be added to the game, the Orc Choppa and the Dwarf Slayer. Yesterday, MMORPG.com's Jon Wood spoke with Mythic's Jeff Hickman about the new careers.

Warhammer Screenshot

Looking back over the original design ideas for Warhammer Online, the developers had planned for each race to have four careers associated with it. Before launch though, we learned that four of those careers had been cut and would wait until they were completed before being implemented into the game. Those four careers were: Empire Knight of the Blazing Sun, Dark Elf Blackguard, Orc Choppa and Dwarf Hammerer.

Since launch, the fourths for both Empire and the Dark Elves have launched and been successfully integrated into the game. Today, we learned that the Greenskins and Dwarves will have their day in March, but there’s a bit of a catch. Instead of the Hammerer, Dwarf fans will be treated to another Melee DPS class, The Slayer.

Read Adding the Choppa and the Slayer

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• Player_420Player_420 Member Posts: 686

So with NO CLASS BALANCE WHAT-SO-EVER in this game after all this time... They decide to roll out ANOTHER 2 classes, WITHOUT BALANCING KNNIGHT OF THE BLAZING SUN OR THE BLACK GUARD

on top of that, no personal RvR freedom, cause now you'll just get kicked out.

Just like DAoC, this game has gone from good to bad....and i spent all those months in closed beta for them to ruin the game I love.

I play all ghame

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Oh HELL Yes. Slayer Here i come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• MarcelinoMarcelino Member UncommonPosts: 124

"Mythic Entertainment announced today that as a part of their live expansion, Call to Arms,"

er....where was this expansion accounced?? There is nothing about it on the European WAR website, unless they are a bit behind updating thier news??

• boingedboinged Member UncommonPosts: 161

Er this is actually good news - each race now has the full complement of classes. These two classes are apparently very similar so relative to each other they are going to be pretty balanced. Also, it's not like Order will be able to QQ that Destro have this kind of melee DPS when they have it too.

I'm looking forward to the Choppa as it matches my gung ho, suicidal type of gameplay. It will be interesting to see how squishy they are and how powerful compared to Witch Elves and if they'll be the new focus fire target.

• boingedboinged Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Originally posted by Marcelino

"Mythic Entertainment announced today that as a part of their live expansion, Call to Arms,"
    er....where was this expansion accounced?? There is nothing about it on the European WAR website, unless they are a bit behind updating thier news??

Go to the US site or Warhammer Alliance. The EU site has a nice story about the Slayer.

• iamspamicusiamspamicus Member UncommonPosts: 114

I also wonder if they have had enough time to balance these new classes so closely after adding the other 2. New classes that are free are always cool, but I wonder how well they will work. Has there been any other game that added 4  classes free after release?

- I know people will say they were suppose to be in at  launch, but the fact is they weren't.  Comparatively, wow said they would add more classes and it's taken them years to add death knight.

Another issue would be if they don't add any more character slots. Maybe at the very least 1 more slot since  there are 2 new per side. I had a full char page and that was before they added the the last 2. I like to try all the different classes but  adding 4 new classes without adding  slots is just  lame imo.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

Just what the game needs...... more watered down classes to add to the bland, generic collection they already have. World of Warcraft is the reason why less is more because they made each class fun and unique and you can always find one that is special to you. I spent all my time in WAR working out that none of the classes are interesting because they're all watered down into archetypes so you end up having 3 of the same thing per side with only a few specials each, instead of one and having it with more specials to choose from and more interesting to play. So I just feel like classes were so watered down they lost their idenity.

That is WAR all over though, it lacks soul, personality and just comes off as a generic Warcraft. I don't care if Warhammer came first because Warcraft does it better.

• sairuscosairusco Member Posts: 133

Finally, the dwarf slayer, just the thing to get me resub to war. (I'm serious here, was thinking for a while to resub, but the lack of classes that suited me on order side kinda kept me from playing.. I was waiting for the dwarf hammerer, but the dwarf slayer is a dream coming true for me)

• WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

I had a feeling Hammerers were getting the axe so the more desirable Slayers could be put in. When they are finally added, i'm definately going to reactivate my account to try 'em out. Hopefully by then many of the games problems will have been worked out as well.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

Yes!!!!  This is great news indeed! I also went to the Warhammer site and they have a outstanding line up of  live events, added content, new rvr realms coming in the next few months. One per month.

Also a new free trial for everyone.

It amuses me to see the very first post on this topic is a ...well whatever, bashing the game as it moves forward with a large fanbase behind it.

And the WoW kid amuses aswell, I am glad they stay in WoW and leave Warhammer to the fans.

Back to topic,

Good news indeed!

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570

Ok, so I'll look at the game again in June, but I am not playing paid beta anymore.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787
    Originally posted by Channce

Ok, so I'll look at the game again in June, but I am not playing paid beta anymore.

....but if you look at the game again in June thats exactly what you will be doing as the game still isnt going to be at a stage of completion by then. Missing cities?

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787
    Originally posted by John.A.Zoid

Just what the game needs...... more watered down classes to add to the bland, generic collection they already have. World of Warcraft is the reason why less is more because they made each class fun and unique and you can always find one that is special to you. I spent all my time in WAR working out that none of the classes are interesting because they're all watered down into archetypes so you end up having 3 of the same thing per side with only a few specials each, instead of one and having it with more specials to choose from and more interesting to play. So I just feel like classes were so watered down they lost their idenity.
    That is WAR all over though, it lacks soul, personality and just comes off as a generic Warcraft. I don't care if Warhammer came first because Warcraft does it better.

I totally agree with you but the Warhammer fans love the watered down classes. For some reason they find them exciting even though they are extremely bland. To more bland classes will fit in nice and snug with all the others. Besides Mythic cant exactly add something interesting to the game now can they. I mean if they did it would stand out like a sore thumb lol

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Umbral

It is just a matter of opinion, I found classes in Warhammer, EQ2, Vanguard, GW and AOC much more interesting in lore and gameplay than WoW classes, the small number of bland classes in WoW is the reason I never got into the game... in most of RPGs, classes are related to  archetypes,(in wow aswell) you just have more indentification with classes in WoW, so your argument is not exacly solid.
    Please, dont come with the argument you can fit more than one role with WoW´s classes, the same happens in EQ2, War etc. The only difference is, more people are used to WoW´s class system.
    Are you talking about Warhammer original lore? If you are, well, it is a matter or opinion again, for me, comparing Warhammer (original) and Warcraft lore using mafia movies it would be like The Godfather and Easter Promises (warhammer) versus Analize This (warcraft).

• NoktarisNoktaris Member Posts: 270

So many complainers...Why not move on to some other game if you obviously aren't satisfied with Warhammer?   Mythic finally adding the last 2 classes is good news. I'm sure once all classes are in the game they can then evaluate and balance everything accordingly.

• FarandirFarandir Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by neonwire

Originally posted by Channce

....but if you look at the game again in June thats exactly what you will be doing as the game still isnt going to be at a stage of completion by then. Missing cities?

Trolling several threads I notice.

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621

This is cool and all but just like the Knight and Blackguard these classes should have been in at launch!

• HansHiHansHi Member Posts: 7

I am impressed and soon playing a choppa (yah!)! Probably mostly an nice marketing thing with the postcards and events, but that is much stuff. Hopefully the needed patches for RvR are coming as well.

And although I don't like Paul I really laughed by the nice cutting of the new Slayer/Choppa videoblog.

• SidereusSidereus Member Posts: 316

i will definetly play a slayer if I resub to WAR... I am just waiting to see if aion comes out if it doesnt before summer i will resub and re-roll a slayer... finally a DPS for order without pets ( white lions ) and with a little bit of survavibility ( witch hunter )

QUESTION:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xridnasa:
    -
    What's a "grocery store"? Is that like McDonald's?
    -
    ANSWER:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sidimazz:
    -
    Kind of, just without the rapist.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Noktaris

So many complainers...Why not move on to some other game if you obviously aren't satisfied with Warhammer?   Mythic finally adding the last 2 classes is good news. I'm sure once all classes are in the game they can then evaluate and balance everything accordingly.

Are you kidding? These people would rather spend time complining about games instead of finding one that suits them, playing it, and STFU.

These are the same people that shoot every new game up to #1 on the chart until their patheitc little ADD-ridden brains find some other shiny object to latch onto. Ignore them, their opinions count for NOTHING. 

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

Cool news.  I really liked the event surrounding the addition of the last 2 classes.  Tier 1 scenarios and RVR gets more active as well. 

Now i'm not slamming T1, its just that you spend a shorter amount of time there..  I've seen no let down in T2 and T3. 

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by cfurlin

Are you kidding? These people would rather spend time complining about games instead of finding one that suits them, playing it, and STFU.

These are the same people that shoot every new game up to #1 on the chart until their patheitc little ADD-ridden brains find some other shiny object to latch onto. Ignore them, their opinions count for NOTHING. 

Gotta agree as well.. Its the same WoW haters / cry babys..Hell, I still play WoW on occasion and I find it amusing players from WoW have time to post on a game they dont even play... I dont hit the forums as hard as I used to since I got games to occupy my time, so apparently these people are gameless at the moment and dont have a backup hobby.

Well, despite their reasons why they troll WAR forums. Look at their names, its the same damn people from last year still posting the usual, why I hate WARHAMMER... They want to keep posting their piece and negative propaganda on WAR.. what are their true intentions... I think what they want to say is

I TOLD YOU SO...

If they are'nt having fun in WAR, then you shouldnt either. If you like WAR, you must be insane. WAR is a disgrace to the MMORPG world.. This is what I call PURE ASS HATE!

Yeah I get it, were on a forum, but shit, to still complain about a game you no longer play, move on.. Its as simple as that. But unfortunately they got time to post on the WAR forums because their current game isnt stimulating them anymore despite how great they claim their game is and they are just being Assholes to WAR players..

• OutisOutis Member UncommonPosts: 105

Balance??? I been playing MMOs since UO and everyone screams nerf when they die to another player. People need to learn tactics, learn your class and how they work in RvR. I play a Magus and I get owned alot in 1vs1, but put me with a grp that will distract the fight and I will sneak to the side and kill most of the grp with AoE DoTs. Learn your role.

As far as the classes being "watered" down they were taken out before launch to make sure they were ready for the game instead of releasing broken classes. I can't wait to play Me Choppa

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

It is just a matter of opinion, I found classes in Warhammer, EQ2, Vanguard, GW and AOC much more interesting in lore and gameplay than WoW classes, the small number of bland classes in WoW is the reason I never got into the game... in most of RPGs, classes are related to  archetypes,(in wow aswell) you just have more indentification with classes in WoW, so your argument is not exacly solid.
    Please, dont come with the argument you can fit more than one role with WoW´s classes, the same happens in EQ2, War etc. The only difference is, more people are used to WoW´s class system.
    Are you talking about Warhammer original lore? If you are, well, it is a matter or opinion again, for me, comparing Warhammer (original) and Warcraft lore using mafia movies it would be like The Godfather and Easter Promises (warhammer) versus Analize This (warcraft).

In WoW i can pick a priest and play 3 different roles and the spells and skills are so much fun to use, like Shadow Priest looks badass. However you don't have any of that in WAR or EQ2 and in WAR the particle effects look bad, just do the horrible /special which are all just bad. In WAR and EQ2 you had a handful of classes in each archetypes where you played one role so you only ever did one thing all the time and there was no fun spells and that so I found it boring. You arn't allowed to switch classes in each archetype...... i dunno I just wish'd they merged the archetypes together cause less is more.

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051

In WoW i can pick a priest and play 3 different roles and the spells and skills are so much fun to use, like Shadow Priest looks badass. However you don't have any of that in WAR or EQ2 and in WAR the particle effects look bad, just do the horrible /special which are all just bad. In WAR and EQ2 you had a handful of classes in each archetypes where you played one role so you only ever did one thing all the time and there was no fun spells and that so I found it boring. You arn't allowed to switch classes in each archetype...... i dunno I just wish'd they merged the archetypes together cause less is more.

You dont know classes in EQ2.

A berzerker can be the main tank of a raid or a top dps.

A Swashbukcler can be a tier 1 DPS, a support  debuffer class or a light tank.

A fury (as the wow priest) can have 3 different roles or more.

Necro and Conj have multiple roles aswell... you can even betray to another class in EQ2...

I can say the same about the chosen in War (MT, Buffer Ot, or just pure DPS), most War healers are NOT pure healers and some can be prettty good DPsers, a Dok can even act as a light tank.

You are deep into WoW, so you know all you can do with WoW classes, you are not deep into EQ2 and War, so I understand your misconceptions.

WoW spell and effects are simple than War and much, much, more simple than Everquest 2 effects, wich one you prefer is a matter of opinion.

I have nothing against the fact you really like WoW John, but it seems you dont know much about War (or just love too much WoW to enjoy it) and know absolute nothing about Everquest 2.

About what look "bad ass" or not, it is just a matter of Opinion (again).