Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Exclusive Screenshots

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

The folks over at Cryptic Studios have provided us with these two new, exclusive screenshots for their upcoming MMORPG, Star Trek Online.

Star Trek Online Screenshot

Check out the Exclusive Star Trek Online Screenshots

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• Batak_KillerBatak_Killer Member UncommonPosts: 393

great graphics

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Looks promising, but screenshots..? It's more like concept art IMO... 

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Yea the new screen shots do not look to promising to me, too cartoonish hope this changes.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • CrumpyCrumpy Member Posts: 61

Looks mint

• InfalibleInfalible Member Posts: 204

Hmmm... at first, I thought they were concepts, but apparently they aren't.

I had to do a double take on the NX vessel. Frankly, I dislike it. It looks archaic and somewhat like it should be in a scrap yard. The Klingon vessel however looks very nice. The general design is a little too smooth for a Klingon vessel imho and it looks more like it is a Klingon/Romulan hybrid vessel than a pure Klingon vessel.

All in all, a little disappointed with these shots. STO isn't turning out how I had hoped it would.

http://www.themmoquest.com - MMO commentary from an overly angry brit. OFFICIALLY LAUNCHED!

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

It's looking sweet to me. Especially for pre-alpha! Finally some Klingon love!

Very very nice Cryptic.

• MugombieMugombie Member Posts: 3

That looks like concept art to me

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Question: Why doesn't the exhaust/engine glow on the Klingon ship actually match up with the exhaust port?

Also...It appears as if all Federation ships are going to be marked with the NX91001 designation now? Is that because no one figured out that it was a date the last time and spent more time on bashing the fact it was a refit than figuring out what the numbers meant?

((I think I've figured out the first one. The glowing trails on both ships were added after the shot was taken, they must not actually leave these trails in game. Someone just did a bad job of photoshopping.))

• WolfdorWolfdor Member Posts: 123

I don't like the direction this game is headed.  Forced solo play, Forced to be a Captain, and Forced to play with Mastermind Pets doesn't sound fun for a MMORPG, they already made all the choices for you.  Maybe if it was a singleplayer game.

• Adam95GTSAdam95GTS Member Posts: 3

When you say forced solo play do you mean no PVP, give me a beak.

• IvaxIvax Member Posts: 18

I just realised something.. the font and emblem in the screenshots (go fullsize to see it) look, to me, the same as the font and emblem used for the upcomming movie.. just thought I'd point that out

• TalonyxTalonyx Member Posts: 3

Those screetshots look more like concept art. But if they are ingame footage, way to go Cryptic! This is gonna be the best MMO ever!

• Kvasir_029Kvasir_029 Member Posts: 46

Those screenshots look awesome. Very happy to see a shot of a Klingon ship as well. Nice job Cryptic.

Everyone already know that the ship models will be able to be customized, so anyone complaining that they don't like a certain design on a ship needs to realize that these aren't the ONLY way your ship is going to look. Jeeze. And as for complaining about the NX registry being the same as on the other Starfleet ship release, give me a break. They've already stated that you'll be able to choose things like that yourself. I realize the ability to read is a tough one for some people on gaming boards but its amusing how blatantly ignorant some people are when it comes to POSTED facts.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

customizable or not they definitely look very cartoonish

for me (as IMHO) star trek universe ships should look more "real"

• BentistoBentisto Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by gatheris

customizable or not they definitely look very cartoonish
    for me (as IMHO) star trek universe ships should look more "real"

i agree

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

I don't know why a Star Trek game is taking on a cartoon stylization, but this style does have some attractive qualities.

What's up with the trails, though? Plasma leak in the nacelles?

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • KanuvaniKanuvani Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Wolfdor

I don't like the direction this game is headed.  Forced solo play, Forced to be a Captain, and Forced to play with Mastermind Pets doesn't sound fun for a MMORPG, they already made all the choices for you.  Maybe if it was a singleplayer game.

same feeling here :(

• Thor79Thor79 Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by Kvasir_029
    Those screenshots look awesome. Very happy to see a shot of a Klingon ship as well. Nice job Cryptic.
    Everyone already know that the ship models will be able to be customized, so anyone complaining that they don't like a certain design on a ship needs to realize that these aren't the ONLY way your ship is going to look. Jeeze. And as for complaining about the NX registry being the same as on the other Starfleet ship release, give me a break. They've already stated that you'll be able to choose things like that yourself. I realize the ability to read is a tough one for some people on gaming boards but its amusing how blatantly ignorant some people are when it comes to POSTED facts.

(blatant exaggeration ahead)
    Customize all you want but a piece of dog crap will still look like a piece of dog crap. Some people just don't like the cartoonish look. I have to admit...if these are screenshots (it's VERY hard to tell) then it looks cartoonish to me...which I hate. If it weren't for it being Star Trek I would have already written this off after seeing those.

There's a reason I never used up my 10 day WoW trial...I hated the graphics...I couldn't get past how cartoonish they looked. I'm not saying these shots are as cartoonish as WoW is...they aren't...but they are cartoonish. If they are staying with this look then they are going to have to have an amazing game to get me to play for any length of time. I would much rather they go with an EVE-like look than this look.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

Another game pushing out crappy graphics with the label "Styalized" over it and thinking people won't notice?

/sigh

I have never seen styalized graphics that actually looked good, and especially not in settings where they don't fit(like Sci-Fi). Why do these companies keep pushing this crap on us?

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Originally posted by Kvasir_029
    And as for complaining about the NX registry being the same as on the other Starfleet ship release, give me a break. They've already stated that you'll be able to choose things like that yourself. I realize the ability to read is a tough one for some people on gaming boards but its amusing how blatantly ignorant some people are when it comes to POSTED facts.

LOL...I'll let you slide this time because you are off base on the meaning of what I said, but let's not get into an argument over reading comprehension.

I said that I guess all federation ships would be under the NX-91001 designation now, not as a complaint but as a point of interest. I had thought that they would have kept it to the Sovereign class ship that they revealed with that designation earlier, but, as I said in my post, it seems that too few saw the actual meaning behind it and instead focused on the ship itself and why blah blah blah *insert nerdrage here* When the truth is that it is the ship's designation and not the ship itself that was the important part.

Seems some can't see the forest for the trees as the old saying goes.

((And none of that is meant as a bash on you Kvasir, I too am impressed by Cryptic's work and am a firm supporter of their studio. I just wanted to clear up that I was not bashing them, and that I am not 'ignorant'.))

• BattleskarBattleskar Member Posts: 341

So far the game is too Cartoony for my taste,The ship Designs really do suck. I was hoping to play a Star Trek game in The Next Gen time frame. Most of the ship designs do not look at all the way they did during these shows,and I know its in a timeline past Nemesis,but why did they have to do it in the timeline of this Movie? It was the worst of the Trek Movies as well. I feel like they are losing the vision that Gene Roddenberry had. Rick Berman everything was fine and dandy until you decided to make a pre-quel.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Originally posted by Abrahmm

Another game pushing out crappy graphics with the label "Styalized" over it and thinking people won't notice?
    /sigh
    I have never seen styalized graphics that actually looked good, and especially not in settings where they don't fit(like Sci-Fi). Why do these companies keep pushing this crap on us?

I got an idea, why don’t you license a game engine and build your own MMO how you think it should be.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

I have noticed a number of people saying they dont like the graphics because they look cartoonish. It just goes to show that no matter how good something looks there will always be a bunch of idiots who lack the ability to appreciate it. Sorry but you have to be either a bit dense or have problems with your eyes to reach this conclusion. If the graphics in those screenshots are cartoonish then EVERY computer game is cartoonish. I suppose Fallout 3 is a cartoon game as well then right? What do want? Absolute photo-realism?!

Its a shame I hate Star Trek because the game looks like its coming along very nicely. Those graphics are very impressive and I totally appreciate the level of hard work that must have gone into making them. Of course its a shame that Cryptic studios did not have the foresight to employ the few mmorpg readers who think the graphics are too cartoony because then these peoples extremely advanced artistic skills could have been put to use to make this game the first photo-realistic mmo we have ever seen.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Originally posted by neonwire

I have noticed a number of people saying they dont like the graphics because they look cartoonish. It just goes to show that no matter how good something looks there will always be a bunch of idiots who lack the ability to appreciate it. Sorry but you have to be either a bit dense or have problems with your eyes to reach this conclusion. If the graphics in those screenshots are cartoonish then EVERY computer game is cartoonish. I suppose Fallout 3 is a cartoon game as well then right? What do want? Absolute photo-realism?!
    Its a shame I hate Star Trek because the game looks like its coming along very nicely. Those graphics are very impressive and I totally appreciate the level of hard work that must have gone into making them. Of course its a shame that Cryptic studios did not have the foresight to employ the few mmorpg readers who think the graphics are too cartoony because then these peoples extremely advanced artistic skills could have been put to use to make this game the first photo-realistic mmo we have ever seen.

Pretty much exactly the way I feel. These same people say this about every game here, I'm just beginning to think they don't really like games. One thing they all seem to have in common is SWG, and Darkfall. Hmmm troll bait perhaps?

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AlloughNAlloughN Member Posts: 168

Personally I've never heard Fallout 3 or EVE being called "cartoonish"

The "problem" doesn't lie in the textures themselves, its the lights/shaders. Actually, I doubt much of that work has been done yet.

The "cartoonish" look should diminish when they get the shaders and lighting done that give it the dirty "real" look. Not that its going to go away entirely, but it should be more "real" than those.

Sorry guys, but your not going to get a game that has ship/ground interaction with photorealism. Unless its the Infinity engine, which will tax your computer like you wouldn't believe, very few computers are going to be able to play that game on high settings.

Personally, I don't like the "forced" thing, but the forced thing sells apperently.

O, and I wouldn't want to trade places with the STO designers. Imagine having to build a game that will bring in income, and try to keep all the ST worshipers happy with immersion. Nothing in the world would make me want that job....