Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Site Design and Layout Comments / Suggestions Thread

MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758

As I'm sure most of you noticed we've changed somethings around on the site.  Most evident are the visual changes.  The theme is now easier on the eyes and more functional.  Going forward things will be much easier to change around and new themes / colors can be implemented quickly.  Anway please feel free to let us know how you feel about these changes and report any issues you come across!

EDIT: This original thread is from the 2009 overhaul! The newer comments are in reference to some test tweaks we're making to the news feed on the front page.  Bear with us!

This is NOT the new site, but please offer feedback on these tweaks. 

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

Comments

• bluealien1bluealien1 Member Posts: 526

It looks pretty good for the most part, but I'm really not too into the navigation, the rest of the website feels like it has alot of rounded edges rather than hard edges, and the navigation just has too many hard edges(in one place that is) and feels like it throws off the flow of the site.

Also, the Eve banner looks very out of place, I would suggest a border or something.

Besides that it's looking pretty good.

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330

1. Blogs seem to be in one of the locations with the highest importance on the site.  I do not think blogs are that important.  I personally used the recent forum activity the most and would like to see that in the current blog location.  I enjoyed the blogs as well, but they do not change frequently like the forum activity and so I don't look at them multiple times a day.

2. Also could MMORPG news and latest features be combined into one section.  They seem like they are very similar.

• SonikFlashSonikFlash Member UncommonPosts: 561

same here im much more interested in recent activity than blogs

• MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758

Good point, we're bumping the forum activity above the blogs area right now.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206

Account management is better, and the new pop-out previews are great.

I'm not liking the default color scheme though, and I feel that the different sections tend to blend together a bit too much. The news should also be a bit more prominent, as it's the most important feature on the site.

Originally posted by mechtech256

Account management is better, and the new pop-out previews are great.

I'm not liking the default color scheme though, and I feel that the different sections tend to blend together a bit too much. The news should also be a bit more prominent, as it's the most important feature on the site.

The new design will allow us to offer different color options much easier so be on the lookout for more theme choices!

Good suggestion about the news, we'll work on making that more availalbe.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Not too bad guys.

I noticed the Cloud View needs better alignment:  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/cloud/

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Hmm...I'm not feeling the design to be honest. It doesn't feel like there's enough division between different "blocks" on-screen. What I mean is that on the main page for example, the user gallery looks as if it's randomly thrown in the midst of things. If I didn't know the site layout as I do I'd be very confused when it comes to navigation. 

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Its very contemporary .. but please bring back the black insteaad of new gray theme !

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Its very contemporary .. but please bring back the black insteaad of new gray theme !

I was thinking that too. Any chance of there being a darker theme for those of us who'd like to use it? I think the design would look alot better if the lightest grey (the navigation bar's gray) was made a darker colour than the greys inside of it. It would create a much better border. I don't think the design would be too bad then 

On the front page personally I would swap the blog part for the recent news part - unless you want to promote blogs more so.

The recently visited threads is a good addition.

The game specific forums will take a while to get used to switching between them. (A-Z part)

Account management is much better.

But it does feel like a Star Trek theme with the grey and light orange :)

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

I like it, but the front page is still WAY too busy.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

the colours need changing a bit (being colour blind doesnt help i suppose).

also some of the text and spacing needs to be redone/changed.  I noticed some posters signatures looked way too similar to their post and was too close.  Different colours/text should help distinguish parts of the site.

aside from that i think it looks ok (maybe use a darker grey/other colour for the border)

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

Oh I just saw the "Game Interest" part in the profile:  http://www.mmorpg.com/settings.cfm?subaction=games

That will come in handy to show what games you played to and from and I like the guild integration too.

• skywisenightskywisenight Member UncommonPosts: 348

We intend to start adding a bunch of different colour themes to the site in the coming weeks.  We decided to launch before making them all because this update has been holding back countless additions to the site and fixes which we felt really need to get out.

One of the first theme variations will be a darker one.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Did you fix whatever it was that caused the site to frequently not finish loading so that one had to click the button to stop loading the page in order to make it display anything at all?  It was only intermittent, so that it isn't doing that right now doesn't necessarily mean it's fixed. 

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

"Recent visited threads" wins.

Having half the screen for message fails.

Not sepparting the games for released/in develepment fails.

Not enough room for the quotes below the avatar fails.

Grey fails.

• ssnautilusssnautilus Member Posts: 373

We definitely need new skins, colors, and customization options.

Some themes options could be MMO based? Or look similar eg. Matrixy - or Space (Star warsy) etc?

Overall, a definite improvement. Well done.

The Order of the Grey Border from Darkfall will be happy

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

It looks more "traditional" if we're comparing it to other websites, but it "looks" half finished. There are some new navigation changes that I like, but some things just feel off. The general theme could stand to be a much darker color as well. Also, it might just be because it just loaded up, but there seems to be a bunch of random blocks of empty space here and there that don't feel intentional. Obviously I'm going to need more time to probe around, but initial impressions are "it's not as good as the old one." Then again, if it's easier to manage than the old one, as long as you improve it, then it's the right decision. 

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

Originally posted by skywisenight

We intend to start adding a bunch of different colour themes to the site in the coming weeks.  We decided to launch before making them all because this update has been holding back countless additions to the site and fixes which we felt really need to get out.
    One of the first theme variations will be a darker one.

Awesome! Thanks

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

The Order of the Grey Border from Darkfall will be happy

And lmfao! 

• skywisenightskywisenight Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Originally posted by ssnautilus

We definitely need new skins, colors, and customization options.
    Some themes options could be MMO based? Or look similar eg. Matrixy - or Space (Star warsy) etc?
    Overall, a definite improvement. Well done.

Yes, this is now possible (although I'm not sure if it would be allowed)

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

A drop down list of the games would better like they were a long time ago. But still have the option to go to another page.

Originally posted by Quizzical

Did you fix whatever it was that caused the site to frequently not finish loading so that one had to click the button to stop loading the page in order to make it display anything at all?  It was only intermittent, so that it isn't doing that right now doesn't necessarily mean it's fixed. 

We tracked that issue down to our compression software.  We have new compression appliances being installed this week so the site isn't so burdensome to our more bandwidth challenged users.

If you do see this issue again please send me the specifics.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

This discussion has been closed.