Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking toward GW2

TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

Now that 2009 has arrived I'm really starting to anticipate Guildwars 2.  I played GW over two years and even after spending time with the larger MMOs it still ranks as my favorite online experience. There are so many things that set it apart from other games. The skill sets, awesome PvP, unique lore and world etc.

Anyway I starting thinking about game aspects I'd like to see carried over to GW2

1) 8 slot skill set  and dynamic attribute points. I really liked the flexibility and diversity of the system. That with  dual classes allowed you to equip your character for a wide range of situation and tasks.

2) A return of all core classes, Monk, Mesmer, Elementalist, Warrior, Ranger, and Necromancer. I like classes from the other chapters as well but these 6 were IMO the best. I also like the Ritualist, and  Dervish also. They can leave out the oh so annoyting Assassin and pesky Paragon.

3) Look and feel of the world. 

I better get to work now.   I can't wait to return to Tyria!

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

its the only future game I'm looking forward to

but at the same time,

I try not to think about it too much because the launch date is unknown

could be as late as 2011 for all I know

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

You gotta love NCsoft, their business model was laughed at by other and they were called crazy. They produced a brilliant game enjoyed by so many people. I'm really looking forward to Guild Wars 2. Oh and Nadia it's nice to see an asian girl playing an MMO  (sorry if i'm making a wrong assumption).

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• 0theri0n0theri0n Member UncommonPosts: 114

i left gw to join the ranks of war...totally forgot about gw2, hopefully its just as great but better...i cant wait to dive into the world of gw2....hurry up!!! hehe

• tokenizertokenizer Member Posts: 106

I am a GW fun too, but imo, i doubt GW2 will be released anytime soon. Releasing GW2 means just killing GW, and maybe is not really the time for that now... or maybe i am wrong, however, i am looking forward too:)

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Take your time Arenanet. We don't like you to rush anything. Good games are like old wines made with time and care. Hoping for smooth launch. Little more news on the progress can't hurt either.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by Man1ac

You gotta love NCsoft, their business model was laughed at by other and they were called crazy.

The reason it worked was that Guild Wars was an excellent game.  Had they made just another mediocre WoW-clone, the business model would have failed.

• tokenizertokenizer Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by Quizzical

You gotta love NCsoft, their business model was laughed at by other and they were called crazy.

The reason it worked was that Guild Wars was an excellent game.  Had they made just another mediocre WoW-clone, the business model would have failed.

With out any doubt, GW is an excelent game, and some peoples (like me) really love it. If you like RPG style, thats one of the games for you.

• almerelalmerel Member UncommonPosts: 658
    Originally posted by Quizzical

They also had the advantage of WoW not dominating like it is now when they made the game.

-Almerel

Hello my old friend.

Originally posted by almerel
    They also had the advantage of WoW not dominating like it is now when they made the game.

Actually, that's not true.  Guild Wars came out after WoW.  Indeed, someone who has played WoW quite a bit is more likely to appreciate why the way Guild Wars did a lot of things is the right way to do them.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

I liked guild wars but really couldnt get into it. I hated the limited itemization and instancing. In fact, i hated that everyone looked the same on top of all the predictable instances, lack of jumping and such. So I never wasted the money with the expansions. HOWEVER, I hope that with GW2, they were able to find where the flaws were and fix them, making the game much more appealing than GW1. The concept was good, but I particularly didnt like the execution of the game.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by Rabenwolf

I liked guild wars but really couldnt get into it. I hated the limited itemization and instancing. In fact, i hated that everyone looked the same on top of all the predictable instances, lack of jumping and such. So I never wasted the money with the expansions. HOWEVER, I hope that with GW2, they were able to find where the flaws were and fix them, making the game much more appealing than GW1. The concept was good, but I particularly didnt like the execution of the game.

Well you have to keep in mind that GW was a at it's heart  a great PvP game with interesting world and decent PvE. The similar class look was intentional. You can't have a monk looking like a warrior and vice versa. As for jumping I'd agree that is something that should and will mostly likely will be added. However outside of limiting where a player could go in the world it never really effected gameplay. The design choices Anet made ultimately created a fast paced experience for both PvE and PvP that never felt like whackomole as most RPG's do.

I wish they would  at least tell us which classes will be terturn and or if there will be any new classes.

I agree with others have said. Anet F2P business model worked because GW was a great game.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

ArenaNet have stated that Guild Wars 2 will include the ability to jump, climb trees etc. Basically more environmental interaction as ranger arrows will split bark in trees and meteor showers will cause craters etc.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by Tekaelon

Now that 2009 has arrived I'm really starting to anticipate Guildwars 2.  I played GW over two years and even after spending time with the larger MMOs it still ranks as my favorite online experience. There are so many things that set it apart from other games. The skill sets, awesome PvP, unique lore and world etc.
    Anyway I starting thinking about game aspects I'd like to see carried over to GW2
    1) 8 slot skill set  and dynamic attribute points. I really liked the flexibility and diversity of the system. That with  dual classes allowed you to equip your character for a wide range of situation and tasks.
    2) A return of all core classes, Monk, Mesmer, Elementalist, Warrior, Ranger, and Necromancer. I like classes from the other chapters as well but these 6 were IMO the best. I also like the Ritualist, and  Dervish also. They can leave out the oh so annoyting Assassin and pesky Paragon.
    3) Look and feel of the world. 
    I better get to work now.   I can't wait to return to Tyria!

I agree with you about everything except I don't mind Assassin's and Paragons.

Otherwise yeah, Guild Wars is an awesome game, and I'm basically looking at Guild Wars 2 to be Guild Wars with the major drawbacks removed(Like better terrain interaction, less instancing)

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

You've just asserted at length that you didn't like the concept, and then blamed it on the execution.

Limited itemization is one of the key features of the game.  It's a game about doing the content, not endless grinding.  That simply isn't possible to do if players are constantly seeking better gear.  If you don't like that, then your objection is to the concept, not the execution.

Heavy instancing is another key feature of the game.  In order to have a mission present the intended challenge, instancing is essential.  There are arguments in favor of non-instanced open worlds, but there are a lot of gameplay things that you just can't do with them--and things that Guild Wars was very much intended to do.  If you don't like that, then your objection is to the concept, not the execution.

I really haven't the slighest clue where you're going with "predictable instances".  The missions of Guild Wars give a wider variety of challenges than in any other MMORPG I've ever seen.  It's a far greater diversity of challenges than, say, WoW.  I guess you can argue that they're predictable on the basis that a given mission is pretty close to the same every time you do it (though there is significant randomness in mob spawns), but very few games try to do randomly generated content--and if that's what you're looking for, then again, your objection is to the concept, not the execution.

Exactly how long did you play? It doesn't sound like you stuck with it long enough to get a proper feel for the actual game. 

The two features you attack are essential in making Guild Wars what it is - a skill-based game. There lack of items is definitely accounted for in the skills department. There are hundreds upon hundreds of skills, which many MMOs could only dream of having. Where other games encourage players to hunt for better items, Guild Wars encourages the implementation of a better skill build. Furthermore, the instancing allowed the developers to do some pretty neat things that many other MMOs can't do due to persistence. The searing, for example, would not be possible in a "normal" MMO. 

I'm not sure what you're getting at with everyone looking the same, because there is a wide variety of armor sets available. One can mix and match them as one pleases too. To be perfectly honest, I'd rather wear a complete armor set with 10 other people than wear an orange tunic, green pants, blue shoes and red arm guards and be unique because that's what mobs dropped for me. 

I can understand you feeling restricted with the lack of jumping, but on the other hand I don't. I don't understand why people find jumping so important. The world is designed in such a way that jumping would be useless anyway. Also, one has to think on a pratical level. ArenaNet were able to design amazing landscapes without the worry of people falling and getting stuck etc. Take a look at Echovald Fores in Faction for example. There are cliffs with large fallen trees below them. If someone were to jump into the midst of those trees they'd most likely never get out. Other MMOs have had to scale back on world design where ArenaNet didn't have to.

In conclusion, I find that the concept was excellent and the implementation just as good. The developers dared to be different and it payed off big time. I think too many people are attacking the game for not being "normal," which totally defeats the object of the game's existence.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by Lydon

In conclusion, I find that the concept was excellent and the implementation just as good. The developers dared to be different and it payed off big time. I think too many people are attacking the game for not being "normal," which totally defeats the object of the game's existence.

I totally agree! It was those differences that set the game apart and made it something unique in the MMO world. BTW you'll also find those very same people posting in other forumss  how everything is a WoW clone.

Originally posted by Tekaelon 
     BTW you'll also find those very same people posting in other forumss  how everything is a WoW clone.

It's so sad but true.

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

A typical "MMO" these days almost definitely has a subscription fees. This is why Guild Wars had a lot of instances. Everything else with the limited to 8 stills and inability to jump are all part of the game. Some games can take the piss getting to the max level, whereas guild wars says, play a good week or a fortnight and you'll e able to enter all the fun instances like FoW or The Deep etc. And if you really like PvP you can create a lvl 20 char straight out the hat.

The developers are going to use the milestone they achieved with GW 1 to make a "proper" MMORPG (I still don't know why people still call Guild Wars an "MMORPG"), nevertheless, the execution of Guild Wars couldn't have been better imo.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

The developers are going to use the milestone they achieved with GW 1 to make a "proper" MMORPG (I still don't know why people still call Guild Wars an "MMORPG")...

I don't care if GW2 isn't a "proper" MMORPG. Don't try to fit it in any mold. They make what they make and that's that. It's the difference that I love. Others make a game from the same mold, put some stuff on top of it to call it innovative and just paint it to make it theirs.

I say f*** the genre. It's time to shake the foundations again.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by Man1ac The developers are going to use the milestone they achieved with GW 1 to make a "proper" MMORPG (I still don't know why people still call Guild Wars an "MMORPG")...

I don't care if GW2 isn't a "proper" MMORPG. Don't try to fit it in any mold. They make what they make and that's that. It's the difference that I love. Others make a game from the same mold, put some stuff on top of it to call it innovative and just paint it to make it theirs.
    I say f*** the genre. It's time to shake the foundations again.

Guild Wars with the best of all the current MMOs out at the moment would be sufficient for me. I'd rather see that than a groundbreaking game that got nothing with Guild Wars to do. I'll say clearly: I want Guild Wars but hotted up a bit.

• IonselonIonselon Member Posts: 248

Exactly how long did you play? It doesn't sound like you stuck with it long enough to get a proper feel for the actual game. 

The two features you attack are essential in making Guild Wars what it is - a skill-based game. There lack of items is definitely accounted for in the skills department. There are hundreds upon hundreds of skills, which many MMOs could only dream of having. Where other games encourage players to hunt for better items, Guild Wars encourages the implementation of a better skill build. Furthermore, the instancing allowed the developers to do some pretty neat things that many other MMOs can't do due to persistence. The searing, for example, would not be possible in a "normal" MMO. 

I'm not sure what you're getting at with everyone looking the same, because there is a wide variety of armor sets available. One can mix and match them as one pleases too. To be perfectly honest, I'd rather wear a complete armor set with 10 other people than wear an orange tunic, green pants, blue shoes and red arm guards and be unique because that's what mobs dropped for me. 

I can understand you feeling restricted with the lack of jumping, but on the other hand I don't. I don't understand why people find jumping so important. The world is designed in such a way that jumping would be useless anyway. Also, one has to think on a pratical level. ArenaNet were able to design amazing landscapes without the worry of people falling and getting stuck etc. Take a look at Echovald Fores in Faction for example. There are cliffs with large fallen trees below them. If someone were to jump into the midst of those trees they'd most likely never get out. Other MMOs have had to scale back on world design where ArenaNet didn't have to.

They got their fair share of my gaming dollars.  I have 3 accounts with all the expansions; 1 for myself and 1 each for my 2 grandsons.  We do have fun playing together.

• pretorapretora Member Posts: 21

Utopia going to be added  to GW2? and Chronomancer and the Tannecks (Destroyers). Utopia was planned to be a expansion for GW but they made GW:en instead. do you think they add Utopia for GW2? :D

Utopia? Can't say I've ever heard of it.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Utopia? Can't say I've ever heard of it.

wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_Utopia

Thanks!

It's a real pity it didn't make it out of the door. The setting sounds so interesting. However, I guess that setting would be better in a persistent world...so maybe with some luck they're include a good deal of that in Guild Wars 2. The Chronomancer sounds like so much fun.