Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Earthrise: The Year Before and the Year Ahead

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

In anticipation of their developer chat on Saturday, the team at Masthead Studios has provided us with this interview on the year that just left, 2008 and the year ahead in 2009.

MMORPG.com:

Can you tell us about the progress that was made in Earthrise’s development in 2008?

Masthead

Last year was certainly the most productive year for our team and Earthrise, as we completed more work in 2008 than 2006 and 2007 combined. One of the reasons for this was that Masthead Studios has doubled in size over the course of the year, adding more members to the Earthrise family. We also worked hard to add more tools to the game engine which significantly boosted our team’s efficiency through easier object manipulation and more speed.

Through all of this hard work Earthrise became a real game and was no longer just a game design document consisting of engine, art and static objects in the world of Enterra. We finished working with game concepts and started to finalize the promised features. As we brought these concepts to life and began testing the game we started to see the fruits of our labor unfold; Earthrise has grown into a game that we can now enjoy and play from home!

When we announced Earthrise to the online community earlier this year, we received so much positive feedback that we felt even more confident that the game we were working on was one that many people had been waiting for.

Read The Year Before and the Year Ahead

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

This part is aimed at the devs of Earthrise:

I've been following this one since it first popped up on this site, and believe me, there never was a time more ripe for a non-fantasy/Sci Fi MMO than right now, but unless we start seeing some videos, interest will wane quickly.  Heck, even WITH videos (see Darkfall or Fallen Earth), you have a HUGE market that is very, VERY cynical right now. 

This part is aimed at MMO companies in general:

Players do not trust MMO companies anymore, plain and simple.  Too much money has gone up one pipe and too much crap has come down in return.  I'm serious when I say this that there should be some sort of standard set for MMORPG developers.  Not only to protect the gamers but to protect the investors too.  They have a right to earn a return on their cash and we as gamers, providing that cash, deserve something better than the steaming piles of rat vomit that have been sold on store shelves (or online! How convenient!) in the last few years. 

• ingiingi Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by Binny45

unless we start seeing some videos, interest will wane quickly. 

MMO gamers... lose interest over an mmo in development? lol

Hehe, I know I know, but it IS true.  Sadly, we live in an era of 5 minute meals and 24 hour convenience.

It would almost be better that the companies keep their projects secret, then when they have a playable alpha (almost to the beta stage), THEN present it to the world.  Putting an MMO idea/product forward on a public forum in the concept stage is great for getting people riled up and excited, but with the shortened attention spans and even shorter periods of patience of todays populace, waiting for the game to show some sort of development over a long period of time (ie: measured in years) can almost be counter productive.

• brezelbrezel Member Posts: 202

This part is aimed at the devs of Earthrise:
     but unless we start seeing some videos, interest will wane quickly.  

the beta sign up startet a few weeks ago, i'am pretty sure we will soon see the first official ingame trailer, until then you can watch one of the unofficial teasers.  

• ghstwolfghstwolf Member Posts: 386

It would almost be better that the companies keep their projects secret, then when they have a playable alpha (almost to the beta stage), THEN present it to the world. 

Maybe it would be.  Then again if a game is really looking to be or do something different, it doesn't hurt to have a large group to sound ideas off.  Maybe you get some crazy idea that just "works" or you get an idea about what people are looking for.  Seriously, other than the Bartle test what tests are there for gauging general player opinions for game design?

1 year is a long time for the ADHD generation.  Thing is hype and interest only start to matter at launch and it doesn't matter much before hand.  So "Joe" hear about the game a year ago, got excited until he learned it was a year before beta.  Joe's "I need it now" mentality places the game on ignore (or immediately screams "vaporware"), thing is Joe will probably be excited again when beta leaks and videos start coming in.  Joe who lost interest is now right back into the mix, and will be there launch day.  No damage done.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Definately one of the more promising MMORPG...

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• phlcarlphlcarl Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by ghstwolf

It would almost be better that the companies keep their projects secret, then when they have a playable alpha (almost to the beta stage), THEN present it to the world. 

Maybe it would be.  Then again if a game is really looking to be or do something different, it doesn't hurt to have a large group to sound ideas off.  Maybe you get some crazy idea that just "works" or you get an idea about what people are looking for.  Seriously, other than the Bartle test what tests are there for gauging general player opinions for game design?

1 year is a long time for the ADHD generation.  Thing is hype and interest only start to matter at launch and it doesn't matter much before hand.  So "Joe" hear about the game a year ago, got excited until he learned it was a year before beta.  Joe's "I need it now" mentality places the game on ignore (or immediately screams "vaporware"), thing is Joe will probably be excited again when beta leaks and videos start coming in.  Joe who lost interest is now right back into the mix, and will be there launch day.  No damage done.

JOE THE PLUMBER?

• ZtyXZtyX Member UncommonPosts: 368

Wow.. Wow.. I mean. WOW!

I am just so amazed.

They talk almost as if they made an MMORPG in one year - one year and a half!

... I just can't believe this. It sounds really incredible.

Darkfall has been underway for so long and these guys just made a game so quickly.

What's gone wrong, what's gone right?

Well.. Earthrise team. I'm just excited for you guys.I hope things go well and its awesome to hear this kind of open optimism! It's really rare to read something like this.

I hope you can deliver too.. ;) .. i'm really not sure. Can you finish Earthrise within 2009?

• WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

Earthrise has been on my radar for awhile and this interview definately has increased my excitement level for the game. Kudos to Masthead for the detailed responses, the level of transparency exhibited in this middle stage of development is quite refreshing.

• APRAuroreAPRAurore Member Posts: 330

This game looks pretty interesting. I would love to have a non-fantasy MMO to play. I am also getting a little tired of sci-fi. Naysayers have said that an independant company couldn't possibly make a good MMO in today's market because of Blizzard. I don't agree with that at all!

Edit - I mean I'm tired of the sci-fi games we have available at the moment.

Back in EvE. Started with BatMUD. Main MMOs have been EvE and DAoC.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

I'm trying not to get too hyped up about ER, last thing i want is a let down like TR or AoC.

I'll keep my eye on it and hope for the best.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

I'm interested in this one as well, have been for quite some time now (a couple of years at least).  But I think it's WAY to early to tell.  I highly doubt this game will even come close to a 2009 release what with it not even being in early beta yet. 

• ZtyXZtyX Member UncommonPosts: 368

It  IS in early beta.

But, I do agree. Let's not get hyped. .. I think they sound way too optimistic. It was a great year, but I'm not used to reading this kind of transparancy. I have to take a careful approach. .. Im sure they have a lot of good stuff on their client. But, it can't be done yet. Theres no way.