Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World Size compared to Kalimdor (WoW)

Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

Someone on the Darkfall-EU forums posted this.   Apparently someone took the time to apporximate how big the Kalimdor continent in World of Warcraft is compared to the size of Agon in Darkfall.   I can't say whether or not it is exact, but it looks like someone spent a bit of time on this trying to figure it out.  I found it somewhat interesting.

Comments

• HahhnsHahhns Member Posts: 210

this woudl be a great map if it were real

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529

Sweet Baby Jesus.

Kalimdor is pretty big too. running from one end to the next takes a good amount of time. Agon is gonna be HUGE.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

• Azntranc3Azntranc3 Member Posts: 169

Well to even things out, the entire world of warcraft isn't on one continent...it's on three (4 if you include outlands). The Darkfall world "map" (legit or not?) looks like it's zoomed in making the world of warcraft map look much smaller in comparison....but only time will tell, that is if this game even comes out.

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980
    Originally posted by Capn23

Sweet Baby Jesus.

Kalimdor is pretty big too. running from one end to the next takes a good amount of time. Agon is gonna be HUGE.

If it's a real map.

Agon MAY BE huge.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• Syyth007Syyth007 Member Posts: 250

It appears to be a simple assumption, but if the world is so giagantic, will the content be there to fill it, or will it be pretty views with no substance?  Dark and Light had a huge game world, but much of it was empty and void of life/content.

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529
    Originally posted by Ascension08

Originally posted by Capn23

Sweet Baby Jesus.

If it's a real map.

Agon MAY BE huge.

I'm almost positive the game world is there. Whether all the content will be in is another question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

Another thing we need to take into account is that water areas are a legit playfield.  In most MMOs, the water is merely a divider between continents that can not be explored in any way shape or form.  If Darkfall has the naval component in it, then we have to consider that the "playable" game space is even larger than we think.

• New_to_MMONew_to_MMO Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by Syyth007

It appears to be a simple assumption, but if the world is so giagantic, will the content be there to fill it, or will it be pretty views with no substance?  Dark and Light had a huge game world, but much of it was empty and void of life/content.

I would assume it is going to seem rather empty. Wouldn't a lot of that space be used on player cities?

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Paragus1

Someone on the Darkfall-EU forums posted this.   Apparently someone took the time to apporximate how big the Kalimdor continent in World of Warcraft is compared to the size of Agon in Darkfall.   I can't say whether or not it is exact, but it looks like someone spent a bit of time on this trying to figure it out.  I found it somewhat interesting.

I call BS.  Complete BS.  This is simply wishful thinking.

How did this person compare scales?

I would suggest that to make any comparison of this sort you need a Consistent Scale.

The only meaningful scale you can use from MMO to MMO is travel time.

How long does it take to run (walk) fom one side of the world to another?

In cases where you cannot run (EvE, PotBS) I would suggest the benchmark is travel in the default (n00bie) ship / craft / avatar without buffs.

In instanced game worlds (Tabula Rasa) I would suggest the world side be measured by adding up the cumulative travel time to cross the areas to travel from the furthest point to the furthest point.

In this case I hae heard it takes less than 2 hours to cross the main contenient in DF.  IIRC it takes about 20 minutes to cross that island in WOW... so those scales are way off.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
    Originally posted by Gyrus

I would suggest that to make any comparison of this sort you need a Consistent Scale.

The only meaningful scale you can use from MMO to MMO is travel time.

How long does it take to run (walk) fom one side of the world to another?

In cases where you cannot run (EvE, PotBS) I would suggest the benchmark is travel in the default (n00bie) ship / craft / avatar without buffs.

In instanced game worlds (Tabula Rasa) I would suggest the world side be measured by adding up the cumulative travel time to cross the areas to travel from the furthest point to the furthest point.

In this case I hae heard it takes less than 2 hours to cross the main contenient in DF.  IIRC it takes about 20 minutes to cross that island in WOW... so those scales are way off.

This is by no means an exact science, especially with how little we do know.   But if you wish to see the source where he explains this, I invite you to read his explanation HERE.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

the guy admits it is not to scale just "how big it feels"

aka bullsh*t

• jy88902jy88902 Member Posts: 293
    Originally posted by miagisan

the guy admits it is not to scale just "how big it feels"
    aka bullsh*t

I did get a chuckle after reading a leaker confirming that the Darkfall world is basically many square tiles sewn together as the map suggests and that the boundaries are pretty distinct and noticeable.

Square tiles? In 2009? Really?

• strongaxestrongaxe Member Posts: 848

Yeah didnt they calculate the distance on Agon based on the amount of time it take to run from one cap city to the next (closest one).  Pretty sweet how big the world is going to be.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Paragus1

Originally posted by Gyrus

This is by no means an exact science, especially with how little we do know.   But if you wish to see the source where he explains this, I invite you to read his explanation HERE.

OK - maybe the scale is not as far out as I originally thought.  I would have used a more meaningful sample though.  90seconds of running is not very long.  30 minutes gives a more meaningful measure - and negates games with 'sprint' buffs.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• jakojakojakojako Member Posts: 332

Darkfall Doesn't exist (as far as we know at least)

If darkfall doesn't exist, than neither does Agon

If Agon doesn't exist, its size cannot be compared to that of an existing plane.

GG

• WildbeardWildbeard Member UncommonPosts: 137

again the fans, and me cheer soflty yet enthusiastic , while these demonpossessed trolls shout rape and pillage.

Very nice comparison and very nicely done,

Is it correct? , noone can say atm , but i am inclined to believe it.

• RasputinRasputin Member UncommonPosts: 602

I believe Agon is MUCH bigger than what is shown in the picture.

It takes me 3-5 minutes to run through a zone in WoW. Try to run through Elwynn Forest and then across Redridge Mountains (which is across the entire continent). I swear, it will take you AT MOST 10 minutes. You may even be able to do it in 7-8 minutes.

Agon will take longer to run across percentage-wise, than what is shown in the picture.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

That approximation is a complete failure:

1: The one who made the approximation used only data from a beta leak blog, that walking from one capital city to another would take 30-40 minutes.

a) He didn't tell us wether he used the value halfway between those estimations (35 minutes) or some other value from the value range for his own purposes

b) He didn't tell us, wether he approximated at all how much the real path walked in Darkfall may be longer than the straight line between capital cities. If he didn't approximate at all the fact that one shouldn't be able to walk straight path in a game like Darkfall, that creates immediately a huge error. If he did approximate, that creates a huge error margin

2: To measure the WoW map, he used only 90 seconds data sample of walking on flat ground and taking screenshots of his progress on the map. 90 seconds walked is too small distance to move much on map of Kalimdor's side. That means it's likely that there's quite big error on Kalimdor's map too

3: Since Darkfall isn't launched yet and that data isn't verifiable, who are we to tell that it's not an intented leak of fake information by Darkfall developers?

PS. I wish that Darkfall world would be that big and full of content. I just think it's better to wait and see until the game is released instead of trusting at what is more wild speculations than anything else.

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459
    Originally posted by New_to_MMO

Originally posted by Syyth007

I would assume it is going to seem rather empty. Wouldn't a lot of that space be used on player cities?

If they are all implemented... there are supposed to be 97 buildable clan sites. 

Per this link:

www.scribd.com/doc/9082373/Darkfall-Interviews

There are 44  clan city sites and 53 clan village/hamlet sites.  You can't just build anyway.  You have to find the special pre-designated areas and build in the pre-designated spots. 

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I don't know what the big deal is about a huge map.

Crowded is better than empty for PvP. I don't want it to be small, especially with people wanting to build cities, and nations, but I do want conflict.

I've played a lot of MMO's, and it seems like almost all have gone backward in the landscape. Like they want to make more so they don't put the effort into making every bit of it special.

Make cliffs and mountains and better stuff and even if it's smallish people will have fun. Bigger is what expansion means.

Asdar

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

From what I've seen in the game play videos, the normal run speed in DF is much slower than in WoW. Really slow running speed adds to the size of the game world. Going by that alone, the comparison is not accurate at all.

I have not seen any videos that depict a character sprinting, so I cannot comment on it.

What I'm trying to say is that the person wasted his time. Then again, I'm sure he made himself and thousands of other fanbots feel much better about the game. So maybe it wasn't a waste of time.

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

Bah, EVE Online still reigns for largest game "world"

About 5500 systems * (1AU (93 million miles) * AU distance of planets)

Obviously my math sucks, but you get the point. But it's kind of stupid comparing a galaxy to a land mass(es).

I would put Vanguard or Anarchy Online as two of the biggest MMO maps I've seen, really hard to determine the exact size though.

• decade85decade85 Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by Rasputin

It takes me 3-5 minutes to run through a zone in WoW. Try to run through Elwynn Forest and then across Redridge Mountains (which is across the entire continent). I swear, it will take you AT MOST 10 minutes. You may even be able to do it in 7-8 minutes.
    Agon will take longer to run across percentage-wise, than what is shown in the picture.

PC Gamer calculated the size of Azeroth in their Holiday 2008 issue. It took them 18 minutes and 15 seconds to run accross Elwynn Forest, on foot, in a straight line (which wasn't easy to do according to them), from the entrance to Westfall to the entrance to Redridge mountains (or just a little north actually for the straight line to work). In that ammount of time, the average human walks at about 3.5 mph. After calculating it all out just Kalimdoor, and the Eastern Kingdom came out to 70 square miles.

Until people can start putting together data like that, this conversation isn't worth much. I think everyone on this forum can appreciate 70 square miles. For those who are still having trouble, it's about the size of Washington D.C.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by decade85

PC Gamer calculated the size of Azeroth in their Holiday 2008 issue. It took them 18 minutes and 15 seconds to run accross Elwynn Forest, on foot, in a straight line (which wasn't easy to do according to them), from the entrance to Westfall to the entrance to Redridge mountains (or just a little north actually for the straight line to work). In that ammount of time, the average human walks at about 3.5 mph. After calculating it all out just Kalimdoor, and the Eastern Kingdom came out to 70 square miles.

Until people can start putting together data like that, this conversation isn't worth much. I think everyone on this forum can appreciate 70 square miles. For those who are still having trouble, it's about the size of Washington D.C.

Also considering the game is made by a European company, they will most likely measure in Kilometers, which will also make it seem like its bigger.

Example: 70 sq miles is about 200sq kilometers.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• decade85decade85 Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by fyerwall

Originally posted by decade85

Also considering the game is made by a European company, they will most likely measure in Kilometers, which will also make it seem like its bigger.

Example: 70 sq miles is about 200sq kilometers.

Interesting to note...

I read somewhere at one time the size of SWG. If I remember right, each planet was approx. 92 square kilometers, not including Kashyyyk, or Mustafar. That leaves 10 planets with a total of 920 sq kilometers (350+ square miles). If you go back and look, I'm pretty sure it held the Guiness book of world records for largest game (in square footage) in the world for a certain category... it may still hold that title, but I'm not sure.

That may not be the case... I just checked out http://swg.tault.com and they say that SWG has 200+ square miles... a lot less than 350, but still very large by any standard.