Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Discussion on 6v6 RvR

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com's new Warhammer Online Correspondent Charles Kinkel writes this article bringing up the debate and the emrits of small group RvR combat in Mythic's Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

Warhammer Online Screenshot

I've been participating in, and enjoying, Player versus Player, or PvP, combat in games since the text MUD days over Telnet. Ever since I had my first encounter with this system of battling other players for loot, fame, and glory I was hooked on this concept as being superior to any Player versus Environment or PvE style content because players could learn and adapt, NPCs could not. And like any tactician who's seeking to "one up" his opponent, we would form alliances of players for protection. With a focus on using our individual skills in the most efficient method to defeat our enemies.

Read Discussion on 6v6 RvR

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• SloppyApeSloppyApe Member Posts: 26

WAR was a huge disappointment in the Group vs. Group aspect this article talks about. I was a huge fan of 8v8 in DAoC and was hoping to recreate some of those fond memories of taking on up to 10x our numbers just due to being more organized. But this is simply impossible in WAR and never will be.

Unfortunately the successful button spamming 'skills' we see from games like WoW are useful in WAR. I believe the lack of 100% interrupts is what WoWified WAR. My point is that needed player skill is much lower to be successful in WAR over DAoC.

Lets face it, people want easy games and not a challenge. People that played 8v8 or even hardcore WoW arena (I know, it even hurts me to say it) are not the average player. The average player is one of the people that were in the zerg we farmed in our 8 mans. Lol, with that said it makes sense why DAoC's population is so low now eh?

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by SloppyApe
    WAR was a huge disappointment in the Group vs. Group aspect this article talks about. I was a huge fan of 8v8 in DAoC and was hoping to recreate some of those fond memories of taking on up to 10x our numbers just due to being more organized. But this is simply impossible in WAR and never will be.
    Unfortunately the successful button spamming 'skills' we see from games like WoW are useful in WAR. I believe the lack of 100% interrupts is what WoWified WAR. My point is that needed player skill is much lower to be successful in WAR over DAoC.
    Lets face it, people want easy games and not a challenge. People that played 8v8 or even hardcore WoW arena (I know, it even hurts me to say it) are not the average player. The average player is one of the people that were in the zerg we farmed in our 8 mans. Lol, with that said it makes sense why DAoC's population is so low now eh?

8v8 and you taking 10x more players does not make any sense whatsoever, but apart from that I agree with WAR feeling very "wowified". Personally I had hoped WAR would support smaller more organized forms of PvP rather than big zergs where, in oRvR, the biggest team will win, almost regardless of team-setup, or, as in scenarios, it's all about the healers. In the end the game is focusing too much on mindlessness and too little on organization to appeal to me.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

Too much of their game design tends towards zerging.

1) Tier 4 zones are too small and just seem to be mostly tunnels for herding one zerg into another.

2) In any type of RL warfare you need to hold and maintain supply lines to be able to push the battle front forwards. Battle objectives should have to be held to attack keeps/fortresses and have no 15 minute lockout. This would mean you have to break up a zerg to defend these BO's so you can attack a keep. Say make holding 1 BO makes keep attackable while holding 2 BO's makes door half strength.

3) A single ramp up to a keep/fortress lord. What else are people going to do but zerg. Makes defense fun and attack not so much. I've defended a keep with 3 groups and single healer against approx 3 warbands.

Too late to change 1.......shouldn't be too difficult to change 2........................Possible to change 3 but needs a total redesigning of keeps which aint gonna happen quickly.

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

The problem with RvR in WAR goes far deeper than just people zerging everywhere. It runs deep into scenarios and the retarded reward system they have in place for keeps, as well as the overall limited space to have these battles since they decided to chunk everything up into little zones with two keeps per area. You could go on for hours/pages with everything that was done wrong, WoW-Like combat amongst it. I'm not against the scale itself, WAR has always been about huge battles, and the last thing I would want to see in WAR would be more of that "Arena is all about da skillz lulz!" BS that WoW has. But the way they went about it was totally backwards considering their experience with DAoC.

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

I agree but this discussion is about 6v6 and was just saying the game is more zerg than small group at the moment. My biggest gripe is the most renown/influence should come from killing players in RvR not from scenarios or PvE'ing keeps and battlefield objectives. Too many people avoid fighting altogether if they can.

Player 1: "Oh look Order/Destruction are in Reikland taking keeps"

Player 2: "Lets to to Dragonwake then and take the keep. We can head to Reikland when Order/Destruction are finished"

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

The reason the keep system is kinda borked is because it wasn't part of the original design.  Evidently Mythic devs were busy huffing paint when they came up with the original content and weren't going to have keep sieges at all.

Then they sniffed glue by trying to move AWAY from DAOC's realm warfare system.  I don't know what they were thinking.  So now, they are belatedly patching DAOC mechanics back into the game, and it's not going all that smoothly.  Hmm, I wonder why?

Anyway, Things that are missing from small group rvr:  (other than small groups)

Fast movement.

Large enough terrain to manuever and have small scale combat.

Skills that require, well...skills.  (Nothing leet here...but there are not really any reactionaries, not many positionals..no real sense of timing required, etc.  It's all just GCD and WoW timers.)  DAOC UI was waaay cooler...except most people didn't realize it.  Well..the UI kinda sucked, but the combat system was better and more in depth.

Those that play...have you ever really been in a 1v1 fight?  It's boring as hell. 2v1 fights and small groups are a little better, but they designed this game from the ground up as zerg vs. zerg, and it shows.

That in itself is not that bad, but WTF....Siege pads?  No destroyable walls?  Siege damage is pitiful at best?  A 4 foot tall dwarf can punt me 100 yards, but a ballista bolt to the face at point blank range does nothing?

No real benefits for claiming a keep for defense?  No higher walls, extra obstacles, hero guards? anything?

No mobs in rvr zones?  Just an empty field to funnel people at each other?

Yeah, there's lots to work on, which, ironically, they would have hit right on the head if they wouldn't have run away from daoc so much.

As much as a rant as that sounds like, I'm still enjoying the game, but shaking my head in confusion at all the things they missed badly with the initial implementation.

• SloppyApeSloppyApe Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by daelnor

The reason the keep system is kinda borked is because it wasn't part of the original design.  Evidently Mythic devs were busy huffing paint when they came up with the original content and weren't going to have keep sieges at all.
    Then they sniffed glue by trying to move AWAY from DAOC's realm warfare system.  I don't know what they were thinking.  So now, they are belatedly patching DAOC mechanics back into the game, and it's not going all that smoothly.  Hmm, I wonder why?
    Anyway, Things that are missing from small group rvr:  (other than small groups)
    Fast movement.
    Large enough terrain to manuever and have small scale combat.
    Skills that require, well...skills.  (Nothing leet here...but there are not really any reactionaries, not many positionals..no real sense of timing required, etc.  It's all just GCD and WoW timers.)  DAOC UI was waaay cooler...except most people didn't realize it.  Well..the UI kinda sucked, but the combat system was better and more in depth.
    Those that play...have you ever really been in a 1v1 fight?  It's boring as hell. 2v1 fights and small groups are a little better, but they designed this game from the ground up as zerg vs. zerg, and it shows.
    That in itself is not that bad, but WTF....Siege pads?  No destroyable walls?  Siege damage is pitiful at best?  A 4 foot tall dwarf can punt me 100 yards, but a ballista bolt to the face at point blank range does nothing?
    No real benefits for claiming a keep for defense?  No higher walls, extra obstacles, hero guards? anything?
    No mobs in rvr zones?  Just an empty field to funnel people at each other?
    Yeah, there's lots to work on, which, ironically, they would have hit right on the head if they wouldn't have run away from daoc so much.
    As much as a rant as that sounds like, I'm still enjoying the game, but shaking my head in confusion at all the things they missed badly with the initial implementation.

I agree, and I'm sure the failures of WAR extend even further from your examples. But this article is specifically about 6v6.

The lack of small scale fighting is what killed the game for me. Oh well, atleast WAR gave me something to do for a few months.

• hembothembot Member Posts: 14

Good article that will appeal to the niche base of players who want smaller combat. Thank the MMO gods no "arena" was mentioned. there's a big difference between a set up match and the variables associated with cresting a hill or copse of trees to pounce on an enemy.

What I find lacking isn't so much the skills required to play the game detracting from it's "fun factor". If this were a niche game, I'm sure many of us would be rolling around in 6's on the 10 available servers and having the time of our lives. Unfortunately Mythic/EA were shooting for mass appeal. What appeals to the masses?

Rewards.

We saw it in oRvR (RvE?) with inf rewards added because the xp/rr wasn't enough. My problem from before influence is that this system never supported small scale combat through the use of pool'd rewards per objective that split depending on the number of people present. Instead everyone gets the same reward whether 3 players accomplish a feat or 90 players accomplish the feat.

Recently they announced Fortress lords scale due to the attacking population but do Keeps? Bo's? No. That is where Mythic fails those of us who want to run in 6's but can't find anyone but a 32-96 player group running around RvE's keeps most of the time.

It's been mentioned on both VN and WHA but Mythic likes to ignore us.

• SocietyXSocietyX Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 2

Glad to see you guys are mostly in agreement on the article. I didn't want to paint it out like 6v6 was alive and well in WAR but simply present some facts on the status of it so that perhaps maybe some people would be enlightened. Maybe even Mythic.

Being also a big fan of smaller scale fighting and obviously skill overcoming zerg in an ideal situation I had high hopes for the ability to form a small guild with friends and select few skilled players and still be able to tackle the games offering based on RVR. Obviously that hasn't worked out so well since the focus has been put so hugely on large numbers.  So I feel alot of your pain as well, even though I still enjoy WAR for what it is. It's just not DAoC or even UO.

“The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com and its management.”