Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stargate Worlds: First SG-1 Screenshot

2»

Comments

• SomebodyOverThereSomebodyOverThere Member Posts: 44

I have watched SG-1 off and on with various interest (some months/years with great interest and others not so intense interest) over the years. Although I barely watch it anymore, (college homework) in my opinion it has gone downhill over recent years. I still watch it every now and then though, actually a lot more on the Atlantis side. I could care less about graphics in MMORPGs. I just want my MMORPG to *generally* keep up with the times, but gameplay is a thousand times more important than graphics.

But seriously, this company is touting that screenshot as something GOOD in the game? There is nothing wrong with that game's graphics in general, but whether it is the engine's graphical capacity limitations or just the artists using the engine, as someone who is not really a big fan of SG1, just a casual watcher....those characters are complete garbage! I don't even care if i ever see SG1 in the game (if i even play this game), but this is a complete joke. If this is the best they can do, they shouldn't have even tried to make the sg1 series characters, and I cannot believe they are in any way demonstrating this art/graphics/rendering of SG1 Series characters as a positive aspect of the game. Some people are saying that it is nit-picking to criticize this. But the company is the one that is touting this SS! They were the ones that brought it up to be reviewed by the community. And these characters, after review, are silly. It is like saying "I am going to draw a pretty good picture of a person" and then drawing a stick-figure.

• lvlanooblvlanoob Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by mrprogguy

Hey,  none of the game toons is going to look like any of you guys, so what's the beef?
    Maybe there were issues getting licenses to use the particular actor's likenesses.  Could just be a legal thing. I  wouldn't read too much into it.
    "CrapG-1" indeed,  Aren't you the clever boy?

And they just 'happen' to have a darker skinned toon resembling Tealq of SG1? (Dunno if that is spelled right lol).  I think if they have the right to use the Stargate name they would have the right to use the likeness of the actors that the show became famous on. I just think so far they did a bad job of it.

Personally, I hope first impressions are not lasting ones. I'm not impressed so far. But the game is in early stages and has a long way to go. I hope it looks more 'realistic' in the end.

---------------------------------
    Mean People Suck

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

OMG! This has to be a joke.  Where did they get those graphics from, early 2000?  And for all of you that say graphics are not everything, then go to RuneScape that should be right up your alley.  WEll to tell you the truth it is pretty much expected with the way they run their forums, they way they ran their first closed BETA and of course their money problems and their fan base, they could of put out a couple of stick figures and their fan base would be doing high 5's,,maybe if we went to their store and bought a couple T-shirts they could atleast get the graphics up to 2005 standards.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

These guys have the license rights from MGM and i believe can do whatever they want in making the game look exactly like the series.

This CME seems to have a decent budget a decent staff and claim they strive for the highest standards?

I believe they are a smart and professional outfit,but so far everything i have seen,looks CHEAP with a Capitol C.I don't know why?,someone at the top of the food chain,must have convinced everyone that WOW is successful because they made the game playable on cheap PC's lol,i hope this was not their train of thought.

CME claims to strive for the reaching edge of technology and pay extra cash to bring in whatever it takes from other engines ,software?so far i see nothing that indicates this.I think perhaps i am a dummy and am reading the typical marketing hype ,EVERY company does for themselves.

CME does more than gaming,but they have a fairly large payroll,some pretty big names in there,wonder what they are doing to fund this outfit?

I know i here it all too often,the game means a heck of a lot more than the graphics,well not in this case.It is different here because the game is trying to COPY, look like the series and all their fans KNOW what they expect to see from it.I think it will be a turn off for the fans if it looks too cheap,i mean evident already in this thread as people commenting on the player models.Evident already when players complained of the cheap looking pew pew in the first two released videos.

GRAPHICS means a heck of a lot more than what people think or say they do,the responses so far to the game proves it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132
    Originally posted by Aguitha

Wow are they supposed to look like the actors ?  Cause they dont !   The only one that look somehow close to the TV show character is Carter.  O'neil doesnt even look "close" of Richard Dean Anderson.

atleast they are wearing clothes now

• judex99judex99 Member UncommonPosts: 392

the

Teal'c

feet

• FailFail Member Posts: 34

Well, I dont like it. It should be called Stargate Worlds: The journey to the past of computer graphics 

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

Lol. You guys don't know the half of it...

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

At least they take the time to make improvements...

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• boingedboinged Member UncommonPosts: 161

O'Neill is pretty close for an MMO. Carter and Daniel are are vaguely similar to the TV characters - think it's mainly the hair that's wrong. Teal'C looks like a completely different person and the expression and pose make him look like he's shocked/angry/just filled his pants.

• FlummoxedFlummoxed Member Posts: 591

yikes.  That's really bad by todays's standards.

If they're going to release stuff with the intention of impressing people with what they're doing -"Hey everyone look at THIS!"  then they need to do better on the art  and rendering engine.

A staged shot in 3D Studio Max would look 100x better, but if this is from the actual in-game engine then uh oh.  Looks like one of those freeware things you can get at tucows.

edit: after looking at it again the head / hand / foot proportions are wrong on All the characters, especially Teal'c  *snicker* .  The artist needs to retake Human Anatomy 101.

• loyaltrekieloyaltrekie Member Posts: 105

It is an early April Fools joke, no company would doom itself that bad by releasing something that is remotley this bad. It wouldn't have been so bad if they didn't say  "SG-1", I mean I can sorta see the "likeness" but really? If its supposed to tactually look anything remotely like them then CME is doing it wrong.

• UruktosUruktos Member Posts: 153

These graphics are a disgrace to UE3 engine. Epic should revoke the UE3 license.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

I just love SG-1 (own all the seasons) and was anticipating the launch of this game...but these look horrible and bear little, to no likeness to the actual actors.  Honestly, I wouldn't have guessed it was SG-1 unless I was told.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Christ...could you all do me a favor...I know you don't know me but..could someone PM me when the world (and everything within) becomes as perfect as you all expect ...just to let me know. I'll be actually enjoying the good aspects of life and of various virtual lives/mmos  and not nitpicking  over every F@cking thing like a whiny little biatch .Until then...thanks.