Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yes SWG fans, all your fears are justified

This is going to be a "modern" MMO, like the popular World of Warcraft. This is not going to be a sandbox MMO, like the old Star Wars Galaxies. You will follow the quest lines, have zones that are meant for specific levels, do a lot of soloing, have a crafting system that's no more than a nice extra, have only combat classes, etc.

It's true. The only thing SW:ToR shares with SWG is the setting. The games will be nothing alike. If you have not played WoW yet, do so now, and you might be able to enjoy SW:ToR when it is released. I do hope we have a nice community with many SW fans, but if you don't get SWG out of your system you will be disappointed.

Comments

• MasterCrysisMasterCrysis Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by GrumpyJester

This is going to be a "modern" MMO, like the popular World of Warcraft. This is not going to be a sandbox MMO, like the old Star Wars Galaxies. You will follow the quest lines, have zones that are meant for specific levels, do a lot of soloing, have a crafting system that's no more than a nice extra, have only combat classes, etc.
    It's true. The only thing SW:ToR shares with SWG is the setting. The games will be nothing alike. If you have not played WoW yet, do so now, and you might be able to enjoy SW:ToR when it is released. I do hope we have a nice community with many SW fans, but if you don't get SWG out of your system you will be disappointed.

what makes you think its gonna be like world of warcraft? i entirely disagree with you. i don't think its gonna be like warcraft.

it won't be a sandbox either. but if they make the character customization anything similiar to the KOTOR games, then characters will have some skill select sandbox type features possibly.

• jadan2000jadan2000 Member UncommonPosts: 508

I agree that this game will be nothing liek SWG, but they havent showed one thing to make me think this game will be anything like WOW. I dont know why you even said that. It just sounds like your trying to rev peoples engines with ignorant statements?

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

First off, the people who like SWG before the NGE realize that game is dead and buried. They also have a good idea what this game will be if they ever played KOTOR.

Second off, it you take away the FPS like combat system from the NGE, THAT would be more like WOW than TOR will ever be.

-Questing.um MISSIONS given by NPCs that say "GO here,kill x amount of bad guys and return to me" which gives you XP. Sound familiar?

-Instanced zones . Sound familiar?

-A gain of points every two levels that can be used to "enhance" your character's skills. Sound familiar?

-An economy NOt run by players but by the game itself.Crafting is only a side job, it isn't one done as a sole profession for profit because the best items are looted, not crafted. Sound familiar?

-PVP that consists of entering zones. You can also duel with others if you wish. Sound familiar?

The makers of TOR said that the game is much more intensive than (collecting 5 roses and returning to NPC). In WOW, what you do in game has no bearing on what happens. NOTHING.NADA. The world doesn't change if I kill a King BOss in whatever lair.  He simply respawns for the next guy. If the developers turn out to be right, this should add much more immersion than what we've seen from MMOs before.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• VGTheoryVGTheory Member Posts: 110

I'd say to get accustomed to it you should play KOTOR and KOTOR 2 while on vent with your friends who are also playing KOTOR and KOTOR 2.  That pretty much sums up what I believe SWTOR will be like.

Oh, except with less player interaction.

• Proximo521Proximo521 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by VGTheory

I'd say to get accustomed to it you should play KOTOR and KOTOR 2 while on vent with your friends who are also playing KOTOR and KOTOR 2.  That pretty much sums up what I believe SWTOR will be like.

Holy Crap! Really!? You must be a Bioware employee. No... Wait you must have played the game already... right?

Your entire post is an assumption! Nothing more. What you should have said was.... I have no freaking clue what this game is about. But since I have never played it and since its still in PRE ALPHA, I will assume this MMO is just like Kotor except you can talk to people. How bout this, next time try reading the FAQ section on swtor.com...

http://www.swtor.com/info/faq

Just an FYI or a heads up. It gives you just a little bit of information. Just enough so you can get a taste but they leave you hanging for a reason. To get you excited about the game. The problem is.... They are purposely not putting a lot of information out there. People like to take Bioware sentences and want to finish them. Yet all the people that seem to act like they know how this game is going to be... HAVE NO IDEA! I have no idea what this game is like. Because they JUST announced it was coming out 3 months ago. They have 1 freakin video of how it would look. So I have no idea, just curious how you came to yours?

Cheers!

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

sorry OP but really.. do you have any clue as to what your talking about? Do you know when its going to be launched? Do you know how many changes will happen between now and then? What is said today can be gone tomorrow. So take anything with a grain of salt.

Wait til beta starts then start this up..

• VGTheoryVGTheory Member Posts: 110
    Originally posted by Proximo521

Holy Crap! Really!? You must be a Bioware employee. No... Wait you must have played the game already... right?

Your entire post is an assumption! Nothing more. What you should have said was.... I have no freaking clue what this game is about. But since I have never played it and since its still in PRE ALPHA, I will assume this MMO is just like Kotor except you can talk to people. How bout this, next time try reading the FAQ section on swtor.com...

http://www.swtor.com/info/faq

Just an FYI or a heads up. It gives you just a little bit of information. Just enough so you can get a taste but they leave you hanging for a reason. To get you excited about the game. The problem is.... They are purposely not putting a lot of information out there. People like to take Bioware sentences and want to finish them. Yet all the people that seem to act like they know how this game is going to be... HAVE NO IDEA! I have no idea what this game is like. Because they JUST announced it was coming out 3 months ago. They have 1 freakin video of how it would look. So I have no idea, just curious how you came to yours?

Cheers!

I stated that this was my belief, and made no claims to having inside information, or being a Bioware employee, but your sarcasm is noted.

During the gameplay video you mention (of which there is about 30 seconds of combat and limited actual alpha game footage) the gameplay consists entirely of 1 v 1 fights.   Bioware's statements lead me to believe that they are focusing primarily on the single-player experience over the group and raid elements of the game, and are relying heavily on their experiences with KOTOR.

I have a feeling that Bioware, while the veritable king of good games, especially good single-player epic games, is not suited to making a MMORPG.  Additionally, I believe that LucasArts, in their infinite wisdom, will meddle and ensure that the game is "Star Warsy" enough to put it in an early grave. 

And yes, I do firmly believe it will be KOTOR with a few minor multiplayer elements, and only one companion.

• hanshotfirsthanshotfirst Member UncommonPosts: 712

Good. The SWG Veteran Refuge forums are this way --->

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/6/view/forums/forum/802

Don't let the door hit ya, where the Enraged Rancor split ya, and all that.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

/shakes his head a t the op

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

OP, this is not news.  Developers confirmed quite sometime ago they had no plans to develop a sandbox, player influenced world, but rather intended to deliver a game that used interactive story telling to involve the player deeply into the plot. (sort of like...the single player games did)

Won't be WOW, but sure won't be anything like SWG pre-cu.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

K I'm just gonna pretend the OP is not trolling here..

I'm gonna take what BioWare said at face value when they said the game will have something in it for everyone and every play style. I was posting about what I would like to see in a Star Wars MMO as far back as 2006 along with other people. I'm sure by now they have an idea what works in SWG, and what does not, what is boring about other MMOs, and what isn't. Some stuff we enjoyed about SWG we may never see, because it just can’t be balanced and fun for everyone, just a small group. Fine, whatever. Seriously, do you really want a game world like we had (another poster mentioned this below)

“The quest syestem at launch was basicly via terminals, which gave a good read and cool description of a mission, but every time what you had to do was drive 3K miles to some random location in the middle of nowhere to encounter 3 storm troopers chillin by a flag doing jumping jacks, clapping or dancing. Then, after your 1st shot, you stood there and shot them at point blank for a minute and a half while they punched you. Now they are all dead, so you have to shoot a flag for a half an hour untill it is destroyed in a spectacular explosion. Mission acomplished. Now do this about 9 billion times.”

That about sums it up, you want this for TOR? Why? So no one will play it, and just laugh when you even mention it? No thanks. For real, I was a little upset at SOE for changing things in SWG for a few years, now I could give a crap less about SWG, though I will say there are things I did like, resource gathering, the character customization, having a house you could decorate or just dump your crap in (types of skills you could have, be it camping, harvesting, crafting, creature skills) That stuff was cool and I hope we see it again, but at this point all BioWare has done is hint at these things, all we can do is wait a bit longer.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

OP:

I'm shocked that people actually still think this will be a sequel to SWG. Get a grip people, please.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• g.killramg.killram Member Posts: 62

the real question is will the game be managed like swg

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

I like WoW, I liked SWG. I'm thinking I'll probably like ToR.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • KoolaiderKoolaider Member Posts: 450

Some people need to think hard before posting things on the Internet.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    I have a feeling that Bioware, while the veritable king of good games, especially good single-player epic games, is not suited to making a MMORPG. Additionally, I believe that LucasArts, in their infinite wisdom, will meddle and ensure that the game is "Star Warsy" enough to put it in an early grave.

And yes, I do firmly believe it will be KOTOR with a few minor multiplayer elements, and only one companion.

And the problem of this is?

• TeranHawkinsTeranHawkins Member Posts: 279

I cant WAIT for TOR to come out!!!!!  A big void was left in my mmo life when SWG died to the NGE.  Wasting time with WoW until the day TOR comes out.  The day that TOR launches I will cancel my WoW and be a happy little Jedi.

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835
    Originally posted by tillamook

K I'm just gonna pretend the OP is not trolling here..
    I'm gonna take what BioWare said at face value when they said the game will have something in it for everyone and every play style. I was posting about what I would like to see in a Star Wars MMO as far back as 2006 along with other people. I'm sure by now they have an idea what works in SWG, and what does not, what is boring about other MMOs, and what isn't. Some stuff we enjoyed about SWG we may never see, because it just can’t be balanced and fun for everyone, just a small group. Fine, whatever. Seriously, do you really want a game world like we had (another poster mentioned this below)

“The quest syestem at launch was basicly via terminals, which gave a good read and cool description of a mission, but every time what you had to do was drive 3K miles to some random location in the middle of nowhere to encounter 3 storm troopers chillin by a flag doing jumping jacks, clapping or dancing. Then, after your 1st shot, you stood there and shot them at point blank for a minute and a half while they punched you. Now they are all dead, so you have to shoot a flag for a half an hour untill it is destroyed in a spectacular explosion. Mission acomplished. Now do this about 9 billion times.”

That about sums it up, you want this for TOR? Why? So no one will play it, and just laugh when you even mention it? No thanks. For real, I was a little upset at SOE for changing things in SWG for a few years, now I could give a crap less about SWG, though I will say there are things I did like, resource gathering, the character customization, having a house you could decorate or just dump your crap in (types of skills you could have, be it camping, harvesting, crafting, creature skills) That stuff was cool and I hope we see it again, but at this point all BioWare has done is hint at these things, all we can do is wait a bit longer.

Yup, pretty much says it all. SWG vets need to realize that for new games, you want something new. The great things in SWG might seem like rabbit turds to what bioware does. Stop limiting your imagination to what you already had. If you could do swg all over again, would you just keep something the same, or would you make it better? You know what sucked and why it sucked and why your friends quit throughout. Just say what you dream of and why it would be cool in this game.  swg is all you can dream up?

But if someone says they would like to see a maningful crafting system in this game, they shouldnt be stalked with why SWG was crap even if they didnt mention swg. You can take the worse parts from any game and make it sound like crap, and vice versa. Many people wish they had played SWG while it was "still here". Some people who got to play it, piss on its grave. People who like swg want it to have parts from it, people who like WOW want it to take the best from it. Bioware will do whatever they want no matter what..either way some will be disappointed. No one wants to discuss what Bioware has hinted at and where they might head though. More like a turf battle here except its only the same few.

And remember its bioware/ea and LA's game. They will give it to you. Let you have fun. Expose you temptations from the gods for a small donation, then take it all away. You can either Enjoy ithe time you are given and be thankful you got the chance or not play. No forum tears or bad pr from the disappointed can touch this one. EA might however:)

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

If you just look at the over all subscription numbers, you will see that themepark MMOs are far more popular than sandbox or sandbox wannabes.

Every MMO out now requires grouping for all of the good stuff, including WoW.  Thank God, this game will let you play 95% of the content solo, if you choose to.  I think this is the most wonderful feature they have announced so far.  Man I love Bioware  : )

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

They never said "Hey SWG guys were the game for you" I would have hoped they taken one look at the SWG vets and said screw em. It would have just taken one screw up on biowares part for them to be a bunch of rabid trolls because of what SOE did. There will not be a SWG2 get over it.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
    And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

Originally posted by Vrazule

If you just look at the over all subscription numbers, you will see that themepark MMOs are far more popular than sandbox or sandbox wannabes.
    Every MMO out now requires grouping for all of the good stuff, including WoW.  Thank God, this game will let you play 95% of the content solo, if you choose to.  I think this is the most wonderful feature they have announced so far.  Man I love Bioware  : )

Here is the proof you need to figure out the SWG was incomplete, Raph intended to for the game to have more, but SOE and LEC pushed it out. www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php He discussed even more on it in other postsings. It wasn't all about just the sandbox.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by Arndur

They never said "Hey SWG guys were the game for you" I would have hoped they taken one look at the SWG vets and said screw em. It would have just taken one screw up on biowares part for them to be a bunch of rabid trolls because of what SOE did. There will not be a SWG2 get over it.

Sooo...because I enjoyed SWG and was upset that they decided to change the game in some drastic way which completly took away my playing (had a doctor that made and sold stimpaks and otherstuff; That stuff can now no longer be made and is instead replaced with a "class ability") I deserve a "screw me"?

Just learned more than I ever needed to know about you and if I voiced those conclusions it'd only earn me a ban.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Sooo...because I enjoyed SWG and was upset that they decided to change the game in some drastic way which completly took away my playing (had a doctor that made and sold stimpaks and otherstuff; That stuff can now no longer be made and is instead replaced with a "class ability") I deserve a "screw me"?

Just learned more than I ever needed to know about you and if I voiced those conclusions it'd only earn me a ban.

Yeah, I feel like I'm fighting the still angry SWG vets and the newbie TOR fans who know nothing about either MMOS, or SWG.

Some points to consider.

1. SWG had many issues.

2. It wasn't a complete game at launch based on what Raph and others have said.

3. There are and were features in SWG that were great and deserve to be reborn into a new SW MMO.

4. Some things that people liked just will never work in any MMO.

5. There may be things you don't like in TOR.

6. They can't please everyone.

7. Try to find what you do like.

8. This isn't SOE.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by tillamook

Yeah, I feel like I'm fighting the still angry SWG vets and the newbie TOR fans who know nothing about either MMOS, or SWG.

Some points to consider.

1. SWG had many issues.

2. It wasn't a complete game at launch based on what Raph and others have said.

3. There are and were features in SWG that were great and deserve to be reborn into a new SW MMO.

4. Some things that people liked just will never work in any MMO.

5. There may be things you don't like in TOR.

6. They can't please everyone.

7. Try to find what you do like.

8. This isn't SOE.

I've never had any issue with you at all Till. We've often been on the opposite side of issues and we've agreed on things too. But it's people like Arndur making statements like that that compose the lowest common denominator of cestoda that can't see or think past their bothria.

I've seen alot of mouthing that there is somehow and mass intrusion of people wanting Bioware to make SWG2 yet I haven't read one post where anyone asks for that. I've seen some people, myself included, stating that there were some things that worked in SWG and that, if improved upon, would add value to any game, not just TOR.

But, some...beings...can't process in that capacity and only know to drone the rhetoric of those who aren't capable ofr formulating an informed, objective opinion.

I'm hungry which is only reason I must be letting the siphonaptera get to me. Must find food...

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• hanshotfirsthanshotfirst Member UncommonPosts: 712
    I've seen alot of mouthing that there is somehow and mass intrusion of people wanting Bioware to make SWG2 yet I haven't read one post where anyone asks for that. I've seen some people, myself included, stating that there were some things that worked in SWG and that, if improved upon, would add value to any game, not just TOR.

Would you concede that some people are dismissive (if not in outright denial) that there were things in SWG that did not work?

Would you even consider that perhaps, just perhaps, some of these people were fond of those features/mechanics precisely because they could be abused, exploited, and/or undermined the game, and that "improving" upon them would be the very antithesis of what they want?