Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Best New Game of 2008: Winner

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com is pleased to announce the winner of the 2008 Reader's Choice Award for Best New Game of 2008.

In the voting for Best New Game, 4252 votes were cast. The editorial nominees were: Age of Conan, Atlantica Online, Pirates of the Burning Sea , Warhammer Online, and None of the Above.

Of all of our categories, this one presented us with the tightest race between two nominees. Mythic’s Warhammer Online and the ominous None of the Above category battled it out with WAR coming out on top with 33% of the vote. 3% more than None of the Above.

Read the Best New Game of 2008: Winner

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• streeastreea Member UncommonPosts: 654

Grats to WAR and the team at Mythic. I'm glad the "none of the above" didn't win... I'm really sick of all the complainers who ignore the fact that just because a game doesn't have everything and more they want, it doesn't mean it can't be a good game. There are a LOT of good games out there, and WAR definitely was the best new game of 2008.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I voted for Warhammer as the time I spent in the game was an absolute blast.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Congrats Warhammer!

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

Grats on eeking out a victory over None of the Above. 

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448
    Originally posted by Thradar

Win.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Congrats to WAR and Mythic! Even if it didnt have a perfect launch it still was a very polished and fun game that almost lived up to the hype.

Im looking forward to try the game again :) (to busy playing LotrO now)

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by streea

Grats to WAR and the team at Mythic. I'm glad the "none of the above" didn't win... I'm really sick of all the complainers who ignore the fact that just because a game doesn't have everything and more they want, it doesn't mean it can't be a good game. There are a LOT of good games out there, and WAR definitely was the best new game of 2008.

I totally agree!!! I too get sick of all the troll dung some people seem to be so obsessed with writing.  It's like they are determined to be unhappy no matter what.

Anyway congrats to warhammer. I've never played the game but am watching it closely to see where mythic takes it.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I did not like the game, but it is still head and shoulders above the rest of the pack that was released this year.  Congrats to Mythic.

• JpizzleJpizzle Member Posts: 371
    Originally posted by streea

Exactly. It's at a point where developers won't want to make games, b/c they are bashed no matter what.

Publishers won't back them, b/c they can't make them in 3 years, but with 5 years of content.

and that's sad. Sure, there are some downsides to all games, but gamers are harping on that shit so much, they're making their own genre crumble from the inside.

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593

Gz to Mythic for a well deserved reward!

Tho the game is plagued by quite a few issues (some normal to new releases, some due to over-fussiness in design), it brings a lot of new good stuff into the mainstream mmo genre and it is playable and really enjoyable right out of the box.

While we have all been waiting for the next revolutionary game what we got is a nice new evolutionary step. Realistically, that is pretty much all we could have expected, considering the enormous production costs of AAA mmos - simply, this is not the way big corporations work. Let us be thankful that we've finally seen a AAA mmo that is PvP at its core... that's something, and not a small thing if you take into account the horrible "PvE quest or raid" paradigm that's been forced on big old MMOs from EQ onwards.

Imo, WAR is opening up new possibilities for future AAA mmos. It shows that PvP is not the boogey man those awful "free for all" grief-apocalypse attempts made it out to be. It is possible to create a popular, mainstream AAA mmo that is PvP oriented and which gives players a role (however limited) in shaping the world they share with other players. Developers, take heed - after WAR "hero's journey" MMOs are as good as dead and buried.

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529

I voted for AoC, but gratz to WAR and Mythic.

WAR has it's good points, but the bugs and terribad PvE content annoyed me. I love the PvP leveling system and I'm definitely going to check WAR out again in the future.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649

Gratz Mythic but.... I have to mention few things about the "none of the above" feature.

Alot of ppl voted for it.  Hell - almost 1/3rd...   Maybe thats not strange considering what some of these games had promised to deliver.  None of them did deliver on what they promised. 

What we learned most in the year 2008 is that new does not mean "massive".  Both WAR and AOC talked about masive fights with 100s of ppl.  Im not sure if AOC has 100s of ppl on their servers - but their Siege combat is defently nothing new when it comes to numbers.  And WAR is now plauged with server crashes and lagfest in their RVR.  The outcome is ... limit the number of players ....

So what we learned is that one huge part of what alot of ppl are after in MMO - Large scale battles are still not reality in the MMO world.  Even if the entire game is stripped down to bare bones when it comes to graphical quality (like war has done) to try to acomplish lagfree battles... it ends up beeing all for nothing.

So... None of the above is the true "winner" of this reward.    The thing is... Can there every be a best new MMO game ever again considering what the genre is turning into when it comes to new realeases ?  Maybe we should rather vote on the most improved game 2 years after release from now on ?  Sounds like more of a realistic aim than to hope for devs releasing anything other than empty promises that are then filled with bugs and problems when it comes down to it....

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

I wonder what would have happened if it was None of the Above.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

Congrates to Warhammer as it was clearly the best new release!  I'm amazed though with all the whiners on these posts that "none of the above" didn't win by a 75% margin, maybe there is hope for this board yet!

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

WTF WoW didnt win? they must have posted on thier forum to come and rig the vote!!!11111!!!

• GrifinGrifin Member Posts: 91

Finally,one I agree with grats war.

• abalabal Member UncommonPosts: 169

Most of the None of the Above were in fact AoC voters.

• brainardebrainarde Member Posts: 1

I played Destruction from clossed beta until a couple months into release. The game had/has great potential but I felt that Destruction was getting a short straw on every draw. The healers were outmatched compared to Order healers in the sense that Order healers are practically tanks and Destruction healers are soft. Other than that the game was beautiful and the quests were terrific. I might go back to it later this year, hopefully by then the unevenness will be gone. Congrats on the win Warhammer Online...

• ougaritougarit Member Posts: 317

Even if I don't like the game (def. not a DAOC like for me): hate BG, PVE is boring but IMO this game had the best launch of the year ( GOA lol I know) in the world

Boring game , kind of small wow like but a playable game.

best addon MoM

Best MMO (easy choice between AOC and War release) War

Seems fine

(forget dfo it's a mistake)

GL to W(OW)AR

• penandpaperpenandpaper Member UncommonPosts: 174

Congrats War!  You deserve it. 

I've been playing this game for awhile and love it.  My first experience with PvP.  Very fun.  The "public quest" system is a great innovation too.  The graphics are nice, and the learning curve has been about perfect for my taste. 

I do have one bone to pick though, and it might be due to the fact that I'm a casual gamer.  (Never had a character above 30 in the past 10 MMO's I've played = 2-3 hours a week.)  But AoC being last.  I thought the first twenty levels were phenomenal.  I liked the day and night time quests.  I enjoyed the story line, and the "grayness" of the subject matter.  I thought the music was perfect, and the feel of the game was nice too.  Perhaps there were issues (like PvP or after 30th lvl) that I'm ignorant about.  But, to be below Atlantica Online - that's just silly.  It was mature, better graphics, nice story arching.  I just don't see it.

Back to Warhammer - Thank you for making a great game!  Congrats.

• UbieUbie Member Posts: 185

Congrats to War and Mythic. Very well deserved

• Khaine72Khaine72 Member Posts: 1

Agreed-

AoC , PotBS , and WAR are all examples to devs not to not make mmorpg's , they are examples for them of what not to do and should be looked at in such a light 

• _Shadowmage_Shadowmage Member Posts: 1,459

Originally posted by Ravanos
    WTF WoW didnt win? they must have posted on thier forum to come and rig the vote!!!11111!!!

WOW released an expansion - not a new game.

We need a most improved Game from a 2008 release so AOC and POTBS can duke it out.
  • Keeper2000Keeper2000 Member UncommonPosts: 637

Gratz Mythic.  The game needs improving and fixing but still was the best in 2008 can be become one of the best MMOs in the market.  So I hope Mythic keeps up the good work and improves this game to reach all it's potential.

• xbellx777xbellx777 Member Posts: 716

congrats mythic i voted for warhammer and i believe it was the best new game